Epilogue Part 2

Betrayal of the rising star
 
  

Mirai cannot forget the indigestible words from Ayame which tortured her badly... Clutching his hand in hers, she brought it to her face and lightly kissed the back of his hand with her plain lips. without letting go, she buried her face on her beloved's chest as she recalled the words Ayame spoke.

"he... was stabbed in the chest by the sword of Yamaguchi-san which pierced through so deeply that it punctured one of his lung. the physician said he was lucky he did not bleed to death cause by the time I brought him to the clinic, he was barely breathing. it was a greater miracle that he could survive only on one lung... however when he awoke from his long comatose, he sustained the effects of his permanent defect. he could no long wave his sword or use weaponry as it would be too taxing for his lung. he falls ill easily, especially during the cold seasons. he has become asthmatic, so he cannot overstrain himself in vigorous activities like running. he was a nobody by then, he gave himself a new identity and unfortunately, no one wanted a unhealthy man, so the society decided to abandon him and place him among the outcaste. but he never whined. he said being a labourer can train his strength and stamina. He didnt want to burden anyone with all of his ailments and social status, so he rather isolate himself and be self-sufficient like his younger self. no matter how much I tried to help him, he just wouldn't accept me. it hurts to see him like this! he shouldn't be leading such a hard life. he doesn't want people to pity him or see him in such pathetic state, especially not the woman he loves. so why do you have to continue hurting him!!! can't you at least try to make his life better by disappearing from his sight!!"

3721_original.jpg

She brushed his bangs away from his forehead and admired his freshened up face. His frown has untangled slightly and his lips has regained the healthy color. Yet his consciousness has not returned. Sat beside his relaxed body, she refused to even let go off his hand or rest cause she was afraid if she shut her eyes, he will disappear again. with her unwavering glance, she memorized every spot, every scar, every scratch, every wrinkle that was so beautifully carved on the sides of his eyes. She Placed a cold handkerchief on his forehead to take away his heated body, while cautiously putting a thin blanket over him. Her prayers never stopped, her tears never stopped too, especially after the royal physician's words.

"he has had an asthmatic attack. fortunately your highness, you brought him in early or his prolonged breathlessness can cause more severe conditions. He is also suffering from fatigue and as a result of all these, he's running a fever. once his fever subside, he should be okay."

"can we cure his asthma?" Mirai asked in the presence of Yuto, Daiki, Yuma and Hikaru who were equally shocked by the condition of Ryosuke when Hikaru carried him back with the accompany of the worried Mirai.

"as you know your highness, his asthma wasn't caused by nature. one of his lungs is not functional so unless we replace his lung, which is impossible in this state of medical advancement, his asthma will stay for life. but if he doesn't overstrain himself, an asthma can be kept within control... but pardon me for asking, who's this man? he suffered many blows to his body, there were injuries everywhere." the physician asked since Hikaru has masked up Ryosuke's face so the physician wouldn't know his identity for the time being. it's cruel for Ryosuke but a necessary step to protect him from endless gossips.

"there's no need for you to know. just do your job~" Yuto spoke on behalf of his lady, with a stern voice, obviously fighting his tears. Mirai could tell from her closest guard that this reunion with Ryosuke wasn't the best one and even his strong heart was breaking. The physician was excused from the room and the room was only left with two occupants whose hearts are bleeding profusely.

She didnt realise that regardless of how hard she tried, she still fell asleep with his hand still tightly entwined with hers. She was awakened by a piece of warmth that blankets over her slouching back. She turned and saw Hikaru standing behind her back with his usual comforting smile but with a tint of sternness. 

"Is he still unconscious?" he asked with sincere concern.

"yes, he hasn't woke up yet... Hikaru, I'm worried..."

"lets talk outside," Hikaru grabbed her hands and brought her out, but she was surprised to see Yuto and Daiki accompanying Ayame whose eyes were reddened that there was no doubt she cried as badly as herself.

"why do you bring her here...?" Mirai said with a tone of possession and to the men, it sounded like jealousy.

"let me take care of Ryosuke..." Ayame begged.

"Ryosuke is not for you to call. and I can take care of him, there's no need to worry."

