Vitamin Drink

Rooftop Rumble

 

Chapter 6

Vitamin Drink

 

Reena was only able to solve two problems.

Out of a hundred. She’s too slow.

Reena lightly punched her head. Why can’t she get algebra?!

She packed her things and dreadfully walked across the field when she saw a group of students from the Prime Class jogging around the field.

Earlier today, her bullies tried to strip her in the library. If this group did not come… If Lu Han did not stop the bullies, she would have had her first exposure in her life.

It was the first time someone tried and has successfully stopped her bullies. He may not have stoppe them forever, but he sure had the guts to call them off. Lu Han is brave. He suits being the Council President.

Reena saw Jongin jogging lazily at the back of everyone.

Is he still sick? Last night, Jongin was sick that he could not even walk on his own. He did not have a peaceful night sleep due to nightmares. How come he’s jogging in the field now?

“Well… he still looks sick. He’s jogging like he’s going to faint anytime.” Said Reena.

Reena sighed.

In order to not blow his cover of being the introvert nerd, he would really do these things?

--------------------

Kim Jongin entered the locker room.

“You’d be better at it in no time.” Said Lu Han. “You did a few rounds today. I’m sure you’d be better tomorrow, Jongin.”

Jongin smirked inside. This Lu Han guy is the ‘competitive-team spirit’ type. Even if his team is composed of the physically weak, he still thinks he has the chance to win versus the stronger members of the Prime section.

“We just need a couple more of the conditioning exercises and we’re ready.” Said Lu Han.

Jongin opened his locker. Inside he found a vitamin drink with a note attached to it.

It is not right for a sick person to just go on jogging around. If you ever faint and get hospitalized because of it, be sure to give me a message if you can’t get back to the dorm by curfew.

Jongin chuckled.

The note sounded stupid. How will he be able to send her a message if he was so sick that he would be taken to the hospital?

Jongin lifted the vitamin drink. It’s strawberry flavored. Too girly for his taste.

There’s nobody else in this school who would know he was sick.

It would only come from Reena Choi.

Strawberry?

This Reena Choi also has a girly side, huh?

And then the scene earlier flashed back on him. He entered the library with Lu Han and the others earlier that day. Lu Han was going to show them the different kinds of trainings they could do through the video tapes in the library. But when they entered, there was a commotion around. People were looking at one direction, everyone’s attention was on a group of people. Jongin normally doesn’t pay attention to anything, but his eyes saw something that made him look back at the scene.

Reena Choi.

She was standing at the middle, two guys holding her at each side. A girl was opening her blouse buttons. Reena had her eyes tightly closed, her hands clenched. The other girls were smiling and even winking at each other. The girl who was opening the button got impatient and even pulled some buttons harshly, Jongin noticed one button flying away. And then Reena’s chest started to get exposed, the upper portion of her bra was almost visible.

Kim Jongin clenched his hand. He promised himself he will not get involved. He promised he will maintain his shadow like presence. He will stay unnoticed just as he always do. He had been successful until now.  Getting involved in this kind of thing will destroy his plans. But why does he feel at the edge?

Is it because she’s now one of the few people who know his secret? Is it because she helped him yesterday and took care of him when he was sick?

And then Lu Han spoke. He said words that made the bullies stop.

Jongin felt relief wash over him.

Why is he bothered?

But when he saw Reena Choi’s eyes looking at him, he felt that sickening feeling inside. He felt like she’s screaming for help and he wasn’t able to do anything. Her eyes started to get wet and she seemed to be at the verge of tears.

Jonging felt something burning in his chest. It felt vile like poison.

He looked away. It was as if she was telling him he was a coward for not helping her.

But who is she? Why would he risk his peaceful life on just a roommate he barely knows?

 Jongin sighed as he stared at the vitamin drink.

If he was living as Kai earlier, what would he have done?

It would have been entirely different if it were Kai and not Jongin in that scene.

Kai… he is the kind of guy who is pretty much like Lu Han. He’s the guy who would make sure everything is in order, every one taken care of.

But why is he thinking of Kai when he’s living his Jongin life?

“As long as you’re the same person, someone is bound to overstep the other life you live.”

