Reena's World

Rooftop Rumble

 

 

Chapter 1

Reena’s World

 

She hid inside the trashcan. She could smell the rotten air around her. But throw up she will not. She has to remain silent or else they’ll find her. And who knows what they’ll do to her this time. It was hard growing up bullied by people. You tend to know the best hiding spots and yet they still find you sooner or later. The torture is actually not on what they actually do to you but on the few moments before the actual bullying.

Reena sighed.

When will this ever end?

“Yeah, I know.”

Reena heard a man’s voice coming towards her direction. She shut her eyes tight. Is this one of her attackers?

“Hmm… You know what, it’s your choice. It has always been your choice. If you let them step on you, they will crush you. And they will continue to do that unless you do something to stop them.” Said the man. “The choice never left your hand, you just tried to take the easy way out. You wanted to stop fighting and just let them hurt you.”

What is this guy saying? Choice? For someone like her who was bullied even when she just stood somewhere doing nothing, was there ever a choice? This guy obviously was never bullied or was ever hurt by people around him. How can he say things so coldly?

“So whatever it is they’re doing to you… you somehow deserved it.” Said the man

Ouch! Reena felt like chili was sprinkled on her wound.

What the heck is this man saying? She has never tried to hurt anybody, never! She had always tried to get along people and be nice. But people just don’t seem to like her. Does that mean she deserved being hated? No way! How can she deserve all this?

Reena heard the footsteps moving away. She partially opened the trashcan and saw the back of the man walking away. From the view of his back, he seems to be a guy who’s full of confidence. He walks elegantly and had that confidence in him.

“Talk about a coldness and insensitivity. Who’s this guy anyway?” thought Reena.

Is he also on his junior year in highschool? Which class is he in? Why isn’t he familiar?

“Whoever he is, he’s definitely no different from everyone else.” Said Reena.

That voice… She will never forget that voice.

Reena sighed. She went out of her hiding. The smell of the trashcan already lingers on her skin.

“Someone who can walk like that and talk like that… is definitely like everyone else.”

Every one ignores her, what the bullies do to her. Ever since she was a child she would scream and shout for help but no one ever helped her. Everyone either thought she deserved it or just didn’t want to get involved.

Reeena took a deep breath and mustered what little courage she has. She took several steps in the open and braced herself.

--------------------

Nope.

They’re not tears.

They’re just sweat flowing from her eyes down to her cheeks.

Reena wiped her face as she walked. She needs to get out of the school as soon as possible. With her torn uniform, she needs to sew it up for tomorrow.

Reena turned to her right and saw a girl running around the field, shouting. She had her arms wide open while shouting for everyone to hear.

“Weeeeh! It feels so great! Woah! Let’s run!”

She looked so happy. It would have been a nice sight if it weren’t so…weird. What is this girl up to?

Reena sighed.

It’s that girl, Jill Park, she’s doing her crazy antics again. Why does she keep doing the mad things she does? People had started to avoid her already and they even start to spread the word that she’s mentally unstable. Last time, she cried hysterically in the middle of the high school ceremony. Even the teachers were not able to make her stop. It was chaotic.  

Tsk tsk.

“I guess I am not the only outcast here.” thought Reena. “But being in the same category with Jill Park doesn’t make me feel good either.”

Reena bit her lip if only her world will turn upside down. What would she give to finally be out of the outcast group and just…belong?

And then Reena felt something hit her head.

“Sorry…”

Reena massaged her hurt head and saw a foot ball near her.

“Are they using a foot ball to hurt me this time?” she thought.

“Hey are you ok?”

Reena’s eyes widened. Someone from the field ran towards her.

It’s Lu Han.

The president of the student council, that Artistic guy who never gets off the top 5 list of academic achievers since he transfered! Well he’s just none other than the most popular guy in school! Everyone loves him and adores him. Why is he…talking to her?

Reena pointed a finger at herself.

“Yes you. I kicked the ball too far. I hit you unintentionally.” Said Lu Han.

Even his voice is melodic.

