It's Me (Pick Me)

Something Went Right

“You can put your stuff down right here.” Jinki smiled, gesturing to the area next to the front door.

 

“Ah, okay,” the younger boy shyly mumbled.

 

He looks a little bit out of his element and Jinki can completely relate because the memory of Jonghyun kissing his cheek at the end of his last visit keeps resurfacing in his mind. Though, he does feel a bit ridiculous because Jonghyun and him are friends by now and he knows they will have fun regardless of what happens. Still, Jinki’s stomach twists into knots of anticipation with thoughts of what might happen.

 

“Oh, I just realized I’ve never given you a tour of my house before! Want to take a look around?” Jinki asks.

 

He thought Jonghyun would blast through the roof at how excited the younger boy looked.

 

“Sure! Can I see your room?” As soon as the words escaped his mouth a red blush rushed from his neck to his hairline.

 

Jinki laughed out right at the sight. He really couldn’t help it, an embarrassed Jonghyun was just too funny. When he first saw the boy he never thought he’d be the type who got embarrassed easily. Jinki just continued to chuckle and grabbed the younger boy’s wrist and led him to his room.

 

Jinki’s room was full of bright and relaxing colors. In the center was a large bed with a nightstand and small shelf of what looked to be movies and music. On the opposite was a small desk with books and school supplies neatly arranged on the surface. Jonghyun could easily imagine a sleepy Jinki in sweats studying late at night for an upcoming test.

 

At the foot of the bed was a small entertainment center with a moderately sized TV atop it. Scattered along the walls were anime posters, some Jonghyun recognized, others he did not. For all these things to be in Jinki’s room and not feel cramped was telling of how spacious Jinki’s room was.

 

Jinki leaned against his doorframe and chuckled at Jonghyun’s wide eyes and open mouth. The younger boy had been standing in the doorway of his room without even taking one step inside. It wasn’t until Jinki released Jonghyun’s wrist to make a “you first” gesture towards his room that the younger boy even realised Jinki had been holding his wrist.

 

“You can go in if you want, or we can wait out here.” Jinki smirked.

 

Jonghyun playfully smacked the older boy’s arm before plopping right on his bed.

 

“So what do you wanna do?” he asked bouncing on the bed, his hair flopping cutely with each bounce.

 

Jinki let out a dark chuckle before smirking devilishly, slowly sauntering over to where the other boy sat. He stood right in front of the younger boy before slowly leaning down and putting one knee beside him. Jonghyun put his arms behind him to brace himself as Jinki steadily invaded his personal space.

 

Jinki put his other arm on the bed and came even closer. The younger boy’s cheeks were tinted a cute shade of pink as his fingers clenched the sheets and his eyelids began to flutter closed. Jinki took one second to grin at the sight before reaching behind Jonghyun to yank the movie he wanted off the shelf.

 

Jinki lightly tapped Jonghyun’s forehead with the movie and chuckled at the boy’s shocked expression. He swiftly kissed the spot where he hit and returned to a standing position. Jonghyun looked completely shell shocked.

 

“Do you like horror films?” the older boy asked innocently.

 

The younger boy’s face melted into an expression that instantly made butterflies erupt in the pit of Jinki’s stomach.

 

“You are such a ing tease.” Jonghyun growled.

 

An arm reached out and fisted into Jinki’s shirt, yanking him down to Jonghyun’s level. The sudden move caused Jinki to lose his balance, falling on top of the younger boy as their lips crashed together. Both boys immediately began kissing each other fiercely, all too willing to explore the other.

 

Jinki had each leg on either side of Jonghyun while laying on top of him. His hands were roaming Jonghyun’s sides as hummed into the kiss, already beginning to feel a stiffness in his pants. The younger boy was arching his back off of the bed into the kiss, eager to taste as much of the older as possible. Jonghyun’s hands were plunged in Jinki’s hair turning his hair into a complete disarray.

 

Jinki slightly parted from the younger so his hands could travel up Jonghyun’s sides and softly envelop them around the younger’s neck. Jonghyun let out a lewd moan at the action, his hands releasing Jinki’s hair to grab his and grind into his crotch. Jinki could feel exactly how much Jonghyun liked having his hands around his neck.

 

At that moment the doorbell rang. Once, a pause, then began ringing insistently like a madman was trying to get in. Both boys froze in their current position. Jinki completely deflated on top of Jonghyun with a groan.

 

“Just go get the door. I’ll be down in a second.” the smaller boy said with an eye crinkling smile.

 

Jonghyun gave him a sweet peck before patting his . Jinki let out a cute whine, wiggling off the bed to go answer the door. He purposely didn’t invite any of his friends over because he already had plans with Jonghyun, so he had no clue who it could be. Irritated that someone had interrupted the best moment of his life, he flung the door open with an exasperated sigh that immediately got caught in his throat at the sight of the person who stood at the door.

 

“G-Gwiboon? What’re you doing here?” a bewildered Jinki sputtered. He hadn’t heard from his best friend all day and here she was right in front of his house at the worst time possible.

 

“Hello to you too, Jinx. What’s up?” she said breezily, sweeping past him to plop on the couch, “I got bored, so I thought I’d come over and hang out with a certain loser for a bit.” she laughed, turning on the tv.

 

Perhaps it was because of the loud sound of the tv, but Jinki did not see Jonghyun enter the living room.

