Lu Han's Buddy

Rooftop Rumble

 

 

Chapter 7

Buddy

 

Lu Han reached the airport. His Dad’s secretary, James, gave him his Dad’s flight details. The flight leaves in an hour. He has to talk to his Dad before he leaves.

Lu Han was able to find his Dad before he has gone in. His Dad nodded to acknowledge that he saw him.

“Are you here to bid me goodbye? This is the first time in years that you went to the airport to send me off to my business trip.” Said his Dad.

Lu Han clenched his hands. The memory of the last time he went to the airport to see his Dad off flashed before his mind.

“I did not come here to see you off.” Said Lu Han. “I came here to ask you to stop meddling in my life.”

It may sound harsh but he had to say it.

“Hmm… you transferred from that prestigious school in the US and went back to Korea. You did that without even talking to me or telling me about it.” Said his Dad. “Were you expecting me to just do nothing about it?”

“I am planning out my own life now, Dad. I am trying to set goals now and I am trying to reach them on my own. So stop meddling.” Said Lu Han. “That scholarship… I need it. So stop blocking it.”

“Why do you want to get that scholarship in that University?” asked his Dad. “If you tell me clearly the reason why, then I might consider.”

“I want to enter that University. I will do whatever it takes to get there.” Said Lu Han. “I am not asking help from you. I can get that scholarship on my own. I will work for it and get it. But stop blocking it. Stop talking with the university administration. Stop influencing them. I want to get to that University.”

“You still did not give me the reason.” Said his Dad. “Well then, I hope you enjoy your time in that dorm I heard you’re renting.”

His Dad walked on.

“Dad!” called out Lu Han.

His Dad stopped walking.

“What is so wrong in trying to find her?” asked Lu Han.

His Dad did not turn back to him. He just stood there, his back to Lu Han.

“I just… want to see her again.” Said Lu Han.

“There is nothing about her that you need in your life.” Said Lu Han’s Dad. “So stop reaching for her.”

His Dad walked on and did not stop until he entered the gate.

Lu Han felt his eyes stinging in hot tears. He closed them tight.

“I hate it when he walks out on me when we talk about this.” Said Lu Han.

But this is a battle he has to fight with or without his Dad’s support.

---------------------

Jill Park sat under the tree. The breeze was so nice, the sun was so sunny. It was the perfect day to… just lie on the grass and look at the wonderful sky!

Jill lay on the grass.

Wow… Just breathtaking. The sky is so nice, the sky blue color and the cloud formation is best with this weather. She can look at it forever and she will still be amazed.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” Said a woman’s voice.

“You mean that’s the plan for today?” the girl laughed. “I’m sure Reena Choi would not be happy to hear this. The Duchess has various plans under her sleeves. I wonder when she’ll run out of them.”

These girls really know how to ruin a pleasant morning.

Jill Park sighed and then she sat up.

“Stop disturbing the beauty of the sky!” shouted Jill Park. “Go Away!”

The two girls looked at each other and started moving away, looking scared of her.

“Finally, I can enjoy the sky again.” Said Jill Park.

------------------------

“She’s definitely a weirdo.” Said Seohyun. “That Jill Park is really going crazy.”

“I told you, right? She’s absolutely sick.” Said Mina.

“But will she interfere with our plans?” asked Chorong.

“I don’t think so. She’s crazy but not too crazy to try and stop us.” Said Seohyun.

“That’s right.” Said Bomi. “And Jill Park is the least of our worries.”

“Right, I think that Lu Han guy is the one we should worry about.” Said Mina.

“I told you right? Hot guys are trouble.” Said Chorong.

Seohyun bit her lip.

“What do we do now Duchess?” asked Mina. “The Knight seems to be trying to stop us.”

“He can try but we won’t allow him to.” Said Seohyun. “We will certainly not stop just because of a transfee.”

“Really now?”

Everyone’s attention went to the girl who just entered the room.

“Princess.” greeted everyone.

“That Lu Han guy seems to be tough.” Said Krystal. “I don’t think he’s the type who would just give in without a fight.”

“That’s true.” Said Mina. “He seems to be the type who would try to defend people.”

“But we can’t do to him what we do to Reena Choi won’t we?” asked Chorong. “He’s different from Reena Choi. Nobody cares who Reena Choi is and what we do to her. But people here in Neon certainly cares about the Council President Lu Han.”