This girl is dangerous. He has to beware.

----------------------

Lu Han entered the rooftop house.

It’s small.

But cozy.

“This will be my home for a while.” Said Lu Han.

Lu Han entered the bedroom. It was bed room B.

He put his luggage on the bed.

The secretary said he’ll have a roommate but it seems the roommate hasn’t moved in yet. The room is pretty clean.

“It’s quiet.” Said Lu Han.

The other room’s tenants were also not around when he came in.

“It seems I’ll still get a little privacy here.” Said Lu Han.

 And then Lu Han’s phone rang. He answered it.

“What is it?” asked Lu Han.

Lu Han closed his eyes.

“I have no intentions to go back. Tell him I have found a place to stay… I have no intention of returning…what do you mean? The scholarship?”

Lu Han took a deep breath.

“Where is he?”

Lu Han sighed.

“I’ll go to him.”

Lu Han stood up. He clenched his hands as he went towards the door. And then he turned back and looked around the rooftop house that is to be his home.

“I guess independence needs to wait for a while.”

Lu Han left the rooftop house.

You need to hurry. He’s leaving in an hour.

Lu Han almost ran as he went out of the dorm. On his way out, he bumped into someone.

“Oh, sorry.” He barely looked back at the person. But he stopped his steps. And then he looked back.

“You.”  Said Lu Han.

Reena Choi? What is she doing here?

Reena Choi rubbed her shoulder.

“Did I hurt you?” asked Lu Han.

Reena shook her head. But she continued to hold her shoulders.

“I’m fine.” Said Reena.

She’s not good at lying.

“Did you say you’re fine? You’re rubbing your shoulder.” Said Lu Han.

Reena has a blank expression on her face as she dropped her hand to her side..

“She’s fine.”

Lu Han turned back and saw a familiar face.

Kim Jongin?

“She said she’s fine.” Repeated Kim Jongin.

That’s the first time Lu Han heard Kim Jongin’s words this loud and clear.

What are these two doing here?

Lu Han’s phone rang again.

“I need to go. I’m sorry for bumping into you.” Lu Han then walked out in a hurry.

“What… was he doing here?” asked Reena.

Jongin did not answer and just went straight to the elevator. Reena followed him.

“There are a few students from Neon High in this dorm. There are familiar faces but… This is the first time I saw Lu Han. Can he be a tenant here? Or maybe he visited someone.” Said Reena.

Jongin pointed at an announcement on the elevator wall.

Reena read it.

No Visitor Policy.

Oh.

Right.

Then that means he is a tenant.

“Right.” Said Reena. “I wonder which floor he stays.”

Jongin made an uninterested sighed.

“It’s just that I think he must be rich. It’s weird that he would stay in a dorm.” Said Reena.

“You’re interested?” asked Jongin.

“Huh? No.” said Reena. “Of course not.”

There was a moment of silence.

“He… is a good person.” Said Reena.

That somehow irritated Jongin. Does a one-time help make a person good? Does she think he’s good since he saved her from embarrassment earlier in the library?

Reena reached the room and quickly changed into her oversized shirt and jeggings. She needs to hurry to the noodle house. And then she saw Jongin carrying his large bag ready to go out too.

“You’re going to work today?” asked Reena.

Jongin did not answer as he continued to walk on. Reena followed him.

“Hey, can’t you take a day off? You were really sick last night. And you went to jog earlier today. You should probably not go to work today.” Said Reena.

What is this girl doing? Is she trying to give him an advise?

“I don’t think you should interfere with matters that regards to me.” Said Jongin.

Reena stopped.

“It’s my decision to go to work or not. Mind your own business.” said Jongin. “Besides, my job is Kai’s job. You are not involved in Kai’s life so stay out of it.”

Reena sighed.

She was only concerned. He was barely able to walk last night.

“I’m only worried that you might not make it to curfew. Tonight, you’re going to come back before curfew, right?” asked Reena.

“I will tell you if I can’t.” said Kai.

“All right.” Said Reena. “Umm… I might probably go home by eleven later. I need to finish the dishes before going home so it’s going to be a bit late.”

