Dream Boy

Something Went Right

The sky had already turned a deep lavender by the time Jinki got out of school. The late evening air was cool and refreshing as it blowed through strands of his hair and hit his damp skin. He gladly welcomed the breeze as he happily walked along the sidewalk towards the bus stop.

 

Jinki was in choir and also tutored Algebra 2 for 3rd years, as he had aced that class when he took it. This caused for him to stay after school until nearly 7:00 pm most days. Tutoring happened during first session and advanced choir members stayed for second and third sessions which let out at 6:45 pm.

 

Jinki was glad to be out of school and the bus stop was an island of freedom in the middle of an ocean of boredom. Tightening his bag, he quickened his pace eager to get home and although the breeze was nice, he didn't want to miss his bus and be stuck outside for another hour.

 

With a great sigh, Jinki sat down on the bus stop bench, slouched until his head rested against the back of the bench, and stretched out his tired legs. 

 

"Rough day, huh Hyung?" a voice suddenly stated. 

 

Shocked, Jinki immediately straightened up. He had only heard it once, but Jinki would recognize that voice anywhere. Turning to the sound of the voice a huge smile formed on Jinki's face as he chuckled.

 

"Just the same old day, I'm used to it." he beamed (even wider if that's possible) "How about you Jonghyun-ssi? What's got you out so late?"

 

Jinki noticed that Jonghyun was wearing a black t-shirt and basketball shorts and his messenger bag was carelessly hanging off one shoulder. To say Kim Jonghyun was handsome was an understatement, he was absolutely the most beautiful person in Jinki's world. The smile etched onto Jinki's face had not faltered in the slightest as he waited for Jonghyun's reply. 

 

Jonghyun snorted lightly as he plopped down next to Jinki. " "Jonghyun-ssi?" So formal." he chuckled again as a hand went up to rub the back of his neck.

 

Then suddenly he let out a short, self deprecating laugh. "Actually, I tried out for the basketball team. Try-outs took forever though. And at the end of it all the coach comes to me and says," Jonghyun cleared his throat, preparing himself to imitate the old coach's gravely voice. "Son you're so little I only now just noticed you were on the court. You've got heart, but all that heart ain't gonna sky rocket you to that there hoop. Sorry son, you're not what we're looking for." Jonghyun scoffed.

 

For a moment, Jinki had no idea how to react. Should he comfort him? Should he laugh at the joke?. . . . And then their eyes met and suddenly it was the funniest thing all day.

 

They laughed and Jonghyun clutched his t-shirt as his stomach convulsed from the peals of laughter and Jinki laughed so hard that he started doing the embarrassing thing where he slapped his knee or clapped like a seal loudly. Their laughter eventually died down with synchoronized sighs of satisfaction and a few left over giggles.

 

The following silence was a comfortable one, neither one of them particularly felt the need to talk just to fill it. Jinki snuck a glance at Jonghyun. He could tell he was trying to make a joke out of the whole thing, but really, this was not the reality Jonghyun wanted. He knew the younger was probably trying hard not to let on how dissappointed he actually was.

 

Jonghyun looked up with a start as Jinki placed a soft hand on his shoulder. "It'll be okay Jonghyun-ssi." he grinned warmly at him. 

 

Jonghyun's face melted into a cheesy grin. "Ah, what are we gonna do with this Hyung? Ah, really. . ." he chuckled lowly while playfully punching Jinki's shoulder.  Then, slowly, his hand cupped Jinki's bicep and he looked at him with wide, sincere eyes. "Thank you, I needed that." 

 

Jinki was glad to break eye contact when the bus noisily interrupted the moment they shared. He had no idea how to react to Jonghyun. The look in his eyes had butterflies erupting in his stomach and a drought starting in his throat.

 

It was strange because he normally wasn't like this. Jinki could be quiet at times, but normally he wasn't nervous. Not like this. It was strange because he knew absolutely nothing about Jonghyun, but yet he felt so incredibly attracted to him.

 

He had only known him for a day, but the impulse to lean in and give the younger a comforting kiss was nearly overwhelming. This is so stupid. Jinki-yah get a hold of yourself! Here I am thinking about kissing him when he's obviously upset. Seriously, what am I gonna do with myself? he thought despairingly as he hopped on the bus and sat in his usual seat. 

