Epilogue Part 1

Betrayal of the rising star

The man watched in distress as his wife beside her broke out in cold sweat. Asleep in his arms, she didn't feel at all as ease as she was haunted by the same nightmare that repeated every night for the past 5 years. Imagine the same dream that comes to you everytime you shuts your eyes, you became to fear going to bed even with your beloved by your side. The man pulled his wife sincerely in his tight embrace and tugged her cozily by his chest and kissed his forehead lightly in hopes to take away some of her scarred memories...

"I have been waiting for you..." the younger man told the older one.

"I apologise for being late. There were sometimes I had to take care of"

"You sure are busy, I barely got the chance to speak to you until now."

"congratulations, you got back what is rightfully yours."

"I wouldn't have done it without your help. I should formally thank you" The young man gave a formal bow, but when he lifted his head, his eyes were burning not with gratitude but with stern intimidation, and his lips curved in an obvious smirk.

"there are things you wish to tell me, my nephew? Perhaps you should just go straight to the point"

"We are alike, ne Uncle. We hate wishy-washy behaviours and we make sure we are swift and accurate in our attacks. But one thing different about us is, You're reckless, so reckless that you fail for 40 years of your life. It only took me 24 years to get what you have been fighting so hard for...aren't you jealous, uncle... Have you not hoped of asking me to give you what you wanted so badly?"

the older man let out a hysteric laughter, then said "what are you talking about? No uncle would take away what his poorthing nephew has achieved."

"Thanks for your consideration, but uncle, there's one reason why you never succeeded...pardon me for pointing out uncle... you are really reckless but what really failed you is your lack of caution. It makes you so easily read."

"oh really? what did you see through about me?"

he responded with a cynical laugh then probbed himself closer the older man and whispered in his ears "...everything..." the older man's face turned pale. Upon witnessing this, the younger one turned and paced confidently steps away and started recounting "the truth is... uncle, whatever you ahev calculating under your sleeves were already exposed before we even met 10 years ago. An uncle which my father had to send to exile forever, would mean he is nothing but a threat to the nation and most importantly...the throne. Human greed, isn't that hard to understand; Everyone has it, and such are values that are here for good. No matter how you try to eradicate greed, it is impossible. It is even more unlikely for someone like uncle who is already poisoned by greed."

"so...you already know..."

"You taught me so much, mental resilence, independence, schemes, swordsmanship and ruthlessness...Thank you for all of that; but like what you said... One should keep the enemy within side, and keep your friends away... That was the most valuable knowledge you passed to me."

"ah I see... so I dug my own grave."

"dont' say that, uncle. It was also partly because you never thought I was a threat. You think too lightly of me and that made it easy for me to put you within my grip. You are too expectable, uncle".

"then tell me what do you think I am about to do?"

"...I will not make a guess, but a statement of fact... after using me to kick those obstructions away, the next you need to do is to get rid of me. I present you the perfect opportunity to kill me and seize the throne as the only blood relative of the King left in this world..."

"yes, I should thank you for inviting me to this secluded woods."

"Uncle, I thank you for coming too..." the young one grinned then paced towards his uncle with his hands on the handle of his sword, ready to draw it. Likewise, the older man paced forward with a sinister laughter that made the heart chill.

"I taught you your swordsmanship, then if we were to strike at the same time, who will be first to strike the heart?" the older one challenged.

"shall we see on the silent count of three..." it was not just a test of speed, but a silent counting would also mean that a desynchronisation of counts would put one in a pedestal and the other in hell. the girl watched with her fist clenched in trembling fear, with her tears ready to jerk out of nervousness. but the outcome was not even close to what she expected. The 2 men exchanged confidence and unwavering glares, and in less than a blink of an eye, the swords were drawn, and it was almost at the same time that they leaped forward. The younger one striked first, the sharpened, blinding sword pierce through the chest of the older man and the latter let out a loud moan, followed by a hysteric laughter.

"s...so...that w..was your ingenious plan...truly,..you d-defeated m..me..." blood squirted out from his mouth and stained the shoulders of the young one whose body was leaned against his.

The young man, in an embrace with the older one, was not even quivering, was not even or groaning, was not even in any signs of distress or made perplexed by the excruiciating pain that should have been impossible to endure. A glistening smile was the only evident signs on his face. Streams of blood quickly soaked his top from where the sword pierce entirely through to his back. He surprised the elder one and the girl with a laughter that was strong and celebratory "...I w-won..."

The elder one pushed both the dying bodies away from each other and they each collapsed at least steps away. Even he let out a hysteric laughter, while the laughter from the younger one has slowly faltered. "y-you know.. I ...I always salute ...your bravery"

There was not a spot on the young one that wasn't stained with blood. The sword laid sturdily through his chest and he soon vomited thick blood through his pursed lips. His body suffered seizures and his temperature plummeted until his limbs were soon icy cold. Yet he held on to his breathe "u-uncle... t..the truth i..is... I never planned to walk out here alive... /coughed blood/... a-and...t-there's something you should know... I trained under the Yakuzas before I looked for you...t-they have taught me all I needed to survive in this world... b-but uncle.../he clenched his hands to endure the heavy breathing/ ... y-you are still someone I...I respect... even though it was all for show, I did feel that I wasn't alone cause there was you..."

