Chapter 1

Betrayal of the rising star

I was dressed in a beautiful gown coloured so brightly it resembled the fragrant flowers thrown into my bath tub moments ago. With the floral smell lingering around my supple, refreshed skin, I let my eyes close and the tranquility take over my senses. I smiled and thought how complete it would be if the love of my life hold me in his arms and bosomed me from behind, with his firm arms wrapped around my sensitive spots and leave trails of sweet touches down my neckline. It wasn't just a fragment of my imagination, as I felt his warmth and minty fresh breathe rained over me like falling stars from the sky.

"You're really beautiful, my dear..." he whispered in my ears in a seductive tone that made me crave for more. I released myself from his arms than turned around to face him. I was captivated by how dashing he looked with the ceremonial suit and at the instance, I felt like I was the most fortunate woman in the whole world. My life was nearly complete, and the moment he took my breathe away with his thinly shaped lips, I was sure I would have no regrets.

I touched my lips, keen on feeling the spot he bite, but I was in utter disappointment when I realised it was unoccupied and the mark he left has sealed without traces. I looked down at myself and noticed I was doned in a purple gown from my own collection that was in no way matchable to the gown placed in the corner of the chamber which was once worn on my skin. I peered in from the outside of the chamber which I used to have ready access and reached out to it with my stretched arms, but it was beyond my reach. Warm tears trickled down my eyes while I uttered painfully under my breathe "it was supposed to be mine" It wasn't the gown that made me feel the pinch, it was how perfect it would have looked if I wore it beside him dressed in that piece of ceremonial suit.

Rather than regrets, I was more in confusion. How could all these goodness be taken away from me... I cried silently as I withdrew myself, but no matter how hard I tried to stay invisible, someone still caught me sobbings. and of all people, it must be him... The soft gaze he used to tease me with was no longer evident, instead he looked at me with slight frustration in his eyes. He grip on my wrist was never the same as before, it was assertive and demanding. i was pulled across the corridor and then threw into his chamber with the heavy door closed behind us.

"How could you come here when you know your father is under investigation?! People will gossip!" he raised his voice with my face just an inch away. He pressed me against the wall with nowhere for me to retreat.

"gossip what? that the Shida Manor may be in cahoots with you in the assasination of your father?" I felt my heart tightened and my tone turned vengeful when I thought about the events that stirred in the last week.

"Mirai~ You know this is not what I mean..."

"Yes I don't know what it means... You know, my father is loyal to the King and would do nothing of this sorts. Yet you sent the council to investigate him."

"I did not. They are an independent council."

"They act on your orders, Kamiki"

"Believe it or not, they found evidence that links the assasination to your father. I cannot suppress truth searching and I cannot let it go just because you're my fiancee." He let go off his grip and turned his back against me with utmost intolerance. As I was left disheveled, I found myself in the big mirror at the sides and saw myself frail and pathetic. I only made myself look even more pathetic when I threw myself over Kamiki, enveloping him within my short arms from his back. I let my head rest against his shoulder blades and felt my fallen tears damping his shirt. 

"Sorry Mirai, we have to put on hold the marriage," he said with a soft tone.

"I figured when your maidens came and retrieved back the gown..." I said with a cracking tone. 

He released himself from my tight grip and cupped my face and said with full sincerity..."My heart is only for you, and you alone. So promise me you don't give up on me"

"Can I?" I looked at him with my wet eyes. He brushed away the rolling tears with his fingers.

"of course you can... I give you the permission to continue loving me... Mirai, all I have ever done is for our future. If I marry you now, the speculations will not stop and it will only hurt you. It's better we give your family a proper hearing and prove innocent, then I can better protect you and your family.

I accepted his words without much hesitation. He is the only one I trust and love my entire life. He is the only one who makes me feel like I am in cloud 9 all the time. I know he will keep to his words and watch over me and my family. but still, I had to be sure...

"what is with the rumours about the Okamoto family's youngest daughter, Azusa?" I gave him a questioning gaze.

