Selfless Jill

Rooftop Rumble

 

Chapter 9

A Man's Fury

 

Reena walked her way to the school. She was still feeling a bit dizzy but she had no choice. She can’t miss school.

Reena walked on and then suddenly a bike went by her side almost hitting her. She lost her balance and fell to the ground. Reena felt everything around her spinning.

“Who told you you’re superwoman?”

Reena looked up and through her blurred vision she saw a familiar figure of a man grabbing her arm and lifting her up. The motion made Reena even dizzier. She fell on the man’s chest.

“Stubborn woman.” Said the man. “A woman has to know her limitations.”

Reena looked up.

“Kim Jongin.” She whispered.

“You shouldn’t push it.” Said Jongin. “if you can’t even walk straight, that’s a sign you have to stay home.”

“I have to pass a project.” Said Reena. “There are exams too.”

Jongin sighed.

“With my grades…I can’t afford to not take any exam.” Said Reena. “Last time I checked, my grades were bordering to Fail.”

“Hey!” called out someone behind them.

Jongin turned back and saw Jill Park running towards them.

“Do you two walk to school together every morning?” asked Jill Park, full of enthusiasm as usual.

Reena pushed away from Jongin realizing how odd their posture was.

And then she saw Lu Han was standing just behind Jill Park.

“No.” answered Reena. “I fell off balance. Good thing Jongin was there to help me.”

“That’s good.” Said Lu Han. “It’s good that there was someone who was there to help you. It is every person’s responsibility to help others. Jongin is being a good roommate.”

That didn’t sound right in Jongin’s ears.

“This is so cool! We can all walk to school together every morning! This is so much fun!” said Jill Park.

Nobody answered her.

“I am going ahead.” Said Jongin. “I have to jog around the field.”

“Oh, right! That’s right, we have training today.” Said Lu Han. “The Prime Section battle is today. I need to get going too.”

Lu Han and Jongin walked ahead leaving Jill Park and Reena Choi.

“Let’s walk to school together, Best friend!” said Jill Park.

“This is making me more dizzy.” Thought Reena.

Lu Han tapped Kim Jongin.

“Reena Choi looked pale.” Said Lu Han. “Is she going to be ok going to school?”

Jongin prevented himself from reacting. The truth is, for some odd reason, he’s bothered by the same matter. How will Reena survive a day in school with her condition? And with all those people who’s out to hurt her… What will happen to her?

----------------------

Lu Han sighed as he stared out the window. He could see Jill Park running in the field with her hands stretched on her side s if she’s flying.

This is the oddest of situations. How can he be roomates with Jill Park? And how can he be housemates with his own classmate Kim Jongin and… the girl who almost always avoids him, Reena Choi.

“Weird.” Said Lu Han.

“Are you now regretting that you challenged the Prime Section?” asked Tao.

“Huh? Of course not. The game is totally on.” Said Lu Han.

Lu Han stood up and went in front of everyone. They were in the gym. It was the day of the battle between Lu Han’s group and the Prime Section. The physically challenged versus the Elites!

“This day has finally arrived.” Said Lu Han.

“Prepare to leave your position, Mr. Knight.” Said Krystal.

“Not yet, Princess. Not until you win against my team.” Said Lu Han. “It will be a battle of three games. You have to win twice to win the entire thing.”

“Let’s start. What’s the first game?” asked Seohyun.

“The first game is a 500 meter dash.” Said Lu Han.

Everyone seemed to laugh.

“You only thought of a race?” laughed Krystal. “Just a 500 meter dash? That’s so lame.”

“You’re never going to win against Lay.” Said Seohyun.

“We will see won’t we?” asked Lu Han

Everyone went to the field for the race. Lu Han sighed as he did his warm up. And then he smiled at Jongin who was almost beside him.

“Today is our day.” Said Lu Han.

“Why…” asked Jongin. “…do you have to stir trouble like this? Do you want to prove in front of the entire section?”

Lu Han was startled for a moment.

“Not at all.” Said Lu Han. “I just want to make the Prime section see that nothing in this world is invincible.”

That got Jongin listening.

“That everyone has a weakness, and sometimes preparation beats the best of talents. I want the Prime section to know that they are not all powerful. That there could still be someone out there who could be a threat to them. Especially to those in the section who thinks they can do everything they want in this school just because they think they can… I want to show them that nobody is all powerful.”

Jongin sighed. Lu Han is too ambitious. This school is rotten. The people in power would always use that power to torment others.

“But I guess you’re right. In the end, I just want to prove them that I’m right.” Said Lu Han. “I’m not the nicest person in Neon.”

