Accountability Policy

Rooftop Rumble

 

 

Chapter 4

Accountability Policy

 

It was like the usual day for Kai, the restaurant was fully booked. The VIPs were happy and satisfied. And although he only has 3 hours of ‘maître de’ experience daily, he makes sure the guests will have a lasting impression of him and Imperial Luxury Hotel Restaurant.

Kai went back to the ‘Voyage Café’. He went straight to the room he occupies and then he changed back into his student uniform. Now this is the tricky part, he washed his hair and made it look lifeless. That’s his ‘Jongin’ look, it’s the look that separates his student life from his life as a ‘maître de’. 

He went out of the room and saw Yunho.

“Hyung, aren’t you going home yet?” asked Jongin.

“I’ll stay a bit more. You on the other hand have to go get some sleep. You go to school really early.” Said Yunho.

“Yeah.” Said Jongin. “See you around then.”

Jongin went to the train station, took the train and then walked his way back to the roof top house. Jongin sat down on the cushion as he freed himself from his coat. This is a very small house. There are only two rooms and the space the entire house occupies is very small.

“I guess I need some getting used to.” Said Jongin.

Two rooms.

The secretary said the dorm is fully booked. So who are their other two house mates? Why aren’t they here yet? Even the bulletin board doesn’t have their names yet.

Jongin opened the door of his room. He opened the light and noticed that nobody was inside.

So the girl hasn’t gotten home?

Jongin looked at the clock.

10:32PM.

A girl out this late might just mean she has a group to hang out with. But that girl?

“People have weird habits, I guess.” Thought Jongin.

Jongin changed into comfortable clothes and prepared to sleep when he received a message on his phone.

He opened the message.

‘This is the Everlasting Student Residence Management. Please see the Memo on Roommate Curferw Accountability posted on your Bulletin Board. As per check, two hours before the curfew, Rooftop Room -A Students are still not complete. Kindly comply accordingly.’

  What?

Jongin went out of the room and checked the bulletin board. Indeed there is a new memo posted.

Roommate Curfew Accountability Policy- The Roomate will be responsible in making sure his roommate comes back to the dorm before the curfew (12MN) every day. Strict monitoring will be done to make sure each student per room has returned to the dorm every night. If someone did not come back, it will automatically be reported to authorities.  The roommate will be subjected to interrogation since he is responsible in making sure the roommate makes it before curfew.

This.

Is absurd.

This is invasion of privacy! Is the management thinking that a person has to know what his roommate is doing every night? Can’t they just live totally separate lives not meddling on any other lives but their own?

Jongin sighed.

Nope, he won’t be affected by this.

Jongin returned to his room and lay on his bed. He closed his eyes when he received a new message.

‘An hour and a half before curfew, Student Reena Choi is still out. Student Kim Jongin is requested to report Reena Choi’s whereabouts.’

This is just outrageous.

Jongin closed his eyes. And just when he was in the middle of a really good dream, his phone rang again. This time, the message made him sit up.

“Half an hour before curfew. Half an hour before a report is filed to the authorities. Student Reena Choi will be declared missing. Student Jongin Kim will be held for questioning.”

What is the matter with this dorm? This is intimidation. Their students have their own activities. Why would he be held responsible for another person when he doesn’t even really know her?

Is there a mad person tricking him?

“Why would I even try to contact that girl and ask her whether she’s coming back before curfew? It’s none of my business.” Said Jongin, irritably.

But the clock is ticking and each tick made Jongin more and more irritated.

It was 11:40PM, just a few minutes before curfew when he finally stood up from his bed, took his jacket and wallet and then went out.

A girl out at this hour is a bit odd especially for a student. For a party girl, that might be possible. But for the likes of Reena Choi… She doesn’t seem to be a party girl. And nobody in school will party with her, everyone is afraid to get near her or else they might get bullied too.

So why is she still out this late?

“Whatever weird habit she has, she has to stop it.” Said Jongin. “I hate to meddle but, she can’t compromise my peaceful life just because of whatever she’s up to.”

Jongin reached the bus station and stopped there.

He was standing there for a few minutes, several buses had already stopped and go when another bus stopped and a familiar girl walked out of it. Her hair that is still tied into a bun behind her is already lose, some of her hair are falling over her face. She was yawning and has her eyes closed while walking, completely missing him.

That irritated Jongin more. He waited there because she’s almost going to put him into trouble and she goes ignoring him?

What the…

Jongin followed the girl and she’s starting to take the wrong directions.

“Are you seriously going to waste time getting lost by sleep walking when you’re about to be reported missing by the dorm management?”

Reena’s eyes fluttered open.

“Huh?”

“And when you get reported, do you know that they would hold me for questioning when I was just minding my own business and living my own private life?”

Reena turned back and saw Jongin.

“You.” Said Reena. “Are you talking to me?”

“Do I look like I am talking with someone else?” asked Jongin.

Reena looked around and they were the only two people in the street.

“I thought we shouldn’t interfere with each other.” Said Reena.

“That’s my ultimate wish.” Said Jongin.

