Chapter 5 Part 3 [finale]

Betrayal of the rising star

Yuto painstakingly recalled the night before where Ayame begged for her to stay behind, with Ryosuke. it was against the instructions but her request was beyond just sincerity that he couldn't reject her offer to stay. it was also with ulterior motive that Yuto felt at least more comforted to know someone trustable is there to inform them should anything go wrong, and besides, she could tend to his living needs. it was only with these clauses in mind that Yuto agreed to keep it from Ryosuke of Ayame's plans. the only thing that kept Yuto probing himself hard is Ayame's ulterior motive. it wouldn't be purely a maiden's loyalty to her master's husband, it would be too absurd especially her own master would be emotionally dependent upon departure from Aoihoshi and would need her by her side. yet she has begged so thoroughly for her to stay behind. uneasiness crept up in Yuto's mind since he agreed to the request, and it wasn't surprising that Mirai felt it as well. He looked into the carriage occasionally and saw her in the same position dazed at her wrists for hours. A coloured band was wrapped around her wrist with the letter R sewn on it just like her ring which WAS on her finger. Mirai knew perfectly the reason for all this appearance and disappearance from these momento to the mystery of her maiden. Ryosuke has withdrawn the ring to signify that she is not bounded to the marriage and is free to marry whoever who comes along. Yet he has placed the band she found from him back on her wrist, while her own one with the letter M was missing. she knew he has taken it away, but didnt know whether to celebrate over it. it's an exchange of momento which somehow indicated that a part of him wanted to remember her. however, all these thoughts couldn't suppress the uncertainty with respect to her maiden who chose a life with him. She wasn't obligated to stay behind, but she risked her life to stay back for him, that gesture alone made Mirai's mind went wild. the indication wasn't certain but was obvious that Ayame's heart has wavered for him. her love for him was forbidden, but she has taken the brave step to fight for her own love. The last Yuto heard from Mirai's mouth was a line that shakened his heart "Yuto, I feel so useless, cause even Ayame was strong enough to fight against all inertia to stay by his side. but I don't even have the strength or ability to... maybe my love for him wasn't strong"

Yuto still remembered her dried eyes when she spoke that line which he has no answer to. Trapped in a delicate situation, he cowardly chose to excuse himself from the carriage to join Daiki. he thought to himself, "Mirai, perhaps even my loyalty to Ryosuke wasn't as strong as Ayame's love for him too. I too chose the cowardly path than to insist my stay with him...I have no answer to you, for I have no answer to myself as well."

"Yuto...Yuto..." Daiki recalled his senses as soon as he saw their destination in the front not too far away.

"Ah, gomene..." 

"we're reaching. so, I hope you could at least tell me what's the plan that you and Ryosuke did not share with me."

Yuto thought deeply of Daiki's request and felt that there's no reason to conceal anymore. He sighed while mustering his courage to say it in one breathe "Daiki, Ryosuke's plan may be foolproof and I'm sure he could expose and overthrow his mother and her 2 children, but..."

"but what? shouldn't that be good news?"

"but his plan never included his own survival..." Yuto choked on his own tears as he remembered the time when Ryosuke first told him this decision.

"what do you mean by that?!"

"Ryosuke never planned to come out alive, Daiki! This case is serious enough to rattle the whole country, the conspiracies and the dirty blood, even the embarrassment brought upon to the royal family would stain the name of the generations to come. more importantly, it disgraces the country and will lead to a public outcry. the officials will ask for a change in rulers before the people go on protest for the same reason. Ryosuke wouldn't be spared. in the worst scenario, he will be publicly prosecuted in the name of cleansing the system. to put it crudely, he will pay the final price that his family has sowed. Until all Ryunosuke are wiped out, the palace is cleansed off their bloodline, the officials would search for the next kin who does not run the blood of Ryunosuke to take over the throne..."

"so you are telling me, he sent Mirai away, was because..."

"you got it Daiki... He wanted to ensure the throne goes to her. Lady Asuka being the wife of the child who does not belong to the royal bloodline would not make her an eligible candidate, but Mirai who is the wife of the only legitimate heir to the throne will have all the rights to take over."

"how could you keep this important part of the plan from Mirai! do you know how hurt she's gonna be when she come to know he has planned to die for her?!! she won't be able to take it!" Daiki shouted in a whispering tone so that it wouldn't alert Mirai.

"then do you have a better solution to this?! We have exhausted all other choices! Mirai will be in danger once people realised she has the most chance of taking over the throne! Ryosuke won't have the mind or ability to do anything for her then. it's not like he didn't expect her to be traumatized when the news come back to her, that's why he rather have the 2 of us accompany her than keep us by his side to protect him. he has estimated his dooms, and he's stopping at nothing to make sure justice is served for those three, even if it means his own death. Daiki, we need to look at the big picture. We cant save Ryosuke anymore, he has accepted his fate long ago since he started planning the revenge.. he never wished to walk out alive. it's suicidal but he's tired... you know what is the most heartbreaking thing he ever told me? it's that he is someone who should never have been born, and that his birth is only a tool for the revenge game of his parents. he felt that his death will only bring a closure to this whole episode of bad blood." Yuto crumbled with his head buried in his palms. Daiki felt sorry for Yuto, as much as the master he only served for a short while. it's so true the things that he said, yet it's so painful to hear it. Ryosuke is so pitiful that his story has made the 2 shinobis fall into a temporary state of depression.

"How do we break the news to her when it all comes to a closure? I do not even know what kind of ending it will be..." Daiki asked after a long period of silence.

"Ryosuke has promised that he will at least try to keep alive. He has Yamaguchi-san and his strong fleet of army with Yuma as commando. I'm hopeful that the ending may not be as tragic or bleak as we think... in the case of Mirai, he has prepared a letter for her to answer her questions and to numb the heartbreak; I do not know the contents, but I'm sure he has it all planned out."