"what can you do now...Mirai-sama... what can you do for Ryosuke-sama? elope? restore his position? what can you do?! why not let your own men tell you the impossibility of whatever plans you have," Ayame looked to Hikaru for further explanation.

"Mirai... no matter how much hope the people have on Ryosuke before he was declared dead, it won't be the same now. people are forgetful so what he has achieved when he is 'alive' will have been forgotten and taken for granted. Mirai, you must also remember that he's dead in the eyes of law and in everyone else's. how are you gonna explain to the whole world his miraculous survival. reinstating his position is really not an option. Then, if you are thinking of eloping with him, i advise you to think about what he has sacrificed for you. though i'm an outsider, i can tell that he has done so much to restore the glory of your family and more importantly, give you his everything. dumping it all away could only mean his efforts and sacrifices then were all for nothing."

"why?!!!! does it mean I have to see him go off again and there's nothing I could do to make him stay?!!! it's not fair! he's my husband!... I didn't even have the chance to properly love him, neither did I have the chance to immerse in his love! no one can take him away from me!" Mirai hysterically turned back and locked herself in the chamber where Ryosuke was feigning to be asleep.

tumblr_mskkhqb0bF1qdnhp0o5_r1_250.gif

he was awakened by the voices outside and has heard every single word that was conveyed. he felt her presence beside him where his head has turned away to hide his fallen tears. at the same time, he felt hers on his fingers where she has placed her wet face. Her cries turned more bitter and heartbreaking that she buried her face on his chest with her head nested by the crook of his neck. He heard her soft murmurs of his name that shatters his heart further "why must everyone take you away from me... I don't want you to go..." she cried until she was dazing into space while refusing to leave his warmth. She was listless and eventually exhausted the torment, collapsing into his widespread arms, which unknown to her, has enclosed her within. he softly pat her silky soft hair that draped across her face. he carefully pushed her hair to the back of her ears and admired the revealing face which has most certainly lost whatever shine she has in the past days. While Ryosuke was engrossed in recollecting the little memories with her and caressing her face to fix his yearnings for her, he heard the door creak open and Hikaru presented himself before him.

"the unsung hero of Aoihoshi, it's my pleasure to be meeting you, Ryosuke Ryunosuke" Hikaru said with a polite bow for mannerism.

"it's my pleasure instead" Ryosuke responded weakly as he was still in the midst of recovering. both men took a glance at the exhausted lady and immediately consent that they should only keep their discussion volume down.

"you are wrong to have helped her find me. It's a grave mistake. how are you gonna revert things back to the way it is now?" Ryosuke said.

"it will be a bigger wrong if I did not help her. these 5 years, she never once left you out of her mind. I'm jealous how even though you are not there, even though you caused such emotional injury to her, you still occupy the only place in her heart. people say time can heal all heartbreaks, but I can safely tell you, it's not for her. that's how much you have impacted her. every night, the ladies-in-waiting could hear her cries and it is no doubt she dreamt again about the day you never said goodbye. needless to say, the both of you have never been kind to each other overtly, neither were the both of you behaving like a real couple. these regrets are impossible to remove, Ryosuke"

"then, would you suggest she forsake the glory of her family, forsake the life of royalty, and live with me in the area of the outcast with no proper roof above our heads, every day struggling to make ends meet? is that how you think she'll be happy?" Ryosuke remarked sarcastically but with an undertone of devastation and helplessness.

"Ryosuke, I know we don't know each other...and you don't trust people. i daringly post you a recommendation and I would hope you make an exception to trust me in this. for the sake of her happiness and yours, please hear me out...it will hurt but it's a means to a better end." Hikaru exclaimed. Ryosuke hesitated at first then nodded to be a listener of a plan that left him in a long deliberation.

*****
"R-Ryosuke!" Mirai jerked out of her sleep in an utter shock as she thought Ryosuke has left her. but what follows, surprised her. Ryosuke held her shoulders and softly told her "I'm still here." Her heart paused and the world cease to spin for a whole second as she immersed herself in his assuring words and the surreal distance between them. His eyes dazzled and left her breathless as he looked right into hers, and there was no denying her heart rebooted in that instance. she has never felt so alive. Mirai helped him to sit up on the soft bed and she was surprised he pulled her by her arms. She looked at him with a confused expression and heard him ask "where are you going?"