“I’m sorry. Are you hurt?” asked Lu Han.

Hmm… well it did hurt… but the pain is subsiding by the minute.

“I’ll take you to the clinic so that the nurse could check. Or better yet… maybe I need to have you check in the hospital.”

He’s nice. He’s popular and he’s also nice. What is this perfect man doing in their high school? Isn’t this the high school for twisted people?

“That was nothing.” Said Reena. “I’ll be fine.”

Reena lowered her head and walked away, fast.

Lu Han belongs to the group who shines whatever they do. People like Reena and even the weirdo Jill Park won’t feel comfortable talking with such shinning light.

“Why is she walking like she’s avoiding me?” asked Lu Han.

“Don’t bother getting worried over her, Lu Han.” Shouted his football team mate Tao. “She’s the type of girl who you don’t want to be linked with.”

“To be linked with?” asked Lu Han.

“She’s also a junior. Her name is Reena Choi. I can’t remember which class she’s in but… it’s better to not be around her.” Said Tao.

“Now that gets me curious.” Said Lu Han.

“A lot of people bully her. For someone like you, you shouldn’t go around people like her.” Said Tao.

“Oh…” said Lu Han.

“Hey, I know you’re the student council president, but don’t go asking people to stop bullying her.” Said Tao. “You’ll be up against a lot of people you don’t want to fight against.”

Lu Han’s eyes thinned.

“What do you mean?” asked Luhan

A group of girls started to scream at the other side of the field.

“We love you Lu Han!”

“Well. It seems your fans are here to watch you play.” Said Tao. “Are you ready for some fan service?”

Lu Han looked at his watch.

“I have a few minutes to spare before the council meeting starts.”

Lu Han smiled, Tao chuckled.

“That’s why girls love you.” Said Tao. “And guys like me gets irritated.”

“Jealous is more accurate.” Said Lu Han.

“So beautiful!” shouted a girl running around the field.

“Does she do that every day?” asked Lu Han.

“Who? You mean Jill Park?” asked Tao. “Well… she’s crazy so she does a lot of weird stuff anytime, anywhere. If I were you, I’ll stay out of her sight. She’s getting really loose on the head, who knows what she can do.”

Lu Han bit his lip.

“Neon High is becoming disturbing.” Said Lu Han.

Tao grinned.

“Are you now regretting your decision to transfer here three months ago?” asked Tao.

Lu Han smirked.

“Regretting? No way.” Said Lu Han. “I was voted as student council president on my second month here and now I even made it to the football team. People here in Neon high trusts me, how can I regret being here?”

“And how about Reena Choi and Jill Park?” asked Tao.

“A high school won’t be complete without them.” Said Lu Han. “It’s part of someone’s growing up pains.”

Tao nodded.

“Why do you always say those cool words, Man?” asked Tao. “Teach me that too. I also need girls.”

Luhan just shook his head as he started running to the field.

----------------

Reena reached the wash area. She looked at the mirror. She looked… horrible, as usual. There were leaves stuck on her hair, she has dust on the side of her cheek, possibly the ball mark earlier.

And she smelt awful.

“I don’t think I can go to my part time job like this.” Said Reena.

Reena looked at her watch and it’s almost six in the evening.

“I’m already late…” Reena closed her eyes.

“I hope Boss won’t fire me for not making it.”

Reena walked away from the wash area towards the gate of the school. She continued massaging her head and is already dizzy from exhaustion.

“I need to sleep.” Said Reena. “Soon…”

Reena closed her eyes for a second and then she felt herself bumping onto something. She fell on the ground. The impact was hard. It took Reena a moment before she could open her eyes. And when she did, she saw a man reaching out his hand to her.

“Are you… ok?”

The man is familiar. He’s also a junior. He’s wearing thick glasses, his hair is unusually long covering almost half his face. She has seen him a couple of times in the past. But his name never reached Reena.

He’s nerdy introvert guy who never seem to talk with anyone.

“Do I look ok?” asked Reena.