"You don't have to worry about this. It's just a temporary strategy to calm the court. you just have to trust me," he didn't seem to be tolerant towards anymore questions, and I realised I would only fuel his temper and end off with a tiff if I continued probing his alread exhausted mind. I propped myself nearer and was looking forward to give him his favourite massage on his stiff shoulders, he spoke again with assertion.

"it's too risky for you to be here at this time. I will get Yosuke to send you back..." he didn't wait for my response, and he didn't give me a second look, then the next second, he summoned Yosuke, the head of the investigation council. I couldn't old back my disappointment so I called out his name softly "Kamiki..."

As Yosuke led me out of his chamber, every step I took, I hope he calls me back...It is only when I was one step away from the door that he called out to me... I turn back and saw his loving gaze "take care... and remember your promise, and I will remember mine..."

I nodded with confidence that I could hold on till the end, and I am sure I will see the day I walk down the aisle with my hands in his and take the oath of a wedded couple and live happily ever after. Even if the whole world says happily every after is bull, I say otherwise, Kamiki is my happily ever after.

*****

"Your highness, I have safely sent Lady Mirai back to Shida Manor..." Yosuke returned without a slightest hint of tiredness when he faced Kamiki

"Good. How is the situation at the manor?"

"It didn't seem good, but neither did it seem peaceful. I could see the panic written all over their faces, and they appeared defensive when they saw me. do you think General Shida knows the truth behind his arrest?"

"General Shida is a wise man, it will be weird if he hasn't realise. He might have even expected it coming since the time my father passed away. He probably figured out that they do not stand a chance. he has only Yuya to blame... if he hasn't got those damned evidence, I wouldn't have to drag Mirai's family into this."

"what are you going to do with Lady Mirai? You didn't tell her, did you?"

"Of course I didn't. For now, leave her out of the investigation...I want her safe. Besides, she will be useful at crucial times."

"then what should we do with Yuya?"

"he's gonna be my stumbling block for as long as I am not crowned. Call me a tyrant who cares nothing about the people, but he's no better... he wants power for himself, and how is that different from me...he creates all sorts of atrocities out there then tries to buy the hearts of people with money and bribes the officials to keep quiet about his crimes. he is the real tyrant I say"

Yosuke nodded profusely then paused with a change of mood "but your highness, there's something else I need to report to you... the sightings of the vigilantes I told you the other time, who have been interferring with our operations to clean up the protesters..."

"yes?" Kamiki raised his brows and asked eagerly when Yosuke hesitated...

"there seemed to be even more of them these days. we initially predicted that there might be just 2 or 3 of these gangs but with the recent spat of counterstrikes we encountered, it seemed that there're might be more than 8 gangs....and..."

"and what?" Kamiki's voice revealed tension and urgency that Yosuke knew the situation is not good. but frankly, Yosuke already calculated the gravity of the situation.

"they seemed to be under a leader who may be what we should be afraid of"

"have you tried to find out the identity of this leader? what business does he have to interfer with us?"

"if the person is not your enemy, he might be eyeing the throne for himself"

Kamiki smirked..."who does he think he is...a barbarian stands no match against me... but... I do have some use of him..."

"huh?"

"he seemed capable enough to cause us to fumble, and his men are skilled enough... Yosuke, I am thinking, what if I strike an alliance with his group...."

"...that might be a strategic move and should be able to give us a big push to success since he has earned the support of the people...winning him on your side can further cripple the little support Yuya bought from the people....but I don't think it will be easy to convince this leader. He has been very sneaky and tactful thus far."

"No one can escape my grasp. if he is looking at power and riches, there's nothing I cannot offer to him. and who in this world doesn't want these 2 things...." Kamiki gave off a sinister laugh, juztaposed against the uneasiness in the east of the Kingdom where the Shida Manor stands.