"I'll go get your food. you have been in comatose for over a night. you must be hungry.," she shyly uttered.

"I'm not hungry. come here..." he pulled her beside him. With a blush on her face, she crawled up onto the bed and propped herself beside him. there was a small gap in between their shoulders, but he took the initiative to bring her even closer with his arm wrapped around her petite shoulder. She gasped at the abrupt change of treatment, but quickly got worried as soon as she recalled what happened the last time he treated her well.

"you're gonna leave me again right? I'm telling you I won't let this happen again. I'm not gonna let you go..." she cried and buried her face between her knees tugged close to her chest.

"what's wrong with you... you don't want me to treat you well?" he chuckled while caressing her face to brush off the precious pearls that fell.

"no, it's just that everytime I receive your tender love, you'll leave in the most cruel way. I'm not gonna fall for it anymore!" she sadly exclaimed.

"I promise you this time it's different. would you listen to me?" Ryosuke sincerely told her with his unwavering glance into her eyes welled up with tears. Mirai nodded unwillingly. Tightening his grip of her shoulders with his hands, securing them with his heart, he analysed the situation in a bid to convince her a future with him is burdensome. 

"I believe you too know how difficult it is for us to be back together. what everyone has been telling you, it's true. and if you're thinking of forsaking the life of glamour I have protected for you, I won't feel happy. you are the only survivor of Shida manor, the legitimate wife of Prince Ryosuke Ryunosuke and undebatable Queen of Aoihoshi. don't give that all up because of Ai.  there's no more Ryosuke Rynosuke, there's only me now, Ai who is a nobody except someone in the lowest caste. I don't mind this life at all, cause at least everyone around me lives with integrity, modesty and moreover, I am used to being alone."

"isn't there a moment that you miss me?!! hope I'm by your side?!!" 

"a moment? it's EVERY MOMENT!!! being alone is one thing, dying to have you by my side, missing your breathe, your touch, your mere presence, were everyday affairs for me. i always thought the one who makes my heart beat madly is the 13 year old Shida Mirai, but in these 5 years, I realised that it was also the 23 year old you that infiltrated my mind. do you think it has only affected you?!that many years, your eyes only had Kamiki, never the fat boy, what i earned was only your hatred.time and time again, I thought of giving up, but everytime I failed cause your smiles will repeatedly flash in my mind. I have endured this longing for you for 15 years!"

"Ryosuke... I'm sorry... I'll do anything to make up for it, just don't leave me..." she wrapped her arms around his waist and crashed her head in his chest and sobbed.

"we can be together..." he said and that shocked Mirai. She looked up at him with her tears still streaming.

"but everyone said it's impossible..." she uttered in disbelief.

"would you promise you'll do everything I say?" he sincerely gazed into her eyes.

"yes, as long as we can be together..."

Ryosuke smiled subtly then embraced her tightly with his warmth circling around her shaken body.his hand rubbed against her back and comforted her saddened soul. He tightened his jaw and his grip of her, and unbearably shut his eyes in frustration. whispering by her ears, he said "marry Hikaru."

Mirai immediately pushed him away and searched desperately for his eyes for answers, but he avoided.

"No way... NO!!! how can you say that!you know I won't be able to do that!!" she pounded on his chest and cried. "why are you so cruel..."

Ryosuke buried his head on hers and left a kiss on the top, with her hair dapped with his tears. "this is the only way there will be hope. please give me your trust."

"w-what is the plan? how does that get us together?!!"

"it'll be easier if you don't know, but believe me, we will reunite again..."

she still shook her head desperately to protest against the vague plans. but it only seemed like Ryosuke's mind is set. she held her face and said with a gentle voice that hides his own sorrows "regardless if this was when we were children, or if it was 5 years ago when we met again after a long time, I've never done anything that betrays you or jeopardize your life. everything I do is for your best interest. so I hope you trust me this one time...of course, the plan will include many daunting perseverance to manage our yearnings, many emotional struggles, occasional depression and many more heartbreaks, but if we triumph it, then a strong, unbreakable love will bloom by our next meet. but if in the process of separation, any of us decides to move on without the other, then the plan would have offered the second chance of self-renewal. the extended space between us, is an opportunity for us to rethink what's best, for us to open doors to other possibilities..."

