Chapter 3

Betrayal of the rising star

"You can let me go now!" I shouted to the masked man, but he didn't waver. He was determined to trap me, from the look of his eyes. This initial serene look from his eyes have transformed to a fearless monster. I looked at Kamiki, helpless. Deep in my heart, I needed Kamiki to save me from the hands of this man whom I cannot figure.

In another corner, I saw Yuya and his men. I was genuinely shakened. I needed to go to Kamiki but in my current situation, it is either I die in the hands of this masked man or I die in the hands of Yuya if I am not careful.

"I see, we meet again Kamiki Ryunosuke..."the masked man exclaimed with a grin on his face. They met? I wondered, but it seemed I wasn't the only one who was surprise by his words. Yuya, in particular seemed fearful when he heard those words. The younger prince glanced at the eldest with suspicious eyes, as though expecting some dubious ploy between the masked man and him.

"aniki, why did you meet him for?" he blurted out the question which further hinted his anxiety. It made me think twice what business did Kamiki have with this man. Perhaps, I have the same burning questions as Yuya.

"Don't spout nonsense, why would I meet you...?!" Kamiki shrugged away the man's claims as though they were baseless and unfounded. For some reason, I saw Kamiki's eyes avoiding his. I saw Kamiki's flickering gaze. He was unsure, he was afraid, afraid of being discovered? but what is he hiding? Then, the man came stronger with his words.

"shall I remind you our meeting earlier... about enlisting my help, to form an alliance to supress your younger brother... is that right, Kamiki Ryunosuke?"

"ANIKI! how could you?!!!!" Yuya shouted in anger. I am certain that this man is trying only to sow discord between the siblings, how could Yuya be so dense to believe a word this person is saying. 

"It's not true! he's lying!" Kamiki rebutted, then tried to distract away from the topic "LET GO OF MIRAI! YOU'LL REGRET IF YOU DON'T! I could easily kill you with you alone"

"I'm sorry, if it's her you want, I can't give in.... how many times must i say, I have told your men that I have more business with her than any of you," he said with a sinister voice which sounded like an outright claim of possession over me. i was infuriated and that fleet of emotions made me recall the only source of hope hidden under my sleeves. I reach out for the dagger but I didn't have the guts to draw it, so I waited for my chance. Moreover, I wanted to know why the man has such confidence when claiming rights over me.

"You must be crazy...just hand over her!" Kamiki warned again.

"Let me go! I don't know you and I have no business with you!" I second Kamiki's motion. Again, his laughter suprised me.

"I guess you need to see this first..." he drew out something from his pockets, and when I took a close look, it was the same ring...no it's not the ring my father gave to me, it was similar, but what is shocking was the engraved text within the ring... 

"my name?" my voice trembled as I saw the word "Mirai" clearly carved in the interior. I looked at him with confusion "how is it possible? this ring... it looks like a pair with mine..."

He smirked then replied obnoxiously, "it is a pair.... Your ring is engraved with Y.R and mine with your name....The day your father passed you the ring, he has betrothed you to me, my dear"

I was in utter shock. My face pales in comparison and my limbs felt weak. There were so many questions I want to ask my father and they are all jumbled in my brain, making it hard for me to breathe and digest the information overload. How could I be betrothed to someone I don't know. Why would my father sell my freedom to some lowly guy who feign to be a vigilante but in fact is a despicable man.

"NO! You are being ridiculous! how can I be with you?! You are a nobody! My father will not do that!!!! Kamiki, don't trust him... he's trying to pull a fast one. my heart is only for you" I shouted back desperately. Everyone was in confusion but I cannot afford them to think twice about the nonsense he said.

"Mirai..." Kamiki called my name with an undertone of sadness. I was beginning to feel impatient, I need to release myself from this incorrigible man soon. But the of his revelation has yet to come.

"sou, I knew you would bring up the compatiblity issues typical of people who think so highly about class and ranks...then I shall disappoint you again, cause I am definitely compatible with a lady like you, just like your dear highness."

He reached out for his mask with his freehand then removed it steadily, revealing his face bit by bit. It was as I imagined, the man behind the mask was as dazzling as his eyes. His features were sharp and refined, his beauty was captivating. I couldn't help but take a second glance. The aura, the confidence, the vibe he gave off, was almost likened to a royalty...no it cannot be. I saw Kamiki and Yuya exchanged glances of uncertainty, and they seemed unsure of who they are facing.

"you are.? no...it can't be.... you can't be him..." both of them murmured under their breathe.