****

"goshuujin-sama, please do not hurt lady Mirai...she just misses him too much" the maiden sheltered Mirai with her body as the canes fell from upon the 2 young ladies. the maiden bear the subsequent pain but she couldn't feel her own as her mind is fully concentrated on the caned marks on the pale skin of her lady. There were no tears in her lady but her heart is crying, she could hear it.

"Shida Mirai, you listen to me... Kamiki Ryunosuke isn't who you know long time ago. He is investigating our family for something that is clearly not our doing; he put down our pride and shoved away the hardwork we have given to secure the royal bloodline for generations.

"but if we are innocent, then there's nothing to be afraid of, okasan!"

"then are you saying he is right to investigate us?!"

"I'm saying he is just doing his job. it's not fair to judge him like this!"

"you are really stubborn! and blinded by love!"

"I am not blind, I know him better than any of you!!!"

"Well, I'm sure this line is doubtful since you have clearly a tendency to misjudge people, just like the fat boy from your school who got banished for some grave reason!"

"Stop bringing that up! it was an exception... but for Kamiki, I knew him my whole life..."

"so, you are saying if he convicts your father, you will choose to accept it and stand by his decision, while seeing our whole Shida Manor and our ancestors slain by treason?!

"no this wouldn't happen. Father hasn't done anything against law, so he won't be able to convict him, so your hypothesis wouldn't happen!"

"what if it does...! Mirai, I AM ASKING YOU WHAT WILL YOU DO?!"

"OKASAN, YOU ARE UNREASONABLE!"

"enough!" the strong voice of a man silenced the women's bickerring and sent chills down their spine. For a moment, no one dared make a noise, then Mirai broke the silence.

"otousama..." when she turned to look at him, she realised he looked frailer than a few days ago, and it was nothing like his voice sounded. She could only infer that the interrogations were tough for him physically, but fortunately, it did not seem like he was tortured.

"dear... we cannot let our daughter too close to him... no one knows what will happen, now that someone has maligned us," his honour wife held his arms and stood by his side.

The stronger man walked towards the slouching girl and lifted her head, "I just want to ask you one thing"

"yes, otousama..." she looked up at him with remorse for all the strong words she used earlier.

"he has called off your wedding and the fate of our family is uncertain...even so, has your heart changed for him? will you ever regret giving your love to him?"

"otousama, my love for him will not change... I love him and it will never waver" Mirai answered with utmost certainty in her tone.

"regardless of what happens?" he asked

"regardless what happens" she answered confidently.

"then my dear daughter, you have my word. I give you my blessings and whatever decision I make will be for your happily ever after with him."

"dear..." his honour wife protested the resolution, but was simply dismissed. The man dragged his feet across the main hall through the door and back into the chambers, with his wife trailing helplessly after. Mirai watched as her parents disappeared from her sight, and the lonely backview of her father jogged up her guilt and sorrows.

She returned to her room solemnly with her maiden behind. The latter didn't dare break the silence as she knew her lady was in deep thoughts, and she was glad her lady was first to speak.

"Ayame..." she sat on her bed and looked up into her maiden's eyes with unspoken sadness.

"yes, Mirai-sama?"

 "do you think I should have obeyed my mother and stay away from Kamiki?"

Ayame was afraid of this question cause she did not know what the answer should be. As a maiden of the family, sworn to serve the Shida Manor, she has the duty to support the decision of her goshuujin, but her love for her young lady also made it difficult to not take her heart into considerations.

"it's okay... I know you won't dare give an answer..."

"Mirai-sama... I could tell goshuujin-sama both love you alot."

"I know, Ayame...I love them too, and I know they are hurting because of my love for Kamiki, but I love him and I can't help it. I can only hope that Kamiki clears my father's name soon"

"Yes, I hope so too Mirai-sama... I am sure your highness will watch over Shida Manor," Ayame tries hard to show a smile on her face, and she was glad to see her lady smiling back.

"Mirai-sama.... I've got a question though...can I have your permission to ask?" she lowered her head and asked shyly.