"you are my only ..."

"don't say that. I know you well. you are someone who depends alot on the people around, you're someone who needs to be loved and cared for. there may be another Kamiki or me out there to fill up that gap in your heart left behind by your family, friends and treasured ones...I may not be the privileged one after all. don't shut yourself from these choices."

"then what about you? someone else like Ayame can fill up the gap in you?"

he chuckled in sarcasm. "what do you think? she's a nice girl after all"

"Ryosuke~" Mirai was on the brink of tears again when she remembered the ring on Ayame's finger and the words she spoke that possibly excluded her in the happily ever after picture already.

" my heart is broken and unlike you, there's only one person who could make me feel alive...it's not Ayame, it's you Shida Mirai." Ryosuke brushed the tears that ran loose on her face and swept her fringe that covered her forehead and shed a shadow above her eyes. he looked into her eyes then she understood what he was thinking. she let her eyes close at ease, never more at ease in fact, then he leaned forward till a point there's no gap between them and the 2 worlds connected as one via the reddened lips which were sealed by the forlorn lovers. though it has been very long since they kissed, very rare they shared an intimate moment like this typical of couples, they didn't fall short of the telepathy and mutual understanding between them. the arms which serenaded and rubbed against each other's back were comforting and at the same time, and the point of physical connection - the lips of the starcross lovers were set ablaze with infinite passion and revealed the suppressed yearnings, regrets, apologies and gratefulness to each other! the coordinated movement of their heads, gave them an uninterrupted path for the breathes they took away that kept them gasping for more like an addict. when they say kisses are like drugs, it's true. once in a while, she'll opened her eyes and he'll open his, and as the passionate moment continued, they'll look into each other for the conveyance of the unspoken words of inseparable love that bonds them as one.

there were 2 peeking from outside the room burning with passion. Hikaru clutched the wrists of Ayame as soon as she turned her back away and was on the brink of running away in tears. he told her with firmness in his tone "You've done a good show to protect the love birds. lets just leave them to fix things the way it should have been."

"should we even be leaving them like this? it'll be hurtful"

"it'll be more hurtful if we pull them apart. the only thing we can do now to help them, is to do our part of the show well."

"Hikaru-sama... can you bear to do this? You really love Mirai-sama, isn't it?"

"yes, I love her to wits end and that's all I could give for the one I love..." Hikaru gazed through the little gap between the door to the chamber and smiled subtly.

*****

Half a decade past like the winds. Aoihoshi went through such enormous transformation that there were many older folks who couldn't recall how Aoihoshi was like just yesterday. the land which was once entrapped in a vicious cycle of corruption and who gave life to legends and heroes, has since ceased to exist. but it wasn't a fall worth regretting, yet a cause for celebration as a new, stronger nation was born. people called it the land of the rising star, and every household knew such mouthful phrase was to commemorate the beautiful love story of the Prince of Aoihoshi, Prince Ryosuke Ryunosuke who gave his life to give his loved one a blissful life without asking for any reciprocation or anything in return. the new development to the story sent shocks to the whole world as the one he loved has joined him on the other side, after grieving for as long as she could recall. 

Pacing towards the erected stone wall of 2, a tall man with a majestic air held the hands of a lady with long silky hair and his smile never departed. His footsteps lasted until he was in front of the 2 stone walls, beautifully engraved with the names of its owners. His lady gave his hand a light squeeze and looked at him worriedly.

"they're finally together" he heaved a sigh of relief as they both focused on the first stone.

RIP
Ryosuke Ryunosuke
Prince of Aoihoshi

Then shifted to the one beside, he felt the tightening of his heart.

"but do you think she's happy now?" she asked.

"as long she's with him, she'll be happy," he replied the lady confidently.

"Then what about you? do you regret?" she asked.

A drop of tear rolled in his eyes but he didn't let it escape. gazing into the other stone wall, he said to her "Haruna, i never regret about my life. especially when you are the best thing that has ever happened to me. arigatou for staying by my side and tolerated all the sorrows I inflicted on you"

"My lord, I love you and I will always be here when you need me" she wrapped her arm around his waist. they stared at the newly engraved words on the other stone that seats peacefully beside Ryosuke's...