"I apologise for not introducing myself earlier, and I don't blame you guys for not recognising me at first instance. I did change alot since the last time we met. I'm back aniki.... "

"R...Ryosuke....?" I heard the two brothers uttered in unison. the name was so vaguely familiar. I tried hard to remember where i have heard before, then it hits me that he was the third prince of Aoihoshi, Ryosuke Ryunosuke who was banished from Aoihoshi a decade ago for reasons not revealed. I personally have not met the third prince, hence it did not come as a surprise that I could not recognise him. He has always been a mysterious character even within the palace grounds. It seemed that no one ever speaks of him, and many have not seen him. The sudden banishment also shocked the country as he was the only one amongst the royalty to be sentenced to such harsh punishment. There were rumours I heard from my father that he was guilty of heinous crimes like harrassing the daughter of a foreign delegate, and it didn't seem like an unbelievable tale after meeting him.

"why are you here.... you should be out of Aoihoshi..." Kamiki's voice was trembling more than before. Never have I seen Kamiki so afraid, it all became more and more bizzare.

"well welll, it required me almost a decade of hardwork to make a comeback in Aoihoshi. and I can't thank my brothers enough for helping me realise the true nature of this world. In case you wonder, I have not forgotten what the 2 of you did to me 10 years ago, and I will not be able to forget. I will repay the 2 of you double the effort you guys put in. So now that you know, I can tell you that you will not see the last of me yet. You can of course kill me now, but I want to remind you that things have changed drastically overtime, and I cannot guarantee what your people will hear about their leaders if something were to happen to me now."

I saw Kamiki and Yuya putting down their weapons and taking steps back the instance he finished his statements. Soon after, the minions started retreating, leaving me still stranded as his captives. It is now or never. the opportunity for me to make a break and run towards Yuya while the latter has slackened. I tightened my grip of the weapon.

"WHOEVER YOU ARE, I AM NOT GONNA MARRY YOU! I AM NOT YOURS, NOT NOW, NOT EVER!" I held my breathe then recklessly slashed the dagger through his arms. He let out a gasp and his grip around me loosened. In the corner of my eyes, I saw his eyes turned vengeful, but I have no time to stop and think. The blood that gushed out from his arm was an indication for me to escape while I can, and indeed I was hopeful when I saw an opened route to Kamiki. I never expected him to be stun for long, in fact I expected him to recover quickly so I have no time to lose. Running with all my might, I dashed towards Kamiki who stretched out his arms for me...but still, I was overly underestimating the capabilities of my captor.

I felt something heavy crashed upon my stiff neck and before I passed out, I saw a smoke of powder surrounding us, greatly reducing the visibility. I could not see anyone before my eyes, not even my own fingers. All I could feel was a tough arm that wrapped around me, then I was lifted from the ground, hanging upside down. I lost consciousness, but I knew my fate was bleak.

****

"Your highness, we lost her again" Yosuke reported to Kamiki who sat on his horse surrounded my his guards.

"Yuya didn't get her too, did he?"

"no. I believe she is still with Ryosuke-sama."

"as long as she is not held captive by Yuya, we still have a chance."

"but Ryosuke-sama, he is our biggest threat now, isn't it? He sounded like he was here to seek revenge"

"it is hard to say, but I don't want to take my chances. What I cannot figure out is why did Shida Abi passed her daughter to him? He should know that Ryosuke would not protect her after what she did to him a decade ago."

"is that why you aren't afraid of her landing in his hands?"

"yes, I am sure he wouldn't let her off. so i can be sure she wouldn't mess with my plans with Shida Manor for the time being. We can deal with her later while we get the stubborn old chap to admit the crimes."

"would he use Shida Mirai against us?"

"Shida Mirai is almost useless without her father. If he wants to seek revenge against us, I doubt he will find use of her. Therefore, it is crucial for us to hasten the interrogation of the Shida Manor, then execute them before he can try anything funny. Yosuke, I trust that you get this done before my marriage with Asuka Okamoto."

"yes, your highness."

"and... I want you to find out what Ryosuke is up to and keep a close eye on him. Don't let him try anything funny while I think of a way to rid this irritating guy once and for all. We should have got him a death sentence when we have the chance to 10 years ago, instead of a mere banishment."

"I will do so, right away," Yosuke turned his horse around and summoned a few of his elite guards away from the main clique.

Kamiki looked into the distance and dazed in the clear sky, with a soft mutter "Gomenasai Mirai, you will forgive me ne. It is the survival of the fittest.... I wish you stay naive as you are now, then you could save me the trouble. 

*****

Ryosuke POV

"Ryosuke!!!" a voice echoed across the woods and I could see a tall figure from amongst the shadows. This build is impossible not to recognise. I hollered to him as I carried her across my shoulders with my free arm bleeding profusely from the merciless stab she inflicted on me. I was thankful that Yuto showed up cause it was becoming more tedious to restrain the struggling lady.

"Oh goodness, your arm... how did it happen?" Yuto was concerned and was meticulously trying to analyse the wound.