"maybe I could understand why he had been so harsh to her all these while... I could also finally understand the things he said to me before..." Daiki said solemnly.

"yes, Ryosuke is someone with foresight. if it's not because of all the conspiracies that ruined his entire life and determined his fate of damnation, he definitely has the qualities of a visionary leader that will lead the people to great heights." 

"Ayame, I can't believe she has fallen for Ryosuke... I should have figured out the first time I reunited with her in Ryosuke's camp. the way she spoke of him, the way she looked at him, they were all an indication that her heart has wavered... now she was even willing to abandon her own master and endanger her life for him..."

"I doubt Ryosuke didn't know about her feelings for him. but I guess it was the least of his concern given the mountain of other issues in his mind. plus, he actually saw her as a confidant since he probably saw his own shadows in her... Ayame is a strong girl with undying spirit, just like Ryosuke when he was young. so maybe that's why, he was soft to her and was readily befriending her. think on the bright side, at least she can be our informer and help as his companion for the time being.."

Both sighed as they continued to pace towards the enormous fleet of army left behind by Shida Abi, father of Shida Mirai. 

****
"are you sure you'll be alright? you don't look so good." Yuma said to Ryosuke in the woods behind the palace.

"I'm alright, just feeling a little jittery about what is to come in hours time," Ryosuke said in a low voice which sounded weak as compared to his usual. "how's our army? ready?"

"yes, you can trust me on that. I have spread the 5000 strong army throughout the north, south, east, west gates of the palace. the informer in the palace will inform us should the plan backfire, and we'll strike in and take over. we've calculated the size of their fleet and subduing them would be easy with their low morale"

"lets not be over confident, but I did make the same observation as well..." 

"but where's Yamaguchi-san? I thought he'll be here with you for this meeting?" Yuma asked, but what he received was a reassuring smile from Ryosuke "I'll see him later.you don't have to worry about that. anyway, Yuma..." Ryosuke threw his arms around the tall general who has remained faithful since he came under his charge. Yuma gasped as no leader has shown such affection to his men. he has always known Ryosuke for a sincere leader who thinks a lot for his men, as if like his friends and comrades instead of slaves. Yuma enveloped the same-age prince in his arms and gave each other a brotherly hug.

"Thank you for protecting me and tending to my stuff, Yuma..." a teardrop rolled down Ryosuke's eyes silently and dampened Yuma's white top. Yuma could feel warm tears welling in his own eyes, especially when he felt his lord's. 

"it's my pleasure to be serving you too. you're the best lord I've ever met." Yuma withdrew slightly and cupped his arms on Ryosuke's shoulders.

"the ending you feared, will not happen with me around. like it or not, I'll be with you till the end, your men will fight to protect their lord."

"thank you, Yuma" Ryosuke lowered his gaze and said with an unconvinced tone, "if things go as predicted... it's possibly a goodbye for us..." Ryosuke choked on his suppressed tears. 

"it's not gonna be a goodbye. be positive, Ryosuke... as you always are... trust me" Yuma gave a confident smile that made Ryosuke smile and nodded subtly in return.

The parting of ways to carry out each task at hand made the journey particularly lonely and daunting. Ryosuke found himself dragging himself across the corridor to the courtroom, with one hand in his pocket which tightly clutched hold of a band that he retrieved from Mirai... he could imagine the letter M sewn on it even though he was only feeling it from his pocket. He recalled the day he received the band and it felt like it was just yesterday as the memories were freshly stored in his heart and mind. 

It was yet another lonely lunch break where Ai-kun has distanced himself away from his classmates on the virtue that he'll be ostracized anyway. Given Ai/Ryosuke was more versatile than others (his only strength then) he easily climbed up the huge tree that sits peacefully in the garden. Sitting on the tree branch, he dazed to the faraway horizon wondering how life would be if he was at the other end. He was so engrossed with thinking about his bottled up sadness faced at home, about being neglected by his family, being treated as though invisible or worst unwanted, that he hasn't realised the girl who would make his heart speed up was standing beneath his dangling feet, calling his name.

"Ai-kun! Ai.." she said with her sweet voice.

"heh..." he was recalled to his senses by the angelic voice. he peered between his feet and saw the pretty girl of his dreams and was at that time the only friend he has. 

"Ai-kun... I wanna come up.. can I?"

It was not only versatility, he was good with strength and survival skills, since he was grown in the environment where he received none of the love his brothers have. in fact he is often left out that he had to fend for himself. helping Mirai up the tall, huge tree wasn't difficult. he climbed downwards then stretched out his hands for her...

"Hold my hands..." he said out and she grabbed his hand wholly without a slightest hesitation. the moment their hands touched, Ai felt an electrifying sensation that ran through his veins. hiding the blush on his face, he concentrated on pulling her up and effortlessly he got her to where his cozy spot was. He was captivated by her face which was full of happiness as she becomes immersed of the mesmerizing view from the top. Her shimmering eyes were enough to make his heart skip a beat and he found that he had to look away. before he gets caught in a fix.

"Ai-kun..." she called out softly while still gazing afar.

"yes?"

"I feel so tired sometimes when my father tries to into every other thing of my life. it's so frustrating..."

"like what?" he asked although he felt a cringe in his heart because he yearns for the slightest attention from his parents.

Mirai looked at him with hesitant eyes and he knew exactly what was troubling her. "your father is concerned with who you are hanging out with?"

she nodded subtly then aired her grievances further "he told me not to mingle too much with Kamiki and his clique, cause they are the untouchables, saying I cannot afford to mess with them... but seriously, what's the issue with befriending the royalty. it's not like I'm not one myself... does that mean I cannot make friends with you too, just cause you're a commoner."