RIP
Shida Mirai
Queen of Aoihoshi
Wife of King Hikaru

it marks the official end of a tragic love story that never had a happily ever after in the hearts of the former inhabitants of Aoihoshi and the land of the new, bigger land merged between Hikaru's Kingdom and Aoihoshi with an arranged marriage bearing a secret that bound to a few of their lives forever.

***


"ojisan~ let me help you with that!" a man draped in long pants and tattered black singlet which revealed his strong arms smudged with dirt bent down and carried a heavy load. Sweat trickled down his forehead as he walked down the street filled with other coolies. his face is stained with dirt as well but he still shimmers like the stars in the night sky, the jewel in the eyes of many ladies, young and old. but his heart is occupied by a lady who he has waited his whole life and has never once given up hope to see her again.

"young lad, thank you..." he unloaded the box in a shack filled with sacks of rice when the old coolie thanked him profusely.

"you're welcome, ojisan. let me know when you need help again. sensei said your back is not good, so don't carry heavy things anymore. we're always here to help"

"you're kind...good luck will befall on you soon, young man."

"I hope so..." he smiled. While walking back to his own little hut, he clutched his tightening chest and slowed his steps to ease the increasing burden on his throbbing heart. When he finally returned to his home, he collapsed onto his wooden chair and leaned his forehead on the table while trying to catch his breathe. His detoriated health has taken a toll on his body, and his detoriation is only brought on by his helpless yearnings coupled with increasing insomnia. He had no choice but to accede to the physician's prescribed sleeping pills to take his mind off all the nightmares and worries that crumpled his hopes and dreams for his bleak future. He has given his companion her freedom and has since led an independent life with the entire freedom under his footsteps. He is only enslavened by his asthmatic condition that has relapsed more frequently despite his masculine image.

Everytime he shuts his eyes, his mind will replay the last night he spent with his beloved...as though it was just yesterday.

The couple sat by the window of the chamber where their hands can reach for the stars. Time seemed to have frozen at a standstill as they spent the last moments of the night before the sunrises and everything is due to dissipitate, even traces of each other's existence in the other's life has to be wiped off cleanly. The thought of the impending separation and the uncertain fate tortured their already battered souls, but they tried not to cry in each other's presence so that the precious time would not be wasted. Regardless how difficult, the two tried only to force a smile on their faces. With their fingers entwined with each other's, and their heads leaning against each other's, they shared the deepest of conversations since their childhood days while gazing into the peaceful starry sky which seemed oblivious to their sufferings, yet useful to provide the slightest consolation.

 "Ryosuke..."

"ne?"

"you didn't go for some plastic surgery on your face since you left school right?"

"what do you think?" he looked at her with a cheeky expression.

"well, it still feels unbelievable that the nerdy, fat Ai will morph into someone who steals the heart of every girl. Nobody will imagine a heart throb like you have an unhealthy past"

"hmm.. this metamorphosis wasn't easy. It's not deliberate but it just turned out the tough training translated my fats into muscles, and one day, I just realise every girl was falling for me... Perhaps my good looks was in my blood all along"

"ah, that's irritating, Ryosuke..." she expressed in a irritable tone which he responded with a chuckle.

"Kami-sama is kind ne. If not, how can I win Kamiki in pulling you back and making you regret not coming to me?" he laughed and she pouted like a kid and said, "stop making me feel bad..."

"okay okay, I'm kidding ne...come here..." he pulled her closer into his embrace and ran his hand down her soft hair. "Mirai, can I tell you a secret..."

She looked at him in anticipation.

"I always habour intentions about your hair. Can I braid it?"

"Ryosuke?" Tears welled in her eyes as she never expected him to be so tender-loving and gentlemanly and when she acceded to his request, she realised how skillful his fingers and how gentle he was as he dealt with every strain.

In a matter of few minutes, her hair was almost nicely braided as though it was professionally done "you looked like you trained secretly for it... do you have a weird habit of trying on ladies-in-waitings' hairs?" 

"no... I'm not that sick. But when we were younger, I have observed how you did your hair."

"say, Ryosuke, it's not fair. your turn..."

