Sleep

A Hundred percent of madness

 

 

I was sitting in the office with my head on the desk. I thought of hitting the table so that the pain from the hit would substitute the one from the hangover, but luckily I realized in time that this wouldn´t solve my problem. I admit, I got drunk last night and today I need to suffer. But no matter what I had to come to work. Yesterday Hyukjae was making fun of me that I might not come due to my low alcohol tolerance. How I hate it when he´s right. But the competition wasn´t fair! The bastard didn´t even drink. He got me completely.

“Must be tough,” I heard someone say and so I opened my eyes. To my chagrin another face was just about ten centimeters away from mine laid on my desk. Hyukjae was kneeling on the carpet and his chin and hands were resting on the wooden table giving him dog-like looks. “How about I take your lectures and you go take a nap, hm?” He offered with a strange poker face. Was he serious or was this just a mockery? But although I wanted to agree, I was supposed to become a great teacher soon. Sleeping over my hangover instead of giving lessons was absolutely unacceptable. I tried to push away some data on this topic. Sleep has an important role in learning generalized skills, in stabilizing and protecting memory.

“Thanks but I´m gonna fight,” my words slightly deforming thanks to the uncomfortable position of my jaw on the desk.

“As you wish, brave soldier,” Hyukjae saluted and closed himself in his private office.

Soon it was possible to hear a quiet booming of music and blue light was coming from under the door. The TV must have been on a music channel again. Some heavy beats going on in the small office, I was wondering if he was having a party with his dog there or something. Didn´t he say it hated noise? Seems like music is an exception. It´s nice that at least the dog supports Hyukjae´s wild hobbies. I definitely wouldn´t wear that silver leash and sleep in a leopard printed haunt.

My headache was getting worse through the day and no amount of aspirin could save me anymore. You might laugh but one big beer is enough to send me crashing. I was writing numbers on the blackboard doing my best to not look like a complete wimp. Students were perfectly ignoring me as always but today for the first time I was glad it was like this. All of a sudden the doors to the classroom opened abruptly, the glass on them almost crashing with the hit.

“It´s an emergency!” Everyone´s attention was at the white haired guy standing in the doors with a terrified expression. “I need all the people available!”

“What happened, Hyukjae?” I asked him genuinely worried.

“Choco is gone! Kids, who finds Choco for me gets an ice-cream supply for a month!” Hyukjae announced and in ten seconds my class was dismissed. I was looking at him in awe.

“Donghae,” Hyukjae gripped my shoulders, his eyes ready to fall out of his sockets. “You stay in my office in case she came back. She´s a smart dog, you know.” After giving me this stupid instruction he ran away.

I sighed. What a crazy guy. But my students are gone so I might as well go back to the office. I unlocked the door to the empty cabinet. I was about to sit at my place when I remembered the small sofa in Hyukjae´s office. Exhaustion makes employees less efficient, even in the time it takes to read an email. They are also more irritable and more likely to explode. My brain was again becoming flooded with statistics. But Hyukjae told me to wait there so he wouldn´t mind if I took a short nap, right? Happy with my smart conclusion I entered the now colorful room and laid myself down on the white sofa. It was comfortable and before I knew it I fell asleep.

“Such a smart doggie.”

A quiet low voice was the first thing I heard when I woke up after some time. I cracked my eyes open only to find the white haired teacher wrestling with his fluffy little dog on the carpet. I blinked a few times to make sure I was awake and this wasn´t just another nightmare about my new superior. I had them pretty often these days.

“Who found her?” I croaked to let him know I was awake. Hyukjae sat cross-legged and started patting the puppy on his lap.

“Technically you since she came back by herself,” he grinned, “so what kind of ice-cream do you like?” I face-palmed but all of a sudden remembered something very important.

“Hey, I´m sorry,” I told him.

“About what? You don´t like ice-cream? That´s sad,” Hyukjae answered nonsense.

“No, that´s not it. I love vanilla ice-cream the most,” I glanced at Hyukjae who looked as if he was trying to remember this awfully unimportant information. I almost rolled my eyes but quickly resumed in my speech. “I am sorry for what I said yesterday to you. I didn´t mean to sound so spiteful.” I sat up and watched the man play with his dog some more before he looked back at me.

“Honestly I was quite surprised that you managed to talk to me in this way. I thought it would take you much longer,” he interrupted our eye-contact and smiled at the dog before he added another confusing sentence. “It was a pleasant surprise.”

“What? Shouldn´t you dislike me now?” I scratched my head probably making my bed-head messier, if that was even possible still.

“You will understand sooner or later, Donghae,” he looked back at me again with a strange smirk, “but if I hated you, I wouldn´t let you take a nap during your class.” A wink. Possibly he didn´t pull that stunt with Choco just to let me take a break, did he?

“I guess so,” I answered dumbly.

“But don´t think I´ll let it slide every time,” Hyukjae stood up, “even if you don´t fancy me, Donghae, I´m still your supervisor so don´t let your guard down, baby.” He chuckled and left the room with the spoiled dog in his hands. I can just never tell what´s going on in his head.

That afternoon when Hyukjae was leading his own lesson the three of us met in front of his classroom doors. Siwon, me and Seohyun. All of us were curious of why in the hell is this guy called a genius. Although I made a great mistake yesterday and got scolded by my two friends, I wasn´t the only one doubting the young bleached teacher. None of us could believe in him and so we decided to spy on him.

“So does everyone have a cup?” Siwon whispered and I and Seohyun nodded. After that we leaned against the door and put the cup between our ear and the wood. We tried to overhear what was the lecture about. Although the method was a bit old, it worked still fine. The sound was perfect.

“And now let me say a little joke,” Hyukjae said and the three of us pushed closer. This was definitely interesting. “How many curious teachers can fit through the door at the same time?” Then the doors got rapidly pulled open and like pins we all fell on the floor face first of course.

“And the answer is three!” ing bastard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Double update! Do you love me? :D Just joking. Please, enjoy. Ah, by the way I´m not really sure about sociology studies but every university has a different way of combining it. Sometimes with economy, sometimes with psychology so don´t get confused by Donghae´s statistics. And when we are at the statistics. I try to find korean ones but not always they are recent and sometimes I use those of another country. It´s not that important anyway. :) - Hesitant PandaHero