Circa 1845

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

 

Following Key’s advice, I spent more time on the topmost floor of The Forbidden Fruit whilst Yoona was busy in practice. As much as I hated keeping my new activity a secret from her, this little task had to be done to unravel what she was hiding and whether it was as meaningful to the rest of Verdelann as Key had said. There were moments in between where I would just stop and wonder if I had any right to snoop around the town’s history. But the tangible illusion of Hero’s transformation that day would put me back on track.

I had seen it. I had as much as right as any Verdelann native to know more.

Skipping through the politics of how Verdelann became an autonomous district, a history that I had already learnt thanks to Leeteuk’s special tutorial classes, I went ahead and studied about the genealogy of the population. I was surprised to find that Verdelann was able to house a variety of cultures. From Chinese to Japanese to Irish-American and even South American, there was not one part of the world that did not have a link residing in Verdelann. The statistics baffled me. How was it that the Arthurs were able to filter the so-called dangerous immigrants from the innocent ones? How on Earth was there so much space and heart for a small town like this to hold so many clashing cultures without any communal riots?

“Saya,” Boa murmured, “When meeting people in this town, don’t be fooled by appearances. Maybe there’s something in the food but out here, everyone is unafraid of being themselves and living life to the fullest. There’s no competition here, we all help each other out. Even if one of us gets something in return for their hard work, that person would not accept until all of us get the same benefit.”

Maybe Verdelann was always home to diversity. Maybe the different cultures, while coming together in this strange land, had smelt the air and realized that no one was to live for themselves here. I am giving you shelter, Verdelann must have whispered to the lost outsiders. Do not ruin me.

I shut the book and after dusting it off, placed it back on the shelf.

“You like history?”

I yelped and jumped up to a standing position. My hand placed on my heart, I gulped and took deep breaths as Hero sat on a lower shelf adjacent to the railing, watching me as I gathered enough oxygen to speak again.

“You….” I pointed to the door. “Didn’t… hear .. the bell…”

“I have my ways,” Hero shrugged. I narrowed my eyes, my mouth still open as I tried to catch my breath. I walked towards the staircases, holding on to the railing to climb down safely. I lost my balance and was caught by Hero, who until I ascended right to the counter, held me tightly.

“Thank you,” I nodded and sat behind the cash register. Hero smiled as a way of saying welcome and I focused on organizing the week’s accounts. However as soon as I started my job, the mist of discomfort settled in, suffocating me bit by bit. I sneaked a look and gulped upon seeing Hero stare at me. One glance at his face reminded me of the ‘other side’ of him, tightening my stomach and making me lose my breath for a while.

“Are you fine?” he asked, though his question might as well have been labelled rhetoric. I nodded and continued focusing on the sheets of paper lying before me.

“Is there anything I can help you with?” he said. I sighed and shook my head, my eyes still on the boring numbers and tables.

“Can I stay here for a while?”

That’s it.

“Hero, you can do whatEVER you want just—”

I was interrupted by my own gasp for as soon as I looked up, Hero’s face was less than an inch away from me. I blinked at the lack of space between us and tried to hold in my breath. Hero on the other hand began inspecting me, his eyes fluttering all over my face then on my clothes, finally at a spot above my head. His eyes landed on mine and like countless times before, I refused to look away. And that’s when it happened.

Slowly tilting his head, Hero closed in and my instinct made me move back. My actions were at a snail’s pace though, helpless and unnecessary. Hero stalled as he noticed my pursed lips, my face turned away to the other side. From my peripheral glance I caught him in the midst of thinking, giving me the opportunity to clear my throat.

“It’s just the two of us here,” Hero breathed out. “Making me aware of our situation won’t help.”

I felt heat rise up in my cheeks and started blushing with ferocity. I let loose my hair, allowing it to fall on my shoulders while I clipped the clutch to the ends of my sweater. Suddenly, the bell of the store rang and I saw Hero, leaving me alone with brisk steps.

My eyes widened in wonderment. How could he move so fast without making a sound? My hand hit against something solid and when I turned to my left, I found a thick book that resembled the Britannica Encyclopedia lying on the table. I narrowed my eyes and opened the cover, my eyebrows furrowing together while the bold font filtered through my rusted curiosity.

“The Autobiography of an Unknown Land,” I read out loud. “Verdelann’s Story by Kim Jaejoong, circa 1845.”

                                                                                          *******************************

The boys were going to behead me for this.