~One~

" Do You Love Me More Than Chicken? "

I laid down on my bed, listening to the crickets chirping. It was so deathly quiet like as if the world of the dead had come. I grabbed my handphone and looked at the time. It was 5:57 AM.

3 more minutes to 6 AM. I would have to get ready to go to the university by that time.

I grabbed my iPod and listened to some music. I put it softly so that I would hear my alarm clock ring off.

3 minutes later, the alarm went off and I got out of bed. I walked over to my wardorbe, took a pair of clothes and a towel and went to have a shower.

I came out, all dressed and ready to go, and went out of my room to fix myself breakfast. I just made myself a simple chicken ham sandwich, my favorite.

Mmmmmmm~ Chicken, how I love you~

I made myself a glass of hot chocolate after eating and drank slowly. Birds were singing outside already. I looked at the wall clock. It read 6:16 AM. Time for me to get moving.

I grabbed my schoolbag, my house keys and walked to the front door. I grabbed my old, tattered sneakers as I walked out of the door. I locked my apartment door, slipped my shoes onto my feet and walked to school.

I study in Kyung Hee University. It's cool, yes, but it's not so fun because I am classified in the weird nerds group to the kingkas and queenkas. I've no friends, no family, nobody. I'm a loner.

The cold morning air whipped at my face. Boy, it is really freezing! I wish I'd brought my jacket with me. I'm freezing out here!

However, I ignored it and continued walking on.

I reached Kyung Hee University in a matter of minutes. The gates aren't open yet. Oh, well, I'll just walk around the area and wait.

I went to the park nearby school. It was where I loved to unwind and relax after a long, hard day. I pulled out my iPod from my pocket and listened to some more music.

I watched the sun rise slowly in the horizon. Gosh, it's beautiful~

I mechanically took out another chicken ham sandwich and ate it, chewing it slowly as I watched the sun rise in its full blazing glory.

" BOO!!! ", someone suddenly shouted directly into my ear.

" AAAAHHHH!!!! ", I screamed, dropping my half-eaten sandwich.

My poor, half-eaten sandwich dropped onto the dew-covered grass. Gross! It's past the five-seconds rule! No!!! My precious sandwich!!!

But there was no time to think about that now. I turned around to see who had scared me like that. I saw a boy with a smirk on his face and a group of four other boys guffawing their heads off.

Lee Joon Kyung, the university's number 1 kingka. Mean, flirty, a playboy, popular, rich, good-looking, a total punk and a bully.

" Ahahaha! Gotcha there, didn't I, chicken? ", he sneered in my face.

I didn't bother to answer.

" Hah! You're not answering! So, I'm right, huh? ", he sniggered.

" I am choosing to ignore you, Lee Joon Kyung hyung. I don't want to have words with you. ", I answered, controlling my stutters.

" Why? You're chickening out? ", he sniggered again.

I kept quiet.

" You don't have the guts to stand up to me, right? ", he huffed proudly.

I clenched my fist, trying to control the anger that was boiling up inside of me. Joon Kyung was mocking me and making insulting signs at me. He was taunting me, I just know it! But if I do have the courage to beat him up, I would be popular! On the other hand, I don't want to pick a fight, especially with the university's kingka!

Suddenly, before I knew what was happening, my instincts took over and I gave Lee Joon Kyung one massive punch to his smirking face. He went down with a bloody nose.

" Woah, dude! You got pounded by a nerd! ", whistled Kim Yoon Kwang, one of his friends.

" K.O! ", shouted Im Doo Hwang, another of Joon Kyung's friends.

" Woah, man! He just punched you! You, the kingka! ", crowed Shim Han Yu, Joon Kyung's best friend since kindergarten.

" Hey, Joon Kyung! Get up now and show him who's boss! ", hooted Shin Hyun Jyeong, Joon Kyung's second best friend since high school.

Joon Kyung got up and faced me. I was starting to shake inside with fear, but I didn't want to show it.

" You just burst your bubble, chicken nerd. ", he said as he wiped the blood from his nose.

I didn't stop to receive what would happen to me. I quickly grabbed my bag from the park bench and sped off across the park. Joon Kyung and his friends ran after me in hot pursuit.

" Oh, god! Oh, god! Oh, god! Oh, god! Oh, god! If they catch me, I'm dead! ", I thought as I raced across the big park.

Suddenly, I tripped over a tree root and fell flat on my face. I wasted precious seconds clawing myself up from the ground. By that time, Yoon Kwang, the fastest of the lot, had caught up with me and started laying heavy punches on my chest.

