Chapter 2

Betrayal of the rising star

The sounds of water droplets finally awakened Mirai who has been knocked unconscious since the time they got out of the Manor. She vaguely recalled Ayame calling a guy who looked like their age by the name of "Arioka." she thought she has heard the name somewhere before and was trying hard to remember while trying to lie low. she observed her surroundings and finally noticed she was in a cave, with only him in the vicinity... her body stiffened with fear as she thought of what was amiss.

"where's Ayame?"

The guy looked at her but avoided her questioning gaze. he didnt respond and that made her more anxious about the fate of her friend.

"I'm asking you, where's Ayame?!!!" she dashed forward and grip him by his collar. her reddened eyes looked into his, making him more guilty.

there were nothing else he could say to her, besides "I'm sorry". 

"I don't wanna hear your sorry... what happened to Ayame?" Mirai's knees weakened and she crashed on the ground, kneeling and crying profusely.

"Ayame... she risked her life to save us. she alighted the horse to lighten the load so that it can go faster and we can both escape..."

"Ayame, why are you so silly..." she cried harder after she knew the truth. out of rage, she threw her weight at him and wrenched his collar with her eyes sternly looking into his, "you're my father's shinobi, am I right?! you're duty is to protect us! yet you let go of Ayame! how could you!!!!"

Arioka lowered his head and uttered with strength in his every word, "yes, I'm Shida Abi's shinobi, I've sworn my life to protect him and his family. I've not failed on that, Mirai-sama. Ayame hasn't too. we both have protected our masters"

His remarks gave her no capacity to rebut, she sat on the ground with her knees tugged to her chest and buried her head between. she cried hard as she recalled the friendship she shared with Ayame and she couldn't absorb the fact that she's gone.

"Ayame is my only friend..." 

His heart cringed at the few words as it reinforced the idea that the Shida Manor has never treated lowly subordinates like him and Ayame as one, instead like friends and companions. it was heartening to see the resemblance in the way Shida Abi treated him and how Shida Mirai treated Ayame. He held back his tears as he recalled how fatherly Abi has groomed and taken care of him, and now his fate is unknown. the sadness turned to fury as he swore to seek revenge for the Shida Manor. he clenched his fist but it softened when he saw the crying lady Mirai looking up at him.

"Arioka-kun... is that how I should address you?" she spoke in between her sobbings.

"you can call me Daiki. my name is Arioka Daiki." he bellowed his gaze and gave her a subtle smile. Unknown to him, Mirai felt her heart calm when she saw that sweet smile on his face. she has never seen a shinobi smile, and she's sure that it's a rare one for him as well.

"Daiki, could you then tell me what's going on?" she clutched his hands and begged, "please..."

Daiki sighed then took a seat beside her with his hands firmly gripping his sword in case of any danger.

"the investigation council claimed to have found sufficient evidence to prove that your father has assassinated the late King. so the operations today was to arrest the whole of Shida Manor while they channel all efforts to get your father to admit his alleged crimes. the instance he admits, the crime of treason will land the whole of Shida Manor on the road to execution. it seemed rush but your father has seen this coming, so he already assigned me to protect you and keep you safe at all cost."

"why only me? everyone else is arrested!" Mirai's tears streamed at both corners of her eyes and Daiki couldn't watch.

"he doesn't want them to make use you to force him to admit the crimes that he did not do. Mirai-sama, your father has suspected a conspiracy."

"nooo... then my father is doomed.. my whole family will be killed... Kamiki will help, he promised to watch over us. with his word, they'll let my family go! if not, he'll promise a fair judgement and crack down on the person trying to malign my father! it must be Yuya Ryunosuke! I must see Kamiki now! Daiki, bring me to him!" Mirai stood up and ran hysterically towards the opening of the cave. Daiki effortlessly caught up to her and grabbed her firmly by her arms.

"let go! we have to save them! you just have to get me to Kamiki"

"Mirai-sama... your highness won't be able to help. the investigation council only acts on his orders, this means he approved today's operations...."

"then I'll tell him about the conspiracy! I'll let him know that someone is maligning us! he just said to me he'll help us, he'll clear our names!"

"I trust that your highness said that, but things might have turned for the worst that he has no choice but to approve the arrest. Yuya Ryunosuke might be the source of pressure, but he has no dealings with Shida Manor so there's no reason to accuse the manor of such treachery. it's too much of a hassle"

"Yuya Ryunosuke might be trying to stop the wedding between me and Kamiki, so the succession cannot take place. yes, that must be the ploy! I must let Kamiki know!"

