Tricksters

Running With Wolves: Magic, Spells and Creatures Guidebook
    

TRICKSTERS
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Do you know what a trickster does?”

“tricks people?”

“Bingo. I can trick anyone and anything into thinking that they’re someone else, or doing someone else, or thinking something else.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
BASICS 

» Tricksters are beings - spirits, humans, gods - who exhibit a great degree of intellect or secret knowledge, and use it to play tricks
or otherwise disobey normal rules and conventional behavior.

» In mythology and literature, tricksters are archetypal characters who appear in the myths of many different cultures. Tricksters tend to cross physical and societal rules, violate principles of social and natural order, and playfully disrupt normal life, often to re-establish it on a new basis.

» There are human tricksters, spiritual tricksters, and mythological tricksters, and they all have slightly different use of their powers.

 

 

HUMAN TRICKSTERS 

» People born with an ability to make others see images they themselves create. Aside from seeing, the person they influence with their magic can often smell different scents, or hear things, if the trickster decides so.

» They can trap other people and beings in illusions they create. 

» They're impossibly lucky people. No matter what they do, they'll almost always come up at the top. They quickly find what they look for, they don't have trouble doing most things, and they're usually gifted with some great logical skills.

 

 

GOD TRICKSTERS 

» Loki; a malicious god in Norse mythology, who often causes mayhem and disturbance among other gods. He's said to be the father of Fenrir, a monstrous wolf, and the Midgard Serpent, a sea serpent that grew so large underwater that it circles the entire world, grasping its own tail.

» Mercury; a Roman god of travelers, communication, luck, trickery, and thieves. 

» Anansi; known only from stories. He can change into a spider, and is able to turn the table on his powerful oppressors by using his cunning and trickery. 

 

 

CREATURES 

» Kitsunes; shapeshifters originating from Japan. They're not human, aren't spiritual, either; nobody knows the exact nature of their existence. They don't age, nobody knows how they're born, and they can live for ages. They gather energy from people and creatures they trap inside their visions and illusions. They can shift into any creature they want, but their truest form is one of a fox. They're neither female nor male. They're truly neutral - they can't tell good from evil, and they live for tricking people. It's the only joy in their lives.

» Djinns; human-like creatures that get energy from trapping humans inside illusions. Their strategy is to catch a human, put them to sleep with their magic, and then induct a coma on them. Once their prey is trapped in a dream, they feed on their thoughts, wishes, and images that flash in their heads. If a human is trapped inside their head for too long, feeding a Djinn, they can die.

 

 

 

 

 STORY

 

» In RWW we meet a human trickster: Amber. She's able to trap people and creatures in illusions. She's even able to trap a demon inside an illusion for a short period of time. Thanks to her talents and natural energy, she's a great hacker, and she never once got caught.

 

    » We also meet a kitsune in chapters fifty-eight, fifty-nine and sixty of Run A Little Faster.

 
 
 
                    
 

Tricksters can be cunning, or foolish, or both. They opently question and mock authority, the majority of them don't have a sense of decency and moralily, and they're neither good or evil. They're fond of breaking rules, boasting, and playing tricks on both humans and magical creatures.

 

layout designed and coded by flamzfox at Cerulean Themes