The elder one continued to laugh until suddenly there was only silence... He passed out with a frown on his face.

"u-uncle..." the young one turned to his sides to look at his last kin and splurted blood once more. A drop of tear roll down the corner of his eyes and he held up the ring of his love and clenched it within his hands along with the band sewn with the name he will never forget. His mind flashed through memories of her, but the one who hold him in her arms wasn't her... He tried to focus with his blurring vision and he saw the lady give him the last comforting embrace and delusion her to be his beloved. He struggled to reach her tender complexion but when he did so, it felt different. His heart felll when it became clear she wasn't who he has hoped for. Yet he's grateful there was someone he could count on at his last breathe.

"You'll be okay.. hold on~ I'll get help!" the lady cried but when she was about to lay him down, he held her shivering hand.

"...it's too..late...d-don't leave me..alone"he begged with his voice so weak, he was almost whispering. She sensed his freezing body and his tears never stopped streaming from his eyes

"..please don't die...please" she hugged him tightly. His mouth curved in a delicate smile and his hand caught her rolling tears from her face. "..y-you should be happy for me... I ..am finally relieved of the burdens...y-you cannot imagine how h-happy I am t-that it has all ...ended.." The lady shook her head desperately in denial of the despairing words he spoke. She froze in shock when he coughed out more blood and the blood from his opened wound continued to spurt out without control. 

"wake up! don't sleep!" she shouted when she saw his eyes rolling and his lids growing heavier. His breathing became loud and irregular.

"...please... f-find someone who loves you better....a-and remember what you promised me..." he gave her a last smile and his hands fell off from her grip as if there's no strength for him to grab her fingers. His eyes shut with a last teardrop and the loud breathing paused. She cried bitterly for help but there was no sign of life from the man in her embrace anymore, yet his smile was the only thing that transcended life and death. It did not falter, it did not waver. It stays like a dazzle that shines so brightly.

"NO!!!!!" the girl screamed as she sprung up from her bed, from her beloved's arms, sat in an upright position, with her nightgown drenched in cold sweat. Her husband probbed himself beside her, with his arm stretched across her shoulder and brought her closer. He pushed her long hair drapped across her face to the back of her ears, and smiled at her face that glistened with tears. He caressed her cheeks with his warm hands and brushed those tears away, then leaned closer to give her a soft kiss on her lips that immediately took a nightmare away. Any endearment from him never fails to give her unlimited assurance and security. His voice was so soothing to the ears and such melodious to the ears.

"come here" he pulled her into his embrace and let her rest in his embrace, where his arms wrapped comfortably across her back. There she could feel her synchronised heartbeat and adequate warmth, that was enough for her. "nightmare again?"

She nodded lightly with her head nested on his broad shoulders. She heard a soft sigh beside her ears and knew she had worried him again. His bosoming grip around her back tightened and she felt more comforted.

"sorry again" he apologised with such tender sincerity that kept her heartbeating madly.

"don't say that...I thank you for being alive," she uttered while slightly pulling away and looking into his loving eyes. Both smiled with overflowing happiness and peace, then came a more serious note that has bothered him ever since they returned to the land beneath the same blue sky which has changed so drastically .

"are you sure you want to do this?" he asked.

"I have to... I promised, didn't I. We shouldn't let the misfortune perpetuate for her" she responded with determination. Proud of his wife, he pulled her back into his embrace and let her scent fill his senses. She reached her hands into her side pocket and crushed a ring within her clenched fist, the ring she never let of her sight. The engravement was a vivid reminder and a torture to her heart but the word on it can never mean the same to its owner.

Mirai 

*****

Mirai stood in a garden bed of cherry blossoms and an overhead of pink dancing in the wind, with her heart and mind fluttering in this beautiful scenery. The season for blossoming romance led her to admire those smiles on the faces of the couples which stood on the other end of the garden. She closed her eyes and let the feelings take over, but she still couldn't feel the smile on her face. There was not a hint of smile nor sorrow, as if her emotions have died 5 years ago. She stretched her hand and let the breeze brush across her fingers, then a petal of pink floated onto her opened palm. The supple surface touched her heart but before she tried to enclosed this minute happiness, it flew away with a gush of wind, just like how happiness has been taken from her.

"Daiki..." a tall man approached and gave a light pat to the shorter one, as they both stood behind a tree, observing the out of sync imagery of a lonely woman in a garden of springing of romance.

"it failed again?" Yuto asked without any tone of surprise, and the response from Daiki didn't come as a surprise either. The latter nodded in disappointment, while Yuto gave a motivating pat on his back once more.

"let me handle her. Don't worry."

"Thanks Yuto, you always manage to convince her."

"well, I wouldnt say convince... you shall just let Prince Hikaru know she'll be there."

"alright. Thank you. I shall go get ready all the necessary preparations. The ladies-in-waiting will go to her chamber and get her dressed up for the event," Daiki said before pacing away from the royal garden. Yuto, on the contrary, paced closer to the lady with his usual light steps.

"You're here, Yuto..." Mirai voiced without turning to look at him. Yuto let out a chuckle and said "I can't sneak on you anymore..."

"I have memorised your steps so yes, you can't sneak on me anymore" Mirai turned to him with a subtle smile.

