Hurt

First

The engine stopped. Everyone got off the vehicle to sightsee such a breath-taking view which was not really familiar to these urban kids. You and Yugyeom were the last ones to observe the scenery because you fell asleep on his firm shoulder and since the sincere boy didn’t want to wake you up, he just patiently waited until you went back from your dreamland.


Girls and boys began to pair up to pitch tents to spend the night. At predicted, you ended up being left out. It wasn’t anything new to you but Yugyeom seemed worried. He whispered something to mrs. Choi and she noded in response.

“OK, fine. Since you two are sibling… Rin Mi ah, you can spend the night with Yugyeom if you don’t want to sleep alone. For others, as you finish, gathering over there.”. Mrs. Choi said, pointing at a flag pole placed near the stream.

Yugyeom ran towards you, winking mischievously. You smacked his arm.

“Ouch! What’s with the “thank you for saving me from being left alone” ?”

“You crazy boy! I can just ask them to spend the night. Why did you…” You sighed. “have to make me embarrassed all the time?”

“You don’t like them anyway!”. Yugyeom pouted.

“Yah! You and me aren’t that close to sleep together! Aigoo you must have stuffed your head with dirty thought, mustn’t you?”

“Wow, wow, talk about your imagination!”. The mischievous boy burst out of laughter. “I won’t do anything stupid. Just relax, noona. I can pitch the tent myself.”

“Babo!”. You tapped his head. “I told you I don’t want to be left alone!”.

After a few minutes, the class gathered around mrs. Choi to listen to the survival game’s rules. Then she blew the whistle annoucing the game began. Yugyeom told you to stand by him as he ran in the wood. He was fully aware and ready to shoot anyone in sight, protecting you. Meanwhile you looked like a fragile girl who followed her hero, dragged along a heavy gun without knowing how to use it. You took your helmet off because with this masculine boy around, you didn’t think you would need any other protection. You walked for a while and realized there was no one near. Suddenly, a fog appeared, which blocked your view, caused you to hang on Yugyeom tightly. That was weird, you thought, the sky wasn’t even dark yet, how come the appearance of the fog? Yugyeom’s eyes quickly changed into a more threatening and cautious look. He grabbed your hand, squeezed a little as a reassurance.

“Gyeomie-ah, are we lost?”. You asked.

Not answering your question, Yugyeom drew you into his embrace as you both fell backwards to the bush. You felt something scratching your ear but it happened so fast that you couldn’t tell what it was. Within a second, a red liquid started rolling down from your wound. You knew it was not badly injured but you were annoyed. After all, it was just a game, why did they have to make it so serious? You didn’t even care about the embarrassing position of you and him, the pain caught all of your attention. Yugyeom sat up straight when putting a first-aid bandage on your ear. He gave a sign asking you to keep quiet as he ran off.


There were tons of things that could make you feel  nervous and one of them was to sit alone in the thick forest. Yugyeom must have gone to deal with the one who hurted you earlier but he didn’t know that all you wanted was to have him right by your side to comfort you. Mother nature was such a teaser. She didn’t seem to please when just seeing you trembling with fear, so she sent out a cold breeze to make your nerve went wild. You hopelessly shouted Yugyeom’s name but instead of hearing your own echo, a wolf howled in response. This was stupid! How did you even agree to go on this trip in the first place?!


Your wound had stopped bleeding for a while and the fog was lifting as well. You even had to amaze with your own courageousness. But why didn’t Yugyeom come back? You began questioning yourself as someone dragged his feet towards you. You, once again, shivered with fear, held the gun tightly (not in a propper way though) and suddenly pointed at the stranger. As you were still in a daze, Yugyeom rested his head on your shoulder. His body was covered with wounds. Cuts and bruises were all over the gorgeous face. His clothes were full of dirt but there was no sight of paint. To be honest, you would rather see some paint instead of these injuries. Yugyeom gasped for air while trying to hide away the severe cut on his right arm which was streaming blood, bone was vaguely exposed.

“Sorry noona. I left you for a while, didn’t I?”. he muttered.

“No, no. You’re bleeding”. Your eyes shed tears. “Oh my god, Gyeomie, you’re bleeding…”

When you were nagging in a tearful tone, Yugyeom wore a weak smile and went off into a faint.