"LET ME GO, YOU INDESPICABLE JERK!" she continued to jab me on my back with her fist and my tolerance has grown over the limits. I flung her down from my shoulders and pushed her onto a nearby tree trunk. Even if it hurts, she held in her pain as I wrenched her wrist in my hand. She bit her lips in retailiation and that sort of perseverance made me even more furious. I bore a grudge against her attack amongst other things that I could not forgive her for, her face free of guilt but pride and honour, made me boil in anger. My palm raised intuitively and a tight slap landed across her face, leaving her cheeks red with a imprinted palm mark. The corner of her lips stained with a tint of blood and a drop of tear rolled down her swollen cheeks.

"Ryosuke~" Yuto murmured in shock as he has never seen me treated a girl with such violence. 

Instead of letting out a cry of pain, she clenched her fist to distract herself from the pain and said with dignity "I will not forget what you did...I will make you pay."

"so be it... I will see what you can do..." I grip her by her jaw to make sure she looked at me as I spoke, but she rudely spat on me. I pushed her harshly onto the ground then turned to instruct Yuto.

"chain her up in her chamber. Unless with my order, no one is to release her or see her!"

We exchanged an intense glance of vengence which none of us wavered. I tightened my jaw and glared directly into her eyes as I warned, "I will see how you can keep up with this attitude in the state of isolation and desperation."

"You!!! I hate you!!!!" she shouted as Yuto pulled her away towards the base. As soon as the two of them disappeared from my sight, the pain from my arms took over as much as the pain in my heart from the heartless three words which I cannot tolerate. I should have been used to such hatred against me, I was never in anyone's good books, especially not her.

I grabbed my bleeding arm with my other hand, in attempt to stop the blood but it only ooze out in between my fingers. I shut my eyes as I tried to suppress the mental pain. I didn't want to worry my comrades and I didn't want to show this side of me. I should only appear strong and only so then they would not fear me anymore. Not even my most trusted comrades. But recently, I thought of one person I might just show my weakness to, cause this person reminds me of myself in the past. The me who treats people with utmost sincerity but ask for no return, the me who is despised and ostracised, the me who didn't seem to fit in, I thought I saw that side of me in her. I stumbled across the tentages and finally arrived at the one near the back. I pulled open the blinds and stepped in unannounced, and it wasn't surprising she was startled by my entrance.

"sir..."

The chubby girl turned back with her eyes quickly noticing my injured arm.

"oh gosh... sir... you are hurt! we need to get you treated" she fumbled first then rummaged through the drawers for the medication. I let myself sit on the sides of her bed while she brought over the bandages and ointment.

I observed her silently as she meticulously dressed my wounds, first cleaning then applying the ointment, lastly bandaging. Each step was sincere and gentle. She was so engrosed that she never realised I was intensely looking at her.

"it is quite deep but luckily it didn't hit your bones" she said and only then did she raised her head and looked at me. When she realised I was looking at her all these while with my unwavering eyes, I saw her blush. "i-is something wrong? w-why are you looking at me?" I could tell her body was tense and rigid. I was tickled by her awkward gestures and it did help me lighten my mood slightly.

"Ayame...you remind me of myself..." I told her truthfully. Somehow, I feel like I didn't have to feign in front of her. It was almost like I think it is okay to show her my true self.

"sir...i will be honoured to be your listening ear..." she said daringly. Frankly, I was taken aback by her fearless statement, but it was a good shock.

"you are not afraid of me?" I asked curiously.

"I do... but sir, you don't seem to be a bad person..."

I looked at her in the eye and we had unknowingly closed the distance between us and are sitting beside each other without reservations.

"I don't even know what kind of person I am already. I used to know but since long ago I began to feel foreign of myself... Ayame, I used to be like you, thinking the world can't be that bad if I treat everyone the way I want them to treat me. I thought if I am nice to everyone, everyone will do likewise to me... then I realised how wrong I was. People are born to manipulate others, and it is people like you who are kind that becomes their target of manipulation. Our kindness and innocence become our ultimate weakness and we gradually become trampled and entrapped in their game where we become their pawns. Ayame, there 's one thing i want to teach you for surviving in this ruthless world, is every man for themselves. Your closest friend may become the person who hurt you most"

"sir...have you ever been hurt before?"

I stared at my neatly bandaged arm and I knew she was looking to. Her presence made me pour out every secret I have ever concealed. 

"there was this good friend of mine... she never detested me like others, she never ostracised me because I was fat and ugly, she never shun away from me because she thought I was from a different social class. I never thought it mattered who I was since no one ever treats me a belonging to the elite class. but after knowing her for long, I was set to tell her my true identity if given a bit more time.  She painted a fluffy picture of the world for me, making me think that the world is nice as I have believed. even if my own family treated me like trash, even if everyone else gave me a hard time, when I see her smiles, I can instantly forget my sorrows..."