He felt saddened by her statement he knew wasn't intentional, but it is hurtful even though it was hypothetical. Having spent alot of time together, Mirai could tell he's upset, and she also knew he would never tell her if her words were too blunt.

"Ai-kun, Gomenasai... my foul mouth again, isn't it...to be honest, I can tolerate my father opposing me hanging out with them, but if he opposes me hanging out with you, I'll fight it all out with him."

He was confused by her words yet at the same time hopeful about what would come."why?" he asked

"you are my only friend and my best friend! I love spending time with you, doing all those unfeminine stuff without being judged." she gave a bright smile, that together with the lasting statement, she felt his own heart melt. 

"Mirai...actually I, I...." he didnt get to complete what he had to say, the next instance, he tied a multi coloured band around his wrist. he looked at her tying the knot around his wrist with blank eyes, then he realised she had the same thing wrapped around her own wrist. what's most interesting was the letter M sewn on hers while his was sewn with R.

"what's this?" he asked.

"it's a friendship band. took me nights to do it. it's exclusively done by me Shida Mirai, and there's only 2 in the whole world. one for you and one for me... don't you dare lose this, I'll really not talk to you..."

"y-you didn't give Kamiki?" he asked knowing her heart was obsessed with him, but her reply was enough to take him off guard. 

"no, why would I...you are much more important to me than he is...he doesn't even know I like him," Mirai said with a serious tone. His heart went all fluffy and the blush on his chubby cheeks became even more evident. 

they sat giggling about life and all the atrocities, though in actual fact, Mirai was the only one complaining about every other thing. He didnt mind this side of her cause he knows that there's a whole lot of other flaws of him that she has to endure. soon after, she fell asleep with her head nested on his meaty shoulders. He secured her with one arm then dazed into her sound asleep face. there was a subtle smile of happiness hung on her face, though he doesn't know the source of this happiness. he hoped it was him but he knew the one she thinks alot of is her crush, Kamiki. the more he looks at her tranquil face, the more he couldn't suppress his urge of possessing her. he let himself go closer, then her beauty drew him stronger and stronger, and the distance between them reduce until there's no more. before he realised it, his lips are sealed with hers. the impression was light but the addiction was strong. he stayed on her reddened lips for a while until he finally has the enough determination to pull away.

"in your absolute consciousness, I can never have you, Mirai... unknown to you, I don't exist, my name, my person, my everything you know. would you be disappointed when it is all made known to you? would you still treat me the same. one thing that will not change is, i love you" he caressed her long hair with his fingers and a smile brim on his face. She wouldn't know till today that he has taken her first kiss, and it'll always remain a secret as a punishment for what happened after. 

"Mirai...my heart will continue to beat for you." he crushed the band tightly within his hand as he stood before the court with a deadly stare and a strong determination to conquer and a perseverance to end it all. 

****
Mirai was stunned to see 5000 strong fleet of elite soldiers that are under her command. She was especially touched that Ryosuke has taken care of this army for her family while they are gone and has passed her the commandership to her. tears welled up in her eyes as she thought of him, pondering deeply how he's doing, back under the different sky from where she is. she took a rest in the campsite with Yuto guarding her in close proximity. her eyes dazed at his friendship band. memories of the comforting and innocent Ai with his pure smiles, penetrated her mind profusely, and in increasing occurrence, flashes of the little skinship with Ryosuke made her flush. She could not remember Ryosuke's smiles as much as Ai, and it was almost like the former hasn't smiled. A surge of regret rushed up her veins as she knew she's the one who killed that beautiful smile from him. She smiled thereafter, imagining the curve on Ryosuke's charming face. she knew it would be so captivating that her heart would fail. the transformation on Ryosuke has been enormous that she hasn't reconciled with her memory of the previous. facing Ryosuke, despite his harshness, was like falling for him day after day. she caught her fallen tear as she knew he needed her help for now, and she was determined to change for the better. she has hurt him so much with her insensibility but he has never left her to be devoured by the cruelty of the politics. he has watched over her just like old times, she knew thats what all about. she hopelessly held on to the faith that she'll return to him after everything is over and devote herself to mending his torn heart. but there was a growing uneasiness that kept her heartbeat irregular and rapid. In her hands was a letter, with a neat handwriting which was clearly Ryosuke's penmanship. it was clearly communicated to her that this can only be opened after the end of tomorrow after the court meeting is over, which also means the end of the mysterious assassination of the late King. 

For Yuto, the end of tomorrow would mean much more, and he knew the letter would have been especially difficult for Mirai to digest when she finds out there would never be a good news.

Everyone felt extremely heavy that night and by dawn, the anxiety that grew exponentially would have killed if not because the trio have to keep themselves on high alert for any indication to storm into Aoihoshi and back up Yuma. Deep down, Yuto and Daiki were hoping for Yuma to give a twist to the unfortunate tales of the third prince and praying for a miracle seemed to be the only option. The waiting game took a toll on their focus, and their exhaustion level kicked in as the hours crept past. Mirai's hands have never left the friendship band, as her worries for Ryosuke increased. 

****
Many eyes centered at the middle of the court where the exiled third Prince of Aoihoshi, son of the Late King Akiyoshi stood with the exiled younger brother of the late King, Lord Yamaguchi. the mood in court were mixed with anxiety, fear and then there were the two of them who were there to instill such feelings. Ryosuke was in a stern expression at most times but smirks on his face were seen to mock his trembling mother and brothers. 

"I would not beat around the bush so I'll go straight to the point I would like to make... Firstly, Shida Manor is not the ones plotting the assassination, instead they were clearly the scapegoats. it is not at all difficult to investigate into my father's death but the difficulty were only created to deceive naive ministers like you guys" Ryosuke mock intentionally, causing the officials to feel angered and insulted.