Seohyun nodded.

“I’ll think of something. But for now, we can call it a day.” Said Seohyun.

Everyone went to leave the room except Seohyun and Krystal.

“Are you… really thinking of a plan to get rid of Lu Han?” asked Krystal.

“Get rid of him? No. Definitely not. But he’s starting to meddle on our affairs. I need to make him stop meddling and make him mind his own business.” Said Seohyun.

Krystal smiled.

“I know you wouldn’t hurt him.” Said Krystal.

Seohyun’s brows narrowed.

“What do you mean?” asked Seohyun.

“When you learned he was transferring to our school, didn’t you almost choked in shock?” asked Krystal.

Seohyun looked away guiltily.

“You did not speak then for two days. We were worried of you. And then you blush at just the mention of his name.” said Krystal.

Seohyun closed her eyes. She’s caught.

“You’re good at hiding it. When he’s in the classroom, you looked composed. But are you really composed inside too? You were even able to argue with him regarding the sports day. You are a real acting Duchess.” asked Krystal. “But you know what really made me realize that Lu Han is something more to you than just another classmate? It was because in more than one occasion, I caught you staring at him.”

Seohyun’s eyes opened wide.

Krystal smirked and nodded.

“That’s right. You were caught because you can’t resist him.” Said Krystal.

Seohyun sighed.

“Now tell me. Was he the guy you told us about? Was he the first love you had back in grade school?” asked Krystal. “Was he the guy that started all the Reena Choi madness?”

Seohyun clenched her hands.

“Lu Han was the guy I fell in love with when I was young. I have dreamt of finding him and seeing his face again. I have dreamt of talking to him again. But when he came back, he did not even recognized me.” Said Seohyun. “And it makes me angrier than before. It makes me hate her more. It’s all Reena Choi’s fault.”

“I don’t think he remembers Reena Choi either.” Said Krystal. “I don’t see them talking or anything.”

“Not yet.” Said Seohyun. “But he has already started to defend her the other day. That is why I need to stop him from having anymore interactions with Reena Choi. He has to not remember her. He has to completely forget her.”

Krystal looked out the window and saw Lu Han’s group jogging in the field.

“Good luck to that. But personally I think you should start preparing your heart to very cloudy days ahead…” said Krystal. “Think about it. If you still can’t forget your first love until now. Do you think Lu Han would?”

Seohyun bit her lip.

Krystal sighed.

“Good thing my love life isn’t as complicated as yours.” Said Krystal.

“Are you boasting about that maître de guy?” asked Seohyun.

Krystal laughed giddily.

“I’m taking one step at a time. For now he sees me only as his valued client, but soon that’ll change.” Said Krystal.

“I think you should act fast though. That maître de looks hot. I’m sure a lot of girls are trying to get his attention.” Said Seohyun. “But they’re all ordinary women so I guess they don’t stand a chance against you. Unlike in my case, I have to get rid of a Reena Choi just to get his attention.”

“Yup, I’m glad I don’t need to hate on anyone just to fight for my love.” Said Krystal. “Because I won’t accept defeat in this fight.”

-------------------

Lu Han walked the streets that lead to the dorm. He should get familiarized with this place. These are the streets he’d walk frequently from now on. He was wondering who might his roomates be when he saw a familiar face that made him stop on his tracks.

Jill Park.

Jill Park was walking the same street just a few steps ahead of Lu Han. She was pulling a large luggage behind her. She was looking all around her as if she’s lost.

Not good.

Although he would love to help a lost person, this one is a real test.

The last encounter he had with Jill Park was weird. It’s not as if he has not been warned. He was warned.

And yet why is he trapped in this situation where there seems to be no escape from her?

Lu Han walked fast and tried to ignore Jill Park as he walked passed her.

“Hey!” shouted Jill Park.

Oh no! She saw him.

Lu Han looked back and saw Jill Park looking at a cat.

Oh. So the ‘hey!’ was for the cat and not for him?

“You should just go on peeing on someone else shoes.” Said Jill Park. “That’s disrespectful.”

She’s scolding the cat like the cat would understand her.

And then Jill looked up and her eyes met Lu Han’s.

“You.” Said Jill Park.