"what happened to her?"

"one incident made me realised how vunerable, how fake this world can be. I thought we could trust each other, or at least i naively think that she would trust me after all we have shared, but turned out she was like everyone else, clouded by preconceived judgement. I didn't mind that we were the subjects of manipulation this time, as long as we can circumvent the misunderstandings those bastards plant on us, but she trusted them so easily. She pushed me away without even listening to my explanation. She was so eager to cut ties with me that I thought perhaps the friendship was in the first place unrequitted and only my wishful thinking."

The moment I saw the sympathy in Ayame's eyes, it reminded me of how I have been so careless in front of her. I quickly retracted my overwhelming emotions and sprung up on my feet.

"sir..." she called out to me and paused as if hesitating. then she spoke "

 

"is the person the one who hurt your arm too?"

He smirked and exited the room with only a statement, "thank you Ayame."

Ayame looked down at her hands which touched those bloody wounds of the masked man who has shown her the most vulnerable side of him. She found herself smiling subtly as she reminisced the toughness of his skin.

****
Mirai sat against the twilight, stranded in a enclosed place there no matter how hard she tried, she will not be able to break free. she faced the four walls of the chamber with only a small window with thick steel bars that separated her and the outside, disabling her from seeing the continuous free sky. she dazed into space, out of focus, out of mind, with only her vengeance keeping her awake in insomnia. the dried blood from the tip of her cracking lips reminded her of the unforgivable slap and she left it untended as a retaliation. more than that, she cannot accept the forced marriage with someone she didn't know and whose attitude she considered that of a brute dictator. 

She tightened her fist so much so that her palms are reddened and wrinkled. Nothing hurts her more than the freedom and happiness being extracted from her, by the chains that cuffed her wrists and feet. She cried with no tears shed, she screamed with no sound made. her heart wailed but no one could console.

"otosama.... why did you do this to me? do you not love me?" she uttered in her mind, while pounding upon her broken heart and soul, then calling the name of her love "Kamiki... please save me from the hands of the evil. I'll wait for you"

"... and you still think he'll come? he's probably busy preparing for his marriage already!" Yuto entered her chambers with a tray of food on his hand.

"badmouth him for all you want, I do not give a damn about what you say. I believe him and that's enough."

"oh really... then perhaps you'll think twice when you see this." Yuto rummaged through his pocket and retrieved a copy of a public announcement flyer that was distributed across town. the words on the flyer were big and visible enough for Mirai to see despite her face turned away. She couldn't believe her eyes, but she couldn't ignore the words as if it was all fake. the words spoke harshly to her as if slapping her twice harder than she endured from Ryosuke. "Royal Engagement of First Prince of Aoihoshi Kamiki Ryunosuke and Lady Asuka Okamoto of Okamoto Manor"

if she couldn't cry earlier, she could now. unstoppable streams rolled down her eyes, and her once stained lips had been washed by her fallen tears. She wrenched her heart with her bare palm and squeeze as if she was struck by a heart seizure. 

"I suggest you go along with my master's proposal cause your resistance does you no good. there is much more to Kamiki Ryunosuke that you do not know... such as..."

"shut up! go out! leave me alone!" with her cuffed wrists, she pushed whatever within reach towards Yuto. He had no choice but to take a few steps back. 

"you can shut everyone up, but only you will get hurt if you deny what remains a fact! the fact is you and your family have been forsaken, sacrificed by the Ryunosuke's whom you guys have served wholeheartedly. if you stay stubborn, then there's no way anyone can save the Shida Manor from the ordeal! you are the key to save your family!"

Mirai turned her back away and screamed hysterically. Yuto inferred her mental breakdown and retreated from the chamber helplessly, bumping into Yuma who has chanced upon the fuss from the outside.

"I'm afraid she won't accede to us easily and we might have to go hard on her from this point. or at least, it seemed that Ryosuke has decided on this," Yuma commented.

"yes, it definitely seemed that he'll take the harsh approach towards her. but Yuma, don't you think Ryosuke's reaction towards her was out of the norm, in fact quite extreme... he has never been that harsh towards a defenseless lady. I was appalled when he gave her a heavy slap."

"yes, I heard about that. I couldn't imagine a gentleman like Ryosuke could have resorted to that so I think we should prepare her for the worst should she continue to test his patience."

"well, I do not even think he is obligated to help Shida Manor. I'm still perplexed as to why he acceded to the old guy's pleading.  especially now that Shida Mirai is no longer the candidate for Queen, then the manor ceases to be a crucial pawn in the game" 

Yuma pulled Yuto to his tentage and lowered his voice to Yuto, "what I've just found could just answer your curiousity... Shida Manor has secretly been training an elite army outside Aoihoshi."