"you should have seen the discouraged expression on Daiki's face," Yuto laughed.

"are you here for the same purpose...?" Mirai frowned slightly and lowered her head. Yuto, however, leaned forward and lifted her head with his fingers securing her by her chin such that she faced him.

"Our adorable Queen is pouting again, ne..." Yuto daringly pinched her sunken cheeks and it quickly reddened with a rosy tint.

"Itaiiii Yuto" Mirai gripped his arms and gave them light slaps which invited a round of laughters from both. Such cheeky interactions have been the norm for 5 years, and it was the only avenue to hear the rare sounds of happiness from the young Queen who will soon turn 28 today.

"Shall we take a walk, my Queen?" Yuto offered his arm and without hesitation, she wrapped her around his and they both proceeded with a serene walk across the field of pink petals. Yuto has become the only person who she let her alertness loose and was the only person she let into her inner feelings, perhaps because he was a gift of companionship from 'him'. Yuto was also her symbol of a living hope that hatred can dissolve into unwavering friendship.

Passing through the medium height trees, Mirai saw the mesmerised glares of the scattered females of middle and lower class royalties who were salivating over her personal guard. She let a smile of pride which Yuto noticed and mocked "you are quite possessive ne, Mirai-sama"

Mirai giggled and exclaimed proudly, "I have the most handsome guards Arioka Daiki and Nakajima Yuto by my side, and that is all I need"

"Nice try, Mirai..." Yuto stopped on his feet and pulled Mirai back to face his softened gaze. "Please reconsider this...I promise you this is the last time you have to attend this."

"No, I won't fall for this again. You promised me every year that it will be the last time I have to attend such daunting social events but you never fulfilled it," Mirai whinned.

"Really, this is the last. I will come up with a reason to push it away next year. Mirai, it's the goodwill of the neighbouring countries. They only wanted to give their blessings to such hardworking Queen who gave Aoihoshi a remarkable makeover."

"it's not only this isn't it... the most painful is the matchmaking...All those royal families kept pestering me with their sons, boasting how awesome they are, hoping that I give them a chance.They are such lustful creatures who almost gobbled me up last year, in case you forgot.. You know I hated that!" Mirai said irritatably which hinted to Yuto the need for a softer strategy.

"Well, then I suggest you keep Prince Hikaru close by. At least he can help you deflect all the thirsty bachelors. and If that is not enough, I promise you I'll be watching you closely; I won't allow any dirty hands to land a finger on you," Yuto winked.

"can we not bring Hikaru into the picture? I feel sorry for using him...I really do, Yuto," Mirai's saddened face was an indication that there was something else bothering her.

"what exactly did Hikaru tell you that night?" Yuto cupped her shoulders and looked straight into her glistening eyes.

"Yuto, he said he will wait for me until I'm ready to move on. He said he'll watch over me in the meantime... I told him not to, but he insisted, and he told me not to mind him."

"You trust me, don't you, Mirai?" Yuto asked with his unwavering glare into the deepest of her heart.

"you know I do...you know there's no one I would rather trust than you" Mirai responded without hesitation.

"then I say, you don't deny yourself of such chances to start anew. You and I both know Prince Hikaru is a good man and he has given his 5 years to you, helping you with everything big and small in the management of such a huge piece of land and yet asked nothing in return. He searched high and low for what you have been looking so desperately for, even though the success of his search would only threaten his position in your heart. All these aren't feigned to get you trusting him then cheat you off the throne. He needn't do all of this cause he is already the crown prince of a land even bigger than ours. if you think about it, the marriage of you and him would bring good fortunes to the people of Aoihoshi as they will reap the leadership of a great King and the peace their people has enjoyed for the longest history. But of course, my point is not about a political agenda but your happiness as the end goal."

Yuto knew he has jerked her emotions and he saw tears rolling in her eyes. He also knew she was trying hard to hold it back as she has sworn upon his grave that she would not show her weakness. But over the years, she has learnt a way to curb her cries and her painful memories of him.

"Yuto, could you lend me your back?" Mirai asked but before this, he already knew his service is required. He bend down and helped the small Queen climb on his back. One step after another, he piggybacked the tired Queen whose emotional burden was too much for her to take. She nested her head on his shoulders and he could feel her tears soaking his neck and his collar. She was hiding her cries, she didn't want anyone else hear or see this side of her, except the only person she has let in - Yuto.

"I'll go..." Mirai said with a cracking voice which ironically conveyed a sense of certainty. Yuto wasn't a least bit suprise he would accede to the request, neither does he feel happy for her decision, cause he knew she has forced it upon herself. He felt her tightened her folded arms aroung his neck and knew she was withstanding a heartache.

"Thank you, Mirai. It would only be an hour or two, then Daiki and I will bring you away from the palace, and we can spend the rest of your birthday out under the starry sky."

"Promise?" she held out a pinky finger, and he hooked his with hers as a sign of agreement between 2 like-minded friends bonded by the same loss.

After the soothing walk, he sent her to her chamber and there was already a line of 4-5 ladies-in-waiting who has whatever she needed to beautify herself for the masquerade ball held in celebration of the Queen's birth date. The table filled with superficial cosmetics, and glamorous gown of white and a star-studded mask with a golden feather at the tip.


