Yes to Chicken!

Dating SHINee :〖A Choose Your Own Adventure!〗new chp: 48, 49

 

“Gladly!” I grinned at him. Who can resist the temptation of eating chicken with an adorable and clumsy guy?

 

I definitely can’t.

 

“Great,” He smiled widely. “Do you want to sit here? I’ll be off work in just half an hour. ”

 

He motioned to a nearby table. I bowed my head in thanks and sat down in the chair facing the window.

Although the view from the café was absolutely stunning, I found my gaze drawn towards Onew. I watched as he rushed around the café, carefully taking orders to each table. I smiled in admiration and concern as he balanced several delicate plates on his hands.

As noon approached, more customers arrived, and the buzz in the café steadily grew louder. Onew stumbled quite a few times, arousing my worry.

 

“I’m done! I’m sorry if I wasted your time,” He muttered as he slumped in the chair facing mine, wiping beads of sweat off his brow. I quietly chuckled to myself as he awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, obviously unsure of what to do.

 

“No, don't worry! It was worth it,” I smiled in appreciation. “You’re a hard-working guy, aren’t you?”

 

“I don’t know,” He rubbed his raw hands together, trying to relieve their soreness. “Hard work pays off later, but laziness pays off now.”

 

Huh. Alright then?

 

“I guess,” I faked a cough as silence enveloped us once more.

 

“So… chicken?” He sheepishly grinned at me.

 


 

“What would you like?” The lady behind the cash register yawned as she observed her fingernails, not looking up once.

 

“Fried chicken, please,” Onew stated his order and motioned for me to order.

 

Let’s see… there’s the baked chicken, the fried chicken, the boiled chicken…

 

“I’ll get the same,” I sighed. After poring over the menu, I decided to go along with Onew’s order. This was the first time I had visited this chicken-based restaurant, and I was completely clueless as to what was delicious and what not.

 

“That’ll be 13,420 won.”

 

“Yes, um…” I quickly fished out my wallet, which was stashed in my bag’s inner pocket.

 

“Here,” Onew handed the lady a few bills, and stashed his wallet into his pocket. “I said I would treat you, remember?”

 

“But…” My words faded away in uncertainty.

 

“How many letters are in the American alphabet?” Onew smiled as he graciously accepted change from the lady behind the cash register.

 

“Uh… twenty six?” Confused, I answered, drawing out my words slowly.

 

“Nope. Eighteen, since ET went home on a UFO and the FBI went after him.” He started towards an empty table near the middle of the restaurant.

 

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry…

 


 

“Ah, delicious!” The corner of Onew’s mouth pulled upwards into a satisfied smile.

 

“Yeah, it was,” I looked down as I wiped my mouth with a white paper napkin, trying to remove all traces of oil and crumbs.

 

However, I soon felt a looming presence over me. Looking up, I was surprised to find Onew’s face close to mine.

 

A bit too close, in fact.

 

Our noses almost touched; I could hear his steady breathing. My gaze was locked onto Onew as his face came closer. Everything was in slow motion; I could nearly hear my heart beating faster than usual.

 

“Onew?” I breathed, clenching my fists in nervousness.

 

“Crumb,” He gave concerned smile as he reached out and tenderly dabbed the corner of my mouth with his napkin. He crumpled the napkin into a ball, and tossed it into the trashcan next to our table. Awkwardness and silence surrounded us as I refused to look at his face, worried that there would be an evident blush on my face.

 

After what seemed like eternity, I slowly unclenched my fists, and broke the silence.

 

“Thanks,” I quietly mumbled.

 

“No problem. I’m just a lert on those things,” He toothily grinned.

 

“A… lert?” I repeated.

 

“You know, like alert? Like that…” He broke into a wide smile.

 

Oh my dear Lady Gaga... Where do these puns come from?

 


 

“Thanks for the meal,” I hoisted my bag over my shoulder, and slightly bowed to Onew. “I’ll treat you to crêpes one day. I know this really great place…”

 

We were now just outside the restaurant, standing in the heat of the blazing sun. Luckily, a giant tree planted in an empty square in the cement sidewalk provided shade. Spots of light danced across Onew’s face, as the noises of honks and peoples’ chatter surrounded us.

 

“You’ll treat me one day?” His eyes twinkled with gaiety and amusement.

 

“Oh, uh.  If you don’t want to, it’s fine…” I said under my breath.

 

Jung Roo Ri!

Saying that you would treat him is basically asking him if you could see him again!

And I totally didn’t mean to imply that…

 

“No, I’d be happy to. Hey, give me your phone,” He reached out his hand.

 

“O… kay?” I handed my cell phone to him apprehensively. He began to press some buttons and typed away, as I watched him curiously.

 

“Here,” With a snap, he closed my cell phone and put it in my empty hands. “You have my number now.”

 

I hesitantly opened my cell phone, and found his number under the name “Handsome and Adorable Guy”.

 

“Alright then, ‘handsome and adorable guy’,” I jokingly laughed.

 

All of a sudden, a look of realization dawned upon Onew’s face. He quickly took a look at his watch, and his mouth slowly fell open. 

 

“My break was supposed to be over ten minutes ago…” He gulped nervously. “ I really need to get back.”

 

“Thanks for eating chicken with me! Please get to work safely!” I nervously fretted, my hands moving in nervous twitches. I totally made him late for work…

 

“Call me for crêpes!” He made a calling motion with his hands, before turning away and running into the massive crowd of people.



 

Two weeks had passed before I remembered how I promised Onew that I would treat him to crêpes.

 

No, just kidding.

 

Actually, it never left my mind, but I was just too nervous to call. I pushed myself off my bed and observed the calendar sitting atop my cluttered desk.

Summer break was one-fourth over, which meant school started in a month or so.

(click your option)

 

Don’t call him! (coming soon)

Call him!

 

.