Lu Han and everyone in his group was ready.

“Lay won the regional championship on 500 meter dash last year. Rumour has it that he’s going to try out for the national team.” Said Jongin.

“Oh… really?” said Lu Han. “That’s cool. Thank for telling me, Man. Now that I know, I feel more charged and challenged!”

Everyone’s attention in his team went to Lu Han.

“I’m first up. I’ll make sure to win this. So watch me, team. Be sure to cheer loud!” Said Lu Han.

Lu Han went to the starting line. Lay was waiting for him.

“Go beat him, Buddy! You’re going to win!” shouted a girl from afar.

Everyone looked at her direction, including Lu Han. That was his mistake. From afar, Jill Park was waving at him happily.

“You’re going to win, Buddy!” shouted Jill Park.

“Ewww is she cheering for Lu Han?” asked Krystal.

“Nope, I don’t think so.” Said Seohyun. “Maybe for Lay. Anyway, who cares who she’s cheering for. She’s crazy anyway.”

“Is she cheering for you or me?” asked Lay.

Lu Han sighed.

“You got yourself a fan.” Said Lu Han.

“Jill Park is my fan?” asked Lay. “I don’t know why that crept me out.”

And then the race started.

Lay was ahead at the start but Lu Han started gaining speed and just before they reached the finish line, Lu Han reached it first. Everyone was shocked. Even Lay did not expect he’ll lose.

“How can that happen?” asked Krystal. “How can Lay be beaten so easily?”

Lu Han waved at his team. Everyone cheered. The loudest cheer came from Jill Park though.

Lu Han tried to ignore her.

“Lu Han… he came from the US right?” asked Chorong. “I heard of a Chinese Korean guy who qualified for the Olympics. He was discovered in the US. That person’s surname is Lu. But he uses an English name.”

“If that’s him, that’s unfair.” Said Krystal. “How can we race against an Olympian?”

“I am that person. I am Lu Han. People in the US called me Mark Lu. If you did your preparation, if you researched beforehand, then you would not be this shocked.” Said Lu Han.

Everyone went silent.

“As you can see, lack of preparation can be a downfall.” Said Lu Han.

“You’re going over your head, Olympian.” Said Krystal “We better do the second challenge so that you’ll learn to pay respect to your classmates.”

The next game was relay. There were different task per person. The team that finishes all the tasks with the shortest time wins.

It was a hard relay, it was a military type relay. The Prime team were all physically well built while Lu Han’s team were all lousy. But by the end of the relay, the Prime team only won by 3 seconds!

“Close huh?” said Lu Han. “See what preparations could do? If my team did not prepare, we would’ve lost greatly. But we prepared and so we almost beat you.”

“Almost.” Said Seohyun. “But you still lost.”

“Let’s  see with the last game.” Said Lu Han. “But first, let’s take a quick break.”

During the break, Jongin went around the school to look for Reena. It was hard to find her. Maybe she’s hiding somewhere. He went around for minutes until he reached the back of the school. Behind the faculty offices, Jongin saw Reena. She was sitting, her back against the wall. She seemed to be sleeping.

Tsk!

“I told her not to push it but she still did. She really should have just stayed home.”

Jongin went beside Reena and that’s when he saw the bruises and the wounds all over her face and body.  Jongin’s chest tightened. He felt a raw anger within him that is struggling to burst out.

“Reena, wake up. You have to go to the clinic.” Said Jongin.

But Reena continued to sleep.

It took Jongin a couple of minutes before Reena partially opened her eyes.

“Jongin…”

She smiled.

“I didn’t allow them this time… This time, I fought hard to stop them.” Said Reena.

She looked proud despite her physical weakness.

And then she succumbed to sleep again.

Jongin felt a whirling of mixed emotions. He could not describe which is which. But he is sure what they are. He is angry over those bullies, he will make sure they get what they deserved. His chest is aching by the sight of this weak and wounded Reena. If only he could turn back time, he would force her to not go to school. No… if he could turn back time, he would go back to when the bullying started and would stop it right there.

Jongin reached for Reena’s face. She had a wound on her cheek and another on her lip.

The bullies wasn’t able to tarnish her beautiful face completely. Despite the wounds, Jongin was still left staring. And then he lowered his face until his lips touched Reena’s. Reena’s lips were cold. But it’s softness and sweetness still made Jongin lose himself. And then he quickly pulled away.  

It was a brief kiss, their lips did not touch too long, but it was enough for Jongin. It was enough for him to realize that he was stupid.

