Unique

Damned For Good [HIATUS]

"Is it that obvious?"

Aiden's ears rang with Yoona's voice. He shook his head to remove the echoes. He was a vampire afterall, lethal, unpredictable, immortal...

There was no reason why a smart girl like Yoona would NOT be scared of him.

Still, he thought to himself, a frown creased upon his face. I always did my best to show her my best. Was it not enough or are we just not mean to be?

"Not afraid of heights?"

Aiden smiled, recognizing the voice. Without moving an inch from his usual spot, the roof of their mansion, Aiden said, "What brings you here?"

Hero sat himself next to his friend, a small smile on his lips. "Don't take it so hard. She'll come around."

"Well," Aiden sighed. "At least I'll be there when she does. It's a little far away... but I can wait. Another eighty years, my last chance."

As vampires, Aiden and his friends could sense the approximate age of when a person would die. The moment he laid his eyes on Yoona, he had learnt that she would live a long and healthy life. The guarantee was AIden's presence, always ready to protect her.

"You're right," Hero said. "Just another eighty years..."

Hero's words trailed off, like the sound of a distant bird vanishing in the horizon. Aiden noticed the uninvited silence and turned to look at his friend. The man was staring at the well-decorated flowerbed of their yard, his lips pursed and his eyebrows furrowed tightly. Deep concentration, a layman would say.

But Aiden knew better.

"What's with you and the new girl?"

Hero knew better than to play dumb. "Saya Lee. Ever heard the name before?"

Aiden fervently shook his head. "You know our memory is sharper than an elephant's. We all would have recognized her, IF we had met her before."

Hero sighed, silently agreeing. "I know... but her aura...."

"Familiar?"

Hero blinked at the sky then gave one curt shake of his head. "Unique."

Aiden rubbed his palms together and squinted his eyes in thought, momentarily forgetting about his own personal problems. "She's human, that's for sure. Maybe it's pent-up grief. Her parents recently died, if I'm not wrong."

Hero shook his head, a little frustrated this time. "No it's not that. I did think of that at first but.."

"You know what's strange? How only I think her aura is strange, but to the rest of you she's fine."

Aiden furrowed his eyebrows. "Now that you've mentioned it...."

Silence.

Suddenly Aiden stood up from his seat. Hero's intuition ticked off and he closed his eyes, waiting for the words to be spoken.

"Hyung," he heard AIden say. "There's a reason why only you think her aura is strange. It's because only YOU can feel her aura."

Aiden's eyes widened. "I didn't realize it earlier but for us four... that girl has no aura. It's like she's..."

"Dead."