"you're not gonna braid me too, right?" he questioned when she pulled her head nearer. Without replying, she shyly tangled her fingers within his hair and then unbearably hug his head and sniffed the lavender scent from within. "I'm gonna remember this scent of yours"

Ryosuke pulled away slightly then looked into her eyes quietly. It lasted a moment until one of them broke the silence in the most breathtaking way. It was Mirai this time. She held his shoulders firmly, which did take Ryosuke by surprise. She leaned forward and traced her fingers on his facial features, from his eyes, his nose to his lips.

"Mirai?"

"Ryosuke... I am sorry I never properly observed you as much as you did for me...I must remember every part of you... your scars, your looks, everything..." she said with a saddened look on her face. He acknowledged and closed his eyes to let her take possession of his every cell. Her fingers moved down to his neck then to his torso, then slipped her hand nervously beneath his minimal cloth that separated his warm skin and her frozen fingers. She hesitated to proceed further, but he assured her everything was okay when he clutched her hand and guided her to remove his top. She traced her fingers down his newly added scars, bruises and felt her heart clenched. He noticed she took a deep breathe as if trying to calm her nervous heart. A subtle smile emerged from his face and he took the initiative to lead her to the bed where they could safely enjoy their private time without the stars peeking.

Perhaps it boasted her confidence with his guidance, she caressed the edge of his face and the crook of his neck then traced down his spine passionately which stimulated him as well. He held her face with one hand then skillfully stripped her to her bare skin. He pushed her on the bed and pressed her down beneath him while looking right into her eyes. He heard her trembling heart but a light kiss on her lips took her breathe away to a point her heart started calming. He looked at her once more as if seeking permission, and she returned a subtle nod. His delicate fingers traced down her most precious areas, leaving her , but she knew he was absolutely cautious with his every coordinated move taken on her. She held her breathe throughout and endured every penetration into her, while supporting his weight. Their breathes quickened but their hearts beat as one. Sweat of passion exchanged between their exposed skins as their body locked together and burn with ual desire.  

Facing each other while lying with interlocking arms, they rested in exhaustion, but their eyes never rested. They looked at each other without blinking as every blink will only bring them one second closer to departure. He pried away her hair which covered her tired face and asked with a soft voice "if you're tired, you can just sleep. I'm gonna be here"

"I'm fine. I can sleep all I want later, but not now. I don't want to wake up to see you gone from me."

He smiled bitterly "silly. didn't I promise we'll meet again." He left an imprint on her forehead in solemn. "I wonder if you will ever regret me staining your purity...Mirai, were you fearful just now?"

"I was scared not because it was you, in fact but you made the painful process less daunting. Thank you for taking care of all details. You are always there for me..."

"it's gonna hurt after this... and I won't be there to care for you. Will you be alright?"

"I won't be alright.. The pain from tonight is incomparable to having you out of sight... but I have your most treasured guard I could count on, isn't it."

"ah... yuto... I won't be able to say goodbye to him, so please help me take care of him too, ne."

"I will." 

"for some reason, I'm very jealous of Yuto... I do wanna be him, so that I can keep you by my side every moment of my life."

Mirai chuckled slightly at his jealously and he did so too.

Before they know it, the tip of the rising sun shone onto their bare feets tangled together beneath the blanket that covered both of them. He looked out of the window from where he was and his expression drowned in depression. He mustered his courage and spoke without breaking "I think it's time, Mirai..." but she refused to let go.

"Be obedient, Mirai." he gently pry opened her tightened grip with his hardened heart. She rubbed her eyes and hid her tears as they have promised, but he caught her hands and kissed her eyelid to stop her cries.

"do you want to serve your honour husband for, unfortunately, the first time, before you become someone else's?" he offered.

Her heart cringed when she nodded and with her shakened limbs, she dressed herself then proceeded to his side of the bed. She took the prepared wet cloth and wiped every corner of his face, neck and concealed areas. She was unfamiliar with the routine, and regretted not having to familiarise on how wives serve their husbands. "Sorry, I don't know what I need to do. I'm such a failure. It's my first time serving you, yet I cant do this properly. I feel so ashamed."

"it's okay. You did well, Mirai... Next, you tug me into my clothes..."

She nodded and took the prepared cloak which shimmered with glamour, but he stopped her.