He tightened his grip and pulled her back firmly once more. 

Raising his voice slightly, "Mirai-sama...that reasoning is impossible for sure..."

"why?"

"because if Yuya Ryunosuke wants to stop the wedding, then you will not be the target. Asuka Okamoto, she has replaced you as  Kamiki Ryunosuke's fiancée."

"no no no... he only said our marriage is put on hold until he clears the name of my father, he never told me that he's really going to marry her!" she was mentally exhausted by this time and her head was throbbing so bad she couldn't stand still. Daiki held her with both hands, while mustering his courage to say the last bit, "your father has told me to convey to you that he'll not admit to the crimes that was maliciously tagged to him... he wants to ensure that he would not stained your name and would not reduce your chance as a legitimate wife of Kamiki Ryunosuke. if your father is convicted, then you will be the daughter of a criminal and even if you are spared from execution, you will not be able to marry him. your father wants to protect your love even if it means death. so Mirai-sama, please stay strong and do not let your father's efforts be in vain."

"so that's why he promised me... that's what it's all about...father, why must you always put me before yourself!"

Daiki helped the trembling girl to the sides of the cave and let her lean against the stone walls to calm down. he could hear her utter Kamiki's name repeatedly, so he didnt have the heart to tell her some of the mysteries that could possibly connect the dots and point to the mastermind...

"Yuya Ryunosuke openly submitted a document that seemed to suggest that the assassination was headed by Kamiki Ryunosuke. people might doubt the legitimacy of the evidence but Kamiki cannot ignore an accusation made against him if he wants to shut everyone up. so he had to order the investigation council to look into it" Abi said the night in the chamber.

"and he pushed it to you... cause of the working relationship he has with Shida Manor, it'll be easy to shift the blame without anyone suspecting," Daiki daringly proposed the possibility.

"you have learnt well under me. Daiki, I found you in the bushes when you are a baby. i raised you up myself. to tell you the truth, i saw you not as my Shinobi, I saw you as my son."

"yes, Abi-sama... I've always look up to you as my father. I'll do whatever you say to save Shida Manor from this ordeal"

"thank you my son. I only have myself to blame to let Mirai befriend Kamiki when they were young. while Kamiki's agenda is questionable at this point, I want to believe his love for my daughter is genuine. if he's doing something to protect my daughter, then I shall do so too..."

"how?"

"my lips are sealed to the point I die. I will not admit the crimes they put to me cause if the name of Shida is stained of treason, then Mirai's love will crumble."

"the torture chamber used by the investigation council is inhumane. they will stop at nothing to get you to admit. Abi-sama, let me get you to safety."

"no. if I run away, then I have admitted to the crimes. Daiki, I need you to get Mirai out of Shida Manor when I tell you so. I cannot let anyone use Mirai to threaten me to admitting."

"Abi-sama...." Daiki's tears welled up in his eyes as he thought how perilous the journey of his benefactor will be, and he has no choice but to leave him in the lurch and watch him tortured to death.

"don't cry, my son. listen to what I have to say... in this world, there's only one person who could keep her alive. if we are successfully convicted, the whole of Shida Manor will be sent for execution, they will ask for the missing daughter and a search for her will put her in grave danger. Should Kamiki not save my daughter, then at least this person can ensure no one touches even a strain of her hair."

"who else is more powerful than the Ryunosuke? is it Yuya?"

"you heard of the vigilantes roaming in Aoihoshi these days?"

"the vigilantes? but they'll be defeated as long as the Ryunosuke decides so"

"then you are wrong... Kamiki Ryunosuke especially will fear the leader of the vigilantes, and he won't be able to touch this person at all. this person holds the key to overturn the current political situation. The last I heard, he was trying to reach this leader as well, to possibly strike an alliance to secure his throne."

"who is this leader?"

"it is for you to know... he has promised to keep her alive... so you have to bring Mirai to him."

"how will he recognize us."

"I have just passed Mirai a ring... to be exact, a wedding ring. if she flashes it to his men, they will know"

"wedding ring? does it mean..."

"I told him about Kamiki and her, but he said if I want to save him, then I have to trust him on this. it's only a temporary step that we have to take. it's a risk but we have no choice but to trust him."

