Strange Kwangmin

Basket Boys - Boyfriend Edition! (one shots)

                “Hello!” Kwangmin exclaimed, sitting down at our assigned table.

                I happily placed myself across from him, as I watched him place all the food neatly on the table. His dark bangs covered his large pretty eyes and I couldn’t help but wonder what he was thinking about.

                Jo Kwangmin, along with his twin brother Jo Youngmin, is two of the most popular boys in our class. They were both incredibly handsome, intelligent, and I guess they were pretty oblivious to it. Sure, a lot of girls liked them, but for the most part they cared about their friends and their studies more. I’m being a bit selfish, but I’m glad they’re single, ahaha.

                “So what do you wanna talk about?” Kwangmin asked, pouring me an ice-cold glass of water.

                I shrugged. “Whatever you want is fine with me.”

                Kwangmin puffed his cheeks, before taking a bite of a random cracker he had placed. “Umm. You’re in the class next-door to me, right? Room 203? With my brother?”

                Nodding, I followed him and took a cracker myself. We’ve finally found a common ground, we both know Youngmin! “Oh yeah! He’s really cool.”

                “Cooler than me?” he wondered, giving me a sly smile.

                “Maybe.” I said, smirking. I really wanted to get to know Kwangmin.  I knew so much about Youngmin already, and I knew next to nothing about his brother. Youngmin was always bouncing off the walls and being overly dramatic about everything. Was Kwangmin the same?

                “Well, I’ll prove you wrong.” He challenged.

                And indeed, he showed Jo Youngmin up.

                I want to tell you this, Jo Kwangmin and Jo Youngmin, no matter how many surnames they’ll share or similar face structure, are completely different. I’m putting you into perspective of those stereotypical twins who will do everything and anything together. Kwangmin was a more reserved and shy kind of guy, not too shy, but sometimes enough to overshadow if Youngmin was around. That’s why I never paid much attention to him.

                But I liked Kwangmin’s attitude more, it’s stable, but 4-D.

                “Youngmin is my hyung.” He said out of nowhere.

                “Really? I would’ve imagined you were.” I said, amazed.

                Kwangmin stuck out his tongue. “No way!”

                “But you’re more mature.” I reasoned.

                He frowned, and didn’t answer me.

                I looked to my side, feeling uncomfortable. This date wasn’t going as smooth as I imagined. I noticed Youngmin and his bidder on the opposite side of the room. They were both laughing, and eating dukbokki. Why couldn’t I and Kwangmin be that way? How hard could it be? My lips formed a thin line as I grew envious over the happy mood Youngmin and his date was in.

                “Excuse me… hello?” Kwangmin started waving his hand in front of my face, and on instinct I grabbed it. I didn’t let go, but I turned my head to face him. His cute features were frozen, and his cheeks were strangely pink. “Uhm.”

                I finally let go. “Sorry, what?”

                “Why are you staring at Youngmin?” he asked, giving his brother a little stare.

                “I wasn’t staring at Youngmin!” I defended myself, but I was clearly lying.

                Kwangmin scoffed, and placed some dukbokki on my plate. I noted that it was the exact same food Youngmin was serving to his girl, was it some sort of twin telepathy that they just happened to serve the same meal?

                We ate our meal in silence, and I wasn’t bothered at all by that, Kwangmin didn’t seem too in the mood. The food was good, and I told him, but he only nodded and mumbled a small thanks. What’s with the sudden change in attitude? He was perfectly fine a few minutes ago.

                “Hey, you okay?” I finally ask, my meal finished.

                The brunette continued to pick on the last piece of his food, not bothering to look at me. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

                I rolled my eyes in annoyance; I’ve finally met someone who’s even more terrible at lying than me. “At least Youngmin knows how to treat a girl.” I muttered, only loud enough for us two to hear.

                SLAM.

                The plates clattered a bit as Kwangmin hit the table, the knuckles on his one fist looking so ghastly white. “Excuse me.” He whispered, his voice calm. He gave a glance at his worried brother, and walked outside.

                A wave of guilt washed over me. I felt all eyes on me, especially a blond brother’s. Immediately I threw the napkin off my lap and followed Kwangmin to the school gardens.

                “Kwangmin-ah! Kwangmin-ah!” I called, wondering where he could’ve gone. The school gardens were currently under construction, and some areas were a little iffy to pass by.

                I wanted to scream so badly, but that would be even more embarrassing atop my current situation. I broke into a light jog as I searched the area for him, how far could he have possibly gone? “Kwangmin—”

                I felt a sudden tug at my leg, and noticed some rope surrounding my foot. My sneaker sank slightly on the newly turned soil. Yuck. I noticed a small wooden tree-supporter tilted on its side was leaning on my leg, and I stupidly picked it up, only to notice that it had a splinter.

                “Ow.” I grimaced at thin sliver of wood puncturing my leg. I stared at it for a good amount of time, I didn’t want to remove it from my leg, and I was too scared.

                I took one step—“Ack!” I forgot that I had rope around my other foot. Dirt engulfed my mouth. I immediately noticed the sharp pain of the splinter digging into my leg more and more.

                Beautiful.

                Out of nowhere, someone grabbed my arm, and it surprisingly was Kwangmin. I thought he was running away from me? He forced me to limp all the way to a clearing by the tree, and we sat side by side on the grass.

