plans

Crazy

crazy

chapter 6


 

/Baekhyun's POV/

Taeyeon and I walked across the garden. As she was talking about her medication, I glanced at her when she's not looking at me. I saw the light in her eyes. Looking at her up close makes me feel happy. This is really really crazy. I suddenly forgot about my family problems (Dad, Tiffany, Kyungsoo, Wendy and the whole family business). Lately, I haven't been thinking about the serious deal.

"So, I heard you've got a new roommate," Taeyeon said.

I nodded my head. "Don't worry. Kai is a really good guy. He just seems distracted."

"First day blues. He'll get over it," Taeyeon responded.

"But we'll still talk, okay?" I said, trying to get her approval.

"With Kai listening?" Her eyes widened.

I smiled. "Yeah. He said he's going to pretend he doesn't exist."

"Do you know his story?" Taeyeon asked.

I recalled it. Kai was indeed a hopeless romantic. I never knew a first love could really make someone crazy.

"Your roommate... No, your former roommate. She was a Jung, right?"

"Yeah. Jessica Jung."

"How is she related to Krystal Jung?"

Taeyeon stopped walking. "She's Sica's younger sister. Why?"

"Kai is madly in love with her," I told her.

We sat down on a bench together. I started telling Taeyeon about the things I learned about Kai.

-----

"Krystal Jung, Krystal Jung. She was my heaven and earth," Kai uttered

"What happened, then?" I asked.

"The Jungs were prominent around town. The daughters were sent to America. And when they came back, everyone wanted to see the heiresses. As a young man, I was curious. The old folks said Jessica and Krystal looked really pretty. I wore my farming suit that day. My parents were farmers and tenants of the Jungs' land. I saw Krystal one morning. She was lost in the farm. I took my hat off. God, she was the most beautiful girl I've ever seen," Kai sniffed.

I can see water forming at Kai's eyes. He must really love her.

"She spoke a little Korean. She had a hard time understanding me. So, I led her back to their mansion. She was so surprised I brought her back that she hugged me. From that day on, we became good friends despite our differences. Her parents knew. But of course, I wouldn't want them to think that a farm boy like me doesn't deserve their daughter. So, I did my best at school and topped the list. I graduated with the highest marks. Krystal was so proud of me. She was the one who confessed to me first. And to that, I kissed her for the very first time. She was the first female aside from my Mom that I loved the most," Kai continued.

I continued listening to him.

"But when her older sister Jessica got kidnapped, the Jungs were in crisis. I protected Krystal really well. I don't want to lose her. Luckily, Jessica was saved. But she developed a disorder and was sent here," Kai added.

Jessica Jung.... she's Taeyeon's roommate!

"Everyone started judging the Jungs especially when the culprit was finally in jail. I pity Krystal the most because everyone started asking her if her sister was ...which was true. Worse, the culprit was someone from another part of the Jungs' farm. I recognized the culprit, but we weren't close. One day.... Krystal and I were hanging out at the back of the mansion when Mr. Jung angrily shoved me away. He said he was wrong in trusting his people. He grabbed my shirt and threatened to kill me if I would end up with Krystal. He feared that Krystal might follow Jessica. He was too pressured and depressed. I thought he'd approve of me because I was not just a farm boy. I accepted his warning. But Krystal went to see me that night. She was at our house. And we...."

He looked down again. I wondered what happened on that night.

"....We made love. By the time we stopped and she got dressed, my parents went furious. They asked Krystal to leave because they heard cars speeding up from the Jung manor. Krystal hurriedly got out and ran away. I tried to follow her, but Dad stopped me. I was crying. Then, I heard Mr. Jung yelling loudly. He was walking towards us. Before I knew it, he stabbed me," Kai said.

"Wait, what?! Stabbed you?" I repeated.

"The father of my only love stabbed me because I was filth. I was dirt to his eyes just like the and kidnapper who abducted Jessica. Traumatic it is," Kai said. There was anger in his eyes.

"Did Mr. Jung get imprisoned?" I asked.

"No! He still lives in that manor. He lets Krystal suffer day by day. And he... he sent me here when Jessica got discharged. that man," Kai cursed.

-----

Taeyeon suddenly grabbed my hand. "That's so cruel."

"Jessica never knew. Krystal never knew Kai's here," I stated.

"That's it!" Taeyeon stood up.

"Hey, what's up with you?" I said, startled with Taeyeon's reaction.

"After Seulgi's graduation, I'll help you get out of this institution," Taeyeon whispered in my ear.

"Why?" I asked softly.

"Let's talk about that bucket list you told me later, " Taeyeon said as she glanced at the nurses around us.

-----

Kai was taking a nap when I slowly moved his bed aside to talk to Taeyeon through the hole.

"There you are. Do you have a pen and paper with you?" Taeyeon asked as she leaned to the hole.

I fished for a pen and a paper at the drawer nearby. I'm glad Kyungsoo sent me my supplies.

"What now? Should I write Taeng and Baek's bucket list?" I asked.

"Uh-huh. Write these..."

I started writing according to her command.

 

ON SEULGI'S GRADUATION...

[ ] Eat the best food in town with family.

[ ] Meet up with Yoona

[ ] Visit Suho's grave (if possible, bring Baekhyun)

DAY 2 (WHEN I RETURN TO ST. DYMPHNA'S)

[ ] Contact Wendy and Kyungsoo to visit

[ ] Plan the three day escapade with them and Kai

DAY 1 OF ESCAPADE

[ ] Eat ice cream together

[ ] Buy clothes

[ ] Try not to get caught by police

[ ] Take photos

[ ] Drive to Kai's farm and try to solve the problem (coordinate with Yoona on this)

DAY 2 OF ESCAPADE

[ ] Watch a RomCom

[ ] Drink coffee

[ ] A day at a beach

[ ] Camp at the beach and see the stars at night...lying on the sand

[ ] Drink alcohol!

DAY 3 OF ESCAPADE

[ ] Say hello to Byun Dong Wook and his mistress... in a crazy manner

[ ] Spray paint (Baekhyun's) friends' cars

[ ] Buy unnecessary stuff

[ ] Return at St. Dymphna's looking like kidnapped children at night. The next day, when the doctors or police will interrogate us... we'll just say we needed a day off.

I smiled at our list. But isn't it crazy? This might delay Taeyeon's stay at St. Dymphna's. Her parents are expecting her to go out soon. I feel confused.

"Are you sure we're going to do all of this stuff?" I asked her.

"Byun. Baekhyun. Don't worry. I prefer to live like that if it's the craziest thing to do. Anyway, if I go out soon... I'll just be fooled by the reality that my fiance died like a bubble," Taeyeon replied.

Why is she agreeing to my plans? I feel so confused and nervous, but...

This is worth the try. It's going to be a good adventure.