How can he have fallen like this when he just said the other day that he doesn’t care about this woman?

Jongin sighed.

This is bad.

Jongin carried Reena to the clinic. He left her to the care of the nurse. He went back to the Prime section battle. But this time, he was clear. Whatever happens, those bullies must pay. And if he has to stop hiding behind Kim Jongin’s nerdy image, he will.

“Lu Han.” Said Jongin.

Lu Han turned.

“There you are Jongin, we’ve been looking for you. The third game is about to start.” Said Lu Han.

“The third game. I want to participate in it.” Said Jongin

“Huh?” Lu Han looked confused. “I thought you said you don’t want physical activities?”

“I don’t but this time, I want to.” Said Jongin. “Right now, there is nothing more I want than to make those people see that they are not invincible, that they have a weakness and I will reveal that weakness to them.”

Lu Han could see the anger in Jongin’s eyes.

“Are you sure?” asked Lu Han.

“Yes.” Said Jongin. “I will compete for the third game.”

Lu Han sighed and nodded. It doesn’t matter if they win or lose, what matters is that they made the point clear to everyone. Lu Han went in front.

“We are ready for the third game.” Said Lu Han.

It is a marathon. The person who finishes the run with the shorter time wins.

“Tao is our representative.” Said Seohyun.

Lu Han knew Tao could run well. His stamina is also good.

“Our representative is Kim Jongin.” Said Lu Han.

Everyone did not expect that. Kim Jongin will run?

Tao and Kim Jongin started the race. Tao was ahead for mostly the first part. But on the 15th minute, Tao started to slow his phase. That’s when Jongin started speeding up his. And on the 25th minute, Kim Jongin reached the finish line ahead of Tao by a minute.

Everyone went still.

That did not just happen.

Kim Jongin won over Tao in a race?

Lu Han faced everyone.

“This is the start of Prime Team’s preparations for the sports event. The entire class will train and will be on the best condition for the coming games. We will not underestimate our opponent teams. We will come ready and we will win. This is Prime teams’ new approach to winning . We will no longer just sit still and wait for our opponents, we will give this sports day our best.” Said Lu Han.

Krystal sighed and then she whispered beside Seohyun.

“Your guy looks pretty cool right now.” Said Krystal.

“He is.” Said Seohyun. “He always was.”

“You go tell them, Buddy!” shouted Jill Park.

Lu Han suppressed a reaction.

Will Jill Park tail him like this every time?

----------------

Kim Jongin walked the steps of the corridors and heard the voices of women talking by the stairs.

“Reena Choi passed out while she was being beaten.” Said the first woman. “Weird how she tried to fight today.”

“Right. The past months, she stopped fighting us. She just accepted what we do to her. It was beginning to get boring. And now she’s starting to fight again. I wonder what happened?” said the second woman.

“Yeah that’s right.” Said the first woman. “The Duchess has to know this development. She doesn’t get her hands dirty that’s why she doesn’t know what actually happens when we have fun with Reena Choi. But she ought to know. She plans every thing anyway.”

Kim Jongin clenched his hand.

Seohyun is behind everything. But why? What does she have against Reena that she would continuously torment Reena like this?

And then Kim Jongin heard a voice whispering  behind him.

“Sounds repulsive, huh?”

Jongin turned to see Jill Park behind him.

“These people… they don’t have anything to do all day except to think of ways of hurting my bestfriend.” Said Jill.

She refers to Reena when she says best friend. Jongin had to remind himself that.

“And I don’t like them. When I see them, they look like evil creatures hiding behind pretty faces. It reminds me of aliens looking like humans in the movie MIB.” Said Jill.

Jill Park’s comparison maybe weird but she’s right. These people look decent on the outside, but they’re rotting in the inside.

“I wish I can make them disappear from my best friend’s life so that she can be happy.” Said Jill Park.

Kim Jongin almost had the same wish. But no they can’t disappear yet. They have to suffer before they disappear.

-------------------

Lu Han went to the faculty room.

“I am so happy of what you did to the prime section” said Mr. Yu, prime Section’s adviser. “Now that they are all going to do some trainings and stuff, I will be fully supporting them… There should be some form of team spirit representation. Ah! I know, we can have a class shirt that everyone will wear during the sport’s day! I will make sure we will all be united and let the fire burning.”

Mr. Yu is overly excited about this.

“Just being there for us is enough moral support, Sir.” Said Lu Han.

“Of course not! That’s not enough!” said Mr. Yu.

Lu Han just nodded.