Yuto noticed his lady's shoulders sunken in sorrows and her head lowered. Without another thought, he said to the maidens "I'll take care of the Queen. You girls can dismiss yourselves"

"Yes, Yuto-sama" the ladies-in waiting excused themselves, leaving only him with the saddened Queen whose head remains low.

"come..." he held her frozen hands and brought her to her bed and sat her down. He bend down so that he could see her fallen gaze and gave her his brightest confident smile and an assuring voice "I'll make you the prettiest Queen in the world." Mirai felt a sense of warmth that only Yuto was capable to make her feel. She intuitively returned a subtle smile and leave her to his care. His delicate services were the norm for her for 5 years, and every touch of his on her skin was carefully thought out with utmost respect to her feminist features and was especially tender-loving, that she would not second guess him nor felt shy revealing every part of her in his presence. It was almost inevitable that she would be reminded of the other man whom she will never forget, whose time with him is so short but yet every of his little affection is deeply engraved in her heart. It is no wonder the man who owned her everlasting love bestowed in Yuto, the duty of taking care of her.

 

 

Drapped in the glittering gown that wrapped her tamed soft skin bathed in rose petals and her nice permed hair that falls nicely across her bared back, she stepped into the lobby of the enormous castle that overlooked the land of Aoihoshi. Her powdered face with a rosy pink on her once pale skin and her lips tinted with a shade of red that was soothing to the eyes. Yuto deliberately left a finishing touch on her eyelids with a shimmering glitter which shone like stars in the night sky. She dazzled the eyes of the ladies-in-waiting and guards who stood in 2 rows at the entrance of the palace where a posh carriage welcomes its lady for the night. Right before the door of the carriage is a man as tall as Yuto, fully suited in a mesmerising black suit that clearly stole the hearts of the ladies who were equally strucked by the suaveness of Yuto. Mirai whose nervousness was growing within her, tightened her grip around Yuto's arm. Yuto took a quick glance of her and gave her a light squeeze on his free hand which to her was surely a sign to tell her that everything will be alright. With Yuto's indication, she let her heart be at ease. He passed her hands to Hikaru who most gentlemanly took her hands with pleasure and left a peck on her backhand. 

"you're really beautiful today, my lady" Hikaru said with his captivating eyes. Mirai blushed then quickly avoided his gaze. 

"thank you, Yuto. I'll take her from here," Hikaru said while helping her onto the carriage.

"I'll be close behind" Yuto replied when Mirai turned around with questioning eyes.

in the enclosed space with no one else except Hikaru and her, she helplessly hoped either Daiki and Yuto could sit in with her too. Hikaru looked at her from the opposite of her seat the whole time, making her flustered.

"you're really mesmerizing today...it's a pity it's a masquerade ball or else your beauty will steal everyone's hearts."

"I rather no one noticed me..." Mirai grumbled, but that alone tickled Hikaru.

"you're really one of a kind, Mirai...anyway, it's your birthday today, so your wish is my command. I'll make sure no lustful guys come serenading you later"

"thanks Hikaru," Mirai smiled graciously but that wasn't the only thing that Hikaru did to make her heart skip a beat.

"it's my pleasure. I wanted to ask though, is there something bothering you today?" Hikaru caressed her face and asked with an affectionate tone.

Mirai hypocritically shook her head a denial as she didnt want to disappoint him with her distracted heart, but such lies was already a giveaway to him. he saw through her feelings straightaway and knew the way to cheer her up. Hikaru was sure a man who captures the hearts of many, and if one do now know, one may mistake him as a Casanova. 

"hey hey, since it's your birthday, then don't frown. I want you to be happy, ne. and I think I've just the thing for you," he reached out for his pockets without shifting his gaze from her eyes. 

"heh?" Mirai exclaimed but before she could ask further, he placed a luxurious looking box which opens to reveal a dazzling diamond chain.

"don't just stare at it... pick it up," he teased. Mirai was too shocked and confused with this gift that she is stuck with gratitude and confusion.

"come let me show you what this chain is for..." he stretched his hand and reached into his pockets, retrieving a ring that has the initial R. he let the chain run through the ring, then he smiled to her. He sat beside her then let the chain run around her neck. Her body stiffened as she felt his warmth and sweet scent circulate around her. his tantalizing touch on the back of her neck gave her irregular heartbeats, then he heard a click sound by her ears. She looked down at her cleavage on her chest and she saw her her lost ring safely secured on her chest, giving it the maximum exposure to her heart. her eyes welled up with tears and her glistening eyes make her prettier in his perception.

"now, you can have the ring close to your heart all the time. you needn't worry about losing it" he caressed her cheeks which saw fallen tears and from droplets, it turned to unstoppable streams.

"how did you get it?... he t-took it back didnt he. you found him?!"

"oh no, i didn't but i thought i can get the blacksmith to replicate it. it may not be the real thing, but no one said you cant imagine it right... anyway, i have promiase you that i'll find the real ring and the owner of the ring so don't cry... I didn't give you that to make you cry. you'll ruined your beautiful makeup,"

"Hikaru... no one will ever do something like this for me. all they do is ask me to move on, but none has allowed me to be stubborn. you not only tolerated all of that, you also helped me search for the truth and even this gift. yet there's nothing I could do for you... I hate myself for this, sorry Hikaru... I'm really sorry for hurting you..."