"I will do as you say.." 

"thank you Arioka Daiki, my most trustable son."

Daiki was engrossed in his thoughts a tat too much, cause when he regained his focus, he could hear footsteps pacing closer. 

"Mirai-sama..." he tapped her shoulders silently when he saw her asleep due to exhaustion. her eyes fluttered open and turned anxious when she heard her surroundings.

"shh... we'll leave from the back," Daiki held Mirai firmly and brought her up the horse. as quiet as they could, the horse carried them out from the back of the cave, then it sped up. 

Suddenly, the horse kneeled down and the 2 of them were flung out aggressively. Daiki wrapped Mirai in his arms when it happened and his body cushioned the fall. 

"Daiki~" Mirai gasped as he saw her squinted his eyes as if in pain.

"it's okay" he tried sitting up then his eyes saw the arrow that pierced through the hind legs of his horse. he felt chills down his spine as he quickly realised they were surrounded.

"here here... who do we have here..." an obnoxious guard mocked and his followers laughed.

"how dare you talk to us in this tone?!!" Mirai shouted back, only to be undermined further.

"I can talk to prisoners however I want!"

"I am not gonna waste my breathe on you! I want to see the prince!"

"the prince is too busy with his wedding plans with princess Asuka... he won't have time for fugitives like you..."

"you...." Mirai recklessly dashed forward as if wanting to give the guard a beating without even an armory. Daiki held her back and drew his sword.

"don't you dare touch her..." 

"ahh a shinobi... but what should we do, there's one of you but there's so many of us.."

Daiki took a quick glance at his surroundings, and he knew that obnoxious guard is right. it's impossible to fight all of them. his brows frowned while he assess the situation. before he turned to Mirai, she could already anticipate what he was about to say.

"no Daiki, we leave together."

"we will. I'll catch up with you.. just hear my cue, I'll open a pathway for you then you run southwest and don't turn back."

"no we run together."

"Mirai-sama, you need to leave now and keep yourself alive for your father and everyone else. if you want to be with Kamiki Ryunosuke, you need to be alive too... Shinobi don't die so easily so I promise you I will come back to you alive."

Mirai blinked her eyes heavily and a tear rolled down. He took it as an acknowledgement and dashed forward with a sword in his hand. his superb swordsmanship and swift manipulation of his sword easily helped him kill at least 10 of them in a mere minute. but more swarm in on both sides that made it harder to navigate.

"now!!!!" he shouted to Mirai. it already occurred to her that Daiki might not be able to handle the number of guards, his actions are slowing down and he has already suffered several blows. Mirai hardened her heart and ran as he instructed... She wasn't fast, but she didnt expect them to catch up either. when she saw the guards close behind, she felt her heart tightened as it could only suggest that Daiki has fallen in their hands. 

She dashed through the bushes, with her skin pricked by the cutting edges of the wild plants. her dress torn by the branches with slashes her delicate flesh and the roots trip her more than once. she tried not to fall, but her luck can only go this far. 

"ahhh!" she fell over a huge root and sprawled onto the ground with her head knocked onto a piece of rock. blood ooze out from her forehead but her consciousness was not compromised. she couldn't bring herself up in time before the guards surrounded her.

"silly... just surrender to us instead wasting all your efforts running... and I thought how noble Shida family is. it's such a disgrace how you and your whole family are all guilty of treason!"

"my father did not assassinate the King!!!! we are maligned!"

"that's not my business. my role is to bring you back to the investigation council!" he smirked and ordered his guards closer.

"don't come closer! or I'll cut myself" she brought a sharp branch close to her neck. her hands trembled in fear as she felt the pointy end pricking her skin and warm blood dripped out slowly. she prayed she didn't have to jab it in, but it will take miracle for someone to save her at this instance. Her mind flashed through the comforting image of Kamiki and could imagine him arriving at the last second in a dashing white horse... her mind blanked out when the guards approached her step by step, until the sword was by her nose.

"surrender now!" the guard shouted.

Her lips trembled and her tears streamed profusely, there was nothing she could do to save herself. she had to end her short life here...

"Who permitted you to kill yourself!" an arrow flew from a masked man at the far back of the crowd and hit the branch held on her hand. it was the most refine archery one has ever witness as the single arrow so precisely hit the thin branch.