"who is the fat boy from school, goshuujin-sama was saying just now..."

Ayame saw her lady's expression turned more perplexed, it was like sadness, regrets and anger rolled into one.

"the fat boy...he used to be a good friend of mine... a very good friend...I knew him the same time as Kamiki. While Kamiki is perfect like the jewel who captivates the hearts of all girls, this friend, he is very introverted with a serious inferior-complex and often falls sick. Although he doesn't look attractive, he is a very warm-hearted person. He is always there to cheer me up when I am down, and I never felt a need to put on a fake mask when I am with him. People may laugh at how i am befriending someone like him, but I really didn't mind. Once in a while, he will be affected by the constant stares when he's with me, then distances himself from everyone including me. But I always convince him it was okay and then our friendship lasted for 3 years, then something terrible happened"

By now, Ayame's eyes widdened. She was engrossed with the story as she saw herself in shoes of the fat boy. Ayame looked at herself, unattractive, fat and introverted, she couldn't help but think she was the female version of the boy her lady described. Then it emphasised how her lady is such a kind-hearted girl who does not ostracise people like her or him. This triggered her curiosity to know what happened to the fat boy...

"I told him I liked Kamiki, and I told him to keep it a secret... there was only him who knows...then it was the following day, I saw fliers distributed across campus that describes how shameless I was to like the first prince....I believed in him, yet he betrayed me so heartlessly."

"but it may not be him, isn't it?" Ayame felt unusually protective of the boy she never met.

"Well, I wanted to think it wasn't him. But I found the stack of undelivered fliers stuffed in his bag and those crayons used to spread those disgusting rumours about me. I hate him so much so that I don't want to see him, nor hear his voice. Turned out, alot of my friends sent a petition for him to be punished by terminating his candidature."

"he got expelled by the school?" 

"yes...but somehow, the last I heard is that he got banished by Aoihoshi..."

"HEH?!"

"that's exactly my reaction too. When I asked my father, he speculated that he might have done something grave enough to get him banished from his homeland. It could have been treason, or murder? I tried asking Kamiki, but he didn't want to say. but it definitely was something unforgivable..."

"will you forgive him, Mirai-sama?" Ayame asked with unwavering gaze. Mirai was taken aback by Ayame's interest in her answer and it sounded as though she was hoping she forgave him.

"what's wrong, Ayame?"

"...nothing... I was felt like he was too similar to me...and so I kinda sympathise with his fate."

"...Ayame, dear..." Mirai pulled Ayame beside her and wrapped her arms around her maiden's shoulder. "You are nothing like him...you are kind-hearted and the sweetest girl I've known...don't compare yourself with a jerk like him."

Ayame felt touched beyond words, her heart melted the instance she heard Mirai's comforting replies. "Mirai-sama..." her voice cracked as she called her lady, but her lady's beautiful smile was enough for her to know her gratitude was received.

"Mirai-sama, you will definitely get your happily ever after with your highness..."

"Thank you, Ayame... and goodnight."

*****

The moonlight flickers that night as if it could sense the rising storm. The windows rattle as the rain pours across the land, silencing the approaching footsteps that marched towards the Shida Manor. The clanging of the weaponry were disguised by the thunderous roars from the storm. No one was saw the danger closing in...until it was all too late.

Awakened at the last minute by the hysteric cries of her mother and the suppressed tone of her father, Mirai woke up in a state of shock.

"okasan, otousan? what's wrong? what's the noise out there?! okasan, why are you crying?"

"Mirai, listen carefully to what I have to say...Bring Ayame and head southwest until you reach a village at about 100 miles from here...Keep this with you at all times and only show it when you reach the village..." her father instructed her urgently and placed a engraved ring in her palm. Upon closer look, she saw 2 letters on the ring, but couldn't see the link to any acroynms she ever knew.

"I don't understand, otousan! what's this ring about?  who gave it to you? and why must I leave?! what about the 2 of you!!!"