Jongin ignored her as he went out of the elevator. Reena followed him.

“Am I allowed to ask you a question?” asked Reena.

Jongin did not answer.

“I guess silence means yes.” Said Reena.

“In my case, it means No.” said Jongin.

Reena bit her lip. It’s so hard to communicate with this person.

“Oh. Ok.” Said Reena. “I was just wondering how you could transform from being a nerdy Jongin into a … a really cool maître de.”

Jongin stopped.

“I said No. You can’t ask questions.” Said Jongin.

“I did not ask.” Said Reena

Jongin’s eyes thinned into slits.

Technically, she did not ask a question. But she still said what she wanted to ask.

“I told you to not bother about Kai.” Said Jongin. “So stop being curious.”

That’s… impossible. It’s impossible to not be curious when Jongin is so different from Kai!

Reena bit her lip again, something she does often. Jongin is getting irritated with her.

Reena reached the bus stop. She halted her steps but Jongin continued walking.

He did not even spare her a glance as he walked on. Did he even notice she was no longer walking with him?

Fine.

“I’ll see you later!” called out Reena.

And then Reena took her bus.

What was she expecting? Was she expecting that his night of sickness would have melted something between them? Did she expect that somehow, they’re no longer hostile strangers but would become closer and be more like friends?

“He was clear from the beginning that he did not want any friend. He did not want to get be interfered.” Said Reena.

So she’s actually a fool to feel sad about the situation.

And then Reena’s bus stopped. She alighted it and went to the noodle house to do her work as usual.

-----------------------

 

Jongin sighed.

Right, Reena Choi stopped by the bus stop. She said her work is fifteen minutes from the dorm. It would probably be around ten minutes from Imperial.

Jongin turned back and saw Reena going inside the bus.

She could still go to work despite what happened earlier? Girls love to wallow on self-pity right? Shouldn’t she cry in her room because of what the bullies did to her?  What if she was stripped in that library?

And then Jongin recalled that time when Reena went home with her torn blouse and wounded face.

Yeah, right. During that time, she also still went to work.

Nobody now has an excuse for being absent from work unless they are dying.

----------------------

Reena put the apron back on the shelf.

“Good job today, Reena.” Said Reena’s Boss.

Reena smiled. It was busy evening with a lot of troubles but the boss looks happy still.

The Boss gave Reena her salary.

“Thanks Boss”

Reena went out of the noodle house. She was walking towards the bus stop when she heard a ring on her phone.

“Hello.” Reena answered her phone.

“There’s a café near Imperial. It’s called Voyage Café. Meet me there.”

It’s Jongin’s voice.

“Huh?”

“I’ll be a little late out, but it’s better if we’re going back to the dorm together than have one of us subjected to questioning.” Said Kai.

Oh, It’s Jongin.

“Umm… ok…where is that café again?”

Kai gave instructions and Reena went to look for the café.

Reena reached the Voyage Café. It was a medium sized café that has a very warm feel.

Is he expecting her to buy coffee? She doesn’t have budget for coffee tonight. And she’s afraid of not getting sleep.

But it’s better if we’re going back to the dorm together

That part of what Jongin said earlier on the phone made Reena smile, especially when she imagines a hot maître de Kai talking.

Than have one of us subjected to questioning

That part brought her back to reality though. He was of course just very concerned over the curfew and the interrogation that is why he wanted them to go back to the dorm together.

“Are you Reena?” A handsome man asked.

Reena blinked a few times, is he talking to her?

“Umm… yes.” Said Reena.

“Hi I’m Yunho, I’m the owner of this café. Kai told me you’ll be waiting for him here. As a first timer, I’d like you to have a free coffee.”

Wow…free!

“But, it’s late. I can’t drink coffee.” Said Reena.

“It’s decaffeinated.” Said Yunho.

“Oh.”

Yunho placed the coffee on the table.

“Enjoy your drink. Kai said he’ll be here shortly.” Said Yunho.

“Umm… thanks.” Said Reena.

Why is it that almost everyone around Jongin is nice. How come he’s so different from them?

Reena drank her coffee remembering how nice that guy they call Siwon last night was and how this Yunho guy seems to be kind too.