Darn it. This is why Lu Han hates himself the most when he meddles into other people’s business. He should have just walked on when he saw Jill Park talking to the cat. But instead, he watched a few more seconds. And now, he’s trapped.

“I see you at school and now I see you here too.” said Jill Park. “How nice.”

How nice?

Isn’t that what you say when you run out of things to say?

“Do you live in this neighborhood? This is a very nice place. It’s quiet.” Said Jill Park.

Her voice though was so loud she’s disrupting the quietness.

“I’m sure you love staying here.” Said Jill Park.

Lu Han wanted to end the conversation as early as possible.

“Are you lost?” asked Lu Han.

Jill Park’s eyes widened.

“Wow! It’s like you’re a mind reader.” Said Jill Park. “Cool!”

It was actually pretty obvious.

“The thing is.” Said Lu Han. “I’m also new to this neighborhood.  So… I don’t think I can help you. But where are you trying to go? Maybe we can ask someone.”

The thing about Lu Han is, he usually ends up helping people and that brings him trouble eventually. This instance would not be an exception.

“You are really such a nice person.” Said Jill Park. “I think we’ll get along.”

No, thought Lu Han.

“Where are you going?” asked Lu Han the second time.

“Oh, I’m looking for a dorm nearby.” Said Jill Park. “I am going to move in today.”

Jill moved her luggage slightly forward to emphasize her point.

“A dorm? Which dorm?” asked Lu Han.

Lu Han’s eyes thinned. Could it be….

When Jill Park mentioned the name of the dorm, Lu Han’s shoulders dropped.

No way.

Same dorm?

They will live in the same dorm?

Well then… actually… if they won’t be roomates or housemates, it’s going to be fine right? As long as they won’t see each other that much, there won’t be a problem.

“I think I might just be able to help you.” said Lu Han.

Lu Han led the way, Jill Park followed him. But she’d been walking really slow because of the large luggage.   Lu Han stopped when Jill Park was almost a block away from him.

“Do you need help with that luggage?” asked Lu Han.

“Umm… I can manage.” Said Jill Park. “I am strong. And besides, I need some exercise.”

“Right… but you look tired from pulling it.” Said Lu Han.

“Are you trying to be a Knight in shining armor by helping me with my luggage or are you now irritated that I’m slowing you down that’s why you’re trying to give me a hand?” asked Jill Park

Wow. She’s spot on.

Lu Han was taken aback. He wasn’t used to people reading his mind. He wasn’t used to people seeing is not so goody side.

“Oh… I was just…”

“Never mind. It’s all right.” Jill handed the luggage to Lu Han. “If you were in a hurry, you should’ve told me earlier.  Then I would have gotten us a taxi. A bit expensive for a walking distance place but… it would save you time.”

Hmm… makes sense. But then…

Lu Han pulled the luggage and oh boy it was heavy.

“What’s…inside this? It feels like you’ve brought bottles instead of clothes.” Said Lu Han.

“I brought a lot of things. But mostly, I brought food.” Said Jill Park.

“There are stores around the dorm.” Said Lu Han.

“Really?” asked Jill Park. “I wasn’t sure that’s why I brought food. Anyway, the food I brought are mostly from home. I won’t buy them from stores.”

“Oh…. Right.” Said Lu Han. “I wonder what you can’t buy from stores.”

“Hmm… home cooked meals. My Mom loves cooking.” Said Jill Park. “I hope they have a fridge there.”

Home cooked meals…

It had been so long since Lu Han enjoyed home cooked meals.

Lu Han pulled the extremely heavy luggage as Jill Park walked beside him. What if someone from school sees them together? What will they think? Are they going to judge him for associating with Crazy Jill Park?

It was a relief when Lu Han finally saw the dorm. He will be rid of Jill Park in a few minutes. He led Jill to the reception area.

“She’s new to the dorm.” Said Lu Han.

“Oh Hi.” Said the secretary.

“I’m Jill Park.” Said Jill.

“Oh, so You’re Jill Park. We’ve been waiting for you. You’ve registered last month tentatively but only confirmed your registration yesterday.” Said the secretary.

“Yeah. There were some matters that had to be settled.” Said Jill Park. “But I’m now here.”

“Great.”

“Umm. I’ll excuse myself then.” Said Lu Han.