"really? but Shida Manor are known for their loyalty to the long royal line of Ryunosuke descendants. how could they conspired such a thing..."

"well, my guess is he foresee this day will come, he predicted the King would meet his death sooner or later and probably also knew the real enemies are within the bloodline. hence he knew the manor might invite trouble, so he had to do something to safeguard his family."

"but now the whole manor is in confinement and perhaps even on their road to execution, there will be no one to command that army," Yuto asked with a perplexed expression.

"there is... I am sure that's why Shida Mirai is the only one General Shida would die saving. and he thought of everything to keep this plan alive. knowing she is a lady and might not have the authority to command the army, he knew she needed a man strong enough to assist her."

"and the person is Ryosuke?" Yuto was sure of the answer but asked for confirmation since everything he has heard thus far have been beyond his expectation.

"yes..."

"then it explains why Ryosuke acceded to General Shida's pleas so easily. our current force is already on par with the Ryunosuke, and with this elite army, we are almost sure to win."

"you are right to say so... but Shida Mirai has to marry Ryosuke for all of that to happen. if she marries Kamiki, then the whole game will change." Yuma analysed.

"does Kamiki know of the army?"

"from what I heard, he doesn't. he has been desperately trying to get General Shida to take the blame for the King's assassination so that the evidence produced by Yuya could be debunked and the whole case will close. once so, he marries Lady Asuka then he will by default becomes the King of Aoihoshi. Yuya Ryunosuke stands no chance, given that he isn't his mother's favourite so he did not receive the support from her, and he is second in line after Kamiki."

"then Yuma, why is Kamiki so engrossed with getting Mirai back?"

"childhood sweetheart is definitely a factor, but whether he can excuse her from execution is another issue. then perhaps if he's really evil, he may want to make sure no one in Shida Manor can one day threaten his throne so he could be thinking of killing her or keeping her by his side like a slave or a mistress or some sort."

Yuto and Yuma were startled by a muffled cry at the outside of their tent. they looked at each other anxiously, afraid that their highly confidential conversation has been picked up by someone who shouldn't have heard all those. they tightened their grip of their swords and paced softly towards the exit with eyes fixated on each other for signal to strike. but as they pulled open the blinds, all they saw one a chubby girl crouched in a corner crying pathetically.

"Yuma, hold it," Yuto stopped Yuma who has raised his sword with hostility. Yuma looked confused at Yuto for clarification 

"she's Ayame, Shida Mirai's maiden-in-service," Yuto explained. Ayame wiped her tears and shyly bowed to the two tall handsome musketeers who made her heart skip a beat. she was secretly thinking how her saviours from this group has been looking so intimidatingly handsome. that raised her inferior complex to a whole new level, lowering her head to avoid direct gaze into their eyes or theirs into hers.

"what have you heard?!" Yuma asked sternly.

"... e-everything sir..." then her tears spilled again like a waterfall, "please save my lady! she's too pitiful."

"she chose to love Kamiki Ryunosuke, no one can stop her except herself."

"what's the commotion!" a new voice entered the picture that sent chills down their spines. they looked towards the source of the interruption and confirmed their fear. Ryosuke and Yamaguchi walked towards them with the former looking in distress. Everyone of them lowered their heads, ashamed to face Ryosuke after they recounted what happened since Yuto's visit to Mirai's chamber.

"no wonder I could hear a faint weeping sound coming from near her chamber..." Yamaguchi commented. Ryosuke looked in the direction of her chamber and dazed for a moment with his frown deepening against his brows. 

"did I permit you to show her the marriage announcement?!" Ryosuke asked Yuto with a serious undertone.

"no, but I thought if she knows that the marriage is clearly underway, then she'll subsume to us more easily...then you won't be so troubled," Yuto answered in sheer embarrassment for his own defiance. 

"don't make decisions for me," Ryosuke warned Yuto sternly, taking the latter by surprise. there was awkwardness lingering in the air. Yamaguchi lightly tap Ryosuke to calm him down, only then did 
his stiffened shoulders relax. Ryosuke turned to the sobbing Ayame with a softer gaze as though he has really taken her as a companion whom he shares affinity with. Ayame too seeked consolation from his dazzling gaze.

"I'll have you tend to your lady's broken heart. but I trust that you would not try anything funny while you are in contact with her. do not try to escape or don't blame me for any subsequent consequence," said Ryosuke.

*****
Against the dimly lit room, two men were gathered in secrecy, whispering in an anxious tone. 

"my lord, the first prince is clearly on the winning end with the Empress Dowager's backing. what should we do now? our plot didn't work," the right hand man voiced.

"I can't believe Kamiki will go to such extent to malign the family of his childhood sweetheart in order to pull himself up the throne. he could even forsake the love of his life for someone he has no feelings for, and leave the poor lady in the lurge. then I can't understand my mother's favouritsm!" Yuya rubbed the nape of his neck with utmost distress.