“If only he could be at least twenty five percent as nice as them.” Said Reena.

“Twenty five percent?”

Reena looked up and saw Kai in front of her. She did not even notice enter the café!

“Ummmm…” Reena froze.

 “Wait for me for a few minutes. I’m just going to change clothes.” Said Kai

Reena just nodded. And then she made a sigh of relief.

She has to stop blurting out her thoughts.

Kai was gone for around ten minutes. And then when he reappeared, he already looked like Jongin.

Wow! How did he… do that?

“She was waiting patiently. So I gave her the coffee you requested.” Said Yunho.

“Thanks Hyung.” Said Jongin.

“This is the first time you brought someone here. More so, it’s the first time you allowed anyone to see you as both Kai and Jongin.” Said Yunho. “What’s going on? Who is she?”

Jongin sighed.

“I… feel bad  for her about something that happened earlier today.” Said Jongin. “She did a favor for me last night and I wasn’t able to return the favor when she needed it. So I decided to answer her question.”

“Question?” asked Yunho.

“I was just wondering how you could transform from being a nerdy Jongin into a … a really cool maître de.”

Although it wasn’t a question technically, it was what Reena was curiously wanting to know.

Reena’s eyes were so wide in shock.

Jongin walked towards her.

“But… how?” asked Reena. “How did you do that?”

Jongin placed some shampoo and hair products in front of Reena.

“Does this answer your question?”

Reena bit her lip.

“Are you saying you’re a talented hairdresser? Because you sure know how to do a make-over.” Said Reena.

Jongin rolled his eyes. This girl… is crazy.

Jill Park will surely find a friend in Reena Choi.

“Let’s go back. It’s almost curfew.” Said Jongin.

Reena tailed Jongin as he went out of the café.

“Sometimes, I feel that my hair is so dry. It feels like metal wires.  Is it my shampoo? Should I skip shampooing my hair every day?” asked Reena. “I seldom use conditioner. It costs money.”

Why is she telling him about her hair regimen?

Jongin had enough.

“Stop it.” Said Jongin. “I am not a hairdresser.”

“Oh.” Said Reena. “Yeah… sorry.”

There was a long moment of silence.

She doesn’t use conditioner? How come? A girl’s hair is very important to a woman base on what he heard.

“Why… do you not use conditioner? It’s not as costly as you think. I heard there are cheap ones.” Said Jongin.

“Oh… umm…” Reena could not answer. “Um… I think shampoo is enough.”

Jongin stopped walking.

“Why do you not use conditioner?” he repeated.

Reena stopped walking.

“Just…no reason.” Said Reena.

Reena walked on.

Jongin felt that sudden tightening in his guts. There’s a reason why and she’s not saying it.

Why is he bothered by hair conditioners anyway?  

“Ahh… is it because it’s tiresome to put?” asked Jongin. “It’s pretty much just like shampooing without the bubbles.”

Reena stopped walking and took a deep breath. She put a smile on her face and then she faced Jongin.

“It’s useless to buy things to make myself look pretty.” Said Reena. “Because when I get to school, I’d still end up looking horrible before the day ends.”

Jongin saw Reena’s hands clenched on her sides.

“So I save my money on things that are more important.” Said Reena.

Reena turned her back and continued walking.

Jongin felt that burning feeling in his chest again.

“Do they do that a lot?” asked Jongin.

Reena stopped.

“What do you mean?” asked Reena.

“Those people in the library earlier. Do they do that to you a lot?” asked Jongin.

Even Jongin knows about how people bully her.

“In the beginning, I used to think it was a lot.” Said Reena. “But now, it doesn’t hurt as much as it did anymore.”

Reena bit her lip as tears threatened to fall.

“But you don’t care about those stuff right? It has nothing to do with you. Jongin lives in his own world. And Reena Choi lives in her won world.”

Reena stretched her lips into a smile that did not reach her eyes.

“Let’s hurry and go back.” Said Reena.

Jongin clenched his hand.

This is troublesome.

She’s right. Why would he even care? It’s not his problem. It has nothing to do with him.

And yet there’s that nagging feeling inside him, and his chest continues to burn.