A Plan Is Made

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

 

Boa’s house was located next to the main beach. So to drive towards town, we had to take a fork road ahead of the fishing port and after a few minutes of cruising down an empty boulevard, found ourselves on a bridge that crossed us over the lake and transported us to the centre of Verdelann.

A wide street ran down and cars were neatly parked on the side, in front of a variety of markets. I rubbed my eyes as I saw a sullen looking man with an inscription tattooed on his arm, politely handing out the bouquet of flowers he had made from his shop to a middle-aged woman. The car was moving slowly, as per the rules and I heard the man say, “Wishing your husband a quick recovery.” The woman gratefully bowed and climbed inside her Chevy truck. The man wiped the dirt on his apron and walked back in, only after giving Boa a nod and me a blank gaze.

“Who was that?” I fearlessly asked. Boa smiled and said, “That was Junhyung, the florist of the town. There are other shops too but his is the best. It was earlier run by his girlfriend but one day she went missing and after two years of no return, he took over.

My heart sank when Boa was done explaining and as the car left the shop behind, I found it hard to believe that such an intimidating man could be courageous enough to leave behind his pride for this. Boa must have noticed something, for the next moment she rested her hand on mine, that was on her seat’s shoulder.

“Saya,” she murmured in an advising tone. “When meeting people in this town, don’t be fooled by appearances. Maybe there’s something in the food but out here, everyone is unafraid of being themselves and living life to the fullest. There’s no competition here, we all help each other out. Even if one of us gets something in return for their hard work, that person would not accept until all of us get the same benefit. Which is why we’re introducing you to Yoona, she’ll help you around and get you settled in when I’m not able to.”

Yoona was my employee, a girl of my age as Yunho had said. She and her half-brother Yoochun were children of the town’s most popular prosecutor, Prosecutor Im, who was known for handling tough cases without any fear. Yunho had told me how Yoochun was going to follow his father’s path and that lately, with him busy, Yoona was looking around for a second hand.

“Perfect timing, right?” he had beamed. Boa had socked him in his stomach.

The car stopped infront of a dark green porch, a board hanging from it’s first floor. I leaned over and raised an eyebrow at the image of a quill with devil horns.

“The Forbidden Fruit,” I read out loud. I followed Boa, who had already jumped out of the car and run towards a girl for an embrace. The moment Boa moved away, I found myself blushing in embarrassment.

Yoona was, in true definitive terms, a beauty.

She had an oval face with fair skin, wavy hair that swept down her shoulders like silk curtains. She had soft features and doe-like eyes that threatened to melt any man (even woman)’s heart. More than her looks, it was her obvious genuineness that was attractive, every expression seeming like it was stemming straight from her heart.

A tall fair man stood next to her and I realized that this was Park Yoochun, the half-brother. Upon close observation, similarities between the two siblings was evident but the moment Yoona looked at me, I quickly looked away.

“Saya?” She grinned and held my hand. “Im Yoona here! This is my brother Yoochun and we’re more than happy that you’re here. Not just because you’re helping us around though, please don’t misunderstand!”

I smiled and nodded. “I have no problem whatsoever. The shop seems interesting.”

Yoona beamed at my words and pulled me in. “Do you know why it’s called The Forbidden Fruit?”

I cocked my head to the right and said, “Let’s see… because knowledge can be harmful at times?”

Yoona gave a soft smile. “Something along those lines. What it basically means it that all of us should have the right to know whatever we want to know and what we do with that knowledge is completely up to us. The first floor is for kids and young adults, the second floor is for readers beyond that age group and the third floor is full of non-fiction readings and archives. Feel free to look around!”

Suddenly, she faced me and bit her lower lip. “I forgot… Yoochun and I need to be home now, something’s come up…” The siblings exchanged glances, the tension evident in Yoona’s eyes while Yoochun just brazenly sighed.

“It’s Boneta,” Yoochun muttered. Boa’s eyes went on alert mode and I saw a hidden fire seething inside. Whoever that guy was, he surely knew how to get a reaction. Yoona flinched at his name while Yunho just gulped and started blinking rapidly.

Yoona saw my confused face and changed the topic. “I’m shutting the shop for now but I’ll see you tomorrow out here, okay? Three pm, alright?”

Before we could depart, she stopped me again.

“On second thought…” Yoona sheepishly smiled. “Let’s go out for brunch together. The café next to Zico’s record store.”

I recognized the name and nodded. Yoona smiled and let me off, grinning when Boa and Yunho thanked her for not inviting them. Yoochun waved us goodbye while Yoona rushed in to do her job. I saw her fragile back and smiled. At least I made one friend.