sweetsonata

G◙ing Cr๑zy || Graphic Review [close]

sweetsonata

Program Used: I always use a multitude of smartphone apps, specifically Android, such as Blend Collage, Pixlr Express, and Phonto. They're always my go-to if I don't want to request at other graphic shops.
Detailed or Simple review: detailed
Message/Purpose of Graphic: I was writing a new story, and wanted to see if I could convey Chanyeol as something else other than his usual perky demeanor and attitude.
Your concerns, if any: Exactly that. I'm a little unsure if I conveyed the right emotions with the graphic. Sure, it's not exactly a typical happy poster, but I'm not too sure if you'd say it's a very dramatic poster either.

 

FIRST GLANCE/IMPRESSION
 
It's definitely not a typical happy poster, but I do agree it's more on the dramatic side(very heavy) because of his expression. Not sure about the girl since it looks like she's smiling (to me at least) and that could be the way you edit her. Though, you're more worried about the guy so let's focus on him. He has a harder expression and I don't know about this 'usual' attitude, but his face looks like someone had stepped into his comfort zone and he wants them to kindly step back from him. If I stare longer, it just looks like he's outright confused and wordless with a bit of curiousity. I really don't know what you're going for but it's definitely not a 'perky attitude' and as you say is the 'usual.'

Though, I'm more concern on why it looks so dark, but I will get into that soon.


MOOD AND THEMES
 
I am rather confused. Is this an angst/melodrama story? Their expressions tell me otherwise, the girl's especially since she looks happy. I also took a look at the story and none of the tags had mentioned it was something related to angst other than possibly the drama part of it. So I'm guessing it's not a major part of the story. You may want to consider what is your story mainly focused on as well. Is it the drama? The romance? The things we feel with some slice of life? I think once you've settled on one of these things, that's how you should focus on the entire outlook of your story. People are seeing this at a glance and with that one single look, they may choose to read it or not. Some may even go to the trouble of looking at the genre, but really, if you have a poster on your story, that's how your story will be judged on the spot and why I'm suggesting for you to choose a genre to tie your story to as the focus.

 
COLOR HARMONY
 
At a very quick glance, I would have assumed it was an angst poster because the colors are very saturated and doesn't have much vibrance to support the theme. Maybe it's also because of the girl's photo. She looks utterly happy and innocent to me and that's very contradicting with the color unless she meant it in a sad/weary way. The colors around them are both rough and dark, like cruel and harmful things should be happening in the story. If that's not the intent, then I think you went a bit too far with darkening the color schemes and taking away the colors that would sustain the 'slice of life' theme. Also because the yellow you chose to highlight the poster is a dark yellow color and that emphasizes a sick and stomach turning feelings to the viewers. I can understand if it's for the 'artificial' effects of the story, but even artificial can seem real. It's about judging the looks of something and the most common way to tell something from what's real and what's fake are written in copyright, popular branding, feel of the object, tasting...etc. Anyway, my point is you should add some other color for the lively romance, drama, and slice of life to be present in this poster.


STOCK USES

There are very simple pictures put together and mostly I just see the couple and the legs walking above. There's not much to say about it but the girl is quite large in size and the guy is very semi-large. But his gaze is at the audience and that tells me he needs attention so really, my eyes are on him first before the girl even though she is larger. It also doesn't help that she has a more blurred complexion since her face is extremely pale and it's harder to identify her in comparison to the guy. I think maybe you add a bit more contrast to her so she can pop out more.

I think the photo you chose for the guy. He suits the theme of the poster (if that's what your story should be). Though placement wise, they're both facing the same direction; yes, it gives the poster a nice flow and yes, it gives a sense of readability on the text, but ignores the left side of the graphic completely. IT doesn't let the eyes of the audience travel elsewhere but to the right. I'd recommend changing some of the photos or simply flip them so they can be facing the opposite direction. Preferrably the couple since they are the main focus on the poster.

I'm not sure who is more worrisome over the 'artificial' life in your story, but I think to effectively portray this is through two images of the same person. One that has a lively sense and another without. It's simple comparison and I'm not sure if you would like to take this route since I'm unsure how heavy the drama is in your story. But it's an idea if you ever want to change the photos.
 

TYPOGRAPHY

I like how you used the gradient on the text, but I think the outline around the words are unnecessary. Considering the entire layout of the poster is mostly black and having that outlined on the text as well is adding more black. So I'd suggest taking out that outline entirely or you can change it to a difference color. Though the gradient itself already makes it eye-catching for the viewers along with the style of type, I think taking out some things would do.

For the typeface, I think you should limit the amount of cursives, especially on the quote. It's difficult to read even though the words are enlarged, but it could also be the black outline around it that makes it bigger. You may want to change the color so it can been seen instead of using a dark red color. Possible change the text to something with serifs and straighter typefaces? I notice the app Phonto is base upon type so why not explore other typefaces? I think even the pixlr express has a wide range- much more appealing too.


SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
 
With pure apps, the blending of the photos work really well. I think you have a good understanding of editing, but there are still things that bother me. The girl is a bit see-through with the image above her head. Maybe lower her on the poster so it's not so obvious that she's overlapping with another photo or if you like, make the contrast on her darker (in that particular area) so it blends more evenly together. Also, there is a reflection showing below the guy's photo and I'm not sure if that's intentional to keep it there. Maybe erase, blur it out, or smooth it out to make it blend more naturally with the graphic.
Also, the walking legs above the two is relatively darker than the lower part of the image. There is some contrast on the edges both left and right where the road leads down the poster and the shadows suddenly become lighter. Maybe blur or smooth out the outer edges of the road leading down to the couple. It will allow the eyes to roam down with more ease instead of being stuck where the contrast suddenly changes.
 

OVERALL

I think this would have been a nice poster for angst, but if that was not the intent, then I'd suggest you reconsider how you want the layout to look like. Though, I'm still thoroughly impress that you only used apps to edit this. I had a tough time navigating each of these and now I can understand why this looks the way it is. 
 
I hope this review was helpful. :)