taelite-

G◙ing Cr๑zy || Graphic Review [close]

taelite-

Detailed or Simple review: Detailed
Message/Purpose of Graphic: I just did the graphic out of boredom
Your concerns, if any : I just want to know if I overdo stuff, or something.

FIRST GLANCE/IMPRESSION
 
For a moment, I thought it was clean until I took a closer look at everything to find it is not. I agree, this is definitely the work of boredom and I say that for two main reasons: there are many layers of textures/stocks and I can't read the title. If this had an emphasis on a certain theme, for example 'sea', then I'd expect to see the sand, ocean, seashells...etc. clearly on the graphic, however, the outlook looks like it has too many textures/stocks and that really obscures what you're trying to show. I'm guessing the image on the right is the main focus of the image since she is staring straight at the audience, but as my eyes travel from one picture to another, everything begins to blur out and the images cover one another. Like the map is overlapping with her image on the left and I find it disturbing how morphed her face is on paper. I can understand if you want to draw less attention towards the larger picture in the back, but the appeal of using that certain stock is overpowered by the other images and it would be pointless to have an enlarged picture of herself there. I suggest clearing away some of the stock so it doesn't overlap with her image, especially the larger one in the back. If you remove the sandpaper-ish map, then that would probably do the trick since it is the most pixelated and a rather rough texture compare to her smoother complexion. Same with the text, if it does not overlap over one another, then it would also possibly look better. Now, I understand this is out of boredom and probably experimentation, but if you put words on a graphic, it means you want people to read them and this by far, is unreadable since the word 'sea' covers the majority of the word behind it, which is also cursive. You may want to consider choosing another typeface. 


MOOD AND THEMES
 
It's a bit difficult to tell, but I'm going guess it is on the fantasy side because of the wings behind the main image's back. Also with the flowers over her head and the butterflies, it sort of looks similar to those spring fairies or whatnot. The light sort of has that shining effect as well, but with the large texture of rough paper, it's very hard to see the entire picture, but otherwise, it's very random. There isn't a precise theme and I'm assuming it's just focusing on the girl alone. I believe I had recommended to chose a certain concept to work with because this is quite vague and hard to determine the theme of this graphic. The words do not help either since I can't read them. 

  
COLOR HARMONY
 
I think out of everything, this is the best area you've considered. It's mostly cool colors and a very limited color palette, which is good. It gives off that fantasy feeling really well (if that's what you intend for it to be) and does not have a color standing out so strongly enough to delude the focus elsewhere. The only thing that bothers me a little is how the larger picture in the back, her skin tone is dark and her hair color is lighter. I'm guessing it's a different photo from the other two photos, which looks like their from the same photoshoot. It's not really a big of a deal, but maybe if you can even out the color on her so she is similar in tone as the other two, I think that would be great. 


STOCK USES

To be blunt, it looks really cluttered. There's a lot of stock and I can understand some are to bring the other images out, but it really is a lot. I've suggested to remove the rough texture underneath the main image because it seem to blur out and cover up most of the images you've carefully laid out on the graphic. However, if you insist on keeping it, I'd recommend you remove it from some areas, such as the large picture in the background specifically because it covers her face and with the color scheme being almost the same, it looks like it's part of her face. Quite disturbing. And because it covers so much of the images, it very difficult for me to tell what other texture and stock images you have underneath it. It's probably just her image with some butterfly textures, which are the only things I can make out from the mess. The title as covers whatever textures you probably have laid over as well. The other texture I see are the multiple web-like lines, and those cover almost every edge of the photos. I'd suggest removing that one as well. It doesn't seem to connect to anything and if you believe it's to hold all the images together, it's not really. Now I can understand if you think it's too plain, but I think you should use lesser and smoother textures, like perhaps glitter or smoke? The roughness of the paper texture makes it the most cluttered and is also very obvious to those looking at the graphic. 

The larger picture in the background looks too close to the middle image. If you can move it more to the left, I think it would be more appropriate and give the image some space. The middle image is the least noticeable, though, I find that quite alright because the other two images are already asking for so much attention. But like I said, if you can move the larger image a bit more, it will give the photo a bit more breathing space because it looks cluttered. Also, if I hadn't made it clear, remove the rough texture on the larger picture's face. You can move the texture if you like, but definitely don't have it overlapping over her face. 

  
TYPOGRAPHY

I've touched a little upon this, but honestly, I can only make out one word of the title and very few for the quote. I can agree if you choose to integrate the words into the images rather than have them stand alone as words because what would be the point of using type if you can't read them? I mean, you have the credits clearly on the graphic, yet not the title or the quote? If they really have the least amount of significance on the graphic, then by all means, do not add them. I do not say this to sound rude, but people add text for a purpose, a message to be read by an audience. If it cannot be read, then it has absolutely no purpose in the graphic. 

After stating that, the title is unreadable(I hope I got that point across), but still legible. However, that is very borderline since you have the words overlapping one another. I don't know if that has any relevant impact on the graphic, but I'm going to guess it does not. The fact that you chose cursive and warped it a bit, impacts the readability and I highly suggest you try to not use cursive when morphing text. It actually makes it even more unreadable than it already is. 

Now the quote, I can only read the words that are over a dark surface and this should already tell you something. You choose to have them as purely white and with a white texture underneath the words. It's legible, yes, but the words are clearly vanishing from sight and again, I'm not sure if this is your intention or if this is relevant to the structure of the graphic. But if you can, why not add a shadow underneath the type or maybe change the color? That way the words would be able to pop out. There is no need to put white on white when it's already hard for anyone to read the quote. 
  

SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES
 
I don't see much of an issue in this area and you seem you have a good understanding of blending. Only the overlapping of the stock photos, as I had mentioned earlier, seem to affect how you should edit them. 
 
OVERALL 

It would definitely make a nice wallpaper, but not for a poster. I don't think you intend for it to be one either, but I can agree and there are too many things added into this picture. I think your boredom have escalated to the point that you don't think it's enough and a good way to stop that is to do something else. Give yourself an hour or two of a breather and come back to it afterwards. It usually helps you see what you were trying to do. Also, maybe think of the message you're portraying as well. Do you want people to understand what you're doing or not? Is the photo even related to what you want to do? Things like those help, but since this is made out of boredom, those things probably didn't cross your mind as they normally would.
 
Anyway, I hope this review was helpful. :)