I coughed out a wad of blood, but Yoon Kwang continued to send blow after blow to my wracked body that was slowly growing numb with pain. By the time he had finished with me, the others had caught up and they started punching, kicking and shoving me about like a ragdoll being tossed around roughly by a little girl.

Joon Kyung took out what looked like a Swiss pocket knife and held it to my wrist. My blood ran cold as ice when I saw the diabolical glint in his cold, black eyes.

" He's not going to! He's not going to! He's not going to! He's not going to! ", I thought as I prayed that he wouldn't do what I was thinking right now.

But it happened.

He made an inch long cut on my wrist. The wound seeped out blood, dark red and oozing.

" AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! ", I screamed out as he tightened his hold on my wrist so tight that I thought it would fracture. His strong grip was sending waves of pain throughout my entire arm.

" That's what you get when you punch the kingka of Kyung Hee University, bastard! ", spat Doo Hwang as he slapped a wound on my cheek.

" This is for my best friend's bleeding nose, ! ", screamed Han Yu as he punched my nose, making it bleed much worse than Joon Kyung's.

Joon Kyung clapped his hands and his friends left me on the grass, bleeding and bruised. I weakly grabbed a nearby rock and threw it at the disappearing figures with all the strength I could muster. But, unfortunately, it landed a few inches away from me. I was hoping it would bash Joon Kyung's brain out of his skull.

I walked through school. Students'  heads turned to stare at me, but no one bothered to bring me to the school's clinic, so I went there myself. Mrs. Kwon, the school nurse, was there doing her usual routine. But when she saw me, she was horrified.

" Lee Jinki, what happened to you, dear? ", she asked, clearly shocked at my appearance.

" Nothing. ", I lied, although I knew why I was beaten up.

" Don't lie to me, Lee Jinki. Something did happen. Is it that Joon Kyung boy and his friends again? ", she asked, placing her hands on her hips firmly.

" Fine, fine. It was them again, arasso? ", I sighed exasperatedly as she searched for the first aid kit in the medical cabinets.

" I knew it. Those boys are always picking on you. ", she heaved a sigh as she wiped some alcohol on my wounds.

I winced as the alcohol stung my wounds. It was like a few million needles sticking into my injured skin. But Mrs. Kwon was very gentle. She was my babysitter when I was a just a young toddler who was still crawling and drinking from a baby bottle and babbling nonsensical words.

When Mrs. Kwon had finished, I grabbed my bag and thanked her. When I was about to go out, she stopped me.

" Jinki-ah, why don't you find some friends? You're always alone, dear. ", she said.

" No one wants to be my friend. ", I answered plainly.

" You'll never know unless you try. ", she answered.

" I have tried, but no one knows I exist. I am merely another passing zephyr to them. ", I replied.

" Just keep trying, dear. Have a good day today. ", she said as she went back to her duties.

" I wish it would be for once. ", I thought as I walked into my classroom.

I sat at the back alone. No one sat with me, no one talked to me, no one said a word to me. It was like I was invisible.

Papers were occassionally thrown at my head, taunts from the boys rang in my ears, paper aeroplanes containing insulting notes were flown towards me and the mocking of girls rang in my head.

I didn't want to appear weak in front of everyone, so I ignored all of these insults and all. But inside, I was clearly breaking down.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, the bell rang and our teacher, Mr. Park Soo Chun, entered and gave us our boring geography lesson. I stared out the window and saw a little squirrel running across the university's empty halls. I wished I could be free like that squirrel out there. No rules, no responsibilities, no nothing. Nothing, except sweet, sweet, sweet freedom.

Lunch was the only minute perk. My favorite fried chicken was served with kimchi. I ate ravenously in my little table where no one sat at all. No one bothered to look at me.

School passed on quickly and ended at 1:30 PM. I was finally free of this boredom, but I had a part-time job as a cleaner till 4:45 PM in a café named Lazy Time. I had a small salary of 10000 won.

I would then make a little more money by walking the dogs in my neighborhood. I earned 500 won for each dog I walked.

At 6:15 PM, I worked for a nightclub as a waiter. I served drinks and side orders to customers. The salary I would earn was 15000 won.

I went home by 10 PM. My whole body was aching and exhausted by then, but tonight, I was so tired that I fell asleep by the time my head had hit the pillow. My body was killing me and my wounds were throbbing like hell.

But i was fast asleep by then, so I didn't have time to think about it.