"shhhh" he gave her a soft hug, enveloping her in his wide spread arms which enclosed her cozily within. She nested her head on his shoulders and muffled her cries until it finally stopped. he pulled away slightly and brushed away the tears. 

"it's okay, I don't expect anything in return. it's already kind of you not to push me away like the other bachelors so i take it as an indication I still have the chance in my hand. I'll continue to woo you so doing all these will put me in your good books, ne," he chuckled and she followed suit.

"see, you look prettier when you smile..." he pat her head lightly then faced the front while speaking "anytime you're ready to move on, just let me know. and if on any day you feel that my service is no longer necessary, don't hesitate to let me know, just don't hide from me or disappear without warning."

"I promise. thank you Hikaru..." Mirai gave her most dazzling smile that captivated him.

Soon after the carriage come to a stop at the entrance of a majestic building which was specially prepared for the ball tonight. She peeked our of her carriage, she saw the rows and rows of guards and royalties, all dressed and masked up, ready to welcome their highness, the Queen. She felt nervous but Hikaru gave her his hand which made her feel less tense. 

He then took her mask which was previously prepared and helped her strap it on. "wow... Yuto really thought of everything. the glitter outlining your eyes has magnified the beauty in your eyes. you will really steal the limelight today, though you are already one."

Mirai giggled at Hikaru's sweet compliments then she was shocked by his further gentlemanly acts "may I have the pleasure," he stretched his arm for her, and she wrapped hers with his without holding back. 

With the welcoming trumpet commencement suite and the bow of 45 degree, Hikaru and Mirai paced down the red carpet with pride. Mirai clinged onto Hikaru as she eyed the many curious and lustful faces ready to devour her. it was no doubt a birthday party for her, but the agenda was clearly to have the sons of the officials or of foreign lands marry her. Mirai irked every moment of it and she was clear that being by Hikaru's side give her that misconception she yearned. to be seen as the love interest of the heart throb Hikaru is better than anyone of them. Once in the ball, she felt like she was engulfed by a wave of people, many of whom she has not met in her life. Mirai clinged onto Hikaru like never before and occasionally eyeing Yuto and Daiki who were standing afar, remaining stern and concentrated while the butterflies got attracted to them.

She was struck by all sorts of questions from her deceased family to political matters and lastly about her marriage. almost always, they would ask "are you dating now?", "are you taken?", "my son is really awesome, he will suit you well. let me introduce you to him" however, with Hikaru in presence, these questions are much more toned down but the problems came went he had to excuse himself for matters.

"Mirai, I have some stuff to tend to. I'll get back to you as soon," Hikaru said to her, it was a statement, not one that seeks permission. 

"Hikaru~" she tried to hold him back but he was already out of reach. He returned her a reassuring smile. she silently cursed and he chuckled at her reaction. 

Mirai realised how she literally drowned in the amplified voices that surrounded her, once her shield is gone. the gossips by the ladies were difficult to ignore and were the most hurtful. especially one of the many overheard "she is so pathetic, almost like she's hung up for sale to the men. she's so desperate to get wedded."

Mirai clenched her fist as she mumbled to herself "I'm not desperate~ I don't even want to marry. dammit"

"pardon?" the few men and their parents were in the midst of a conversation with her and were unsure of what they heard.

"ah nothing..." but the situation she's in made her more perplexed than the gossips. upfront the mothers began assessing her body as though she was to be sold to a e house. "how's her bust?"

"it's not too big but giving birth shouldn't be an issue."

"she's too skinny..."

"our family can feed her well."

"ours can do it even better"

Then the sons were squeezing into her path causing her to lose her footing once in a while, and they would seize the opportunity to hold her shoulders or hands. Mirai was on the verge of tears in the stranded situation. just when she was about to cry out for help, a knight came aboard to save the damsel in distress. worn a tuxedo and a mask that covered half his face like everyone else, he cut into the path of the group of potential suitors and their families, making a distinct separation between Mirai and the rest. he offered a tray of wine that was nicely balanced on his one hand. His hand, hidden by his back, tried to usher her away, and in that instance, their hands became entwined with each other. The sensation was electrifying and was as if she knew this person. Mirai, followed as the person directed and is relieved from the agony of the many curious glances which assessed her like an experiment.

Mirai hid in one corner, taking deep breathes until she got shocked by Yuto's unannounced entrance.

"I thought I've lost you... thank goodness you're okay," Yuto exclaimed while leaning on the wall beside Mirai.

"all your fault... can't you see I was in distress. those people are driving me nuts, and there I was hoping you save me... luckily I have Daiki who is observant enough"

"Daiki? what did he do?" Yuto raised his eyebrow as if he was undermining Daiki's ability.

"well, he disguised as a butler and interrupted our conversations by serving some drinks, while signaling for me to leave," Mirai proudly but was later distraught by Yuto's disbelieving face.

"huh?! he can't possibly have done that. he's stationed outside to prevent intruders or threats to your safety. it doesn't make sense for him to leave his post and come help you, especially not in another attire."

