7 Months Earlier - Part 1

Love, Pastry and a Lonely Girl

“Yah!  Why are you still in here?” the loud shout coming from the head that had just popped through the kitchen door made him flinched. 

 

Luckily he wasn’t pouring anything into his donut dough batter at the moment because he surely didn’t want to redo the whole thing all over again when the time to open up the store was only within another fifteen minutes.

 

He looked up to see his friend’s annoyed face.  It made him smiled. 

 

“What’s with the smile?  I want you out of the kitchen now and go out for at least 4 hour.”

 

Ignoring his friend who was also the manager of the cafe store they shared together, he continued with the last few steps of making his donut, frying it, set it and dressed them up with sugar, chocolate, cream and different type of glaze.

 

“Kyu Jongie, you spend too much time in the kitchen.  I want you to go out there and socialize a bit.  See the streets, the people…get a little life outside of the kitchen,” his friend said for the nth time this month, with his hands on his waist.

 

“Let me finish up first, okay?” he said, giving in to his friend’s request.  ‘I could always go back home and try out new recipe.’

 

“And don’t go home this time around.  I know what you are thinking Kyu Jong ah…”

 

Kyu Jong froze.  ‘How the heck did he know what I was thinking of doing?  Arghhh…he knew me to well.  Or, did he found something in the kitchen yesterday?  I thought I’ve cleaned all the evidence away.’

 

He felt an arm went over his shoulder as someone’s breath hit his neck.

 

“The pineapple tart is delicious.  Did you forget to distribute it to the kids at the kindergarten near our apartment?”   Those words that were whispered in his ear shocked him.

 

Kyu Jong cringed.  ‘I knew I have forgotten about something yesterday.’