Maitre d’hotel

Rooftop Rumble

 

Chapter 2

Maitre d’hotel

 

What did that nerd just say?

 “No. I don’t want a roommate, but I have no choice on the matter since the dorm already registered me here. So it doesn’t really matter whoever or whatever my roommate is, a dog or a cat. As long as you don’t interfere with my life, I won’t interfere with yours.”

Grrrr! That guy is really getting on Reena’s nerves. He even compared her to a dog or a cat just to get his point straight. Though Reena doesn’t have the slightest intention to look like a girl in front of that nerd guy, he has just told her flat that she’s not a girl at all in his sight!

Arrogant Nerd!

He’s not even good looking!

Reena sighed. She tried to go back to the secretary earlier to no avail. The secretary already left and the guard downstairs is completely clueless what to do.

So what now? The other room is locked. It’s still morning but she’s so tired she needs to rest. She needs to get some sleep. But that nerd guy doesn’t seem to be a gentleman.

“What am I going to do?”

And then Reena heard the bedroom door open. She saw the nerd guy coming out with a large bag on his back.

“Going out?” asked Reena.

The guy didn’t answer and just walked out.

As long as you don’t interfere with my life, I won’t interfere with yours.

Well then, if he really wants complete privacy, then fine.

Reena entered the bed room. He’s out, he didn’t say for how long. But as long as he’s out, she can take advantage of the bedroom.

There were two beds in the room, around 2 and a half feet apart.

Two and a half  feet.

Too close.

 So it doesn’t really matter whoever or whatever my roommate is, a dog or a cat.

Reena snorted. The closeness of the beds did not bother the nerd guy at all. So what is she bothered about?

“What if he’s not interested in women that’s why it was so easy for him to accept the situation?” thought Reena. “Could he be…no he couldn’t be…”

Could he be gay?

Reena saw the mirror on the other side of the room. She stared at her reflection. Her shoulders dropped.

“Yeah right. Who am I kidding? Nobody would ever see me as a woman. Even a nerd nobody speaks to doesn’t see me as one. I’m such a joke.” Said Reena.

Reena laid on one of the bed and covered herself with the blanket.

“If he’s going to treat me like a dog or cat… should I treat him like a gold fish?” thought Reena. “Nah gold fishes are cute. This nerd guy is irritating.”

She thought of different ways to overcome her irritation until she fell asleep. She didn’t know how long she was able to sleep, when her alarm clock woke her up, it was already evening.

“Oh no, I need to run.” Said Reena. Reena went to the bathroom, quickly checked herself, took her bag and run. She took a train going to work and was relieved when she made it a few minutes before six.

Reena entered the noodle house. It was a very cheap noodle house. But a few months ago, on the instance Reena was badly in need of money, this noodle house was the only one hiring part time workers.

“Reena, I need to talk to you.” Said her Boss.

Reena gulped. She was absent yesterday. And although the bullies are the one to be blamed, the boss has the right to be mad because she did not inform him why she didn’t make it.

“I was worried yesterday. I thought something already happened to you.” Said the Boss.

The Boss is a middle aged man. He’s already bald, but he’s the nicest and most caring person Reena has ever met.

“I’m sorry Boss.” Said Reena.

“What did they do to you this time?” asked the Boss.

When Reena started going to work with bruises and wounds, it wasn’t hard for the boss to find out she was being bullied at school.

“I wasn’t hurt that bad this time.” Said Reena. “But they did tear my uniform and I couldn’t leave the school until six yesterday.”

The Boss sighed.

“I thought something like that may have happened.” Said the Boss.

“I’m really sorry Boss. I promise to make it up to you.” Said Reena.

“If you can make them stop hurting you and start being stronger in front of them, then that’s enough to make it up to me.”

Reena felt hot tears stinging her eye. Her Boss cares for her more than her own relatives do.

Reena’s Boss patted her back. It’ll soon be over and everything will be fine. Who knows, every tomorrow has a surprise in store.” Said the Boss. “Now go make two beef noodles for table number 3, ok?”

Reena smiled.

“Sure. I’m on it.” Reena wiped her eyes and proceeded to make the noodles.

She was serving table number 3 when she heard a man wearing very formal suits seated on table number 2. He was talking on his phone.

“I’m just resting in my tub honey. Yeah with the wine you sent me yesterday.”

Huh? Tub? Does the noodle house look like a bathroom? And wine? He’s only drinking water.

“Oh, are you sure you want me to go with you for dinner? I mean… I got some problems with my credit card, Y’know.” Said the guy. “So I’m trying not to dine out. Good thing my chef at home is an expert so I don’t really need to dine out. I should probably invite you here next time. ”

Chef at home? So what is he doing inside a cheap noodle house if he has a chef at home?

Tsk tsk!

This guy… is a bogus!

Is he trying to deceive a rich woman?