"yes, my lord, I have a suggestion..."

"great. let me know now!" Yuya exclaimed anxiously.

"our common enemy might actually give us strength in winning the throne."

"And I thought what splendid idea you have. haven't you been listening to the confrontation earlier, Ryosuke has already been approached by Kamiki and see how he has mocked Kamiki with his obnoxious attitude."

"that's not what I mean.... I meant we could use him to impress empress dowager, knowing that she would think of Ryosuke as a clear stumbling block... do you get what I mean now, my lord?"

Yuya thought for a brief moment, "ah... I understand now. that's pure evil, but I like it! however, we need a convincing plan or he will not fall for our trick. the Ryosuke today is clearly not the same fat, stupid boy I know over a decade ago."

"I already have an idea... and we do not even need to stain our hands ourselves, yet able for Empress Dowager's to be impressed with us."

The two men exchanged sinister glances which eventually broke out into hysteric laughters as the guard announced his plans to the young master.

******
while one side was in laughters, the other side was in tears. when the chubby girl burst in to the solemn chamber, she received a startling expression from her master who was too shocked to say a word, but reacted with bucket of tears.

"Ayame... how, how is it possible... I thought, I thought you are gone for good! I miss you, Ayame,..." Mirai threw her whole weight at Ayame and hug her tightly, almost crushing Ayame's bones despite the thicker flash. 

"my lady.... sorry, I made you worry... I also thought I'll die..." Ayame cried bitterly in her arms, then Mirai pulled away with a concerned face.

"what exactly happened?! how did you make it?"

"my lady, I wouldn't be able to survive if it wasn't for him."

"him?" Mirai exclaimed in sheer confusion. Ayame led her master who was still cuffed on her arms and feet, to the bed. sat shoulder to shoulder, Ayame recounted the incident.

"it's the young leader. he insisted to the physician to keep me alive..."

"it cant be! he's definitely having an agenda for it... he's a jerk!"Mirai responded agitatedly.

"but there's nothing much he could use me for, i'm just a maid...yet he commit himself to saving me and he even befriended me. My lady, please don't resist him, he can help us. I'm sure he will not hurt you if you cooperate..."

"no! why are you putting such good words to him! I don't wanna be involved with him in anyway! "

"My lady..." Ayame felt helpless. she couldn't do anything to help the kind man.

"can we not talk about him? . Ayame, did you hear of Arioka-kun? I'm so scared he died for me...." Mirai's eyes brimmed with tears again.

"He's saved by one of the commanders here."

"REALLY?!!! thank goodness... I wanna see him~"

"not without the permission of the master... he's still confined. they are more careful with him because he's a shinobi. but you needn't worry, the commander who saved him is a friend of his. I'm sure he'll protect his friend."

"good. at least the 2 of you are safe. I am perhaps the jinx of your lives," Ayame saw her persisted tone of sadness.

"please don't say that... you're not a jinx, we're in this together as a family. right?"

"Ayame... I really don't know what to do... even Kamiki, i feel like he's not holding on anymore. the royal engagement, he promised it'll be me, he promised Asuka is only here to ease the tension. but it's happening, he's really carrying it out!"

"my lady... can you promise me something, just once," Ayame clutched Mirai's hands tightly with sincerity conveyed all through her face. Mirai looked into her eyes and nodded subtly to hear out what she has to say.

"don't pin hopes on Kamiki-sama. I don't want you to be hurt,... by him"

"Ayame~"

"if you think those people here has persuaded me to think he's bad, you're wrong. Arioka-kun told me some of what old master has found out may have attributed to the chain of events that has befall on us. and one thing you should know is... he might have sacrificed the Shida Manor cause we have known too much and were too attached to them so making it easy to push the dirty linen to us."

Mirai sat dazed, unwilling to accept the words from Ayame. but regardless of who told her previously, she needn't care or believe but the one now is Ayame, her most trusted maiden-friend-companion. 

"Ayame.... can you help me? I can only count on you now...." Mirai tightened her grip of his hand and her gaze deepened with hopes that her maiden will not fail her. Helpless but yet obligated, Ayame listened and agreed with the best of her ability.

****
Ryosuke sat against the lake and stared with thoughts flooding in his mind. He saw her fallen tears and he looked intensely at his palm, recalling how he has inflicted pain on her beautiful cheek. he clenched his fist and tilted his head upwards to curb his teardrops from accumulating. Shutting his eyes, he permitted himself to flashback on that one little girl in his memory who has made his heart pound like a human.

....
"give it back!!! give me back my lunch!!!" the round boy whose neck could barely be seen, jumped hard to reach the average-looking lunchbox from the tall students, boys and girls, who were at least a head taller than him.