Mirai was struck by the sudden relevation, and a whole lot of possibility ran through her mind but it only boils down to only her gut feel which was growing strong. She remembered the sensation the moment their skins collided and that tantalizing abrasion wasn't just a typical one but one that triggers her heartstrings and though there weren't many memories to draw from... but she was certain... that a certain miracle has just passed her eyes and if she don't go after it, she will miss it for life. 

"Mirai!" Yuto shouted as he couldn't stop Mirai who dashed out of the ball without warning as though she was possessed.

Once outside, she looked left and right, then located the butler dressed man who walked away as soon as he exchanged glances with her. 

"Chotto matte!" Mirai gave chase, with Daiki and Yuto behind her, confused of what she was in pursuit for. Frankly, the long dress that dragged through the streets, didnt help make her life easier. it was already a surprise that she could keep up with the man's speed and was even on the verge of reaching him if it wasn't because she tripped. she became less hopeful that he was who she think he was after seeing his extent of athletic, but this also means the question remains - who is that man who saved her?

the man turned back slightly when he hear her fall, he paused as if he was hesitating to help her or feeling remorse, and in that instance, their eyes met. there was more than mutual feelings that transcended, a sense of longing was unleashed too. as soon as that happened, the man faced the other way then ran off with the winds. Mirai struggled to get up but when she finally managed to, someone else has stopped her in the way. 

She found her own limbs trembling at the sight of the new introduction, while Daiki and Yuto who caught up from behind gasped. the latter guys stood behind a pillar as the 2 ladies appear in a confrontation rather than a reunion. 

"A...Ayame... h-how..." Mirai could barely make out the words with her trembling lips. Her eyes did not blink for she was afraid this was all a fragment of her imagination. she wouldn't allow this to happen so she threw her weight at her and hugged her with all her might, not allowing her to disappear. Tears streamed from both their eyes, and that of the onlookers but Mirai would least expect her heart would be shattered by the one she dearly missed.

"Mirai-sama...sorry I left you without even saying goodbye," Ayame said as she pulled herself apart slightly. 

"Ayame, do you know how much I missed you!" Mirai cried, then stopped as she recalled what was more important. "you should know what happened that day, back at the palace... tell me," Mirai cupped her shoulders and desperately asked.

"I'll tell you one thing that you really want to know..." Ayame said, then Mirai eyes brightened up, only to be disappointed in the next moment. "Ryosuke-sama didn't make it." Everyone who was listening gasped when the only possible witness dashed all their hopes. Mirai didn't want to believe what she heard. with a hardened expression, she insisted a clarification "what do you mean he didnt make it?!!!"

"he's dead, Mirai-sama... that's the truth!" Ayame exclaimed without hesitation. 

"no no no! you're lying! it's because you like him so you are hiding him from me!"

"why are you still so stubborn like before! you never changed Mirai-sama... and you promised you would for him, isn't it. but it's still the same you, persist on your ways without considering the strain you add on others! have you spared a thought for your people who feel unsecured that Aoihoshi will remain without an heir after you pass! have you considered how Yuto and Daiki have to help you search for answers that you wish for, how they have to be constantly thinking of ways to lighten your mood. this could all be avoided if you hadn't been so stubborn!! let me tell you, even if he is alive, he wouldn't see you, he wouldn't want to be reminded of you! you're so selfish, why do you have to incur pain to everyone!" Ayame exclaimed without holding back at all. Yuto wanted to dash forward to give Ayame a piece of his mind but Daiki hold on to him.

Mirai's cries permeate every corner of the street as she felt the pain from every statement Ayame made about her. it wasn't an insult, but it was difficult to digest. on the one hand, she would die for Ryosuke to return to her side, on the other hand, it's true her stubborn persistence will only bring pain to everyone around her. her mind was in conflict, her headache was agonizing. just as she lowered her gaze, something shinning caught her attention. it was on her 4th finger, and it soon came to light that perhaps the chapter has already ended and everyone else has moved on except her. she fell into a dead silence, and it became worrying that the trauma was too unbearable for her to take. Ayame broke the silence with her stern expression, "start afresh and stop brooding over the past. you can't go back in time and undo your mistakes or regrets so live with it and try to avoid the same mistakes. that's life. I wish you the best, Mirai-sama."

As Ayame turned away, Mirai interrupted with a soft, weak voice... "you're married?"

Ayame nodded without turning to face her, then walked away heartlessly. Mirai was devastated with the one and only truth that seemed to take shape in her mind. there's no need for clarification cause in her heart, a verdict has been reached and nothing can hurt more than her husband is now somebody else's. she looked at her own fingers which were not bounded by anything, while the one on her neck was nothing but a blatant lie to people and herself.  She collapsed on the ground, kneeling with no energy in her to fight the emotional fatigue. At the sight of this, Yuto and Daiki ran forward and secured her by her shoulders, trying to lift her back onto her feet but it only seemed as if she was too tired to stand up. She did not cry like just now, yet she was extremely quiet and her eyes dazed into the midair as if possessed. Yuto and Daiki shook her to bring her back to her senses but to no avail. it was almost like her soul was not there. her expression scares the 2 and they began to panic when after minutes, there's still no response. 