“Oh, you’re now in the Imperial Luxury Hotel? Well… Oh You’re paying for a formal dinner? Well then… if that’s the case…”

The guy looked at his half-finished noodles.

“I heard that Hotel is one of the best if not the best Luxury restaurant in the country. I heard the service is A class and top notch. So… I guess I should go with you for dinner.” Said the guy.

And then the guy laughed nervously and overly loud.

“Oh of course not, It won’t be my first time. I have been there a couple of times. Now? You mean now?” Oh all right! See you Babe.”

The guy immediately stood up, left some bill on the table and hurried out.

“That kind of guy… how can women fall for his tricks and not see through him?” thought Reena.

Reena went to table number 2 to clean it when she noticed a bag on the chair.

Did the man leave the bag?

“Boss, the customer left this.” Said Reena. “I guess he was in a hurry and forgot his things.”

“Is there something important inside? If not so important, we can just wait for him to return here.” Said the Boss.

Reena took a look inside the bag. It has several phones and some papers. It even has some passports and some money.

“Boss, the things inside looks really important.” Said Reena.

“It would be too late to follow him now.” Said the Boss.

Yeah, the customer left a few minutes ago…

“Oh, you’re now in the Imperial Luxury Hotel? Well… Oh You’re paying for a formal dinner? Well then… if that’s the case…”

Right! He’s in the Imperial Luxury Hotel!

“I know where he went Boss. Maybe I can still find him and return the bag to him.” Said Reena.

“All right, but be back soon.” said the Boss.

“I will.” Reena took the bag, took off her apron and went to get her wallet before running out to catch the train.

Imperial Luxury Hotel.

It’s the most famous hotel in the country. And though it’s really expensive, rich people still patronize it like crazy.

“I don’t think I’ll enjoy a formal dinner.” Said Reena. “Too fancy would stop my appetite.”

Besides, she doesn’t know how to act in a formal dinner. She’d be too busy fidgeting around than enjoying her meal. Things like learning which spoon is right for which part of the meal is just too… burdensome.

That guy… did he study formal dining ethics before he started tricking women?           

If he’s an expert in what he does, he probably knows a lot about high class living.

Reena reached the place. She gulped.  The entrance is so wide and full of wonderful lights and fountains. No doubt that this is a luxury hotel!

She suddenly felt a great level of insecurity and fear. How will she ever give the bag to that customer? Will they allow her in? She’s just wearing shirt and jeans, will the guard stop her?

Oh no…

Reena took several steps towards the door when she noticed the guard looking at her.

Is he going to tell her that her clothes are not suited for the place?

“Is there a problem, Mam?” asked guard.

Huh?

“You look uneasy.” Said the guard.

Oh… her worries apparently showed on her face.

“I’m ok… it’s just that someone who went here forgot his bag at the place I work at. I wanted to return the bag to him.” Said Reena. “He’s here to have dinner.”

“Oh but Mam I would need you to give me his name so that I can ask inside for him.” Said the guard. “Do you know his name?”

Reena shook her head.

“What in the world are you doing here?”

Reena heard a familiar voice of a woman behind her. She turned to look who it was. And then her chest started squeezing in combined fear and dread.

“Tsk. Why do I have to see you of all people?”

It’s Krystal Jung, Neon High’s Princess. Though Krystal never directly bullied Reena, she’s close friends with the bullies and even laughed at her on different occasions for looking ‘so ugly you wanna puke’.

“This night was going so well. When my friends arrive and see you, I’m sure this night would turn out really bad… at least for you.” Said Krystal. “And I was hoping we could have a really good and fun night together!”

Her friends are coming too?

Reena felt the pumping on her chest. She needs to leave, she needs to leave now.

Reena faced the guard.

“Can I just leave this bag with you, Sir?” asked Reena.

“We need to inspect it first Mam, I am not sure what the contents of the bags are.” Said the guard.

The guard suddenly had doubts on her.

“If I were you, I’ll just leave.” Said Krystal. “It’s not good for the mouse to still be around when the cats are coming.”

What is she to do? Should she just go back to the noodle house and take the bag with her? Maybe the owner will go back there to look for his bag. Maybe it was really not meant for him to retrieve his bag tonight.

Reena took a deep breath.

“I… just want to return this bag to the owner.” Said Reena.

“Oh, so you know how to reason out?” asked Krystal. “I thought you just never talk.”

“I… think the things inside this bag are important to the owner that’s why I came.” Said Reena. “He’s inside having dinner.”

Reena felt like her voice was trembling. She needs to leave, those cruel people are coming. It’s her first time talking with the Princess Krystal. And she really wants to return the bag to the owner. Her mind is in chaos.

“If you let them treat you like stain, then you’re a stain.” Said a voice of a man. His voice was close to them.

Reena turned to look at the person who spoke, Her breath was caught. The man is good looking, he’s gorgeous. He’s wearing a really formal tuxedo. His hair swept back, crisp and clean. Though he’s a meter away from her, Reena could smell his faint perfume.