"who are you! and what business do you have! we are here on official duties so out if you don't wanna get hurt.!" the guard shouted though he was whimpering what he saw several other hooded man surrounded them.

"hmm... I have more business with her than any of you..."

Mirai felt her eyes blurring bit by bit, the concussion on her head made it hard to focus. she could only see the silhouette of the masked man, but somehow she felt as though his eyes were gazing into hers. the moonlight sets against his back, making the man extra mesmerizing. "Am i hallucinating? Kamiki, it's you right?" she thought. 

Even with a double vision, she could clearly see the masked man with his black horse speeding right at her. the guards in the way backed off and it charged right at her with nothing in the way. she shut her eyes thinking she will be trampled to death, and it all happened in a blink of an eye. she felt herself scooped up from the ground and flung gently upwards and lifted from the ground. a firm pair of hands placed her securely and she could feel herself enveloped by his body and warmth. She could no longer keep herself conscious, she felt herself collapsed on his chest. the last glimpse she caught was from beneath his chin and she caught his well shaven skin and the long lashes. in such anxiety, he gave off such feeling of tranquility that made her feel calm enough to leave herself in his care. and she was sure the only one who could make her heart beat this way was..."Kamiki," she called and her eyes shut tight thereafter. 

the hooded man started a fierce fight with the guards while the 2 horses, including the masked man's carrying the young lady galloped away to an unknown route.

****
"I think we lost them..." a tall man uttered above the heavy panting coming from both him and the injured one.

"why did you save me?" Daiki said.

"you clearly need some memory jogging, Arioka Daiki.." the tall guy spoke. 

Daiki's eyes widened as he was surprised he knew his name. Daiki looked closer and surveyed the mysterious man and he gasped the moment he recalled his identity...

"long time no see, Daiki..." the tall guy stretched out his hand in attempt for an handshake.

"Nakayama..."

"ah so formal... Yuma will do ne, just like old times." Yuma firmly held Daiki up on his feet and they gave each other a tight hug for old time sake. 

"you don't look like a shinobi anymore, are you?" Daiki asked curiously. 

"nope, I've retired as a shinobi long ago."

"and those people.... those hooded man who fought those guards, they are your followers?"

"not exactly... they listen to my orders but if you want to specifically call me their leader, it'll be wrong. cause their leader is someone else, whom I take orders from too..."

"who? what are all of you? Yuma, you're very mysterious..."

"hmm, Daiki, I expected your confusion. you know of the vigilantes, right?"

"yes..." 

"we form the vigilantes" Yuma proudly introduced. Daiki was stunned by the sudden revelation, he was more shocked to find out that the person who could save Mirai was right here, but she's nowhere in sight.

Daiki punched the trunk of the tree in frustration. "if only I held on a little longer... if only I didn't tell her to run... then she'll meet you, and she'll be saved!"

"she? who is the she?... don't tell me you are serving.. Shida Manor?!" Yuma finally comprehended the situation back then and knew why Daiki was attacked and almost killed.

"yes! I was supposed to protect the youngest daughter, Shida Mirai and her to your leader... but... I lost her..."

"right, Shida Mirai... lets bring you back to base first then we can rethink our plans. you need to get treated too," Yuma helped Daiki up the horse and galloped as fast as he could. Daiki was nervous as to what he will be facing in front, who is the supreme leader everyone feared, how is the future gonna be... 

He was startled by the amount of amour and weaponry there were at the base of the vigilantes. it seemed too sophisticated for vigilantes to obtain, instead, he is beginning to think that this person behind all these followers is someone of political influence and social class. it is only so that this person can command such a refined army of good swordsman and archers and instill fear in the Kingdom of Aoihoshi. "if Kamiki manage to strike an alliance with them, Yuya would stand no chance anymore," Daiki thought silently as he observed the training by the sides of the tentage. "but whoever the King is gonna be, it does the Shida Manor no good..."

his thoughts were interrupted by Yuma who stopped and looked at him, "Daiki, there's someone you will want to meet..."

"who?" Daiki said in anticipation. he was secretly hoping it was Mirai, but from the conversation with Yuma, it is unlikely. He trailed behind Yuma until he reached one of the tents that stood near the end of the cluster. The tall one entered first, while Daiki followed closely through the blinds, and the next he knew, he was overwhelmed with joy.

"Ayame?!" he ran forward and kneeled beside her bed. she tried to pry open her eyes, and tears whelmed up in her eyes as she reunites with her fellow comrade.