"We cannot leave, Mirai...we have to be here to uphold the pride and save the grace of our family name and protect all that our ancestors have worked for."

"what is happening?! please tell me....!" Mirai cried while Ayame painfully pulled her away as time runs out.

"The ring can keep you alive! Keep this with you!!!! you are the only hope for the Shida clan.... live with dignity, live with pride, cause we are a Shida! don't forget that!...and no matter how difficult it would be I'll keep to my promise to you. As your father, I'll do my best to fulfil your dreams..."

Mirai's mind was a mess as she couldn't understand how her father and mother could still watch over the love between Kamiki and her when it seemed that their family was crumbling apart. All the promises didn't make sense...The ring which could protect her life didn't make sense as well. As she ran out from the backdoor with Ayame, she turned back and saw armed soldiers rushed through the front gates and she could hear a bloody fight broke out in the courtyard.

"Noooo....what's going on?!!I have to protect my parents!" Mirai tried to run back to her parents, but someone with a firmer arm caught hold of her.

"Let me go!"

"Arioka-kun..." Ayame was the only sane one who could recognise the person before her eyes immediately, while Mirai continued to struggle.

"Ayame, help me control your lady... we need to get out of this place pronto, or there'll be no hope for Shida clan," he shouted, and Ayame obeyed immediately knowing that there's no time to waste. The horse which carried the 3 of them was galloping at  a much reduced speed as opposed to their chasers who were close behind. He tugged Mirai in the front of him with his arm wrapped around her waist and another controlling the horse, while Ayame sat behind him with her arms tightly circled around his waist.

"Arioka-kun, let me down. the horse cannot carry all of us..." Ayame said fearlessly.

"don't talk nonsense... I won't give you up" he shouted back while focusing on the unsteady road.

"please...please protect Mirai-sama... and tell her I'm sorry I cannot serve her anymore...." Ayame said stubbornly with her voice still strong in the rain. He couldn't hear the hesitant in her words and knew that she wasn't gonna be persuaded otherwise. He wanted to save her as well, but deep in his heart, he knew she was spot on that the horse cannot bring them far with 3 persons. and the only one eligible for a self-sacrifice is her...He cannot hold her back, for her sacrifice is necessary for the survival of possibly the last Shida.

"I promise, Ayame-chan... I'm sorry..." as soon as he uttered the final goodbye, he felt Ayame loosening her grip around his waist and quickly, she fell off the galloping horse. He turned back and saw her sprawled onto the grass with the guards approaching in a flash. He hardened his heart, clenched his teeth, and turned back to face the front, with full speed ahead. The distance betweent the pursuers and them widdened exponentially thanks to Ayame.

Ayame knew there was no hope of living, as she saw the guards with swords moving towards her. She backed away until she was right by a cliff.

"do we need to take her alive, sir?"

"pointless... she's only a maiden. just kill her and bring her body back to be buried with the other fallen residents of the Shida Manor"

"yes, sir" the guards responded in unison.

Ayame  felt her heart tightened as she thought about how many people have died back there...She clenched her fist with vengence and uttered, "I rather kill myself than die in the hands of the killers of my benefactors.! I'm sorry goshuujin-sama, I cannot stay with Mirai-sama till the end, but I will watch over her in the oother universe...thank you for keeping me in the Manor, I will serve you my next life." Ayame jumped off the cliff with no regrets. Her body rolled down the steep slope, crashing on several tree trunks and finally settling beside a huge rock. The rain washed the blood from the many open wounds from her head, her neck, her ripped skin and her knees. Soon, the puddles were stained red. 

A pair of footsteps approached the cold body of the brave girl who gave her life to her masters when the rain stopped several hours later. The tall guy bent down and skimmed through the badly-shapped girl. He held her up in his arms, gripped her chin and searched for even the slightest sign of life.

He turned around and exchanged glances with a masked man sat on a black horse. The masked man responded with a blink of his eyes and the tall guy was sure what he had to do.