Reena reached for to wipe it. She felt like she might have already drooled.

What an amazing sight.

Will she see this kind of handsome man if she stays at the entrance of this place every day?

The man took another step towards them. He walked with confidence and masculine edge. His aura is screaming for everyone to look at him and lose their breaths in the process. Reena wanted to close her eyes, he’s glowing in her sight.

“If you let them speak as though you’re nothing, then you’re nothing.” Said the man.

Huh? What did he say again?

Reena could not absorb a word.

The man arched a brow at her. And then his brows narrowed. He took another step towards her and reached his point finger to Reena’s chin lifting it up to close .

“Don’t open it too long. A fly may come in.” said the man.

This man’s voice… is so familiar… where did she hear his voice before?

“Sir.” Said the guard. “Good thing you’re here. This young lady seems to need help.”

Reena’s thought went back to reality. Right, she’s here for a purpose! She’s here for the bag!

“Oppa!” Krystal went to the man. “I invited my friends tonight. I want you to meet them.”

The guy ignored Krystal and looked at Reena.

“What is the help you need, Miss?” asked the man.

Reena noticed the man had a name tag on his chest.

Kai

So he’s name is Kai?

“Miss?” repeated Kai.

“Oh…Um…someone who’s dinning in the restaurant of this hotel needs his bag. He left it somewhere.” Said Reena. But I don’t know how to reach him.

Kai took a moment to consider what Reena said.

“Don’t bother, Oppa. She’s just a nuisance in school. I don’t even know how she could think of coming to a place like this.” Said Krystal.

“If the person who owns that bag is really dinning in this hotel, then that means I have to help you get the bag to the owner.” Said Kai

Really? Wow! Reena felt like a burden was lifted off her back.

“I’m the Maitre d’hotel here. I manage people’s dining experience in this hotel. If the owner of the bag doesn’t have a good time here because of his worry about his bag, that would make his dining experience horrible. And that means I failed as Maitre d’hotel of Imperial.” Said Kai.

Wow… His words are full of authority and sense!

“Oppa. You don’t really need to-“ Krystal tried to interfere. But Kai faced her with a stern look on his face.

“Miss Jung, I am glad you came here again tonight.” His expression suddenly became softer and then he smiled. “I will be looking forward to meeting your friends. But there’s a ‘no late policy’ at the restaurant. Any reservations without the person who reserved it at the time of reservation means they are withdrawing. Your table might end up being given to waitlisted customers.”

Krystal’s eyes widened. She immediately looked at her watch.

“Gosh! I need to go.” Krystal immediately went inside the hotel.

“May I ask what things are inside the bag that led you to believe the owner might need it tonight?” asked Kai turning back to Reena.

“Oh, I checked it just to be sure. And there were some papers… important papers like passports.” Said Reena.

Kai nodded. He then took the bag from Reena.

“I’ll handle it. Do you know any information or description of the person?” asked Kai

“I don’t know his name… he was just a customer at the noodle house. Oh but he’s good looking and he’s here for a date, he’s wearing gray coat and pants. Ummm…”

Reena didn’t want to say bad things but this might help.

“He sounded like he’s not really rich but is pretending to be rich. I know that sounded really bad but… umm… I am not sure if that helps. I do think though that he’s with a really rich woman.” Said Reena.

Kai’s eyes thinned.

“I’ll consider that information. I’ll go inside now.” Said Kai.

Reena nodded.

“Thank you.” She said.

“Thank you sir.” Said the guard.

Even the guard gives this Kai guy high respects.

“Oh.” Said Kai

“Remember what I said earlier?” asked Kai.

“Huh?”

Oh right, he said something earlier but she failed to hear any of his words. She was too awestruck with his… looks.

Kai sighed.

“Let me repeat it for you.” Said Kai.

Kai went close to Reena making her stop breathing. He bent down and leaned to the side of her face, Reena closed her eyes. He’s soooo close! She could feel his warmth.

“Don’t forget this. Think about it and remember it. If you let them treat you like stain, then you’re a stain. If you let them treat you like you’re nothing, then you’re nothing.”

And then Kai walked inside.

Reena slowly opened her eyes and tightly closed her hands on her side.

So that’s why his voice was so familiar…

That voice, how can she forget?

“The choice never left your hand, you just tried to take the easy way out. You wanted to stop fighting and just let them hurt you.”

“He was that guy in school yesterday. He was the guy who was speaking on the phone while I was hiding in that trashcan.” thought Reena.

“So whatever it is they’re doing to you… you somehow deserved it”

Reena bit her lip as she felt her chest squeeze.

He was that guy who said those hurtful words.

Does that mean that Kai guy studies at Neon High? But how can that be? How can she not notice such a person? A person like him who’s light is so bright, it would be impossible to not see him.

Who is Kai?