"not this, Mirai.." instead, he pointed at the shabby set of clothes he had worn, which was cleaned over the night. She choked on her tears at her act of banishing him back to his hard life, but he gave her an affirmative nod as though telling her he is alright with the arrangement. She painfully held onto her stricken heart and pulled the shabby clothes over him.

"and you are done..." he said with a smile

"no no, I'm not..." she broke down in tears as she foresee the end of the chapter. He sighed and pulled her against his chest and embrace her wholeheartedly.

"serve your new husband well...I think I have prepared you as much as I could, but if I had more time, I could guide you more. I think you needn't worry much, you always have the charm to harness forgiveness from others, moreover, Hikaru loves you dearly. Not to forget, you have my dependable Yuto..."

She hugged him even stronger.

"Mirai, be strong" he said then forcefully pry open her grip to free himself. He grabbed the mask and was about to cover his face when she stopped him one last time. "wait..."

she tip-toed then sealed the last kiss on his lips then said "promise me, don't let anyone else own you... everything on you is mine, okay?" she said with a cracking tone.

"... I promise..." he said, then she hardened her heart and helped him put on the mask. 

All she saw next was his disappearing back view. He stole a last glance of her without her noticing and that instance she kneeled on the ground crying left a vivid impression in his heart and became the sore of his life.

He was awakened yet again in a startle and cold sweat. All such made his health more difficult, and he could only take in supplements to keep himself strong so that he could keep his promise alive. But every day, it seemed more bleak, and it is almost as though his life would end. He could still recall overhearing the other coolies saying "it's a pity for the young lad. I heard people with disorders will die early, let alone his was the deficiency of the lung"

He thought to himself, "what if.... what if I never get to see the day my plan fulfil..." he looked beyond the horizon and let out a sigh. But there was a much sadder wailing at the far end of the messy street filled with coolies, and he was surprised it was from a young boy.

"GET OUT OF HERE YOU PESKY KID!" a huge man engulfed the boy like a giant and an ant. The barbaric coolie raised his fist and was about to land on the boy when he dashed forward and carried him into his arms and shielded him within. The boy's cries broke his heart; he gathered his thoughts and sternly warned the perpetrator with his intimidating stare once habitual during his fearless times. He needn't speak a word to get the barbaric man backing off, and the onlookers were mesmerised by his suave acts.

"shhhh...why are you here, boy? this place is not for you..it's dangerous." he put down the little boy who he thought was about 2 years old, and bent down to his level to comfort him.

"ojisan... I'm looking for my mother..."

"your mother?"

"I lost her..."

He examined the boy's clothes and knew instantly he was from a higher caste. Hence, he was surprised to hear that someone like them would walk into the coolies vicinity, knowing that it would endanger their lives with barbarians lurking at every corner and the harsh conditions of the area.

"I'll bring you to find your mother, and you two get out immediately. You understand...?" he told the boy sternly.

"hai..." the boy acceded obediently. However, to his shock, the boy slipped his small hand into his and clutched tightly as though he feared that he would lose another protector. Ryosuke didn't want to hold his hand at first because he didn't want to cause any unnecessary troubles to himself when he bring the boy back to his mother. Many times, his kindness wasn't repaid as people of the higher caste ridiculed him and blamed him for dirtying them with his filthy body. He didn't want any bodily contact with the boy but yet he found himself unable to push him away. He looked at the innocent young eyes and felt a familiar sensation in his heart. It was as if he knew this boy, or someone who he resembled, but he shrugged away the thoughts.

"ojisan..." the boy called him back to his senses.

"ah... gomenasai, I thought of someone...anyway, just follow me will do, you don't need to hold my hands. I will make sure I don't lose you. You need to be independent like a true man so that you can protect your mother just as your father, ne" Ryosuke spoke softly while bending to his level again.

"... I haven't seen my father before, ojisan... but mother said, he is always here for us... I don't understand ojisan... I want to meet my father, but mother always cries when I asked."

Ryosuke felt sad for the boy and didn't know how else to comfort him. It felt as though his father was dead.

"then you have to do what your father would. Protect your mother...she'll be happy if you could be strong..."

The boy nodded enthusiastically, " yes, ojisan" and he let go of Ryosuke's hand. Ryosuke couldn't explain why he felt a stinging pain in his heart when the boy let go, especially when he himself asked for it. The fondness for the boy grew so fast that he couldn't understand why. He saw the dirt on the boy's hand because of him, and felt sorry. He took out his hand towel then took the boy's hand and tried cleaning it.