Jongin sighed and took his phone out. He showed Reena the messages from the dorm. It took the girl a few seconds to absorb what she just read.

“What… is this about?” asked Reena, confused.

And still she did not get it.

“Let’s get back to the dorm. We only have less than ten minutes before curfew.” Said Jongin.

Curfew?

Reena was confused but she just followed Jongin walking back to the dorm.

Inside the rooftop house, Reena was stunned. She went to read the new Roomate Accountability Policy and she is just in utter disbelief. What a foolish policy! Are they nuts?

“I know.” said Jongin. “I also could not believe they would make this kind of policy.”

Reena closed her eyes for a few seconds.

So that’s why this guy sounded really angry earlier.

“I’m sorry…” said Reena. “I didn’t know that you were almost interrogated by authorities.”

Jongin looked away. His anger is still boiling. But the truth is, the girl just learned the policy now. His anger should be towards the management.

Reena looked down waiting for Jongin to speak up. But when he didn’t, she continued.

“I… have a part time job.” Said Reena.

Jongin then turned to look at her.

“I work for a small noodle house around fifteen minute bus ride from here.” Said Reena. “I work until 10 in the evening.”

Ten? Why will it take her until midnight to reach home?

“Earlier, two of the other staffs were absent. One got married today and another who got sick.” Said Reena. “We were so short in men that I had to work overtime.”

“Dishes.” Said Jongin.

It’s usually the leftover job after the last customer leaves the restaurant.

“Yeah, I had to wash all the dishes. I’m a bit slow. I’m careful not to break anything. I can’t lose a single penny for any broken plate.” Said Reena. “That’s why it took me this long to get home.”

Jongin’s eyes thinned.

“I didn’t want to hear what happened to your day or what happened to your work.” Said Jongin. “I am not interested in knowing anything about your life. I only need you to make sure you come back to the dorm before 12 every night. Or tell me your whereabouts if you can’t. In that case, you will avoid imposing on my life.”

Wow… imposing on his life? Is the policy even her idea?

Reena sighed.

“I will try to get back before midnight every night.” Said Reena. “If I can’t, I’ll let you know.”

Jongin reached for Reena’s hand. The slight touch made Reena’s eyes widened. It was so sudden and warm that it made her pull her hand away.

“I need to get your phone number.” Said Jongin.

Oh right…she was holding her phone. He was trying to get her phone.

“Right.” Said Reena.

Reena gave her phone to Jongin. Jongin called his number through Reena’s phone.

“Save my number.” Said Jongin.

Reena nodded.

And then Jongin walked towards the room. But Reena stopped him.

“And you? You also went out earlier.” Said Reena. “Do you always go out after school? I need to know right? Since I am now responsible for you.”

Jongin did not even turn to face Reena.

“I have my own business. But I will be here before midnight every night. Otherwise, I’ll let you know.” Said Jongin.

And then he went inside the room.

Reena sighed.

What an impossible person to deal with!

Reena sat on a cushion and tried to rest.

This dorm is weird. The management is crazy.

Reena closed her eyes.

I have my own business.

So does that mean he goes out frequently? Does he go out every night too?

And then Reena suddenly opened her eyes, her brows closing in.

Why… does that thought even cross her mind?

Why does that nerd’s voice sound familiar?

The nerd always speak so soft you can barely hear him. But earlier, when he was so angry, his voice was loud and clear and even here inside the house when they got back, he was speaking clearly. Now that he did, why does his voice sounded so familiar?

It reminded her of that voice she heard that day in school, of that guy talking on the phone while she was hiding in that trash can… and of that guy called Kai, the maître de.

Is that voice too common that even the nerd Jongin would speak the same timbre of voice?

“Maybe it’s not just the dorm that’s crazy.” Said Reena. “Maybe I’m getting crazy too.”

-----------------

Lu Han reached the school early, like 6AM early. He went to the basketball court and started his practice.

“Wow… this is the first time I saw someone at this time.”

Lu Han heard a woman’s voice behind him. He turned back and when he saw a girl behind him, he almost freaked out.

The girl giggled.

“Are you also not expecting anyone here?” asked the girl.

She’s familiar.

“It’s 6 in the morning.” Said Lu Han. “The school starts at 7:30. So I wasn’t expecting anyone.”

The girl smiled.

“As soon as I wake up, I go to school.” Said the girl. “I want to get here as early as I could?”

“Why?” asked Lu Han.

“Hmm… why?” asked the girl. “Why not? I mean… what will I do at home?”

“Get some more sleep.” Said Lu Han. He would have done that if not for his promise to himself that he would start his training again.

“Sleep.” Said the girl. “Sleep is for people who live in dreams like dream s are reality. I don’t want to live in illusions. I want to stay awake longer.”

Lu Han raised a brow.

“Oh my! The sun is coming up!” The girl ran towards the door. “I’m going to greet Mr. Sun! See you!”

And then she went running out of the gym.

“Ahh… now I know why she’s familiar.” Said Lu Han. “She’s that girl they call Jill Park who Tao said is crazy.”

She’s… indeed a bit weird. But is she really crazy?