The mysterious man stood hidden behind a pillar, out of sight from everyone else, witnessing the whole confrontation. He brought his hand against his heart and clenched it tightly as his internal seemed to be torn apart. Warm tears trickled down his eyes like streams from the amazon river, unstoppable and heartbreaking. His other hand clutched his mouth and muffled his cries, retreating himself into the shadows and away from the depressing scene and enclosing in an insufferable silence. 

"Mirai..." Yuto and Daiki looked into her eyes, hoping to see some reaction, but the reaction was nothing they hoped for. With her fist clenched tightly, she coldly said, "Don't let her get away~"

"huh?!" her 2 personal guards claimed in shock.

"I said FOLLOW HER and ARREST HER! I WON'T LET HER GET AWAY WITH HIM!" Mirai shouted while fighting back her tears. Yuto and Daiki weren't able to react immediately cause this harsh instruction has never occurred to them. They knew Mirai wouldn't let any chance of finding him slip away, but what could they do? Arrest the former lady-in-waiting who has went through thick and thins with them. In the midst of their hesitation, Mirai's patience reached her limit.  

"if you guys are not going to do it, I am going to do it myself!" she picked herself up from the ground but her puffy dress made it difficult. However, she didn't have to do it herself cause a strong pair of arm stretched out for her. Mirai looked up and saw her knight in white horse beside her, with a smile so bright, it fills in the place for the sun.

"Hikaru~" she cried with her heart melting with gratitude.

"Mirai... If they are not doing it, I will. I have promised you, and I will not back out on my words. Tail after her, you may find the answer you need... but if there isn't, it is your wish to continue finding. I will follow your wish," Hikaru says with confidence, though Mirai knew his heart was breaking as well. She was reminded of Ayame's words that she has hurt so many people with her obstinance. The moment she took his hand and leaped up on his horse, she looked at his seductive backview and made a personal vow... "if I find no answer I desire by the end of this mission, I shall take it that Ryosuke is dead and forever gone from my heart... I shall hurt no more person, and I shall love Hikaru with all of me." Mirai wrapped her arms around Hikaru's turgid abs while the horse galloped through the busy marketplace until it couldn't go forward anymore. He held her hands, while they walked through the crowd, with their eyes fixated only at the lady whose footsteps seemed heavy as though she too has something bothering her.

"be careful, I don't want you to get hurt while we are here. The marketplace is a really messed up place. Beggers, Yakuzas, everyone from the lower caste is here. They aren't the royalty's best friend so you must stay close to me," Hikaru grabbed her hand tighter and pulled her closer. She gazed into his side profile, and felt the slight resemblance of the exact occcurence with the one from her past. "stick close to me,"  the voice echoed in her mind and was deafening to her senses. While Hikaru triggered the deepest of her memories, she could feel the stark difference between the 2. The pressure on her fingers enclosed within his was surely one that didn't make her heart fluff like the one from her past. She hid her emotions and convinced herself otherwise. Hikaru noticed her disappointed face, but was careful not to show his own disappointment to the already forlorn lady. He was troubled by something else...the direction Ayame was going, wasn't to where the residential areas were, neither was it where she could shop. It was where the lowest of all caste, the labourers were. With her dressing, he was sure she wasn't one, but why then is she making her way there. Her pace was slow, and she took many breaks, and it was only after almost 3-4 hours of walking that it finally seemed that she was stopping. Hikaru took a quick glance at Mirai who was dead tired by now.

"Mirai, climb on my back, I'll piggyback you. Besides, the ground is very unstable. You can trip," Hikaru stopped and asked considerately.

"it's okay..." she barely smiled and her eyebags and swollen eyes were the only things evident on her face. He was barely convinced, but had to go on anyway. The strong stench of sweat and trash lingered in the air and caused grave discomfort to the 2 royalties. Mirai was more determined, and she never hesitated in the process. She never thought much as well, while Hikaru began to expect the worst has yet to come and that he predicted the truth will hurt more than if it remained a mystery. The coming revelation wasn't far from his predictions. Both frowned with questions flooding in their mind when they saw Ayame as sneaky as they were, hiding behind a huge crate. She was eyeing someone, someone in front of her. Among the many half-dressed labourers, each drenched in sweat, with dirt smudged across their faces and bare bodies, was someone of Ayame's interest. She hid for a long time, until a labourer who passed by talked uncouthly.

"damn...HOW MANY TIMES MUST WE TELL YOU TO STOP COMING. YOU KNOW THIS PLACE IS NOT FOR YOU LADIES!..."

"sorry~" Ayame bowed profusely as though afraid she will be bashed. Hikaru and Mirai knew this wasn't the first time she was here, but that doesn't clear their doubts. The commotion has attracted the crowd of labourers at Ayame's original line of sight, then one of the many came running towards her. There was a distance between Mirai and the labourer who came to Ayame, it was difficult to discern his identity especially with the shagged and filthy image he portrayed.... no, it was an excuse cause Mirai could recognise that body she once touched with her bare fingers, every scar, every spot, every curvature, every muscle, but it was too absurd to be certain of his identity. Her limbs turned cold as she fought the truth.