"Ai-kun, you eat so much, missing one meal will not starve you right! we are trying to make you a better person!" the classmates laughed and mocked with no intentions to stop.

"it's mine! please leave me alone!" he shouted and regretted saying so, cause the next moment, the bullies threw the box over a distance, spilling its content across the damped field.

"that's a punishment for telling lies...younger brother of Yuya and Kamiki-sama, please, that's the worst lie!" the students mocked on their way back to the class while the boy drew himself to the broken lunch box. He couldn't even balance his round body in the unstable grass patch that he fell on his . he could hear laughters from the bunch and was unwilling to turn back to see. he remained seated on the grass, dazing at the food he prepared himself and had been looking forward to taste it. he tried his best to suppress those other negative events that happened, especially how his elder brothers have disregarded his existence and insisted he lied of his relation with them. frankly, he never wanted to disclose his status, but he thought when people tried to hurt him violently, he hoped his brothers would be there to help or at least his status would have given him immunization to such brutal acts. yet he realised no one would believe a boy like him is of the same social class as his perfect brothers. He remembered every punch and cut that the senior bullies put him through and only then he felt the pain. perhaps he was already immuned to such harm and perhaps it was emotional heartaches that hurts him more.

he ed his top buttons revealing his skin beneath. He  touched his bare chest and felt a long ugly cut stretched across his once smooth skin covering his pure heart. the blood has dried, leaving only a prickling pain. he tightened his jaw to hold in the pain, temporarily distracting himself from his grievances.

"hey Ai-kun.." a familiar voice of a girl startled him from behind. he quickly covered his sagging fatty chest with embarrassment and brace a smile at the beautiful girl.

he saw her eyed the spilled food from his lunch box and knew he has again showed her the pathetic side of himself. he has always swore to himself that he becomes a dependable guy so that he could protect her, as a friend or beyond... but he has never managed to fulfill it, and her recent confession to him about someone else residing in her heart has dashed all his hopes and desires. moreover, he knew there's no way he could win him, if that guy she loved is a handsome heart throb, he's only a frog hidden from public eyes. He swallowed his unhappiness as usual when she's with him, and that's all he could do to at least retain her by his side.

"lets lunch together. I have your favourite food," she said sweetly as she propped himself beside him. she laid out her food and looked into his eyes in anticipation.

"it's okay, Mi-chan..." he declined politely even though his stomach growled in protest.

"why? because you lied, so you punish yourself by starving..." she said with a deeply concerned tone, her gaze did not flicker even once but his did not fall short too. his frown deepened and his gaze grew stern as if preparing for a shocking statement.

"you won't believe me? you think I lied too.?"

she got taken aback by his serious tone for something she thought was supposedly a joke. she didnt think he needed to lie to her and felt he was amusing enough to persist on this lie.

"Ai-kun, you know I don't really bother who you are... regardless of class, status or whatsoever, you're still my best friend in the world... so really, at least in front of me, you can just be yourself"

he sighed heavily and slouched more, with the layers of fats in his tummy to congregate. he felt dejected but recovered quickly as he didnt want to affect her lively mood. However, she surprised him again, this time taking his breathe away when she slipped her hand beneath his half opened top onto his freshly scared chest.

he felt so shy that he didnt feel the burning sensation. his face flushed red hot especially with the layers of insulating heat beneath his thick skin.

"yamette Mi-chan..." he withdrew quickly, but the girl reacted with no reservation.

"what are you shy of... let me see~" they started tackling each other and the distance between them draw closer. at a brief moment, their eyes looked intensely into each other such that it seemed everything around stopped in motion. 

....
Ryosuke sighed as he now saw how everything between the girl and guy changed so drastically that none of them can return to that simplicity before. but his thoughts had to be interrupted by the softest footsteps made possible by none other than the best shinobis. still their approach is busted by their highly trained master.

without turning around, Ryosuke spoke with a deep, impatient, yet lethargic voice "I didn't ask for any of you."

Yuto knew it was an indication he wants to be alone, but he couldn't back away just yet.

"Ryosuke, I'm sorry for what happened earlier. please forgive me," Yuto kneeled on the ground and seeked his forgiveness sincerely.

"I won't be angry with you Yuto, just dismiss yourself for now," Ryosuke replied with a sigh, however his mental alertness was fixated at the other shinobi who hasn't spoke a word except observe him.

"Ryosuke, Arioka Daiki needs a word with you, so I brought him here." 

"I said not now," Ryosuke shrugged away their presence but his feet stopped when the shorter shinobi talked, "my lord, if only you spare me 10 minutes of your time. I think I've something you would want to hear"

"Yes, Ryosuke, you really would wanna hear him out," Yuto supported Daiki's words though he irked the latter's presence.

Still Ryosuke didn't respond... his silence only made it seemed like he needed more convincing.