She’s lying on the floor. Her body ached all over. Why is he even asking?

The guy withdrew his hand and pulled her up instead. His strength surprised her.

“Can you walk?” His voice was soft and could barely be heard.

Reena tried to walk. Although she’s in pain, she could still function well.

“Nothing seems to be broken.” Said Reena.

“Umm… will you be ok then?” asked the guy.

His voice is again so soft Reena was already doubting whether she’s hearing things or is this guy really talking?

Reena nodded.

“I think I’ll be fine.”

The guy then walked on.

“Try not to sleep walk next time.” Said the guy. And then he left Reena.

“What? Sleep walking? Is he saying it was my fault I fell to the ground?” thought Reena.

Grrrrrrr! That nerd!

Reena noticed the guys’ back as he walked on to the gate. His back was slouched, it shows how low he sees himself, he has no confidence and possibly thinks he’s alone in his world.

Yeah right… another addition to the outcast family.

Reena sighed.

Why is the family just getting bigger?

Reena continued to walk and stepped on something. A Name tag? She picked it up.

Kim Jongin

Hmm… someone carelessly lost his name tag.

But wait… could this be that nerd’s name tag? Reena hit her head lightly.

Right, they bumped into each other earlier.

Reena ran as fast as she could.

“Hey! Hey! You left your name tag!”

But the guy continued walking, and he’s walking really fast.

“Hey, stop! Name tag!”

Reena stopped running and closed her eyes. If this is his, there’s only one way to find out.

“Kim Jongin!” Reena called.

“Kim Jonging!” repeated Reena, this time, she shouted the name loud.

The nerd guy stopped. He slowly turned back and saw her.

“You… you’re Kim Jongin?” asked Reena.

The nerd guy did not answer. Reena raised the nametag.

“Is this yours?”

The nerd guy touched his chest and realized that he lost his name tag.

The guy took his name tag from Reena’s hand. And then he whispered something that made Reena’s blood boil in anger.

“Next time, just give it to the guard. I hate it when someone calls my name.”

And then the guy walked away.

-----------------------

Reena reached her Aunt’s house. She had been living here since her parents died. And although her Aunt’s family provide for her food, shelter and school… she has never felt like they’re her family.

“Good thing you’re leaving tomorrow.” Said Reena’s Aunt. “You can finally be free of us, huh?”

Reena bit her lip. It’s the other way around. They want to be free of her that’s why they’re pushing her towards a dorm. What else can be concluded of the situation? Her cousin who is also a junior in Neon High is not even going to a dorm.

“I… can come back and visit you if you like.” Said Reena.

Reena’s Aunt snorted and then she walked away.

The truth is… it’s a relief. All Reena really needs right now is a sanctuary… a place she can be alone, free from all the people who could make her life miserable.

“Tomorrow, I’d find my sanctuary in that dorm.” Said Reena. “Tomorrow, I’ll find some peace when I go home each night.”

----------------

Reena got inside the dorm office.

“We only got the rooftop house available.” Said the secretary.

“Roof top house?” asked a familiar man.

Reena went towards the counter.

“Yes, it has two rooms. One of them is assigned to you.” Said the secretary. “But you will have a room mate.”

“I was told it’s a solo room.” Said the guy.

Oh! He’s that irritating nerd from school! What is he doing here?

“Unfortunately, we’re too full this season so we can only offer room sharing.” Said the secretary.

The secretary then turned to Reena.

“Name please?” asked the secretary.

“Oh, I’m Reena Choi.” Answered Reena.

“You are also assigned to the roof top house.” Said the secretary.

The secretary handed Reena two keys.

“One for the room and the other for the house. The roof top house is separate from all the rest of the building dorm.” Said the secretary.

Roof top house?

“So now, you two should get along since you’re housemates.” Said the secretary.

Reena’s eyes widened. She looked at the nerd. He did not even spare her a glace and just closed his eyes.

Frustration. It’s obvious he’s not happy with the situation.

And neither is she!

