Chp 1

Forbidden

I sat by the window, watching the cars pass by – it was raining heavily and the traffic was congested. You would think people would just stay home; it was sweater weather anyway. I contemplated on ringing up my students saying class was cancelled but that wouldn’t look so good for me. I told myself if within 20 minutes nobody showed up, I was heading home. Or maybe stay in the studio till the rain subsided a little.

“Mama?” A little girl’s voice called out to me and I turned, my 2 year old daughter was showing her masterpiece of god knows what with her playdoh.

“Nice one baby… Make sure not to put it in your mouth!” I said a little more firmly than I wanted to.

So I was a single mom, what’s the big deal right. Of course it was a big deal; baby daddy was long gone ever since I broke the news about my pregnancy. I was grateful my parents didn’t kick me out of the house but they made sure I could stand back on my own two feet. That’s why having this job at the dance school was the next best thing that ever happened to me. The first was having Lee Hana.

The dance school I was working at belonged to mom’s friend, it was one of the most sought after – hey I’ve trained the famous Jackson Wang before. Which was kind of awkward since we were the same age? I was born on 1994, do your math.

I’m not proud of my past – my life revolved around baby daddy but times have changed and so have I. Mom and dad still lets me enjoy my teenage years even after Hana was born but I restrained myself. I used to hit the clubs every weekend but now I’d only do it once a month, which by the way is a huge deal for me.

“Yobseyo?” I answered my phone, snapping me out of my own thoughts.

“Hyemi I think you can get your back home, roads are quite flooded, none of your students can come by” It was my good friend Lyra, who by the way was mending the reception area. Why couldn’t she just walk in and tell me?

“And you had to call? You can’t come in?”

“Yah gizibe, you seriously need a man to calm your anger. Oppa is picking me up in a bit, want to hop in?”

“I so do not need a man. And okay, I’ll clean Hana up. Be out in 5” I replied quickly and hung up. “Lee Hana, let’s clean you up…” I removed the nasty play doh from her hands with wet tissue and hair, and wiped the floor clean.

“Th… Thankk Mama…” Hana tried to string her words. I smiled and pecked her cheek.

For a two year old I think Hana understood me well. Whenever I was upset or started crying out of nowhere, she would place herself in my arms and attempt to hug me. What would I do without her? I mostly worried about how people would treat her when she starts attending school; she grew up with only a mother. I worried when she was old enough she would start asking where her father was. I worried she would want a father as well at one point of time in her life.

“Hyemi, oppa suggested having dinner first somewhere in Apgujeong. You okay with that?” Lyra asked once she saw me walking towards her.

“Samgyupsal?”

“Yah gizib – “

“Language Lyra” I glared at her while pointing to Hana.

“Oopsie. Heh. How do you manage to eat all that meat and maintain your figure?!” Lyra exclaimed dramatically.

“Because I dance, duh. Sheesh. Now where is your beloved oppa?”

This was one of Lyra’s longest relationships she’s been in for as long as I’ve known her. We’re childhood friends. She keeps saying he’s the one (she’s been saying this for every relationship) and I couldn’t be bothered to try and correct her. Lyra was with me through thick and thin, I owed it to her.

Once her driver (I mean oppa) came, Hana fell asleep quickly in my arms and I stared at the outside world, tuning out the lovebirds. So maybe I did feel a little jealous, but I can’t complain. I had Hana with me, I’d probably have to find some old dude with his own kids or probably it will just be Hana and me till she finds her own man. She’s already two years old and I’m wishing time wouldn’t pass by so fast.

“We’re here” Oppa (okay his name is Joon, sorry) said as he parked his car.

“Yah, this is so near SM Entertainment. Do you think we can bump into anyone?” Lyra turned and asked me as I struggled between carrying my bag and Hana.

“Dream on. Could you help me…? With my bag?” I asked and handed the diaper bag carefully to her.

“Oppa, go get the umbrella for Hyemi. Don’t want Hana to fall sick!” Lyra said urgently.

This is why we’re friends. No matter how much we annoy each other, we still look out for each other. Even if she keeps having oppas, I’m still her best man. Or girl.

There weren’t much people in the streets and the rain had subsided a little. Joon picked a well hidden restaurant somewhere in the alley, saying it was the cheapest and had the tastiest samgyupsal. I just followed suit, already hearing my stomach growling. And it woke Hana up, great. She hasn’t taken her afternoon nap fully – I could foresee another sleepless night later.