But once he opened his mouth to speak to Ayame, she felt her heart stopped thumping, yet ironically the excruciating pain could be felt from her heart and spread across her whole body. The tears she has tried to fight back, were switched on like a blasting tap, streaming continuously. She cupped to break her cries, but it was difficult. Hikaru didn't need any explanations, he knew she found her answer, and it was truly to shocking to people who knew the labourer. Hikaru held her by her shoulders while he felt her trembling body as they stood still to ascertain the absolute truth.

"Ayame, please don't come anymore...it's dangerous" his softer voice opposed to the other uncouth labourers travelled a distance and was melodious to Mirai's ears.

"I'm sorry, I tried my best," he held Ayame's arms as though she was about the kneel for forgiveness.

"I know you tried. You did well. Thank you."

"you were there?" 


Before he could answer Ayame's questions, Mirai could no longer endure silently. She let out all her buildup anxiety in a single word that she hasn't uttered so bravely for a long time. "RYOSUKE!"

The labourer turned around, face front at Mirai, and there was no denying of his identity anymore. Mirai could never mistake the face of the man who appeared in her dreams, even though it has been blurring over time. He has grown thinner, but his abs was more defined then before and his veins were protuding seductively, however the scars on his body have increased exponentially. While his charm hasn't diminish and his looks were still mesmerising, his outlook was no different from the labourers who were dirty and sweaty. The shine in his eyes have turned into a looming shadow casted by his exhausted eyebags. Wrong, it wasn't just his eyes that revealed the fatigue, the whole of him looked so heartbreaking.

The labourer didn't admit, yet didn't deny. He stood there, with their eyes in a deep exchange. She saw his fist clenched and his jaw tightened, then he turned around and ran in the opposite direction as if he was set to escape from the scene, escape from her.

"RYOSUKE!!" Mirai picked up her speed and ran across the field. Ayame caught her and stopped her from chasing.

"LET GO!" Mirai shouted and tried to struggle out her grip, but she was too weak as opposed to Ayame. Fortunately, there was Hikaru who gave unconditional support.He freed Mirai from Ayame's strong grip easily and gave Mirai a smile which was clearly transmiting a message "I'll be rooting for you. Good luck, Mirai..." Mirai looked into Hikaru's eyes with gratitude and returned him the prettiest smile she could.

"RYOSUKE, ISN'T THE SAME PERSON YOU KNEW BEFORE ALREADY. HE MAY HAVE SURVIVED THAT DAY, BUT IT HAS INCURRED UNREPAIRABLE DAMAGE TO HIM!  HE HAS HIS REASONS FOR NOT SEEING YOU. CAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT YOU TO SEE THE STATE HE IS IN! DO YOU THINK IT IS EASY FOR HIM?! HE HAS BEEN FIGHTING HIS YEARNINGS TOO, BUT MEETING YOU WILL NOT DO ANY GOOD! NO MATTER HOW HARD IT IS FOR HIM, HE INSISTED IN STAYING AWAY FROM YOU!"  Ayame cried loudly. Choking on her tears, she pressed on to finish the most important part of the details, "RYOSUKE CAN'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU ALREADY, MIRAI-SAMA..."

Mirai stopped on her feet and turned for further clarifications. "w-what do you mean?" she tightened her jaws as she braced herself for the worst.

"he..."

*****

72606_600.jpg

"Ryosuke~" Mirai called out as she caught up with Ryosuke. It wasn't because she was fast in her chase, but the person she was chasing wasn't agile anymore. With his back facing her, she could see him panting profusely. "please don't run from me..." she cried as she approached closer.

"DON'T COME CLOSER!" he shouted while gasping heavily to catch his breathe. "ONE MORE STEP, I'LL MAKE SURE YOU NEVER FIND ME ANYMORE!"

"Please... Ryosuke..." Mirai couldn't bear to watch him with the distance separating them.

"I'm dirty, I'll stain your pretty clothes, I'll disgrace you...so please just ignore me, and go..." he said with a faint voice, so faint that it didn't finish... Right in front of her eyes, he collapsed.

"RYOSUKE!" Mirai ran forward and carried him in her arms. When her arms wrapped around his top, he realised how cold his torso and hands were. She brushed his bangs away from his forehead, revealing his tired face and she saw how faint his lips was. She felt her heavy heartbeat and irregular breathing and his deep frowns, she was sure he was struggling. "Ryosuke... I'm here...I'm here for you...just like you would for me," she caressed his face and caught a fallen tear from his tightly shut eyes. She stood on her feet than pulled him over her back, with his lifeless arms dangling on both sides of her narrow shoulders. With her frail body, she carried him on her back, with his head nested on her sunken shoulders and his heavy breathes brushing through her neck. Every step she took was difficult, but she didn't stop. Not once, did she mind him dirtying her white dress. She didn't feel like he was any of the labourers, cause she found herself immersed in his ironically sweet scents emitting from his sweat and beneath his exposed skin. Deep in her heart, she was praying, praying for sympathy from Kami-sama, praying that Kami-sama could transfer some of his pain to her. His body received a steady flow of warmth from her and even though it was in his subconscious mind, he felt secured.  

 

 

*****

Hi readers! again, I think my story stretched a little long. so I shall conclude only in the next chapter. I brought in one more character - Hikaru! Enjoy... and i hope the twist to the story has kept you breathless again.! :D hope for your comments once again, and THANK YOU!