                I refused to look at him. I was scared he was going to yell at me. And I was pretty defenseless; I fell into a patch of dirt not even five minutes ago. Doing my best to take the icky taste of dirt out of my mouth and the stains off my uniform, I noticed Kwangmin was reaching for my leg.

                “Don’t!” I cried, making him retract so fast it was like a snake. “I’m scared.”

                He eyed the splinter, still in my skin. “If it doesn’t come out… you will die.” He said bluntly.

                I whined, and turned away, not wanting to look at him. “I hate you!”

                I heard Kwangmin’s speech hitch ever-so, as if I ruined any way of him speaking. The grass moved a bit. I felt him grab my hand. Then I felt a little tug at my leg. I whimpered. Every passing second Kwangmin’s grip got tighter and tighter, and strangely, I liked the feeling of inseparableness. I only thought about his grip, and until Kwangmin waved the splinter in front of my face was then I noticed that it was over.  

                Releasing my hand he pointed at the splinter that got inside me. “Look, it’s your blood.”

                I nodded.

                “You’re alright?”

                “Are you?” was my comeback, I didn’t care if I was ruining my socks, or I might get an infection after all of this.

                “I asked first.”

                “I’m fine. I deserved it anyway.”

                Kwangmin broke the stick into pieces, ripping it up until it was nothing but twigs. “So I presume you want me to leave?”

                “What?” I asked, stunned by his response. “What’s that supposed to mean? Who says I want you to leave?”

                “Or should I just call Youngmin for you?”

                Offended by his comments, I turned around fully and faced him, glaring at him. “I’m sorry that I ruined the date with my comment, I honestly am. But your attitude hasn’t been helping much either.”

                “What’s that supposed to mean?” Kwangmin replied, rolling his eyes.

                Our fight didn’t consist of yelling, thank goodness. At least we could be mature about this. “Ever since you caught me staring at your brother all you could complain about is him! You don’t even know why I was staring at Youngmin—”

                “Because you like him.” He concluded simply.

                Stunned for words, my eyes widened. “Why… w-why would I like Youngmin if I chose you?”

                “Exactly! That’s my problem!” Kwangmin got up, and started pacing. “Is it just for the fact that you wanted a library?” He turned around and faced the sun, his back to me. “Or… or was I just your replacement twin?”

                Confused, I stood up, disregarding the pain shooting through my leg. I tried grabbing him, but he only shooed me away. “Kwangmin,” I call, worried. “Hey… are you…” what I saw stabbed me in the gut as he turned around.

                “What!?” he asked, his eyes soon traveling to the ground. “Just because I’m not the over-emotional Youngmin doesn’t mean I can’t cry.”

                Immediately, I reached over and hugged his waist, and I was glad I didn’t have to fight with him if he pushed away.  I embraced him as tightly as I could, and Kwangmin’s soft sobs were trying to be muffled as he bit his tongue. I regretted how insensitive I was. I felt so stupid, and all I could do was hug him. “Kwangmin-ah.” I cooed, still full of questions. “What are you jealous of?”

                “I love Youngmin, but I’m jealous of him too.” He sighed, feeling ashamed of himself. “Youngmin had told me so much about you, how cool you are during school and how I should start talking to you. I thought it was a mistake when you bided on me.”

                Inhaling Kwangmin’s scent, I mumbled, “I wanted to know more about you, but I never got the chance.”

                “Because you kept staring at Youngmin.” He bit out.

                I clutched onto his shirt, feeling aggravated. “I was staring at Youngmin, and his date because… I was jealous too.” If he was jealous, would it make him feel better if I admitted to him that I was jealous too? “I was jealous of how smooth their date was going and ours… well…”

                “.” He finished, not feeling ashamed about it. “But I’m… I’m really sorry. I jumped to conclusions…”

                “How is this bothering you so badly?” I asked, making sure to keep the hug still intact. “It isn’t like you.”

                “You’re right, it isn’t like me.” He said, the flow of tears starting to stop. “Don’t laugh at me… when I say I like you.”

                My grip loosened, and Kwangmin noticed it. He backed away from me, his bangs covering his eyes. “I knew it.” He whispered with a sad smile.

                “Kwangmin! You’re jumping to conclusions again!” I told him.

                He lifted his head up ever so slightly, and a curious glance grazed his features. “You’re probably really hating my split personality again.” He said sheepishly. “I know you can’t like me now, since you have to get to know me first… so can we start over?”

                I laughed. “Sure, why not?”

                He bowed, and extended his hand. “Hi, I’m Jo Kwangmin.”

                I bowed in return and shook his hand exaggeratedly. “Hey yourself.”

                “Are you free Friday?”

                “Ahaha. For you? Maybe.”

                We both went inside, and the first thing we did was go to the infirmary to get the cut on my leg disinfected. I guess this wasn’t the date I expected, but nevertheless, it was a real experience. It wasn’t the typical ‘fall-in-love’ type of thing, although I’m finding myself staring at a particular Jo twin more and more…

~~~~

  1. I choose you, Kim Donghyun
  2. Stupid Jo Youngmin
  3. Shy Boy Hyunseong
  4. Minwoo's too Nice for his own Good
  5. Waiting for Jeongmin
  6. Strange Kwangmin

Wow... I'm done.

So guys, thank you so much for reading this little one-shot series. Who knows? Maybe I'll be back to do another Boyfriend fanfiction.

Again, thank you SOO MUCH! YOU GUYS MEAN A LOT TO ME THAT YOU READ MY STORY!!! :DDD

~Camille