Chapter 5

Hug Me Not

CHAPTER 5

 

I revealed to him about the experiences that created me the fear. "Jeongmal mianheyo. I was one of those who created your fear. Don't be afraid to hug me. Seohyun-ah, don't be afraid." Wongeun encouraged me as he tried to raise his arms again.

But I shook my head. "I'm afraid to lose you completely. I'm not ready yet."

"Don't be afraid." He encouraged me more by using his sincerely pleading eyes.

I was kind of hesitant if I should allow him. I badly wanted to feel his embrace again but my fear kept on repressing me. I relentlessly cried until I realized something. "Are you tired?" I asked. He greedily bestowed a word but I understood what he wanted to respond when I saw him closing his eyes as his tears inevitably oozed. When I saw his reaction, I instantly forgot my fear, so I hugged him as tight as I could. He hugged me back as tight as he could.

"Neomu mianheyo!" He felt sorry for me that he couldn't fight back any longer. He was so weary.

"Aniyo. Neomu mianheyo. I fail to realize that you're weary. I've been selfish." I said.

"I hope I could still bear."

"Don't force yourself anymore."

 

 

Wongeun's appa has arrived from his work. I bet he excused himself for emergency. He hastily went his way to Wongeun. "Wongeun-ah, my son. How do you feel?"

"Appa. Pigonhae.(I'm tired.)"

It was too painful watching Wongeun suffering. I couldn't describe how pitiful he looked like. I felt like my heart was repeatedly stabbed. We all couldn't withstand our emotions. We didn't want Wongeun to leave yet, but he said he was tired. Watching him suffering, we couldn't deprive him if he would crave for rest.

"Do you want to rest?" His eomma asked as she tried to stop sobbing in front of her son.

Wongeun didn't responded directly but surprised us by asking back "Can you do me a favor? One last favor?"

"Ne. Ne. Whatever you wish, my son."

 

 

We fulfilled Wongeun's one last favor. We went to the seashore because he wanted some fresh air. We unfolded the wide blanket on the sand. We seemed had a picnic in the seashore. Wongeun requested to invite all of my friends. I was glad that they all came for Wongeun. We made the hours left to Wongeun memorable. We took pictures, a lot of pictures. He requested not to see us sad, and so, though we found it hard to do, we tried. We tried to smile in the pictures for him. When it was snack time, Wongeun did not eat. He just watched us. "Eomma, appa." Wongeun seized the attention of his parents.

"Ne?" "Son, what is it?"

"Would you permit if I want Seohyun to take care of  Dasom?" A sudden silence entwined us. "I know that you have been attached to Dasom since you took care of her while I was away. But you were aware that I adopted her because of Seohyun."

"Uri ihaehae.(We understand)" His eomma answered while his appa nodded.

"Neomu kamsahamnida." He smiled.

"Dasom-ah, did you hear that?"

"Ne appa." Dasom answered.

"Do you want to stay to your eomma?"

"Ne appa."

Everyone smiled implying our joy about Wongeun's decision and his parent's consent. I didn't have even a bit of idea that Wongeun had a plan like that. I was surprised. And I was very glad that no one objected.

"Seohyun-ssi, if you need us, don't hesitate to come to us, okay?" Wongeun's appa said.

I looked at his eomma who was smiling and nodding, so I moved to reply "Arasseo. Neomu kamsahamnida."

"Seohyun-ah, you do likewise to us, okay?" Hyoyeon interrupted.

I thankfully looked at her and to the rest of my friends who said in chorus "Ne." They overwhelmed me. I felt like everyone was there for me. I thanked all of them and Wongeun did likewise.

 

 

Time had run fast. I didn't realize that the sky was nearing its time to bid goodbye to the sun. I didn't know what Wongeun had planned, but he excused Dasom and I to everyone.

"Arasseo. But don't go farther." His eomma reminded.

We went somewhere not far from where my friends and his parents were. We stopped at one place. Wongeun invited us to sit at the root of the huge tree. "Can I lie on your lap?" He asked me.

"Of course."

As soon as he lied down, he called out Dasom. "Dasom-ah, come near me."

"Ne appa." Dasom obediently moved to Wongeun's side.

"Dasom-ah, be good to Seohyun, okay?  Treat her as your real eomma."

"Ne appa. Geokjeonghajima. I really will do." Dasom said.

He rubbed Dasom's hair and gladly said "My kind daughter."

Then he looked at me. "Seohyun-ah, thank you for accepting Dasom."

"I'm glad that you have someone to leave with me." I said.

He nodded in relief and smiled. "You take care of each other."

"Ne. Geokjeoghajima." I assured.

He sighed and thereafter said "Mianheyo, I can't stay any longer."

Though I found it hard to accept, I managed to reply "Ihaehaeseoyo.(I understand)"

We couldn't help the moment. We all couldn't stop our tears from oozing. "Ulji maseyo.(Don't cry.)" He requested.

"Appa!" The intelligent Dasom knew what to anticipate.

"Dasom-ah, ulji maseyo."

He looked at me and flew his hands on my cheeks to wipe my tears. I couldn't tell him that I was not yet ready to let go of him. But I knew that he was too weary, so I have to accept if he bid goodbye. I tried not to be selfish to him.

"Wongeun-ah, I want you to know that I appreciate everything, everything that you did for me. I am really blessed...to have you. You really love me that's why I love you so, that it's too painful to see you go...I will never forget you...I will never ever forget you. You will forever stay in my heart." I bursted.

"Gomawo. Nado neomu saranghae.(Thank you. I love too very much.)"

He picked something from his pocket. "Seohyun-ah, I failed to give you this ring in the chapel."

I tried to smile. Dasom silently watched us. She genuinely smiled when she saw the ring. "I'm glad you keep it before you fainted." I said.

"Ne. Give me your hand."

I gave my hand and he wore me the ring. It perfectly fitted on my ring finger. "Gomawo." I just accepted the ring as it came from him. I didn't bother to ask what the ring symbolized. He thereafter held my hand and Dasom's. He kissed them as he gently closed his eyes.

"How I wish I could stay one more hour...but...neomu pigonhae!(I'm so tired!)"

"Appa, don't." Dasom cried.

"I think I couldn't take it." I was drowned with tears. I thought I have accepted already about that.

"Neomu pigonhae." Wongeun reminded.

I could perceive that he really wanted to stay longer but he was too burdened and weary. There I go again, I started conflicting between mercy and selfishness. I pitied for his burden. I hated watching him suffer. But then again, I'm too scared to lose him. I didn't know what exactly I should do. Nevertheless, I have to be strong for the impending torture.

"I'm scared..but..if you're weary.....you can rest." I hardly said.

We all cried because we all didn't want to end like that. He covered my eyes and Dasom's with his hands. "I don't want you to see me go." Wongeun explained.

We hardly stop the pain as well as the tears. We were really hurting. The hurt had tantamount to torture. That's how we felt.

"I love you both....very much." That was the very last words that I heard from him. Right after uttering those unforgettable words, I gradually unfelt the touch from his hand in my eyes. I knew then what happened. Before the sun had set, he lost his breath.

"Appaaaaaaa!" Dasom cried outloud.

"Andwaeeeh..Wongeun-ahhhhhh!" I couldn't help the moment so I likewise cried outloud. We both hugged him very tight.

"Wongeun-ahhhh!" His parents came and cried.

They immediately traced us because of our loud cries. I knew that when they heard our cries, they already knew what happened, so they immediately sought us.  And when they found us, they saw my dear Wongeun lying on my lap, wrapped with my arms and Dasom's, lifeless.