"Arioka-kun..."

"thank goodness you are still alive... you are badly injured..." Daiki turned to Yuma who now stood beside another tall guy of the same build as him.

"regarding her condition, I'll leave it to him to explain."

the tall guy paced forward with a mysterious gaze. his hands are placed close to his weaponry and his alertness was not to be taken lightly. Daiki knew from his aura that this guy is undoubtedly a shinobi, and is a highly skilled one. the only question is... who is his master...

Daiki was about to introduce himself, albeit with hostility, but he was outbeaten by him

"you're Arioka Daiki, am I right?" he asked with confidence. Daiki felt that almost everyone here gave him an intense sense of fear especially when it seemed they have grappled all they need to know about Aoihoshi and its people. 

"how did you know?"

"there's nothing in Aoihoshi we do not know and you'll be curious what we know that you don't. anyway, I'm Nakajima Yuto and as you have probably guessed, I am the same as you."

"how did you find Ayame...?"

"well, she jumped from a cliff and we found her beneath. she's barely alive when we brought her back. but our leader insisted to nurse her until she revives, if not we would have left her alone."

"thank you for saving her... I really appreciate it. what about Mirai-sama... can we find her back?"

"I have already dispatched our men to keep a lookout for her.other than that, we can only wait for our leader to be back before we can decide on our way forward."

"Yuto, he isn't back yet?"

"No, I'm starting to be worried too. because of Shida Mirai's disappearance, I realised it wasn't only Kamiki's troops that were searching for her, Yuya Ryunosuke's troops were looking for her too."

"your highness must be looking for my lady to save her..." Ayame innocently exclaimed.

"save her?! I don't know where you heard this from, but I can tell you Kamiki wants to make Shida Manor the scapegoat of the assassination and close the case, since the longer it drags, especially when it implicates his own name, the more disadvantageous it is for him. Yuya on the other hand would probably want to get a hand of the Mirai, being the remaining Shida who isn't held captive, so he could manipulate her to turn against Kamiki. with Mirai in either one of their hands, they could manipulate Shida Abi's statement. to admit or not admit, makes a huge difference in the status quo," Yuma blurted out. 

"enough Yuma. they do not need to know these," Yuto responded.

"your highness is not evil... he loves my lady so he wouldn't hurt her." Ayame added, though Daiki knew the assertions were almost the truth.

"Ayame, I'm sorry to interrupt, but i'm afraid your lady has no rights to love him anymore," Ayame and Daiki looked at Yuto with a startled face but he no longer has an intention to respond. 

"Yuma, I'll deploy some guards to watch the two of them. I think the 2 of you are smart enough to figure the rules here, so my advise is don't try anything funny.." Yuto instructed.

"where are you going?" Yuma asked as they stepped out of the tent."

"I'll go look for him," Yuto answered anxiously.  "if it wasn't because he insisted for me to bring Ayame back for treatment, we wouldn't have separated." he thought to himself as he led his horse out of base. "hopefully, he has met up with Yamaguchi-sama."

*****
a gentle pair of hands pressed a wet cloth against the open wounds. the bleeding seemed to be under control after cleansing but still he was extra careful when he rubbed against it. He carefully placed her seated upright with her back leaning against the stone wall, as he cleaned her wounds from her bleeding forehead to the stab wound on her neck. he felt her limbs burning and only then realised she was running a fever. with such traumatic twist of events and near death experience, it is no wonder her body will suffer a withdrawal. he heard her gasped in slight agony when he dapped the cold cloth on her exposed skin. he knew the cold bite was unbearable and the body aches were insufferable, but there was only so much he could do. 

he took off his cloak and wrapped it over body, as she lowered her onto the ground. all his tender-loving care towards Mirai was well-taken into mind by a middle aged man sitting at the back end of the cave. 

"I don't understand, why must you treat her so well... she's our prisoner too you know. I don't understand also why you agreed to Shida Abi's request. you never want to depend on anyone isn't it."

"I am not depending on Shida Manor's army. with or without, I can still win. it's the influence of the Shida Manor I need. the people love them. Kamiki will try to stain their reputation but with the strong perseverance of the old man, I presume he will not admit even if they execute his. no matter how he add crimes to the poor man, as long as we have a piece of his bloodline, we will be able to turn the situation around.see how anxious the 2 brothers are looking for her, she's has become the crucial key."