Ryosuke let out a cynical laughter "don't be so narrow minded, my dear pioneers of our alleged almighty system. a world class system would need open minded 
leaders who could take criticisms isn't it..."

the officials held their grudges and let out a sigh then proceeded to listen to Ryosuke without any protest.

"how would you have expected to get any real findings when the Investigation council was not there  in the first place to give you the answers you are looking for," Ryosuke was closely watching the petrified expression of Asari who was whimpering behind Kamiki. Ryosuke smirked once more and added further pressure, "in fact it was quite the opposite... they're here to mislead your investigation!" Ryosuke sternly pointed his finger at Asari who desperately tried to debunk Ryosuke "no, it's not true! he's bullting! why listen to an exiled prince!"

"then tell me what motive Shida Abi has to kill the King?" Ryosuke noticed Asari's fleeting glances. "why are you looking at my brother for answers? being the head of investigation council, shouldn't you have the answer?" he pressured Asari to answer. the other ministers were convinced that something is wrong, and it wasn't only Asari, but Kamiki, Yuya and the Empress who turned pale. Kamiki stepped aside from Asari as if indicating to him that he would cease to cover him and Asari has to fend for himself without getting his leader into trouble.

"let me tell everyone here, the one who had the answer is Shida Abi... the motive behind my father's assasination was found out by Shida Abi and that's why the whole of Shida Manor were silenced to keep the conspiracy a secret for life!"

"don't spout nonsense! what do you know, you're not even here..." Kamiki finally broke the silence but his defense only revealed his weakness even more. His trembling tone gave away clues that he has indeed something to hide, on the contrary, Ryosuke's voice is filled with confidence and strength that it made the court waver in their offer of support. "don't be impatient, I haven't even reached the meat of my information... I'm sure everyone else would want to hear the rest of my findings"

"it is exactly because I wasn't physically here, that's why I could look into the case without any interception from Asari's leader whom the instructions came from... ne, niichan." Kamiki wasn't comfortable with the persistent intimidation and he's breaking out into cold sweat.

"Shida Abi knew why my father was killed. He knew the instigator will soon get to him so he gave himself a escape route, not for him but his only child, Mirai. I wouldn't get to the topic of Mirai, but let me tell you what shocking discovery Shida Abi learnt to get his whole family killed...." Ryosuke paused for a moment then eyed the Empress with a smirk and continued "The Empress of Aoihoshi had an affair with someone else!"

"how dare you slander me with this unfounded accusation! guards, arrest him!" the Empress impatiently announced. Ryosuke's few guards drew their swords, prepared to protect their master, but he dismissed them instead. "I'm not finished with your so called slandering... the male lead here is general Yamaa!"

"huh, you mean the one who was executed?" the officials asked in confusion. 

"yes, how do you all get a clearer understanding why he got executed so abruptly without a convincing reason. that's because it's something that brings humiliation to the King and the palace~then it brings me to my next finding...their love loin" Ryosuke looked at Kamiki and Yuya with a grin.

"he's saying nonsense! stop Ryosuke!" the duo protested in a room filled with shock and disbelief.

"your reaction is so big, I would suggest the two of you stay silent to make it less obvious... Ryunosuke Yuya and Ryunosuke Kamiki..ah no, should I say Yamaa Yuya and Yamaa Kamiki, sons of General Yamaa!!"

everyone gasped while the ones in question were pale as paper and were quiet as mules as they realised that they don't know what they could say anymore. Ryosuke saw the disgraced Empress and felt sorry for his mother but he tightened his jaw and continued.

"angered by the fact the 2 children were not the King's and that she was practicing abstinence from the King, he knocked her unconscious and impregnated her with his own child. He then executed General Yamaa to punish his own wife. vengeful that her lover was executed, she wanted to seek revenge. what pushed her to her limits was overhearing the King's decision to crown his own son as the heir to his throne, neglecting the elder two.. she hardened her heart and assassinated the King to conceal the truth of her affair and retain the title of the loving mother and faithful wife. in order to ensure that there will not be future threats to her eldest son coronation, he sent the King's legitimate son away in exile... and she thought it could all be kept a secret!"

"it's ridiculous! all three of you are my son!!!" the Empress protested, followed by Kamiki and Yuya who claimed "I'm the King's legitimate son!"

"do you have evidence to proof?" the Minister of Domestic affairs voiced while the others remain in utter shock but not denying the factuality of the alleged claims. 

"of course I do," Ryosuke turned to his uncle and Yamaguchi withdrew a test-tube containing a blood-like liquid.

"this is my brother's blood... and if you don't believe me, you can ask the servants tending to him. he knew that this was an ancient Chinese method of testing blood related kins, so he left a few drops of his blood with the servant boy, and in his secret letter to Shida Abi, he has mentioned this... if there's blood relations, the blood of the kins should coagulate when poured together. but if there isn't, even if the 2 blood come into contact, they'll separate." without warning, Yamaguchi took out a blade and slashed the arms of the 2 prince, and his action was so fast that there's no way to retaliate. the two prince were close to fainting in anxiety when they peeked into the container containing the blood droplets.."

everyone in the court saw Kamiki and Yuya's blood coagulated but clearly separated from the King's. Ryosuke took the blade from his uncle's hands and slashed his finger, and droplets blood drop into the container, and immediately it coagulated with the King's 

it was almost instant that the officials kneeled to seek forgiveness from the exiled Prince. "we are sinners to have sent the legitimate prince of Aoihoshi in exile and left him in a 10 year state of jeopardy." 

"you guys are traitors to go to Ryosuke! how can you guys leave the Empress alone!" Asari spoke out for the real sinners who were too stunned to speak. 

