Lunch?

Better Than Revenge [HIATUS]

“Good morning!” Kevin greeted. Kimi looked around.

“Good morning me?” She asked. He chuckled.

“No duh, silly. Who else would I be greeting?”

She smiled and looked at her feet. “Ah well, I don’t want to get embarrassed.”

“Same old, same old.”

“R-really??”

Kevin nodded. *No, not really. You changed a lot.*

 

A moment of silence hit the two. Both refused to make any eye contact and say what’s on their mind first.

 

“Hey I was-” The both said at the same time.

Kevin chuckled. “Alright, you go first.”

“I uhh… I think I should go to class.”

“Are you free later during lunch?”

Kimi’s heart jumped. “S-sure…”

“Awesome! I’ll text you. Can I have your number?”

“Oh sure. Hang on.”

 

They took out their phones from their pockets and opened the phone app. They exchanged phones, dialed their numbers on the keypad, and returned it to the owner. The morning chime rang, signaling the students that it was already time for first period.

 

“See you at lunch?”

“Yep.”

“Alright then. See you later Kimi!”

Kevin shoved both his hands in his pocket then walked off.  Kimi went the other way. They may have blank expressions on their faces, but deep inside they’re both thinking about something.

 

*Miho, tell me what happened to you. Ever since that day, you disappeared off the face of the earth and I never saw you again*

 

[Flashback]

“Uncle please save her!” Kevin begged. The elderly man in the white coat let out a heavy sigh. He placed an assuring hand on his nephew’s shoulder and lightly shook him.

“We’ll do whatever we can, Kevin.” He replied.

He walked out of the room, leaving Kevin and a few nurses behind. He bit his lower lip and painfully stared at the figure on the bed. His eyes began to water. When the nurses left, he walked over to the bed and examined the bandaged person. He collapsed on the floor.

Kevin cried his heart out. “Why!!”

 

Kevin snapped out of his flashback when someone began shaking him. He shook his head and saw AJ standing in front of him. The rest of his friends were looking at him with a worried expression.

“Having those thoughts again?” Kiseop asked. Kevin nodded and wiped his tears with his sleeve.

“I thought you forgot all about Miho.” Soohyun said. Kevin sighed and looked down.

“I didn’t. But hyung, how come I have this feeling that… just maybe…” Kevin took a deep breath in. “Miho is actually Kimi.”

 

They all looked at him weirdly. Hoon placed his hand on Kevin’s forehead to check for any temperature difference. Kevin moved away from Hoon to assure them that he’s fine.

“No fever. You’re talking crazy, Kevin.” Hoon said.

“Let’s just go to class.”

 

Kevin bit his lower lip. He really thinks that Kimi was the same person he saw on the hospital bed a year ago. He just needed enough proof.

 

Later that day, Kevin was walking along the corridor by himself. He was heading to his next class, which is his last class before lunch break. AJ, who was reading a book on one of the park benches, saw him and quickly got up. He caught up to Kevin. He cupped his hand over his ear and said, “I believe you.”

Kevin stopped. He pulled himself away from AJ. “What made you say that?”

 

He nodded. “Here’s why.”

 

[Earlier today]

AJ sat on his seat, which was beside Kimi and near Henry’s. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were behind them. They began with their usual chatter about the annoying chewing gum girl in their class. Henry didn’t participate because he was busy explaining something to Sehun.

 

“I can’t understand your handwriting!” Henry exclaimed.

Sehun stuck his tongue out.

 

Kimi leaned over and saw what they were arguing over. “Oh, conic sections. I hated that Year 10 lesson.”

AJ raised one brow. “Year 8, stupid.”

“Oh really? Can’t remember.”

“What??” AJ said in surprise. “How can you forget Year 8? That was the year you asked me to the Formal.”

“I did? Haha, guess my memory is short.”

 

Everyone knew that Year 8 lessons were mainly focused on that particular lesson. AJ shook his head and went back to reading his book. Kimi kept chatting with Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

 

“It’s weird how she doesn’t remember something so simple. I’m starting to get suspicious about her.”

Kevin kept silent.

“Hyung, maybe she was just forgetting things.”

“Maybe. But I don’t get it. I have this feeling that accident did more than just screw up her face.”