“Oh, Mr. Lu Han. Why don’t you help Ms. Jill to her room?” asked the secretary.

“huh?” asked Lu Han. “To her room?”

“Yes of course. Didn’t you see the notice on the rooftop house’ bulletin board?” asked the secretary.

What is she talking about? What bulletin board?

“Ms. Jill Park is also going to stay at the roof top house.” Said the secretary.

No way.

“And she’s going to be your roommate.”

Major No Way.

“Wow!” exclaimed Jill Park. “Really? That’s such a good news!”

Lu Han closed his eyes for a second.

“Isn’t it?” Jill pulled Lu Han’s arm.

“That’s so cool! I will be roomates with the Council President!” Jill Park was so overjoyed she was almost shouting. “This is fate! We are bound to be really close buddies! I am soooo excited!”

Buddies? Did she say they’ll be buddies?

No. Way.

Why is this happening?

“There must be some mistake.” Said Lu Han. “Surely you’re not saying a girl and a boy would be roomates.”

The secretary showed the room assignments.

“You’ve been roomates since last week.” Said the secretary.

“That’s… ridiculous!” said Lu Han.

“What’s ridiculous about that?” asked Jill Park. “That’s actually a wonderful news!”

 “And oh.” Said the secretary. “When you get to your rooftop house, don’t forget to read the roommate Accountability Policy. We’re very strict about that.”

------------------------

Lu Han bit his lip in frustration as he stared at the bulletin board inside the rooftop house. What is this accountability policy about? Why does it sound so stupid? And why were the names of the other room’s occupants erased? Does it really need to be a surprise? Who are the occupants of the other room?

“I hope it’s not as bad as having Jill Park as a roommate.” Thought Lu Han.

Actually, the worst have already happened to him. So there’s nothing more to worry about.

“Oh, someone left his phone.” Said Jill Park.

Lu Han saw the phone on the table.

“Right. Must be the other room’s tenant.” Said Lu Han.

“Have you met them?” asked Jill Park.

“Nope. I haven’t.” said Lu Han. “I barely go here the past days because of some… stuff.”

“I see. Too bad that person left his phone. In case of emergency, people won’t be able to reach him.” Said Jill Park.

And then Jill Park started opening her luggage in the living room taking out large food containers. Her bag had only her school uniform and a few extra clothes. The luggage was 80% food.

“Are you afraid of going hungry?” asked Lu Han.

The question just slipped out of his mouth. It was not intended to make an offense, it was just a thought that slipped out.

“Umm… more than being hungry, I’m afraid of being lonely.” Said Jill Park.

But it seems Jill Park just brushed it off. She did not take offense.

“I tend to get homesick often. So I try to bring as much home food as possible.” Said Jill Park. “It helps me to be less lonely.”

Lu Han felt a twitch in his chest. When did he last felt home? When did he last felt homesick? He was so used to not feeling at home even when he was in his own house.

Jill Park opened a food container and the aroma of the food inside spread fast across the room.

The smell was so powerfully delicious that Lu Han felt the sides of his mouth watering. And then without his control, his stomach grumbled.

“I hope that wasn’t so loud.” Thought Lu Han.

Jill Park laughed. She tried to suppress it at first but couldn’t. In the end, she laughed hysterically. Lu Han closed his eyes in embarrassment.

“You… are you hungry?” asked Jill Park, wiping her eyes as she continued to laugh.

“I have just eaten not two hours ago. So I shouldn’t be hungry yet.” Said Lu Han.

“You sure sounded like you might need to eat.” Said Jill Park.

“Umm… my stomach does not cooperate with my brain.” Said Lu Han.

Jill Park took some utensils from the kitchen and then started serving the food for two.

“Here, let’s try my Mom’s cooking.” Said Jill Park.

Let’s?

“C’mon, what are you waiting for? My mom is a good cook. You’ll surely love this.” Said Jill Park.

“Umm… but isn’t that your comfort food? If you share it with me, you’d have nothing left soon.” Said Lu han.

“It’s ok.” Said Jill Park. “I like sharing my Mom’s home cooked food. When people taste her food, it makes me feel like they met her in person.”

“What do you mean?” asked Lu Han.

“Oh, don’t you know?” asked Jill Park. “I thought everyone already knows.”