“Well then I’ll let the class know about the shirt suggestion, Sir.” Said Lu Han.

Lu Han then went on his way and then he stopped.

“Right, I forgot to tell him about the team color.” Said Lu Han. The prime class voted the color of red as their team color.

Lu Han went back to the faculty office when he heard Mr. Yu taking with someone else.

 “This is going the way I like it. This way I can ask everyone in Prime section to buy shirts from me. And then the other class will also feel like they need shirts and they will also order team shirts. And it won’t stop there. I will make team wrist bands and team socks and caps!” said Mr. Yu.

“That’s really mischievous of you Mr. Yu.” Said a female teacher.

“That’s because I like you so much. I will go through that length just to buy that necklace you want.” Said Mr. Yu.

“Aww… you’re so cute!” said the woman.

Lu Han clenched his hands tight. Mr. Yu is going to use the class just to get money and get a girlfriend? He’s going to exploit the team spirit that’s only starting in the section. What kind of a man is this?

Lu Han felt raw fury as he walked away. At night fall, Lu Han was still in the school. When he saw the faculty office lights off, he went towards it. Inside the faculty office, he looked for Mr. Yu’s desk. He held a small pail of paint and started writing something on Mr. Yu’s table. This is his way of getting back at this horrible man.

And then Lu Han walked out of the faculty office.

“Buddy?”

Lu Han closed his eyes. Is that Jill Park?

Jill walked towards Lu Han. Lu Han hid his pail of paint behind him.

“I was looking for you all over the school. We have to go back to the dorm together. Did you forget the accountability policy?” asked Jill Park.

“We don’t need to go back together.” Said Lu Han. “As long as we both get back there before curfew, there shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Oh…. Right…” said Jill Park. “Umm… is there a problem?”

“Why do you ask?” asked Lu Han.

“You don’t look Ok.” Said Jill Park. “Your eyes… they look weird. It doesn’t have that shinning glow you usually have. You… don’t look like a shinning sun flower right now.”

Lu Han tightened his hold on the pail.

“Your eyes look like a hawk ready to catch its prey.” Said Jill Park.

The pail shook with how much force Lu Han was holding it.

“What’s that you’re holding?” asked Jill Park.

“Nothing.” Said Lu Han.

Jill took a peak. A drop of red paint dropped on the floor.

“Are you sure?” asked Jill Park.

Lu Han took a deep breath.

“Go home, Jill.” Said Lu Han. “You shouldn’t be here this late.”

And then Lu Han walked away.

---------------------

Jongin sighed. Reena Choi is as stubborn as a rock. She’s walking towards the bus stop like she did not faint earlier. And worse part is that he’s becoming like a stalker.

Reena stopped walking and turned back at him.

“Are you… following me?” asked Reena.

“No. Of course not. I’m on my way to my work.” Said Jongin.

“Oh right.” Said Reena. “All right.”

Reena went to the bus stop and almost went up a bus when Jongin pulled her back.

“Hey…” said Reena

“You still look pale. And you just fainted earlier.  I think your Boss wouldn’t mind you not going to work today.” Said Jongin.

Reena smiled.

“Are you… worried about me?” asked Reena

“Huh?” Jongin cleared his throat. “That’s not the point here. If you faint again, you may not make it back to the dorm by curfew.”

Reena giggled.

“That’s true but… I’m really fine now.” Said Reena.

Jongin stared at Reena’s wounded face. How can anyone have hurt her?

“Besides, the noodle house is my breather.” Said Reena. “When I’m at work, I become useful and then I forget things that happened during my day.”

Reena saw another bus coming.

“See you later.”

“Wait.” Said Jongin.

“huh?”

“Later… go to Voyage Café before you go home. Let’s… go back to the dorm together from now on.” Said Jongin.

“huh….” Reena could not utter a word.

“Be sure to be there.” And then Jongin walked away.

Reena touched her chest. Her heart beat so fast she could feel the pain on her rib.

“What’s the matter with me?” asked Reena. “Why… am I feeling this way?”

------------------------

The Prime team was at the gym doing some cardio exercises when some of the faculty members went in.

“There will be an announcement at 4 in the afternoon later. Nobody is allowed to leave the school before then.” Said one of the teachers.

“I wonder what that is about.” said Krystal, doing some push ups.

“Must be something about the Sports Day.” Said Seohyun, holding Krystal’s ankle.

Lu Han’s eyes thinned. He could feel something bitter in his mouth. The consequence of his rash action is coming. It can’t be avoided.

“I don’t regret it.” Thought Lu Han.