"wise... you are."

"i am not any wiser, but it's you who's ageing"

"yes yes, you can stop reminding... but having brought you up, you can't hide from me that you habour something more for her."

"enough, ojisama"

Finally settling down on the ground beside the lady sound asleep, he took a long glimpse as her beautiful features which seemed to illuminate under the crimson moon.

"would you accept Kamiki's offer?" the older man asked with anticipation.

"to assist his succession and share the power...not a chance. I want him dead," he wrenched his fist in a fit of anger.

"then why didnt you just decline him on the spot"

"you saw how anxious he was. I will leave him dangling in anticipation, leave him hopeful that I will agree..."

"but... this lady, she is deeply in love with him. Shida Abi asked you to bless her when the time comes for her to be free. killing him, isn't an option is it?"

he turned back to her and brush away her fringe that covered her eyes. "such a sweet face, I can't wait to see her die in her own tears..."

The older man saw his sinister glance that is fixated upon her and felt chills down his spine.

"huh?"

"I have other plans for her, and I can only say Shida Abi will regret in his grave that he ever asked me for the favour..."

"then I'm wondering why the extreme change in you... haha, I should have seen this coming," the older man laughed.

"if there's something I learnt in this 10 years, it is that compassion to people like them is only being ruthless to yourself and will only become your greatest stumbling block.... thank you Yamaguchi ojisama, for your guidance," he crushed another piece of a similar ring with the interior engraved with a word filled with forbidden memories...."Mirai"

*****
"Ayame... do you have any impression of the other person who saved you, besides that shinobi..." Daiki watched her faltering gaze as he whispered to her. 

"he's in a mask, so I'm not sure how he looked. but his presence gave off an aura that makes him hard to ignore and resist. he gives you the chills with his intimidating eyes yet he makes numbs your nervousness. everytime he stare into my eyes, I find it hard to conceal myself, as though he could read my thoughts like an open book."

"did he hurt you in anyway?"

"no, instead he was here personally to tend to my injuries. he seemed very meticulous and hands on, very different from other leaders... and Arioka-kun..."

"yes?"

"he commands his minions really well. perhaps because he is very down to earth. he doesn't seem like a bad person so I think Mirai-sama will be safe in his hands."

"You seemed to put in a lot of good words for him. did something happen to give you such good impression?"

ayame shook her head but her mind recalled the day when she was largely unconscious. it was blur but his subtle gentleness was felt and imprinted deeply in her heart.

"she has a number of broken bones but most importantly, her severe loss of blood has endangered her life...and she's not ingesting, she won't get sufficient nutrients to survive." she heard the physician say to the 2 men in the tent.

"actually, her life is not worth our effort. it's her master that we are interested in." the taller guy which she now recognized as Yuto said to the masked man who seemed to be the leader. The masked man propped closer to her and she quickly shut her eyes in case he notice her peeking. she felt her body stiffened as he ran her fingers across her forehead, brushing her fringe away from her face. his touch was gentle and unforgettable even at this point, and his voice was mellow and soothing.

"this young maiden... she has led a tough life. she has given her all to protect her master and her perseverance was amazing. this is the kind of quality that's rare and valuable"

"but she's of little use to us..."

"no one is of little use to us, Yuto. especially such sincerity is worth the extra effort... anyway, I'm sure her presence will make it easier for our new entrant to adapt."

"that's true..."

"so..."he turned to the physician and gave him an intimidating stare as though warning him, "make sure she's alive, or I cannot guarantee yours"

she felt his interest in her was too extreme but she couldn't figure out his agenda. the creeps he gave off made it hard to slacken, and it only worsens when he asked for a time alone.

"Yuto, excuse yourself for a while..."

she saw the taller guy retreated from the room leaving only her and him.

"I know you're awake."

her heart paused the moment she knew she was caught red handed. it was a scary experience when he paced nearer and looked at her sternly in the eye that has just pry open.

she found it tedious and too nervous to respond, and it seemed he understood.

"you don't have to be afraid. I'm won't kill you, as long as you don't lie to me. there are some questions I need to ask you, and I need your most honest answers."

she felt that he was at least polite in his questioning and he didn't make it very demanding. so she responded with a blink of an eye.

"what's your name?"

"Ayame..."

"sou... no family name, I guessed you are a typical maiden bought over by your master...no wonder you show such loyalty."