We took our seats and I let Hana roam around the shop since they weren’t much people around. My eyes became more alert ever since I became a mom, so I wasn’t that worried. I looked through the menu and gave up - letting the lovebirds decide instead. I told Lyra to keep an eye on Hana while I headed to the counter and ask the ahjumma for some hot water for Hana’s milk.

“Awww… What a cute baby…”

“Yah maknae stop making those faces she’d cry!”

“Hi baby… Where’s your parents?”

“Mama…” Hyemi heard her daughter’s voice and turned her jaw almost dropping. She could sense Lyra’s jaw was already on the floor. That was freaking EXO in a flesh – talking to Hana!

All 12 pairs of eyes got slightly bigger when they saw who Hana was pointing to and bowed a little before taking their seats. I could only smile a little before walking to Hana and picked her up, placing her on the baby seat. What a way to meet EXO huh, not that I was that interested in them but they are one of the biggest boy groups at this moment.

“OH MY GOSH HYEMI” Lyra squaled as Joon looked at her in annoyance.

“Calm down woman, they’re humans too” I was lying - I peeked a little to my side and saw how gorgeous all 12 of them looked, even without their makeup. Their maknaes were as tall as their hyungs!

“Hyung I want beef!” Tao whined to Kris.

“No let’s get pork!” Chanyeol’s voice boomed.

“I just want chicken!” Kai said while fiddling with his phone.

“I’m on a diet guys!” Xiumin complained to no one in particular.

“Stop yawning Baek!” Chen said.

“No fair Kai’s yawning too!” Baekhyun countered back.

“We were practicing till late night okay” Sehun defended his friend.

“I’m sleepy….” Lay said in a monotone.

“Yixing ah!” Kris shook the sleepy boy.

“Ahjumma we’re ready to order!” D.O suddenly piped up.

“YAH KYUNGSOO!”

I bit back a laugh hearing how childish they were and seeing how their leaders handled them, it was such a funny sight. Who knew these boys were such gods on stage but pabos off stage? No wonder people loved them so much.

Lyra was busy sneaking glances – I knew Chanyeol was her bias and Joon knew it too. She couldn’t contain herself and kept staring – not minding I was eating up most of the meat already. After finishing her milk, Hana was getting fidgety again, she whined a little wanting to get out of the seat and I sighed but gave in anyway. There was only us and EXO.

I panicked a little when she started standing around their table, looking at Kai’s phone. Kai didn’t panic at all, he showed her what he was watching and she laughed along. Sehun then came and shook her fingers and she touched his cheek in return. Hana hasn’t been around this much guys before. Was this her way of saying she wanted a dad?

“Hana….” I called out, my voice sounding a little stern hoping she wouldn’t disturb the boys.

“It’s okay Miss...” Kai said and looked at me directly, smiling warmly. I literally had to stop myself from melting and kicked Lyra under the table. She was not happy about it but held in her anger.

“How old is she?” Sehun asked. By then Hana was already on Kai’s lap – still fixated on his phone.

“Sh.. She just turned two in January…” I replied weakly.

“Jinjja?! Omo… What date?” Chen joined in our conversation.

“14th…”

“Omo! That’s the same as Kai! No wonder they click!” Baekhyun said in between mouthfuls. Kai looked surprised and pleased at the same time.

Throughout their dinner Hana stayed with them – she didn’t even bother about me, how mean. The boys took turn in carrying and playing with her. They should be in Hello Baby or something I swear. It was already 10.30pm when the boys started to clean up and Suho settled the bill. Lucky boys I thought. I stood up as well, when I saw Hana was already fast asleep in Kai’s arms. Seriously my daughter!

“Mianhe if she disturbed you guys…” I said when Kai handed Hana over gently.

“It’s okay, she’s a sweetheart” He replied, his eyes twinkling.

“Do you stay around here?” Tao asked, his arm slung over Sehun’s shoulders.

“No… Not really…”

“Aww man, thought we could play with your daughter again” Luhan said – he really was pretty I suddenly felt conscious of my presence.

“She’s really beautiful…” Suho said as he looked at Hana.

“Th… Thank you…” I replied, feeling very shy all of a sudden.

“Well, we have to go now. Hope to see you around… Miss…?” D.O raised his eyebrows, oh my gosh he was asking for my name?

“Hyemi… Lee Hyemi”

“See you around Hyemi sshi…” Lay bowed a little and the boys walked out still noisy as when they came in.

“You big flirt!” Lyra said when I took my seat, careful not to wake Hana.

“What? What did I do?”

“You could’ve introduced me or something!” She whined and I glared at her, pointing to Joon who seemed annoyed.

“Let’s go, it’s getting late” I said and gestured to Lyra to take out my wallet.