"As my uncle said, Shida Abi, being the most trusted general of my father, he was told of the dirty blood and that was the reason why his whole manor landed in execution in order to bury all knowers and the secret under rubble...the palace, the entire system have forsaken a great serviceman!" Ryosuke raised his voice. 

"Arrest the 4 of them, including Asari and sent them to the underground bunker for political convicts. await my orders!" the raging Ministry of Internal Defence exclaimed.

In a swift movement, the Empress snatched a knife from her reach and pointed it at Ryosuke's throat.  "dare arrest me and ill stab it through his throat" Though every other official were panicking for the safety of the only heir, He didnt fear at all, he stood with confidence and a creepy laughter. "okasama, it's really disappointing how you could risk your life for first 2 of your sons, but not the third. you could even sacrifice me away, but guess what, I have expected this. kill me if you want but I would rather you assess this clearly. I have my fleet standing by outside, if anything happens to me, they'll rush to my aid, then i have another fleet in courtesy of Shida Manor which you should already have known...and the kingdom will be invaded and whatever you have slogged your life for will collapsed. you and yours sons would not be able to make it out alive either." Ryosuke said without emotions.

"you... you wretched kid! I will not forget what you did today!" the Empress dropped her knife and with much struggle from Kamiki and Yuya, the guards finally took them away. Yamaguchi let out a grin while the rest are still in disbelief. Ryosuke, stood, still expressionless. it was almost difficult to decifer what he's thinking. his uncle was surprised how he could be so heartless and ignorant of his half brothers and his blood mother's pleading.

"Ryosuke-sama" The Minister of Internal Defence called out politely, and he turned to face them with a soft smile which also seemed to hint that he knew what they had to say. "I understand... this might amount to an execution, and those whose body flows the blood of my mother will be implicated, including me."

"Gomenasai, Ryosuke-sama.von behalf of the whole council and the ministerial circle, I extend my deepest apology for the negligence of duties that have led to such absurd conspiracies and injustice to you. we will look properly into the case and mete out a verdict that serves justice to you. trust us, we will think of a way to excuse you from the unforgivable evils of your kind"

Before Ryosuke could speak, a third voice interrupted, "and the people have spoken for their Prince!" Yuma entered with a few guards, holding stacks of what seemed like a petition endorsed by the citizens of Aoihoshi. 

"you are?" a minister asked.

"pardon for intruding. I'm Nakayama Yuma, General to Prince Ryosuke.... I'm here to seek your approval to release my Prince from the crimes of the sinners. He's a victim of the conspiracy and should not be punished for the crimes committed by the kins who have never treated him as one and that he suffered from. the people have expressed their gratitude and have appealed for a pardon for our nation's prince! Every single piece of document here holds the most sincere gratitude for the prince who has served them in the dark, through the vigilante force that he established to fight against the tyranny of the rulers and protect the defenseless folks."

Ryosuke finally showed some expression on his face, though it was only a subtle smile. he lowered his head as if in deep thoughts. while the ministers flipped through the extensive documentation, Ryosuke interrupted their focus with a cynical laughter. He didnt speak a word but gave a pat on Yuma's shoulder with a gentle smile and a glance that seemed to communicate a hundred words, then paced out of the court alone with his straightened back.

Naturally his senses brought him to place where he will get the last answer he has always wanted to hear. Walking down the darkened corridor with bars after bars of cold cells and shattering screams, he reached the most far end of the cell with the newly inducted prisoner. Stripped away from the wealth and glamour, even though it was only minutes since he last saw her, he was stunned to see his mother crouched in a corner in a pathetically unrecognizable state. it was a unbelievable transformation from a lavish lady to a haggard woman.

"okasan" Ryosuke called her softly, and she slowly lifted her head to the source of the voice. she rolled her eyes and looked away, refusing to exchange glances with his son.

"okasan, I have only 1 question"

there was no response but Ryosuke proceeded with his question anyway. "even if it's for a moment, a minute, a second, did you ever feel glad that you've given birth to me?"

the silence stretched but Ryosuke's hope for an ideal answer did not waver. he waited and waited, then came her demeaning laughter. 

"Glad that I gave birth to you? that's the joke of a century! why would I! I wished you're never born!"

Ryosuke smiled then he slowly paced out with only a last sarcastic sentence "even so, I never regretted you as my mother."

Ryosuke walked and walked until his soles are smoothen and his feet are aching, yet his numb of his exhaustion. he thought he should feel glad that things are almost over but the heart was crying in excruciating pain. warm fluid welled in his eyes and overflowed onto his cheeks. he caught it with his fingers and realised it was freshly made tears. He hid himself in the woods then naturally climbed onto a tree, much swifter than years ago. The moment he reached the top, he let out an excruciating cry that would break many hearts. he clenched his fist to distract from the breaking heart but to no avail. he covered his mouth and muffled the otherwise loud cries. the streams of tears ran like an opened tap and the from the heartbroken child never stopped but grew stronger. he has sworn not to be weak, not to be dependent, not to she's a tear but he wasn't able to withstand anymore.

The urge to see Mirai surfaced ever strongly. his mind, his heart was crying for her presence, to hug him and comfort him but she would never hear his yearnings nor his heart cause in her eyes, he has shut her out. Mirage or delusions, he thought the divine has heard his plea. With his reddened and clouded eyes, he looked where Mirai's voice came from. 

"Ayame?" his voice cracked while trying to suppress his cries.

"Ryosuke-sama..." she called with a depressed tone as she felt the pain he undergo.

"why are you here! you are supposed to be with Mirai!"

"sorry, I can't..."

"why!" Ryosuke shouted angrily.

"because I can't leave you alone~ my heart can't do it, Ryosuke-sama."

Ryosuke wasn't surprised of her confession. what he's surprised is her willingness to die for him.

"do you know you can die?!!"