"it's okay, ojisan..." the boy smiled brightly to him. He felt heartened for such un-prejudice mindset to still exist in the cruel caste system and he could credit the mighty kingdom which he has only minimally played a role in to groom such beautiful young minds. He thought the future would be so much brighter under the leadership of Hikaru. He never regret his decision to pass the responsibility to Hikaru even if there's a chance Hikaru has won the heart of the one person he loved.

"Let's go..." he let the boy within his sight and brought him down the daunting street.

"what's your name, boy?"

"Ainosuke."

"I see... your mother gave you a really beautiful name...it fits you well..."

"thank you... ojisan... ah OJISAN!" Ryosuke was shocked as the boy wasn't calling for him. The next instance he ran forward into the wide spread arm of someone he never thought he would see again. A familiar face that left him in utter shock, and his presence would only signify the presence of someone else.

"Yuto?" he spoke to himself softly, then shifted his gaze to a demure, well-dressed lady at his side. He felt his heart cringe as his thoughts ran wild about Ainosuke being the offspring of HIkaru and his beloved, and he thought of running away from their sight. He was unfit of the glamour that shone around them; he was likened to a piece of dung just like those around him.

"okasan... that ojisan protected me, just like how you said otousan will..." the boy pointed at Ryosuke who faced his back at them. Ainosuke ran towards him and held his hand again, but this time, he heartlessly pushed him away.

"HEY!" Yuto ran forward and wanted to bash Ryosuke for his barbaric act towards the harmless boy but the instance he was about to punch him, he realised it was uncalled for. Tears streamed down the taller man immediately while he held onto Ryosuke's arm tightly. Ainosuke's mother was unsure what has happened so she hesitantly paced forward until she was by the side of him.

She covered and muffled her bursting cries, and there's only one word that was barely audible.... " R-Ryosuke...."  

 

There was a short moment when their eyes met, but he has reached a verdict that she was here not to claim their love, but rather to show that she has moved on. With rolling tears, he coldly shook them away and took many steps away from them.

"RYOSUKE! I'VE COME TO YOU, AND SO HAS YOUR SON..." the voice he yearned so much made him speechless the instance she spoke her mind. He turned around and looked at her and the boy who he clicked instantly, and realised the reasons why. "Mirai..."

"Ryosuke, your plan worked. it's finally our happily ever after!" Mirai said while she threw her arms around him. She didn't mind his dirt, but he mind until he could be certain of her decision. He pushed her away, much gentler than before. He stole a peek at Ainosuke then locked his gaze at her.

"Is this all true?"

"Yes, Ainosuke was a god-gift to us that night,  he was the fruit of our love~"

Both their eyes were so wet, it clouded their view But Ryosuke's preception remains clear. 

"Then you should leave me,   Mirai.  I can't provide you two with anything.  I can't protect you and our kid. You do know what hardships mean right. .. that's gonna be your life from now;I'll burden you with my damn position in the caste system which you two will be equally despised by the people.and my health will add to your distress."

"I don't care about how poor you are, how weak you are, i just know my husband is here and my kid wants his father back! Who says i need you to protect us, i am strong enough to protect you and our kid. You have protected me your whole life so it's my turn."

"You are saying it so simply because you don't know how things are here."

"I'm not scared, Ainosuke is not too!   So what are you afraid of?! I gave up the life of glamour and is not regretting cause it's all for you!  You're not gonna back out on your promise unless you don't love me anymore and you're heartless to dump our kid! "

Ryosuke looked at the boy who looked so tearfully at him. It was a unbearable scene.

"I never stopped loving you Mirai.."

"Then trust me like i trusted your plans. We waited for this day and we finally are together.  We can persevere as long as we are together. "

Yuto broke his silence and said the most assuring words that gave Ryosuke's unlimited strength just as his trusty shinobi always manages to give him "i have given my life to my one and only master. .. i know i have broken my promise to you so i punish myself by returning my freedom to you."

Ryosuke exchanged glances with his reunited family And they finally revealed endearing smiles on their faces. It was finally their happily ever after!