 

“Jinx, what’re you looking at?” Gwiboon questioned before turning to see Jonghyun not ten feet away from her.

 

Gwiboon nearly jumped out of her skin at the sight. Jinki could feel beads of sweat forming on his philtrum.

 

“Uh, Gwiboon this is Jonghyun. Now that I think about it, you guys have never formally met before.” he laughed nervously while scratching the back of his head.

 

It was then that he realized that his hair was still a complete mess and swiftly tried to smooth it down with blazing cheeks. Jonghyun let out a snort that he tried to pass off as a cough.

 

“Hi Gwiboon, you’re Jinki’s best friend, right? It’s so nice to meet one of Jinki’s friends. I’m Jonghyun,” he greeted brightly.

 

“I know who you are. Jinki could I talk to you for a second?” Gwiboon sprang from the couch and stalked past Jinki, grabbing his arm on the way out the door.

 

Gwiboon slammed the door and whirled around to face her best friend.

 

“What is he doing here?” Gwiboon spat.

 

“Listen, I know you don’t like him, but that was really rude of you and you need to go back in there and apologize right now.” Jinki said.

 

“It’s not about me not liking him, it’s you that’s the problem.” she said.

 

“What- How?” Jinki said, his face scrunched in confusion.

 

“You like him.” Gwiboon said, as if she was spelling it out for him.

 

“Your point?” Jinki said, still perplexed as to where Gwiboon was headed with her argument.

 

“Why do you even like him? How do you like him? We’ve been friends for years and you never caught on to the fact that I’m in love with you?” Gwiboon hadn’t meant to confess this way, but it had already slipped out and there was no turning back now.

 

“Jinki. . . I love you. I don’t want to share you with anyone else. I want you all for myself,” she confessed, tears streaming down her flushed cheeks, “I’ve loved you for such a long time and seeing you prioritize someone you barely know over me hurts.” she sobbed.

 

Jinki was rooted to his spot. He hated seeing his best friend cry like this, but he didn’t want to embrace her now and give her the wrong impression.

 

“. . .I never knew . . .” Jinki said helplessly.

 

“I know!” Gwiboon exploded, “You’re such a. . .ing. . airhead. . .” she sobbed, staggering towards Jinki and wrapping her arms around him.

 

Jinki’s hands dangled at his sides.

 

“Gwiboonie. . . I- I don’t know what to tell you. . . I like Jonghyun now. I’m so sorry. I don’t want to hurt you. I love you too, you know that.”

 

Gwiboon took two staggering steps away from him.

 

“I can’t ing believe this. I can’t ing believe you. Are you really going to choose some guy with a bad dye job over me?” she shrieked incredulously.

 

“It’s not like that! You’ve been my best friend damn near since birth! How could I love you in that way? You’re family.” Jinki pleaded with tears in his eyes, trying to get Gwiboon to see where he was coming from. Jinki took a deep, shuddering breath before saying the words that could possibly ruin his most important friendship.

 

“Gwiboon. . . I like him. I don’t know him that well yet, but I really like him a lot. I want to know everything about him. I don’t want to have to choose. I don’t even want there to have to be a choice. I just started getting close to Jonghyun. I don’t want to give that up. I won’t. I’m sorry.”  he said.

 

Jinki looked at Gwiboon with clear eyes. He understood Gwiboon’s feelings, but he also knew that giving him an ultimatum was unfair. He was allowed to have his own happiness, just like he had allowed Gwiboon to have hers in the past. He didn’t want to break up, but this was about more than just Jonghyun.

 

This was about Gwiboon’s possessiveness, irrationality, and unfairness. Jinki thought back to his conversation with Gwiboon the other day. “How would I know if you don’t tell me?”  How would he ever suspect Gwiboon was in love with him if she had never given any signs or told him? Once again, Gwiboon had asked the impossible of him and he was tired of it.

 

The tears had stopped momentarily as Gwiboon’s eyes searched Jinki’s face.  

 

“I see you’ve already made your decision. There’s no use of me begging for a chance.” Gwiboon whispered.

 

Her posture was absolutely casual. Only Jinki was able to tell exactly how desperately she was trying to keep her composure. Over time Jinki had learned to identify the cracks in Gwiboon’s otherwise flawless composure: the slightly trembling corners of , tiny flared nostrils, a small crease between her wide, steely eyes.

 

“Gwiboon I-”

 

“I hope it was worth it.” she said before stalking off of the porch and out of sight.

 

Jinki felt completely at a loss. He stood there wordlessly looking in the direction where Gwiboon had walked off. Tears began to well in his eyes. How did it turn out like this?

 

Jinki hastily wiped his tears and gripped the doorknob on the front door. Jonghyun was probably wondering what was going on at this point. He opened the door to see Jonghyun standing a few feet away. The younger boy looked as if he had cried himself.

 

“Would you like me to leave?” Jonghyun croaked.

 

The older boy wordlessly enveloped the small boy in a warm embrace. The muscular arms that embraced him back held him together as he cried over the biggest heart break he had ever experienced: the loss of a best friend. 

 


A/N: it's 2 am. . . I spent all day writing this. Why is it that it seems to short on here but so long on google docs? *sigh. I pretty much listened to sechskies all while writing so sorry for the angst lol. don't worry things will get better~ hope you guys liked it!!!! pls comment! ^^