Waiting for Jeongmin

Basket Boys - Boyfriend Edition! (one shots)

                “Do you need help with that? It looks a bit heavy.”

                Jeongmin lifted his picnic basket up and down, shrugging. “It isn’t too bad. Besides, as the gentleman I must make sure my lady is as comfortable as possible.”

                We were in the school’s courtyard, walking around and looking for a grassy area to settle down on. I struck Jeongmin as the romantic type, and I was right. He always had my intentions first, asking if I wanted to eat outside, he even offered to hold my purse.

                “This place looks alright.” He said, and plopped his picnic basket on a really shady area, yet the grass still managed to glow a pretty shade of green. Jeongmin opened his picnic basket and took out a blanket. His face fell. “Oh my gosh.”  I came closer to figure out what made him flustered. “I—I picked Kwangmin’s blanket instead of mine.” He muttered under his breath.

                I blindly grabbed the piece of cloth from his hands, and opened the blanket all the way. I couldn’t contain my laughter, as I a big Pikachu blanket staring right at me. “Wow! Hehe, it’s so cute!” I said, setting the blanket down on the grass.

                Jeongmin made a face, and plopped himself down on the ground, his arms sprawled apart widely. “I just totally ruined the romantic feel of today.”

                “I’m fine with it.” I reasoned, reaching for his hand. I felt a little bit of electricity shoot through me as I helped him sit up.

                “At least I can tell you I’m the best cook out of all the basket boys.” He said, perking up. He started setting up the plastic flatware, and began revealing me a bunch of good food. Finger sandwiches, sushi, a little bit of meat and rice, and chocolate-covered strawberries.

                “I believe it!” I giggled, taking out a strawberry and popping it in my mouth. I closed my eyes and savored the taste.

                He smiled in triumph, picking up a piece of sushi and putting it towards my mouth. “Say ahh~”

                “Ahh~” I felt a bit insecure, and opened my mouth just a little bit, enough for him to feed me the little piece of rice. I chewed heartily, and made a thumb up. I eventually gave in and started reaching for the strawberries and feeding him as well.

                We continued our meal all couple-like. It would’ve made anyone who was watching throw up. We were being all cute and stuff, you know, being close and being a couple. He was a damn good basket boy. He knew all the right tricks and didn’t look too devious. He even seemed like the smart type, when we were talking he always had good comebacks and bright comments.

                The brunette boy started folding up the blanket slightly, and set it atop the picnic basket. “I’m sure no one’s planning to steal a Pikachu blanket and an empty picnic basket.” He joked, sticking out his tongue. He offered his arm out to me in a perfect triangle. “Why don’t we go take a walk?”

                I nodded, gently latching myself to his arm. I was feeling a bit full, maybe I needed to walk around a bit.

                We passed by the garden club’s area, where they were beautifying the school. I squealed, and dragged Jeongmin over to the newly planted rose bush. I leaned my face towards a scarlet flower and closed my eyes. It smelt happy, I don’t know what happy smells like, but that’s how it felt.

                I felt Jeongmin tug on my hand. “Don’t get too close, you might get hurt from the thorns.” He reprimanded, pulling me away. “Here… try this on.”

                Jeongmin knelt down and I watched him pick a small daisy. He twirled it around his finger a few times, the stark white petals surrounding the bright gold center. He came forward and I felt him tuck my hair behind my ear, and my eyes traveled down to my feet in embarrassment.  I softly touched the daisy he placed in my hair.

                “Hey, the garden club’s going to get mad that you’re pulling out their flowers.” I mumbled, keeping my voice quiet so I wouldn’t ruin the mood.

                “They won’t notice one flower.” He reasoned. “Besides, it makes you look prettier. Think of it as my souvenir to our date.”

                I smiled, grateful. This date had been absolutely perfect. I had the most romantic guy right next to me, and it seemed like the best moment to confess my feelings to him. I really liked Jeongmin.

                “Can I ask you something?” I say faintly.

                “Sure, what is it?” he asked, his attentive attitude urging me to go on.

                “Jeongmin, I—”

                Stopping short, I realized we weren’t alone anymore. I turned my head slightly, and noticed another couple. I realized Jeongmin paid no attention to me, as his eyes were focused on the other girl. My heart ached, but I continued to watch the scene like an Asian drama, I felt invisible. The girl was unbelievably beautiful, with dark wavy hair and a slender figure. She ignored her boyfriend for a moment to lock eyes with Jeongmin, whose face appeared hurt and broken. Eventually she shook her head, and walked away without a word.

                When she was finally gone, Jeongmin fled off in the other direction. I immediately went after him, trying to get in front of the boy. I ended up pulling his arm when I realized I wasn’t fast enough.