Jill Park pulled Lu Han to sit beside her to eat.

“Knows what?” asked Lu Han.

“Well, my Mom is sick. She doesn’t leave our house anymore.” Said Jill Park. “There are days she can move around and days she can’t. For days she can move around, she cooks for me.”

“Oh.”

Lu Han felt a sudden heavy feeling. Jill Park’s Mom was sick.

“That’s why she can’t go out anymore and meet people.” Said Jill Park.   “Her food is one of the few ways she could take care of me.”

Lu Han sighed and took a spoon. He took a gulp of the soup and then he couldn’t speak for a moment. The taste of the soup was refreshing and really good! It reminds him of summer, of when the flower blooms. And it also reminded him of how good it was back then, back when he could have these kinds of home cooked meals when he gets home from his kindergarten school.  It reminded him of how warm it was inside to feel the love and care of the person who cooked the meal.

Lu Han felt something touched his face. He looked up and saw Jill Park’s hand gently touching his cheek. His eyes widened. He grabbed Jill Park’s hand and pulled it away.

“You… are crying.” Said Jill Park.

“I’m not.” Said Lu Han.

Jill Park showed Lu Han her wet finger.

“This is your tear.” Said Jill Park.

Lu Han wiped his eyes immediately. Indeed, how can he have cried like a stupid person.

And then Jill Park sniffed.

Lu Han saw Jill starting to wipe her eyes too. And then tears started trickling down her face. And then she made muffled sounds which became louder and louder as it continued.

“Why are you crying?” asked Lu Han.

Weird. Jill Park is definitely weird. Is he really going to have to suffer being her roommate?

“I…I…” Jill Park cried harder. “I am just happy. So happy.”

Happy?

“You cried while eating my Mom’s home cooked meal.” Said Jill Park. “That means you found it really delicious that you would cry, right?”

Oh…

“My Mom she… she seldom gets to hear anyone praising her cooking. Next time I go home, I would tell her that someone loved her cooking. I will tell her my buddy loves her food.” Said Jill Park in between cries.

Lu Han sighed and took another spoon of the soup.

“The soup is refreshing and tasty.” Said Lu Han. “It reminds me of my Mom.”

Jill Park wiped her tears.

“Your Mom?” asked Jill Park.

“She’s gone.” Said Lu Han.

“Oh…”

Jill Park cried harder and this time, she’s bordering to hysterical.

“Hey… Jill. Stop it. People outside would hear you and think I did something to you.” Said Lu Han. “Stop crying like this.”

“That’s… so… sad.” Said Jill Park. “Your Mom is gone… That’s just so sad!”

Lu Han felt something stuck in his throat as his chest tightened painfully, his eyes started to feel burning as a tear escaped his eye.

“I… can’t imagine not having my Mom around. Though she’s sick, I still want her to get well. That is why… “

Jill Park touched Lu Han’s hands with hers, tightly.

“Though your mom is no longer around, don’t be too sad. Everything is going to be all right. You’re a cute guy who everyone likes to hang out with. You’re the council president and everyone respects you. I’m  sure everything will be fine.” Said Jill Park still crying.

Is she trying to comfort him?

“And I will be your buddy from now on. If you remember your mom suddenly, just call me and I will make you happy. I will make you forget the sad moment.” Said Jill Park. “From now on, we’re friends.”

Friends.

Oh boy, he’s in trouble.

---------------------

 

Reena felt everything around her moving.

Weird. What’s up with today? Why is she feeling so dizzy?

“Are you all right?” asked Reena’s Boss. “You almost dropped the soup on the customer earlier.”

“I’m sorry Boss. I… will not do that again. I just got a bit dizzy.” Said Reena.

“You must be sick. You look paler than usual.” Said Reena’s Boss. “Go home early today if you need.”

“Nope Boss. I’ll be fine. Besides, Miyoung is going to be back tomorrow. Work will be a little less starting tomorrow.”

But the dizziness strikes her every now and then.

At eleven in the evening, Reena left work and started walking. But her head is really giving her trouble. She tried to call Jongin to tell him she might need to visit the hospital but Jongin does not pick up. She sent several messages but still no answer. Reena decided to go to Imperial. But as she was going to Imperial, she fell on the side of the road. She stopped there and sat for a while.