Moving Out

Better Than Revenge [HIATUS]

I was seated at the middle-front row of a theater house. Everyone around me was wearing formal attires and acted like mature adults. The stage was decorated with gold and silver. The LED screen in front flashed “145th Awarding Ceremony”.

“And this year’s Most Outstanding Student goes to-”

 

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONKKKK!!!

 

I shot up screaming at the sound of a blow horn. After emptying my lungs, I gasped for air and angrily looked at the two boys in front of me. They were snickering. It wasn’t long until one of them burst into laughter and left the room.

“Clark! Ugh, what do you guys want this time?” I asked.

“Mom told us to wake you up. Dad said to use this.” Ethan said. I heard my parents laughing outside.

I rolled my eyes and covered myself in my sheets. I placed two pillows on my head to block out any noise the two idiots might make.

 

If you were wondering, those were my older step-brothers, the identical twins Seung Wook and Seung Jook. They’re better known as Ethan and Clark, respectively. Their dad married my mom four years ago. We didn’t get along at first since they were still attached to their biological mom. Our relationship took time to develop but it’s all good now.

 

“ATOINETTE YANG-WOO!! Hurry up or else we’ll be caught in traffic.”

Oh, that’s my older twin sister Tory. Like the rest of my family, she uses her English name since she dislikes her Korean name. I couldn’t blame her though. She was named after kimchi.

 

I groaned, slowly rolled out of bed, and dragged myself to the bathroom. Today was the day of my move to the Rosewood Heights. My dad convinced my mom to let me stay in a condominium near my university. Her only condition was that I have to visit our home at least twice a month. My brothers’ universities were closer to our house so they stayed behind. Tory has her own car and driver so she has no problem with getting to her university.

 

After breakfast, I hugged my parents and said goodbye to them.

“Here’s the key to your condo. I trust you, Miss Antoinette Yang-Woo.” My mom said and lightly slapped my arm.

“Don’t call me that…” I groaned. My mom laughed. She knows I hate my English name so I use my Korean name instead.

My dad handed me a white envelope and smiled. I knew what was inside. He ruffled my hair and kissed my forehead.

“Our youngest is all grown up!” He said and jokingly cried.

“Dad, I’m only 5 minutes younger from Tory.” I said.

“Yeah but Tory is one academic year higher than you so you’re still considered the youngest.” Dad said.

 

After a few more hugs, I went to our driveway and hopped in Clark-oppa’s car. I sat at the back with Ethan. Tory was in the front seat with Clark. It’s unfair how the eldest always gets to sit in front.

“Mom and dad won’t come with us?” I asked.

“Nah. Mom has to finish a proposal and dad was asked to attend a seminar.” Ethan answered without looking up from his phone.

“I see…”

 

It took about an hour to get to the condominium. Oh wow, my school is that far. I used to live 5 minutes away from my high school and I was always late. I guess that’s why dad convinced mom to let me live near my university. Either that or he doesn’t trust me with a car.

Clark stopped the car in front of a sign which said “Rosewood Heights”. He and Tory unbuckled their seatbelts and opened the car door at the same time. I sighed and let Ethan go out first, since my side of the car was in the dangerous side of the road. Ethan went inside the building with Tory.

 

I shyly waddled towards Clark. He opened the trunk then leaned against the boxes. He looked at me and chuckled.

“Scared that your big strong oppa won’t be around?” He asked.

“What the! No!!”

“Liar.”

“Am not!”

He ruffled my hair. “Aigoo, you’re still a little kid to me.”

“Hey!” I said when I moved my head away from his hand. Gosh! Okay, I’m a lot younger than people in college (two years to be exact) but whatever.

“I’m in college now…”

“Must be hard for you… being the hoobae to everyone in your year.”

“Yah. You and Tory are two years junior to everyone so shut up.”

 

Clark didn’t answer.

 

“Does it remind you?”

“Of?”

Clark looked at me briefly, then looked back up at the skies. Mr. Sun was smiling sweetly at everyone today. The sky was bright blue and the clouds were fluffy. It was a gorgeous day to be outside.

“Kevin?”

“H-huh? How is it-”

“Didn’t you meet him after moving too?”

I groaned. He knows that I hate being reminded of that idiot. It already that I now have the same surname as he. When I changed my surname four years ago and met – uhh – he-whose-name-must-not-be-mentioned (what a mouthful), I thought we were related. Turns out it was just purely coincidental.

“Don’t think about him, okay?”

“I don’t plan to.”

“Good.”

 

Ethan and Tory finally came back with the cart for my things. Clark carefully unloaded my boxes, making sure the ones marked with “Fragile” were on top.

Boy, living on my own will be tough but I can manage. I’ll be sure to do my best while in this university!

 

[Meanwhile]

A blonde Asian wearing sunglasses and a cool summer button down shirt crossed the road and walked towards the condominium. He looked like he was in a hurry with his long and brisk strides. With one hand, he held his phone to his left ear and talked to the person across the line while walking.

“Hyung, I’m already here in Rosewood. What floor were you guys again?”

“Thirty fifth. Just tell the guard your name and he’ll let you in.” A deep voice across the line answered.

“Okay, thanks.”

He pulled his phone away, ended the call, then placed his phone back in his pocket. He quickly glimpsed at the group of teenagers unloading boxes from the trunk of a black car. He ignored it and kept walking towards the entrance of the building.