Lu Han heard his phone ringing and went to get it. A smirk formed on his lips. It’s the dorm confirmation he’s been waiting since last week.

“I can finally move in tomorrow, huh? That’s great. Perfect timing. I can train earlier if I live nearer.” Said Lu Han.

Lu Han went to check for other messages. There was none. The smirk is now gone from his lips.

“You are gorgeous Mr. Sun! How wonderful!” shouted the girl from outside the court. She laughed so heartily like she just saw a long lost friend.

Lu Han sighed.

“How simple it would be to live like Jill Park.” Said Lu Han. “Live like you don’t care what others think and still get to laugh like crazy.”

And yet he can’t live like Jill Park. For someone like him, everything is already planned out for him since childhood. And though he makes sure each person in his life is never disappointed in him, there are things he’s going to start trying to achieve for himself.

“This time… it’s going to be for myself.” Said Lu Han.

-----------------------

Reena closed her textbook and then fixed her things. The homework is bucketful. And she only has a few days to submit them. This is going to be taxing considering that Miyoung is not going to be back in the noodle house for another week due to his honeymoon.

“How will I ever get to finish everything on time?” thought Reena.

The homework is on Algebra. How on earth is she going to solve a hundred algebraic problems within three days when she doesn’t even have an hour a day for home works?

Reena went out of her classroom and hurried to go to the field of the school. This time no more hiding. If they want to bully her, then go ahead. The faster it’s done with, the better. She needs to do those home works!

Reena stood at the middle of the field just waiting. She looked at her watch. What are they waiting for? Time is ticking!

“What are you doing here at the center?”

Reena heard a voice of a girl behind her. She turned back and saw the person she didn’t really want to be associated with.

Jill Park.

“Umm… I’m waiting.” Said Reena.

“Waiting? For someone? Why would your meeting place be the middle of the field? It’s too hot here. Your skin will burn and you’d look darker. Besides, there’s no place to sit here.” Said Jill Park.

Why is this girl talking to her? For everyone, Jill Park is a crazy girl. What if people thinks they’re friends? Are they going to think she’s crazy too? Reena sighed.

 This is not good.

But really… who is she kidding? Everyone has the same image of her too. Everyone tries to avoid Reena too. Not because she’s crazy, but because she’s the school’s bully victim.

Jill Park might have really gotten lose screws to even talk to her out in the open.

“I’m waiting for the people who want to hurt me.” Said Reena.

Jill Park stared at her for a while.

“Why are you waiting for them? Why will you allow them to hurt you when right now, you c an just walk out of the field and not be hurt?” asked Jill Park.

“Because it’s my curse.” Said Reena. “If I go without them hurting me, they’ll only hurt me more next time.”

Jill Park nodded as if she understood what Reena said.

“But if it’s a curse. There’s a way to break it right? Every poison has an antidote. Every spell can be broken.” Said Jill Park.

It was Reena’s turn to stare at Jill Park.

“So if you’re saying that you are cursed to be hurt, then there’s a way you can break free of that curse. Maybe you just need to find that. And then you’d be free of the curse.” Said Jill Park. “But first, you have to start finding it. Letting them hurt you won’t stop anything.”

Is this person really… crazy? But can a crazy person really speak like this?

“You know what?” said Reena. “I think I’d just go to the library and start doing my homework.”

Reena started walking.

“Which homework?” asked Jill Park.

“Algebra.” Said Reena, thinking that will put Jill Park off.

“Oh that.” Said Jill Park. “I can help you. I love algebra.”

Wrong move for Reena there.

Reena closed her eyes. She can’t be with this person longer. Yes Jill Park speaks words that can make you think deeply but… nope. Reena still prefers not to have interactions with her.

“Oh, thanks but…nope. I can do it myself.”

Reena walked ahead.

----------------------

Across the field, Lu Han’s team were preparing to have their training. Jongin is trying to look as disinterested as he could, which he does very naturally without too much effort. But then he noticed Lu Han stopping and looking ahead at the field. It didn’t bother him at first until he saw Lu Han’s eyes thinned and focused. Kim Jongin followed Lu Han’s sight and found what made him stop. It was the crazy girl Jill Park and the school bullied girl Reena Choi. They seemed to be talking at the middle of the field.

“Is it true that if I get involved with the likes of the two of them, I will be in trouble?” asked Lu Han.

Nobody answered him.

“Then should I stay away from them and pretend like I don’t see them?” asked Lu Han.

Still nobody answered him.

“But pretending that I don’t see them, doesn’t that make me blind?”

Kim Jongin bit his lip as he looked away. This Lu Han guy is going to stir the school up. Is he going to create trouble? Is he going to make the school chaotic?

“But then…” said Lu Han. “Priorities will still go first. And my priorities lie with this school’s order. So I can’t just shake anything right?”

Lu Han faced them. And then he smiled.

“But that doesn’t mean I can’t make things more exciting right? Let’s start our training, Guys! Let’s beat the Prime Section!” said Lu Han.

Everyone followed Lu Han to the gym.

Jongin tailed them.

Priorities?

What does Lu Han mean by Priorities?