But his scholarship will be in danger and that’s the thing he’s worried about.

When the clock hit 4, everyone was in the field. The head of the faculty started speaking.

“This morning, we regret to inform you that there was a vandalism that happened in the faculty room. The content of the message of the vandalism is now being investigated. However, the vandalism is to be condemned. Nobody is allowed to destroy school facilities.”

Lu Han sighed.

 “Last night, there were two students who were last seen in the school premises.” Said the head. “ Students Lu Han and Jill Park.”

Everyone was shocked.

“It’s definitely Jill Park. She’s becoming alarmingly dangerous.” Said someone behind Lu Han.

Lu Han clenched his hand. Guilt is eating him up.

Lu Han and Jill Park were asked to go to the stage. Lu Han was ready.  

But just before Lu Han could speak, Jill Park spoke up.

“It was me.” Said Jill Park. “I overheard a conversation of Mr. Yu and someone else. I heard he’s going to sell shirts for the sports day using the Prime section’s trainings to gather attention to make money. I didn’t like that. I did the vandalism as a sign of protest.”

She heard that conversation too?

“You will be punished for the act you have done against a faculty member and against the school.” Said the head.

“No… That’s-” Lu Han tried to speak up but Jill shut him up with her laugh.

Jill Park laughed loud in front of everyone.

“It’s ok. I will accept the punishment. But, please investigate Mr. Yu. He will make his students lose respect on faculty memebers.” Said Jill Park.

“Everyone, you can go home now. Jill Park, go to the faculty room now.” Said the head.

Jill took a deep breath and then she followed the head.

“Wait.” Lu Han followed Jill and the head.

But Jill did not look back at him and just continued walking.

------------------

Jill Park sighed.

Suspension for three days. And she has to repaint the entire faculty room on the weekend. It’s going to be three boring days and a burdensome weekend. That’s the consequence of her meddling.

Jill exited the faculty building and as she stepped out, she felt someone grabbing her wrist and dragging her. It was a familiar man.

Lu Han?

What is he doing?

“Hey, Buddy. Where are we going?” asked Jill Park.

But Lu Han did not answer. He kept dragging her until they reached a vacant science laboratory.

Jill touched her hurt wrist. Lu Han was not gentle.

Lu Han locked the door behind him.

“Hey, what’s up?” asked Jill giving off a faint smile.

Lu Han’s eyes are again scary like last night. Jill doesn’t like seeing this kind of eyes. It makes her want to hide under her blanket.

“You.” Said Lu Han finally. “Why did you do that?”

“Do…what?” asked Jill Park.

“Why did you take the blame?” asked Lu Han.

“Oh that…” said Jill Park. “I… just think that it’s better this way.”

“But they will punish you.” Said Lu Han. “You will suffer for something you did not do.”

“I know.” Said Jill.

“So why?” asked Lu Han.

“Hmm… I don’t know. I just don’t think that you should be punished when that Mr. Yu is the real monster.” Said Jill Park. “Also… You are someone who can do greater things than I do.”

All the while, Jill’s expression was serious. She was not the smiley happy go lucky crazy girl while talking.

“If they learn of what you did, your image will be tarnished and whatever great things you can do, you will no longer be able to do.” Said Jill. “That is why I took the blame, so that you can continue to shine.”

Lu Han clenched his hands. He could not speak. All he knows is that guilt inside him is eating him up.

“Are you feeling guilty?” asked Jill. “Stop feeling that way. You can make it up to me by being the best buddy ever. Plus, you can make it up to me by promising me three things. First… stop those people who hurt Reena Choi.” Said Jill Park.

She’s really concerned over Reena.

“The second and third, I need to think about it.” Said Jill.

“Don’t ever do this again.” Said Lu Han. “Don’t ever take the blame for me again. I am someone who knows the consequences of my actions. I did what I did knowing I will get punished. I don’t want anyone suffering for my sake.”

“But I’m your friend. More than that, I’m your roommate. We are buddies. It is only right that we share the suffering.” Said Jill.

“You are not my friend. You are just my schoolmate. So stop assuming that much and stop acting like it.” Said Lu Han.

Jill avoided Lu Han’s eyes.

Jill stopped talking for a moment. And then with her overly moist eyes she looked up at Lu Han.

“You cannot stop us to be friends. It’s inevitable. We will be together for a very long time. That is why you cannot stop it.” Said Jill Park. “Whether you like it or not, you’re my buddy now.”

Lu Han saw the determination in Jill’s eyes.

“I will protect you, Lu Han. I will protect you whatever it takes.” Said Jill.