"i am prepared, Ryosuke-sama... anything for you! and I am sure your sincerity has touched kami-sama. you're safe isn't it...I heard from General Yuma"

Ryosuke heard some rustles in the wood and knew what he has been waiting for has reached.

"grab my hand. I'll help you up," Ryosuke whispered then held out his arm for her. She took it without hesitation then he pulled her effortlessly despite her heavier mass.

"what's going on?" she asked but he cupped and leaned forward, making her heart skip a beat. whispering to her ears, he said, "stay low and don't let anyone know you're here."

"huh...?" she responded in confusion. 

"shh... listen to me closely. things haven't official end yet, and I've the last thing I need to tend to. it's unfortunate you have to be here to witness this..."

"i dont understand"

"Ayame, I'm sorry I have given you the wrong indication and I've taken your kindness and love. I apologise for not being able to reciprocate your love cause I really do not have the ability to do so, I would only hurts the feelings of those around me, including Mirai... you're a nice girl..." he gently pushed her drapping long hair behind her ears, revealing her fresh face. he entwined his fingers with her hair and traced down the tangles "you deserve better. I would free you from the life of a servant and you can look for someone more able to love you dearly and take care of you. I could have arranged for a good man for you but I'm sorry I didn't have the time to."

"no no, I don't need anyone else except Ryosuke-sama..." her protest was silenced with the lips she was not entitled to. the first kiss of her life, and the experience was like her breathe was taken away. Her heart paused then sped rapidly like a galloping horse. her hands grip his arms and soon they were both engulfed in a passionate moment. but just before it reached the , Ryosuke withdrew.

"it's the only gift I could give you. bitter or sweet, I'll leave you to discern but I'm sorry, that's all it is. my heart is fully occupied, besides Mirai, I cannot accept another. this may be cruel, but I hope you could look after Mirai while I'm not here. she only got you and Daiki left in this world...thank you Ayame," Ryosuke smiled in the brightest ever. It was unusual that he smiled at ease, and Ayame knew something was wrong, but it was too late to ask any more. in a blink of an eye, he jumped down from the tree branch to the ground and paced towards a bigger sized man who stood in a near distance. Ayame focused her eyes and realised it was someone on their side "Yamaguchi-san" she mumbled under her breathe. "what are they discussing to have arranged such a secret meeting venue, and their expressions seemed heavy..." she thought. she paid full attention to listen in to their conversations,even to the extent of toning down her breathing so she could hear clearly. what she never knew is that what she is about to hear was not only shocking, but life changing and would traumatize her for life!...

*****
Mirai held onto Yuto's waist as he galloped urgently from the outskirts of Aoihoshi into the capital. Daiki was close Behind, and neither of them have stopped for a rest, not because they were my tired but they were not nearly alive to feel the exhaustion. their hearts have died, their breathing have paused, it was almost as if their lives have been away in a whirlpool change of events. they never thought winning would be so hurtful, they never thought grief would follow success, they absolutely didnt know good and bad news can coexist. it was a horrific enlightenment for the three absentees when the informer came with a message that collapsed all hopes and dreams, and took away what they thought were in their hands... the deafening words spoken caused their world to crumble, and it repeatedly ran through their minds like a broken tape. words were never meant to hurt so much, but these were as piercing as it could be to the woman who yearns for her husband.

"how is it? did the court overrule the Empress and Kamiki?" Yuto took the lead and asked, while Mirai stood beside, trembling with her pale expression after days of insomnia over the absence of news. In fact, none of the three could sleep but Mirai had it the worst. She buried herself over politics she never bothered in the day, as a vow she made silently to him, she cried in the night as she prayed for his safety, she struggled in her sleep at the mere imagination of his tremulous and lonely journey he has to embark since birth. She told herself she deserved the torture, for she is partly the cause of his pathetic life. Yuto feared that if the news from Aoihoshi never come sooner, Mirai will collapse from her depression, but now, he hoped the news never came.

The informer was firm in his response when he said "all went well. Asari was executed yesterday. Kamiki, Yuya and the Empress were found guilty of at least a dozen counts of treason. The people condemned the acts and asked for their execution, but eventually they settled for an exile from the grounds of Aoihoshi and that of our bilateral countries"

"exile?! the people couldn't have forgave them..." Daiki bursted out in protest of the injustice to the fallen lives of Shida Manor.

"it wasn't the people who asked, it was Ryosuke-sama who wrote a letter of request to the council of inquiry."

"Ryosuke?" Mirai's face lighted up at the mere mention of his name.

"why would Ryosuke do that? he hated them so much..." Daiki added.

"then you don't know him enough. Ryosuke will never be able to hate his parents, or his half brothers, even if they have only treated him as dirt... he hated his life, but he never once blamed them for bringing him into this world."

With Yuto's relevation of Ryosuke's inner feelings, those present in the room were drowned in sorrows that their prince was lonelier than they had known. Mirai wasn't able to contain her anxiety anymore, and the next instance, she hysterically grabbed the arms of the informer and asked "where's Ryosuke? is he alright? is he safe? did he leave a message for me?!"

"my lady~" while the informer has retained a firm tone previously, the firmness dwindled as soon as Mirai's question was asked. Yuto and Daiki could sense something is wrong, so Yuto naturally took a step forth and secured Mirai by her shoulders.

"was the ending like what we predicted... it can't be isn't it, since you said the people acceded to Ryosuke's request to exile the convicts, then they wouldn't have implicated him as we thought before." Yuto asked but none of these were understandable to the poor, shakened Mirai who only need a simple answer to her questions.

"you're right. in fact, it was better than we thought. all the vigilante work that Ryosuke-sama has done for the people, the goodwill he has established, have led the whole of Aoihoshi to accept him as the rightful heir. the entire population has filed their petition to keep the royal bloodline of Ryunosuke alive only for Ryosuke and him alone."