                He quickly shook my grasp off of him, and my arm flung to the side in an instant. He didn’t turn around. “Heh… I just ruined everything, didn’t I?” he laughed sadly.

                Shaking my head, I quickly defended it. “You didn’t, it’s alright.”

                “I’m thankful, but you’re lying isn’t making me feel better, sorry.” His blunt words struck me just a bit.

                It was a little silent as I tried to play out my words, but when we finally returned back to where we set Jeongmin’s picnic basket I took no hesitation to set out the Pikachu blanket. Jeongmin looked like he needed to sit down.

                “That girl was pretty.” I whispered absentmindedly.

                “She is.” Jeongmin replied back in the same tone. “But not on the inside.”

                I straightened my back and turned to face him. His handsome face was pulled down, and I wondered if I should coax this out of him. “What do you mean?”

                Jeongmin sighed, settling his hands on his knees. “We went out for a while actually, I don’t know if you knew about it or not.” I shook my head, but I was totally lying. Of course I knew he was dating someone beforehand, but I jumped at the opportunity to bid him at the basket boy’s auction when everyone said he was single. But I didn’t think of how he felt, and if I really liked him, I should’ve. “Well, I thought we were doing great… but I guess I was too naïve.”

                I wanted to reach out and grab his hand, but used all my might to stand still.

                “Her current boyfriend… is the guy she cheated on me with.” His nose was turning red at the sensitive topic. “I don’t even know why she cheated.”

                “Jeongmin…” my voice trailed off, not knowing what to follow up with.

                “But all I can think about is the good memories.” He admitted, his face dejected. “How I could always light up her face when she was sad, or how she could always light mine.” I didn’t know if he knew it or not, but Jeongmin was smiling. “We lived together for a little while when her parents went on a honeymoon to Jeju. We even brushed our teeth together.” He laughed. “I remember my embarrassment when I accidentally made her teeth bleed.”

                Forcing a smile, I finally reached out and gave his hand a squeeze. “T-to be honest…” I mentally cursed myself for not getting out the words right, I was too blinded that he was talking about his love for another girl. “At the very least you have to be happy. You had wonderful times with her. Even though it ended in the wrong way… you should be thankful that someone loved you back, even for a short while.”

                Jeongmin’s eyes looked at me strangely. “Normally, people would tell me to stop moping around and move on.” I blushed, rubbing my neck awkwardly. “But I am happy.” He said, reaching for my hand in return. “I think… that was the last time I’ll have of her.”

                It was my turn to stare at him strangely. “What do you mean?”

                He smiled wryly. “I’m not going to put up with all of my thoughts anymore. I can’t like her anymore; I have to keep telling myself it isn’t worth it.” He bit his lip, and although I found that extremely attractive, I could tell he was thinking of something important to say. “Thank you for telling me this… it means a lot.”

                He reached forward and put my arms around my waist. I smiled, and hugged him back with a good squeeze.

                Jeongmin breathed loudly, getting it all out. “Ah! I feel so much better!” he grinned at me. “So what did you want to tell me earlier?”

                I froze, remembering my intentions to tell him how much I liked him. “Heh, ahm, I forgot.” I was blushing furiously, and wringing the hem line of my shirt like I was doing laundry.

                He gave me a look, and leaned into my face. “You… like me?” He questioned simply. Maybe it was just intuition?

                I caved in. I puffed my cheeks out, defeated. “Well, you know… yeah.”

                “Heh.” It looked like he was expecting something like this, and I didn’t blame him for it. “To be honest, today was the most fun I’ve had in a while.” I felt him scoot closer to me. “It would be wrong of me to accept your feelings now, as I learn to get over my ex, I’d like to devote myself to only you. It wouldn’t be fair.” He said, looking towards the sky. “But I think… it won’t take me long to like you.”

                My breath hitched in my throat.

                I snapped out of my trance and moved closer to him, our knees grazed each other. “At least… let me help you get over her quicker.” I owed him that much, to free him of his heartbreak. Without warning, I pressed my lips to his in a feather-like touch. I felt him gasp against me, but understood my message and responded quickly, kissing me back.

               Pulling away, but only a few inches apart, Jeongmin smiled, telling me it was alright. He caressed my cheek with his one hand. “Please wait for me.”

               This one time I’ll compensate, just for him. Lee Jeongmin, don’t make me wait long.

~~~

To be honest, this was my favorite one to write, I don't know why though. Based on Don't Touch my Girl, hehe.

1. Donghyun

2. Youngmin

3. Hyunseong

4. Minwoo

5. Jeongmin

6. You know who :D

~Camille