 

Jinki had thought the conversation was over and that Jonghyun would just go to the back of the bus or something. To his surprise Jonghyun sat down next to him and easily continued chatting with him. At times one of them would crack a joke and they would laugh as their eyes met.

 

Jinki thought Jonghyun was hilarious and apparently Jonghyun thought the same about him. Jinki was elated because most people either gave him a pity laugh or just shook their heads when he made one of his "play on words" or punny jokes.

 

Jonghyun didn't make these jokes as often as Jinki did, but every time one of them cracked one their laughs were heard over the general buzz of conversation on the bus. A few times time Jinki caught himself playfully slapping Jonghyun's shoulder.

 

Every time Jonghyun would just whine, "Hyung~~ It hurts~" while pouting up at him. In retaliation, Jonghyun would poke Jinki's side which he discovered to be quite tickleish. Jinki had never been on a bus ride so fun in his life and too soon it had come to an end. 

 

Both boys stood awkwardly on the sidewalk. Neither wanted the conversation to end, but they both knew that they would probably have to walk in opposite directions. Jinki opened his mouth to speak when Jonghyun quickly whipped his phone out of his pocket. 

 

"Um, c-can I Kik you?" 

 

Jinki was confused. "Er, what?" 

 

Jonghyun barked out a nervous laugh. "What I mean is, do you have Kik? Or Kakao Talk. . .or Line? It doesn't matter." another out of character nervous chuckle, "I'm trying to ask for your number, Hyung."  

 

Jinki watched him unconciously twist his phone in his hands. He was stunned. No one this fine had ever asked him for his number before. Normally, some underclassmen girl(s) would giggle and shyly ask for his number. Never in his life had his crush or a guy asked him for his number. . . and in such a cute way. . . 

 

Jonghyun took his silence as a form of rejection and made a move to put his phone back in his pocket. He looked really uncomfortable now and slightly hurt. Jinki caught his hand and snatched his phone from him faster than he knew he could move and, with blazing cheeks, quickly found the Kakao Talk app on his phone and added himself to Jonghyun's friends.

 

He nodded at the selca of Jonghyun with his dog on his page as he handed him back his phone. "Cute." he smirked.

 

Jonghyun squinted, a devilish glint in his eyes. "Me or my dog?" he grinned crookedly. 

 

Jinki took the phone back and held it closely to his face.

 

"Which one is the dog?" 

 

"YAH!" He snatched his phone back and smacked the other boy on the head with it. 

 

Jinki burst out laughing at the scandalized look on the younger's face and quickly he was clutching his stomach laughing too. No matter how many times that night Jinki saw Jonghyun smile it always dazzled him a little every time. Then Jonghyun's phone buzzed in his hand and he nearly dropped it from shock which had Jinki chuckling again. 

 

"This is my sister probably wondering where I am. . . It was nice meeting you, again." 

 

"Yeah, me too. See ya later Jonghyun-ssi." Jinki beamed at him. 

 

"Ha, yeah see you "Jinki-ssi"~" Jonghyun grinned and picked up the phone and walked in the opposite direction. Jinki could hear him saying "Hey, yeah, I'm near the house now. It's not even late. . . " as he walked away. With one last glance, he started towards his own house a few blocks away. 

 

Once in his room, Jinki shut the door and rested against it sighing blissfully. He couldn''t believe that he was so lucky. The boy that he had saw by chance one day was now going to his school and seemed to want to be his friend without him even trying.

 

They had only met that day and he could already tell that Jonghyun was fun to be around and definitely someone he wanted to spend a lot of time with. Jinki looked forward to seeing the many sides of Jonghyun as they got to know each other.

 

He honestly felt like he would wake up the next morning and realize that the whole day had been a dream. Jinki quickly changed into some shorts and got under the comforter on his bed. Well, we'll see if it was a dream tomorrow. he thought as he slowly began drifting off to sleep.

 

Just as he was at the door to dream land his phone rang loudly next to his ear. Jinki quickly picked up (he didn't think it was Jonghyun, totally not that) and rasped out: 

 

"Hello?" 

 

"Jinki." 

 

". . . Gwiboonie?"  


A/N: you guys like it? ^^ i started writing this at 6 am and now it's 8 am. . . i need to sleep. . . haha i hope this ch makes sense XD also if you guys have any scenes you especially want to see or story ideas you want to see me write in this fic you can always PM me or inbox me on tumblr. :) thanks for reading! bye~ <3