A pathetic bullied girl with an introvert irritating nerd. Are they putting everyone in their outcast category up that roof top house?

So what’s next, is Jill Park also going to be their housemate?

Reena shook her head.

No way. That’s definitely not good.

The sound of footsteps brought Reena’s thoughts back. The nerd is walking towards the elevator. Did he now accept that he has no choice but to be housemates with her?

“Get along.” Said the secretary.

Reena took a deep breath and then followed the nerd. There was no words spoken between them until they reached the rooftop.

There was a small house. It was very tiny but it had everything. It had a small kitchen, a small dinning area, which may also serve as the living room area. There was no sofa, only small cushions to sit on. There was a medium sized television, nope it isn’t flat screen. And a washing machine near the toilet. The toilet also serves as the bathroom. At the back of the house is an area to hang clothes. Everything is almost just a step or two away. Very accessible. But that also means she has no choice but to always see the nerd and interact with him.

“Get Along” said the secretary.

The nerd doesn’t speak much so perhaps it won’t be too hard to get along with him. Except if he says those annoying things again.

Now, onto the rooms. Reena saw two doors. She saw the nerd enter the first room by the kitchen.

“Oh, so mine is the other one?” Reena went to the room near the toilet. She inserts the key and turned it but the door won’t open.

“Hmm… weird. Is there a problem with my key?” Reena did it several more times but still the key won’t work.

“I guess the secretary gave me the wrong key.” Said Reena.

Reena sighed. Now she needs to go back just to get her right keys. Reena walked towards the door when she saw a small board attached to the wall by the door. There were several papers attached to the board. There was a welcome note from the dorm management, some emergency numbers and then the room assignment.

Reena’s eyes widened in shock.

“There must be some mistake…” said Reena “No way…”

How can it be?

Reena went towards the door the nerd entered. She turned the knob but it was locked. She reached for her key and inserts it. She closed her eyes as she turned the key. And then she heard the click of the door opening.

No way…

Reena slowly opened the door. The key is indeed for the nerd guy’s room!

And then Reena’s hand stopped. She held her breath. In front of her, inside the room is the nerd guy, his back to her, his upper body bare, !

Reena shrieked and closed the door with a bang.

What is going on here? Why does she have the key to the same room as the nerd guy? And why? Why does she need to see that guy’s ?

The door of the room opened. Reena closed her eyes. She doesn’t have the courage to face the nerd guy.

“Is knocking hard to do?” asked the guy.

His voice a bit louder now than it usually does.

He’s irritated.

Reena sighed.

“I’m sorry I… just tried my keys. Apparently… they gave me the key to the same room as yours.” Said Reena, embarrassment is in her voice.

“Tsk. There must be some –“

“Mistake?” Answered Reena. “Initially, that’s what I thought too but… look at the board there.”

The nerd guy went to the bulletin board. Reena noticed from her side view that the guy is already wearing his shirt. That’s a relief.

“This… is weird.” Said the nerd.

“I agree.” Said Reena. “Totally. I mean how can they put a girl and a boy inside a room as roomates right? That’s just weird!”

The nerd sat on the cushion and opened the television.

“Wait…. Aren’t you going down to ask the secretary to correct their mistake?” asked Reena.

The nerd shook his head.

“What?” Reena went in front of the nerd, blocking the television from his view.

“Aren’t you bothered by this?” asked Reena.

The nerd sighed.

“This is wrong! This is absurd. We have to get this corrected soon.” Said Reena. “We can’t just wait here and watch television when the room assignment is so confusing.”

The nerd did not answer.

“Aren’t you worried about this?” asked Reena in frustration.

“No.” answered the nerd. He stood up and went towards the door of his room.

“I don’t want a roommate, but I have no choice on the matter since the dorm already registered me here. So it doesn’t really matter whoever or whatever my roommate is, a dog or a cat. As long as you don’t interfere with my life, I won’t interfere with yours.” Said the nerd

That was the longest statement she has heard from him.

And it did not solve her problem! This arrogant nerd just said she’s not even a girl!