Green Eye

Coffee Stain.

Drip-brewed dark-roast coffee, with a triple shot of espresso. Also known as Triple Death. 



Hyunseung didn't know what to expect when Doojoon next walked into the cafe, but he certainly didn't expect Doojoon to bring a female friend with him, and certainly not one that was so pretty and polite and Hyunseung was so certain that held Doojoon's heart. Hyunseung's heart did a little painful clench and a dive when he sees Doojoon offer his hand out to the lady, helping her out of the car, and how the lady kept her hand hooked into Doojoon's as they entered the cafe. Hyunseung was sure that his face was frozen into a mess of hurt and shock when they entered and Doojoon greeted him, introducing him as a good friend of his. Doojoon didn't come at a relatively empty timing today and Hyunseung forced his face into a welcoming enough smile. 

"What... What would you like?" Hyunseung thought his voice sounded so sad and pathetic. He cringed. Both Doojoon and his female friend didn't seem to notice, though. Hyunseung thought his heart broke further when the lady replied, "Oh, Doojoon had always been talking about the daily special. Could I have that, please?" And Hyunseung just couldn't bring himself to hate the lady because she was just so nice and just so Doojoon's style. "Me too, Seung. You know what I like." Hyunseung raised his pale face to meet with Doojoon's slightly concerned one, but shook it away as he walked back to the room to prepare. Doojoon had been sharing his moments with Hyunseung with other people. It wasn't as special as Hyunseung thought it would. Truthfully, Hyunseung had always treated his customers nice, and like Doojoon, but Doojoon always had had the best treatment so far. Hyunseung couldn't lie about that. Ruthfully, Hyunseung began to brew the coffee, his heart breaking all over again above the hum of the coffee machine as he watches Doojoon and the lady engage in a talk that had Doojoon in laughter and the lady in smiles. 

They look good together. 

Hyunseung served two different types of coffee to that table that day. One for the lady and the other for Doojoon. The lady got Cafe Miel, which held such precious memories to Hyunseung that it hurt to serve it, but Doojoon's honey was this lady now. Doojoon... Doojoon stares at the dark liquid in front of him, a question on his lips as the lady exclaimed at the delicious honey taste of her coffee. Unlike previous times, Doojoon could only smell the bitter aroma of coffee in front of him, empty and void of any surprises. He gives Hyunseung a questioning gaze, but Hyunseung only gestures at the cup from the counter. Doojoon takes a gulp and almost blanched at the bitterness of three espresso shots on top of the normal coffee. It was bitter, but there was something vaguely comforting in the bitterness. A little acceptance, swirled in brown sugar and a little milk from the original coffee. There was a lot of sadness in the coffee, and Doojoon sighed. It was delicious, but it was a quiet type of deliciousness. The kinds that wake you up from within, infusing you with strength and a quiet end. Doojoon wonders what Hyunseung was thinking when he made this Today's Special. Hyunseung's daily special was never really quite fixed, you see. He made what he liked, but it was okay because what Hyunseung liked was always delicious. And as different this coffee Hyunseung served him today was, it was still delicious. 

Doojoon shifts his eyes towards Hyunseung as the lady chatted on. Hyunseung feels Doojoon's intense gaze and flushes. When they stood up to leave, the lady couldn't help but ask about the difference in the two drinks and Hyunseung could, while avoiding Doojoon's eyes, reply cryptically that "It was called a Daily Special for a reason," just like how he replied Doojoon a long time ago. 

Doojoon thought Hyunseung's eyes looked about as bitter as the coffee he just had. The lady thought Hyunseung was so sweet, like the coffee she just had. In actuality, Hyunseung had served them his heart, cut into two. 

Bitter-Sweet, just like coffee. 



End of Part I of the coffee collection. Thank You for Reading and leaving comments.