Chapter 1

His Delicate Hands

Today's performance has been flawless as always. As expected from a great idol and his talented back-up dancers. The idol's company always picked the best dancers to be on stage together with Lee Taemin, an idol with superb voice and graceful dance move. He did not only capture just girls' heart but also some guys' heart including one of his back-up dancers, Kim Jongin. At first, Jongin only admired Taemin for his dancing talent. During the idol's debut broadcast, Jongin, who happened to be in a diner in Seoul that had the show aired on its old television can't tear his eyes off the screen. Since that fateful day, he who has been in dancing classes since his childhood days determined to polish his talent to be on the same stage with his idol. A year later, he went to an audition organized by Taemin's company and danced his heart out in front of the company's representatives. Few days after that, he got an offer letter to be a trainee in the company.

The first time he met his idol, it happened in one of the practice room of the company. He was on his way to the trainees' practice room when he saw Taemin's on his dance routine for his comeback. He just stood still in front of the practice room's doorstep too amazed to move. Taemin realized his frozen presence there after the music echoed in the room had died. He flashed Jongin a blinding eye-smile (according to Jongin; he might also saw a halo on the idol's head). That was the day he felt a little pieces of his heart has been stolen. The day he was announced to be one of Taemin's back-up dancer was the happiest day of his life. He even treated his closest friend, Sehun to an expensive Italian restaurant despite his stingy self. Sehun was also picked among other trainees to be Taemin's back up dancer. He also known about Jongin's not little crush on the idol. "Don't fall too deep, Jongin," advised Sehun. He always worried about his friend that he's afraid that Jongin's heart might be broken because of unrequited love. He reasoned that Taemin's an idol while they're just back-up dancers who will never be under full spotlight and just functioned only to fill in the empty spaces on stage. Being a stubborn Jongin, the advices from his friend have always been ignored to be vanished in the thin air.

On the debut day of Jongin and Sehun as Taemin’s back-up dancers, they were so happy but the butterflies in their stomach can’t be ignored because of the nervousness. Jongin’s heart beats about a thousand times per second as he was very excited to be on stage with his idol while worried that he will mess up the idol’s stage. They have been practicing for about a month but mistakes can happen at the most unexpected time sometimes. During that one month of dance practice, Jongin can’t help but falling harder and deeper for his idol. He tried hard to ignore the image of sweaty (and y) Taemin reflected on the mirror every time they practiced, but he can’t stop ogling the languid body movements that Taemin made when they danced together. His dance skills have improved day by day. Once, Taemin even complimented him because he thought that Jongin stood up among the other dancers. Jongin’s grin stretched up to his ears that day. He was so delirious that he felt like he is on cloud nine all day long.

Jongin, Sehun and their fellow back-up dancers were being dressed up in a dressing room provided to the idol’s make-up team. They were given fancy clothes matched with taemin but never will outshine the idol’s outfit. Their hair was styled by the company’s hairstylists. Jaehyun, Jongin’s hairstylist happened to be an easy-going person. He continuously conversed with Jongin while doing his job; that’s why Jongin didn’t sleep when his hair was styled unlike Sehun who already out once seated in front of the mirror. “You know Jongin, I heard Taemin is in a relationship with Minho, you know him right? The rapper who featured in Shinee's Jonghyun’s song? They also have their comeback today,” Jaehyun asked in the middle of styling Jongin’s hair. “WHAT??,” too shocked, Jongin yelled while standing up and eventually shocked the entire room except the sleeping Sehun, of course. He then bowed briefly to the room’s occupants when he realized his slip-out. “Hey, calm down.. Why? You haven’t heard about it aren’t you? I thought everybody already knew,” said Jaehyun. Jongin’s face changed after that. He was very upset to hear that his idol has already has someone special even though the news he heard might be just a rumor. His excitement about his debut stage earlier had turned into disappointment about his crush. Fortunately, he managed to avoid any mistakes on the stage. However, Sehun who noticed the change in his mood had no idea about the news he heard. “What’s wrong?” Sehun asked after they finished the recording, with obvious concern on his face. “Nothing,” Jongin replied with expressionless face. He thought that Sehun will mock him for ignoring his advices regarding his crush on Taemin all this while. Didn’t want to push further, Sehun just shrugged and left to go back to the dressing room.

Jongin walked slowly to the dressing room while passing through other idols and staffs in the busy hallway backstage. He stopped briefly after he saw a glimpse of figure that seemed like Taemin in one of the room with half-opened door in the hallway. He shuffled slowly towards the room to get a better view of the figure and what he saw made his heart fell and broken into pieces. There was Taemin, not alone but with someone he recognized as Minho. He did not see the face, but based on the long legs and slim figure, he is sure that the person who is Taemin’s face is him. He backed up slowly and left the room with a single tear fell from his left eye. He just witnessed the truth of the rumor he heard from Jaehyun with his own eyes.

Since the incident, Jongin’s behavior changed. He became quiet, unlike his previous energetic and bubbly self. He continued his job as a back-up dancer for Taemin on stage but he always had his head down whenever they had broadcast schedule and dance practice. Sehun did not fail to notice these changes anyway. After a week, he consulted Jongin after their dance practice ended. “Hey Jongin. What’s wrong with you? You’ve not being yourself lately. I noticed it started on our debut day. Do you have any problem?” Sehun played his role as Jongin’s best friend very well. Jongin who can’t hold it to himself anymore just spilled his heart out while sobbing hard. Sehun listened to every word from Jongin while pitied his friend and comforting his friend later that night by sponsoring a dozen of soju to his friend. Jongin felt a bit lighter after spilling all his disappointment to Sehun and determined to not fall in love easily with anyone starting that day.

Being a good looking packaged with a lean body dancer, Jongin actually managed to catch a few admirers. Everytime he danced, he can feel few pairs of eyes fixed on him like he is a piece of delicious grilled meat but he just ignored them because he only reserved his heart (and body) for Taemin. After the incident which can’t be recalled, he still ignored the attention he got but this time because his heart is reserved for himself, not anyone else.

Today, he had a broadcast schedule at ‘K’ television station. He has been accustomed to his job already since it’s the third week of Taemin’s comeback. As usual, before they perform, they will be dressed up in their assigned dressing room and had their hair styled properly and maybe applied some make-up (they will never be under spotlight anyway). One thing that also changed after his heart break is his habit in dressing room. He avoided talking with anyone because he doesn’t want to hear anymore heart-wrenching news about taemin. He had been taken on sehun’s habit since then. Once seated, he closed his eyes and tried to shut himself from the world and just waited for his hairstylist, usually it's Jaehyun to style his hair silently. However, when he is in the brink of sleep a few minutes later, he heard a loud ‘clank’ in front of him. The first thing that caught his eyes after he opened his eyes is a mess on the make-up table. The loud ‘clank’ sound earlier apparently came from a pair of scissors that fell on the floor. He noticed it when he lowered his gaze to his feet. “What’s wrong Jaehyun-ah?” he asked, concerned with his usual hairstylist. However, when he raised his gaze to see the reflection of Jaehyun on the mirror, his eyes met with a pair of bulging wide eyes instead.

To be continued…