"then what is the issue?" Yuto got impatient and he didnt know to be celebrating over the good news as it didnt seem like it was good, especially when The informer hesitated to answer time and time again as if he didnt know how best he could break it to them.

"we have been so engrossed with fighting our enemies that we have overlooked the possibility of a shadow among us. our trust to our own men have dug us a grave with such huge trenches that we were too blind to see."

"you mean there's a mole among us?!" Daiki and Yuto both gasped as they realised what was coming.

"it's far from a mole cause it wasn't about divulging our missions. it was a struggle for power, a greed that never was suppressed, instead grew with time. it would easily have taken a decade of foresight to lay out a foolproof plan so extensive that none of us detected it. but also, it was our kindhearted and wise leader who decided to conceal it all till the end. it was obvious that he wanted to save grace for the person he respected, that he never alerted us, instead aided the plan to exterminate himself..."

"exterminate him? person he respected?!" Mirai was desperate for answers with hurtful words thrown to her at every juncture. the anxiety has hit the roof and the tears welling in her eyes were about to burst through her iris. Yuto and Daiki couldn't even afford to breathe at this point. 

"Yamaguchi-san has eyed the position of the power holder for long, that was why the late King Akiyoshi has in the first place exiled him from the country because his greed was too strong to ignore. Yet his knowledge was best to aid Ryosuke-sama. Ryosuke coming to him for help to overthrow his mother and brothers was almost like walking into the lion's mouth. ever since he met Ryosuke-sama, he has plotted to use him to steal the throne. First, to rid the other stumbling blocks with the aid of the legitimate heir, then when all these have been eliminated, he only has to remove the last heir. once that happens, he is the only one in the family line who could succeed the throne. and the people would have thought he will be a good King because he aided the prince. he used Ryosuke-sama to build his own goodwill then eliminate him for his own goal."

The trio literally had a jaw dropping moment, and it took nearly a whole minute to reconcile with what the informer has said. but the question remains...

"SO WHERE'S RYOSUKE?!!!" Mirai asked with her hand nervously entangled with the only thing he left for her, the band with his initial.

"Yuma's guard received a mysterious tipoff, but when we reached, we only saw the barely breathing Yamaguchi-san in a pool of blood and a sword stabbed slightly off from his beating heart. there was no one else beside him, but another bigger pool of blood near the cliff beside Yamaguchi, dripping from the tip." 

"that's not Ryosuke, right, that can't be him..." Mirai weakly voiced. Yuto had to tug her close to him, as he could almost foresee her fainting in a matter of time. even he and Daiki felt their knees weakening with the information slowly laid out for them.

"according to the tip off, Yamaguchi-san was in a heated argument with Ryosuke at the exact spot. there wasn't anyone else. Yuma-san took the blood from the cliff and matched it with the late King's and it coagulated together....im sorry, but I'm afraid the blood is his and he may likely be dead, either from blood loss if not fallen to his death."

"SO! that doesn't mean Ryosuke is dead!!! no one saw him bleeding! no one saw him dead! who made the tip off!! that person would know"

"it was only a commoner, and even he didnt know what had happen to the two, except they were in a confrontation. and there wasn't anyone around in a deserted forest."

"no, no no!!!!" Mirai refused to listen anymore, but the last evidence would only have killed even the slightest glimpse of hope.

"Yamaguchi-san is arrested in the cells of the palace underground bunker. he proudly claim he has stabbed the heart of his nephew and threw him down the bottomless cliff of death! he has lost his sanity after having been defeated, given that his whole life was ruined by Ryosuke-sama at the last stage. Ryosuke-sama could have told us what he already suspected, he knew it all along, but he chose to tell us only through a letter he informed Yuma to read only after a certain time, and that time was when he met Yamaguchi-san. Ryosuke-sama had foreseen his death!"

"Let me see the letter!" Daiki shouted and snatched the letter impatiently from the informer. Yuto wasn't surprised, in fact, he recalled from the letter for him yesterday and the lines he never comprehended finally made sense "I have to put a complete end to the bad blood and the atrocities committed by the royal bloodline."
. the ending wasn't what he thought it was, Ryosuke concealed from his own best friend shinobi. it wasn't because he didnt trust him but it was like one of the sentence goes "it is my wish to protect you and keep you alive, my only friend" going against Yamaguchi will only bring more plaque to more people, it was clear to everyone now, Ryosuke's intention was to sacrifice himself and end the entire episode so everyone else he cares for can start afresh. 

As the horse galloped, the breeze cuts the skin and Mirai's tears were absent, there were really no more to shed. her tear duct has run barren and her heart has stopped pounding. the cries were trapped inside, her gaze was blanked as if she was dazing constantly, her face was pale as paper. there was only one thing in her mind now, to see the prisoner who killed her heart.

"My lady~" Yuma was there at the gate to receive the returning trio, but Mirai just alighted the horse and dashed towards the underground bunker without any guidance. 

She busted through and it was as if the guards had been all instructed to let her in, there was no obstruction at all. When she ran through the eerie corridors, she finally arrived at the one which reeks of blood. Yamaguchi, in his most disheveled state, crouched in a corner, with freshly whipped wounds and the blatant stabbed wound at his chest. there wasn't a slightest sympathy for him, Mirai dashed upfront and gave her once respected elderly a tight slap "Where is Ryosuke!!!! tell me!!!" 

Instead of answering, he let out a hysteric laughter that hinted to Yuto and the rest behind that he has clearly lost him mind, yet his respond was as infuriating for the devastated wife.. "he's dead.. haha! I stabbed him right in his heart! he's a fool, he missed mine. I sent him one last kick and there he plummeted to his death!"