"they treat me well" she struggled to speak.

"I am sure they did. though I have no maidens to serve me, Yuto who is a shinobi leads a tough life before I found him too. maidens and shinobi, I don't think there's much difference. but the masters do make the difference... so I want to know yours a little more..."

"M...Mirai-sama... s-she... I'm scared..."

"ah Shida Mirai...the owner of the ring..."

Her eyes lit up with hope. "you, you know the ring?... please save her... please..." tears streamed from her barely opened eyes, and she tried to lift up from the bed but to no avail. the sharp pain strikes her wounds like having salt sprinkled over her opened flesh. his hands cupped her shoulders and pushed her back on the bed. 

"saving her is not a problem... but I have an issue with her lover though..."

"the first prince of Aoihoshi? Mirai-sama loves him a lot..."

"what if I demand that she cannot be with him....given you have been serving her for so long, what do you think her response will be?"

She didn't know how to answer, as she knew her lady will not give in to anyone who wants to take away the love of her life. Yet she was afraid that if she responded truthfully, the masked man will not save her anymore. She wanted to lie, but words couldn't come out of , it only trembled more and more.

"your silence has indicated your answer...." he filled in the blanks, making her even more anxious and pessismistic about the fate of her lady.

"no no...please listen to me, Mirai-sama, she's a very kind lady. She treats everyone sincerely, regardless of social class or outlook. she doesn't deserve to die. Please... I beg you to save her."

Even though her tears clouded her view, she could hear him smirking above her cries, but she couldn't understand why the mockery. He couldn't have known her enough to make a counterstatement.

"Ayame... do you think your lady's man, Kamiki Ryunosuke, can really protect her...or allow me to rephrase, do you think he will not hurt her...?"

Again, Ayame kept silence. She wasn't as blind as Mirai, she could get a sensing that all things carried out by the Independent Investigation Council didn't seem that simple, and she would have thought that Kamiki couldn't sit and watch his lover suffer as a fugitive. The marriage with Asuka Okamoto came also at a untimely period which he should clearly know that it would hurt Mirai, but still he never bothered to tend to her uneasy heart. A lot has changed, and it has become apparent to outsiders that Kamiki was no longer as concerned for his childhood sweetheart Mirai the same as before.

"No answer again. I'll take it as you do not know the answer, but I'll hope you discover the answer soon. You can't answer any of the questions I asked, neither did you lie, so I have promised not to kill you, instead I want you alive. How then can you repay your indeptedness to me? i don't do free service, even your lady's life was exchanged for something..."

Ayame searched through her messed up brain but her lowly background gave her nothing to offer. "I... I've got nothing..."

"how sad... I'll give you time to think of something then. Take care, and I would see you again, healthier and stronger" he covered the thick woollen blanket over her then gave her frozen fingers a comforting squeeze that channelled some warmth throughout her veins. but there was something bothering her that she cannot help but interrupt when he was on his way out of the tentage.

"sir..."

He stopped with his back facing her.

"what did my lady gave away in exchange for her life?"

Again, she heard him smirk, followed by a soft, sinister laughter. That was all she heard.

Despite his coldness and chilling speeches, he was forgiving and concern enough for a girl like her who could do nothing for him or help him in anyway. His minion was right, there was no reason to save her, and there was no use of her in whatever mission he may have, yet he saved her. For some reason, she didn't mind if he had used her, in fact she didn't mind if she enslaved to him. "Is that what I will offer to him? my freedom?"Then the answer is clear, she has given him his trust, and Daiki could see through her relaxed expression that the masked man and his minions have an unusual influence that could easily sway the hearts of others. Daiki knew these are the people who were most dangerous and powerful.

*****

Mirai POV

I was awakened by a chilling breeze that brush through the sides of my face, but not my limbs. The warmth that enveloped my body was of the right temperature which lifted some of my discomfort. I felt I was nested in a comfortable bed of nature with sounds of water drops from the morning dew. As I let myself relaxed into a dormant state, I was startled by the flashbacks of danger from my last consciousness. My very suicidal act that was miraculously stumbled by an arrow from a mysterious masked man whose eyes twinkle under the dim light was vividly carved in my heart.

"Kamiki!" I sprung up from my position and regretted right away as I suffer an excruiciating body ache all over my muscles. Still, I was hoping he responded to my call and tend to my uneasiness, but what greeted me was a sight too unfamiliar.