"there's this boy, whom I vaguely recalled visiting Shida Manor... Mirai-sama's playmate if I'm not wrong. the boy, has miraculously left the county same time as the banishment of..."

"Yuto, you can dismiss yourself first. I'll speak with him alone," Ryosuke interrupted Daiki and asked for Yuto to excuse himself. unwilling as he is, Yuto retreated with his thirst for interest about Mirai's playmate Daiki mentioned.

as soon as Yuto left from sight, Ryosuke turned to Daiki. Ryosuke's frown was deep enough to trap water. "My lord, I meant what I said earlier. pardon me for only recalling now that I met you once in the manor when you were very young. perhaps that was also when my master General Shida noticed you"

"well, it only mattered now isn't it. I wouldn't be noticed if it was decade ago."

"please don't say that, my lord... I was brought up by General Shida himself since young. if there's anything he knows, I'll know too. and one thing I never forget he said, was the shocking conspiracy within the palace that have led to the King's assassination, the banishment of the third prince and the crowning of the bad blood."

"so.. you do know alot, Arioka Daiki. I suggest you keep it to yourself before you get slaughtered like your master," Ryosuke paced himself away from Daiki and back to base, but he was shocked by Daiki's next act. the latter bowed in complete politeness and confidently and with determination, he pledged, "I will swear my allegiance to the true crown prince, as instructed by general Shida and my own will. I will assist to your every request and will do to my best abilities. i hereby give my life to my new master."

Ryosuke was stunned and unknowingly felt his heart tightened as if touched by his words. for a shinobi to change master wasn't the norm and for someone as loyal as him to swear his allegiance to another shouldn't have been easy. but yet he conveyed such sincerity in his speech. Ryosuke turned and looked at him still in a lowered position with his body bent forward in a 90 degree. 

"goshuujin-sama," Daiki uttered once more. Ryosuke deepened his gaze and gave it a thought.

"you have been a shinobi your whole life, so I take it you know what it means when you swear your life to me. I'm different from General Shida, my life is entrenched in danger and threatening events at every corner. Yuto is clear that his life is pretty much dead the day he pledged as my shinobi. so take back your words as you may wish."

"I will not withdraw my words and I'm fully certain I'll serve you even if it means putting myself in the road to death. that has been the life of shinobi and that has already been determined as my fate the day my birth parents threw me away. if there's one thing I wish to do as a free being, it would be to punish those who tramples on the life of others and mock at their sufferings. I want to commit myself to avenging for the Shida Manor who has given me a roof over my head and you."

"why me?"

"because I know Aoihoshi will be in good hands if it's you. because you are the only rightful heir to the throne"

Ryosuke took a step towards Daiki and lifted his head for a closer look. There was an intense exchange of deep glances and finally Ryosuke broke the silence, "I see you have put great thoughts into it, and I don't see any reason to decline. regaining my throne isn't my main priority, but exposing the scandals swept under my father's grave would be what I'll die for. mark my words, I do not expect to live by the end of this journey, so you shouldn't expect as well."

"you'll live,goshuujin-sama."

"your optimism is uncalled for but time will enlighten you, so I shall not brood on it further. I want you to call me by my name, just like how others do."

Daiki realised now the young master values brotherhood more than anything, calling the master by name has clearly emphasised this valuable commitment of a leader. Daiki found himself smiling briefly as he knew serving this young master who was about his age, is a new chapter in his life which he would treasure. 

"Ryosuke~" Daiki stopped him once more when he noticed him leaving.

"you are going to tell me about Shida Mirai, aren't you?"

Daiki was startled at how Ryosuke was particularly good at reading minds, but perhaps he was just too much of an opened book.

"please forgive Mirai-sama from what happened in the past. she has never been interested in politics, and she has never thought the world is so cruel until today. her innocence has made her lose the most precious things, including her playmate, without her knowing. her stubborn perseverance over the wrong things would only hurt her deeper. please understand the nature of her, which is both a source of frustration and a source of beauty. please save her from her own making and protect her as you would if none of the misunderstandings occurred."

Ryosuke chuckled with an obvious undertone of sarcasm. "you are getting something wrong. I'm not here to save her, and you may even have to mentally prepare that she'll not live well in my hands. my return is not for giving forgiveness, but it's to seek revenge. In fact, for my first task to you, I want you to watch her such that she cannot escape from my hands! can you do that..."

Daiki couldn't answer immediately, he knew his new master has not forgotten or forgiven what has happened before. the master standing before him has been so brutally hurt by so many that he has changed to become someone so independent, so emotionally strong; the drastic difference from the him before and the him now was not merely in the looks or the physique, it was in the mental resilience and the ruthlessness.

"yes, Ryosuke" Daiki has no choice but to accede.

Ryosuke smirked then walked away.

*****