"you bastard!" Mirai slapped him repeatedly, screaming and crying "he didnt miss the target, he miss it deliberately because he wanted to give you a chance to repent, yet you mercilessly sent him to his grave!"

"haha. there's no such thing as showing mercy to your enemy. I told him time and again, never to be kind to anyone! he's stupid enough!" 

"Y-Youuuu!!!!" she was on the verge of punching him with all the night she has, but Yuto moved in to hold her back.

"don't waste your efforts on a dying man... he doesn't deserve your attention," Yuto whispered in her ears. 

"let me go... I have to kill him" Mirai struggled as Yuto pulled her away but it was upon Yuto's words that she's had no choice but to agree.

"we can kill him, and of course I wanted to stab him a billion times with Ryosuke's sword, but Ryosuke died to keep him alive..we cannot let him die in vain. as much as we hated Yamaguchi, he cannot die in our hands, Mirai...."

Mirai felt faint when reality finally struck her that he's gone. Yuto pulled her into his embrace and enveloped her cozily within with his arms stretched across his frail body. Her tears streamed and soaked his top, and hearing her bitter cries by his ears, it triggered his own tear duct "a shinobi should never cry" he remembered his master said, but the first and last is shed for the one and only true master, friend and brother. 

****
"My dear honor wife,

I may not have ever called you that but believe me, I have always wanted to. my heart may have stopped beating the moment you pushed me away but it has never had a change of heart. my love for you has never died with my heart. I'm sorry for the lies I said to you. I punished you with my feigned hostility and subjected you to cold shoulders and harsh words, the truth is it hurts me everytime. I had to take preventive measures to cultivate your hatred for me and kill the remorse for me, cause that's the only way you could live without me. you are a reliant girl, and being the only one left you could depend on, I'm sorry I left you. by now, I should have already left this world in a way that probably have shocked you and everyone else. I have been preparing for my departure cause I really wanted all the bad blood to end in this generation. and all the cruel stuff I said to you were only meant to protect the only person in the world I love and cherish. that's you. I left you my legacy, I restore the glory of your family and left you with a new life and the title of Queen of Aoihoshi. the latter is to be a huge burden but I've done all I can to lay out the path for you, and deployed the most trusted of my men, Yuma and your very own Daiki. Yuto is not only going to be your personal guard, he's gonna be your greatest companion you could count on. I wanted you to hate me till the end, but it grew harder with your presence affecting my determination every minute. everytime you came to me, I felt like I was about to be torn apart. it's only with your hatred for me, then would you not shed a tear when I leave. I'm sorry I didn't do a good job on that. my compassion to you had hurt you now. please, promise me to live on, for your family. Shida Abi loves his daughter a lot, and he would wish to see her grow up independently. I won't be here, so stay strong.

it's gonna be hard, no doubt. I wasn't able to live when I left Aoihoshi 10 years ago, cause then you were not only my friend but my everything. it's weird but at no instance did I hate you regardless how you have treated me. i realised that I can never hate you. 

I have not bounded you to the oath at our marriage, I have took away the ring in case you could never do it yourself. let me bring to my grave your love with mine, and free you from all struggles of the heart. I am sorry I did not give you what a husband should, but an offspring would have made it harder for me to leave without burdening my one true love. I saved you your purity and I leave you with an open heart to accept the next man who can give you what I can't.

this is it. I can't tell you a formal goodbye cause I wasn't brave enough. forgive me for my cowardice that I resorted to such unfair, one sided way to convey my farewell. goodbye Mirai... 

i love you. I'll watch you from above.

from your silent husband,
Ryosuke Ryunosuke

Mirai's tears never stopped, her heart never mended and her hand never left the only momento of him, the friendship band. the truth of his disappearance and his alleged death would never be known, his body would never be recovered. As she stood before the grave of his husband where his body never rested in, she did her usual monthly silent conversation with him. Yuto stood at a corner as he observed the minute of complete silence which Mirai has done for first of every month since her crowning as Queen and sole ruler of the land. It was his 12 months death anniversary and till now there was no real account of what happened that day, neither was his remains found. The words of the letter to his beloved wife were engraved in her mind permanently and a whole lot of regrets followed. the fact remains that he never managed to utter the three words to her, never when he first had a crush on her in school, never when they reunited later... never during their short marriage.

"Yuto..." Mirai called softly.

"ne..." her best companion responded.

"do you believe he has already departed from the world?" Mirai asked with her face focused on the stone carvings ~ Here lies the Crown Prince of the Great Aoihoshi, Ryosuke Ryunosuke.

"I believe he has never left us. physically or mentally, he will be watching out for us. his heart hasn't stop beating but the only change is that he's finally relieved from the harsh reality of life and could finally rest from the cruelties subjected to him. I know he is happy regardless of what had happened. we may never know the truth of that fateful day but we know he had accomplished all that he wanted and all his hopes have been fulfilled."

Mirai turned around and exhange deep glances with Yuto. in agreement, they both nodded and smiled with their synchronized minds praying for the best for the most important and irreplaceable person in their heart. 

The four seasons passed and with the passing of each season, is the hurdles the sole woman leader of Aoihoshi crossed with the help of his loyal subjects and people who were built on a strong foundation of it's predecessor - that one and only in particular who served the people unconditionally. the site of his last breathe has become the greatest mystery of the people and a popular site for people to offer their prayers and honor the great prince who has suffered throughout his short life and was never given the due recognition and respect as a child of the Ryunosuke and even as a person. yet his contributions to his country, his lover and his few friends were vast.

 

*************************************************************************************

Hi readers! thanks for ur support! Notice I haven't close the story~ thats bcux there's one epilogue to go. It will say the future of Aoihoshi and Mirai. In any case, hope you guys enjoy this finale chapter, and Ihope for comments as usual! Thank u ;D