"w-who are you?" my voice trembled as the 2 men was startled by my unannounced screaming and closed in on me. My eyes swept past the bigger sized, middle-aged man who looked stern, to the younger man covered in a mask. It's him! the one who shot the arrow and brought me away... I didn't dare to convince myself he was there to save me cause up till now, he hasn't revealed himself. He looked dangerous yet if he has wanted to kill me, he could have done so when I was unconscious. Under the stream of light from the sun that illuminated the interior of the cave, I could analyse his minimally exposed features better. He wore a black suit with low cut shirt that flashed his juicy abs. His arms are well-shaped, not too buffed and not too skinny. His neck leading to his chin was alluring and seductive, his eyes was beady and full of emotions, as though it could tell a story just by looking, and in fact it could already make me tense beyond words. I felt my face flushed with heat but I quickly shrug away and reminded myself where my heart belongs. However, his unreserved intimidation got a whole level up when his palm reached out for my forehead. His unwavering eyes looked into mine; my eyes couldn't find a spot to look and became out of focused. It was embarrassing, but I figured it was unruly for any stranger to touch me without permission. I backed away slightly, and that action seemed to have intrigued the bigger-sized man.

"are you blushing my lady.... look how shy you are," the bigger sized man took over the spot vacant by the masked man and began teasing me. His hand cupped my chin and propped me closer for analysis like a subject under experiment. My fingers wrenched the sides of my clothes, and my heart was pounding fast. I was hoping the masked man could return to his spot by my side since he was clearly the better choice of the two. This other man appeared lustful, but his teasing made it even harder to look at the masked man in the eye.

However, my impression of the masked man as a gentleman was crumbled when I heard him mocking laughter, but it quickly dispelled as the approaching footsteps again triggered my fear. I could see the two men on full alert as their hands intuitively went for the swords secured beside them. The bigger-sized man went outside, and when he returned shortly, his eyes was focused and serious.

"both groups are here..." he announced. The masked man gripped me by the shoulders and held me up. The moment I felt as though he was handing me to the lustul one, I clutched his sleeves. I threw him a nervous look, hoping he would get my uneasiness, and fortunately he did. Moreover, I finally heard his voice.

"Lure them away. We'll meet at camp" the masked man said. albeit it was only 7 words, but I found his voice as mellow as Kamiki; it was alluring and soothing. on the other hand, the uncertainty grew in me as he used the word 'camp'..."where are you bringing me? why are there 2 groups coming after me?" I asked.

As expected, they had no intention to answer me. I didn't think it was wise to struggle since anything is better than instant death in the hands of the investigation council. The masked man secured my arm with his firm grip and pulled me to the horse. He was no longer gentle and his every gesture was demanding and assertive. He flung me up on the horse and hopped on easily, enveloping me in front of him with his strong arms. I recalled the same warmth, same minty scent and rhythmic pounding of his heart when he carried me the night he saved me. I glanced at him the way I did before, dazing at the crook of his neck and his leather mask and imagined how he would have looked without the cover. With such beautiful eyes, I would fascinate a charming man behind the mask, but nothing can beat the man of my dreams. Yet he made me crave for a time when Kamiki could secure me in the same way. The horse galloped against the wind, but I found myself speechless by his amazing riding skills which got us through the supposedly dangerous terrain of steep slopes and rocky fields. 

but even so, there are areas which the horse could not conquer. We continued by foot, running through bushes and dodging landslides and quicksands. His hand and mine entwined with each other naturally, as though it was second nature, and I was surprised it didn't give me the feeling like a stranger would. It was almost like I knew this firm grip from my dreams.

"DUG!" he suddenly shouted and pulled me into his arms. Right by my eyes, I saw an arrow flew past me and struck the tree trunk in front of me. I was overwhelmed by his protection and my gratitude for him. When we recovered into position, there was a swarm of men around us. Amongst them, I heard a voice that overshadowed the rest, one that revived my beating heart to normality.

"Mirai!" it was the soothing voice that called my name I heard repeatedly in my subconscious mind.

"KAMIKI!" I wanted to run towards him as soon as he appeared before my eyes, but the firm hand in mine didn't let go, instead tightened to a point i began to fear that he will not let me go.I looked at him, that beautiful eyes filled with mysterious air have vanished, what's remaining was a grim stare that instil fear through your every nerve.