Like Magic

Rooftop Rumble

 

 

Chapter 8

Like Magic

 

Reena felt everything around her moving.

Weird. What’s up with today? Why is she feeling so dizzy?

“Are you all right?” asked Reena’s Boss. “You almost dropped the soup on the customer earlier.”

“I’m sorry Boss. I… will not do that again. I just got a bit dizzy.” Said Reena.

“You must be sick. You look paler than usual.” Said Reena’s Boss. “Go home early today if you need.”

“Nope Boss. I’ll be fine. Besides, Miyoung is going to be back tomorrow. Work will be a little less starting tomorrow.”

But the dizziness strikes her every now and then.

At eleven in the evening, Reena left work and started walking. But her head is really giving her trouble. She tried to call Jongin to tell him she might need to visit the hospital but Jongin does not pick up. She sent several messages but still no answer. Reena decided to go to Imperial. But as she was going to Imperial, she fell on the side of the road. She stopped there and sat for a while.

------------------

Kai knew something was missing when he left the dorm earlier. And he couldn’t be more stupid than he was for leaving a very important thing.

His phone.

It was almost eleven and Kai was late from the usual time he leaves work. Reena Choi must already be nervous that she would get interrogated.

Tsk.

Did she already leave work? Or is she the one who’s going to give him the headache of being interrogated? She did say she worked only fifteen minutes from the dorm right? And he did figure out which area she worked. Maybe it’s worth checking.

Jongin went to the streets that had several noodle houses. He went to each one of them asking if there was a Reena Choi working for them. It took him a few blocks of asking before he found the one he was looking for.

“Reena Choi? You mean the pretty Reena who always comes here bruised after school?” asked the Boss.

There was an edge to the Boss’ voice.

“Reena just left. Not five minutes ago.” Said Reena’s Boss. “Who are you?”

“Oh I’m…a housemate.” Said Kai.

“Oh really? I didn’t know she had a housemate. She always looked alone, I didn’t know she had any friends who cares for her. You get what I mean right? I just feel that there’s nobody defending her all this time.”

Kai felt the bitterness in the Boss’ words. The Boss obviously knew the bullying.

“She looked sick when she left. If I had a car, I would have taken her to her house.” said the Boss. “She looked like she’ll faint soon.”

This is bad. Kai felt a sudden dark feeling.

“Which direction did she go?” asked Kai.

Kai walked fast. He ran to the direction Reena’s Boss told him. He ran around the area to see if Reena was still around. And then he found a couple of men standing around something… or someone. They were joking around. And then he noticed the familiar set of shoes.

Reena Choi.

Reena was sitting by the side of the street while three men were standing around her. She appears to be sleeping and the three men don’t look to have the purest of intentions.

Kai clenched his hand. This time, he’s Kai. He’s not the useless Jongin. He’s now the dependable Kai.

This time he’s not going to make her look at him like the way she did in that library.

“Finally.” Said Kai. “I found you.”

The three men turned back and saw Kai.

“Where were you?” Kai walked forward pass the three men. And then he pulled Reena up.

“I went to look for you but you were gone.” said Kai.

Reena slowly opened her eyes. She didn’t look well.

“You… Kai.” whispered Reena.

The three men looked at him suspiciously.

“I… called you.” Said Reena. “You didn’t… pick up.”

Reena was breathing as though she’s catching her breath. And then Reena closed her eyes again.

She just fainted. Again.

“Get out of my way.” Said Kai.

“Why will we?” said one of the men. “We saw her first.”                             

“What?” Kai felt a vile taste in his mouth. “Seriously? Didn’t you see we knew each other? Do you want me to report you to the police for taking a girl you don’t know?”

The men started to look uneasy.

Kai calmed himself. He took a deep breath.

“Gentlemen, I assure you. You don’t want to compromise a really good evening.” Said Kai, a threat in his voice.

“You’re a bit arrogant.” Said one of the men.

 Kai sighed. He sat Reena back down. And then he loosened his long sleeves shirt ready for the fight ahead.

 “You know I hate wasting time on useless things that’s why it’s better if we get it on. I have a curfew to meet.” Said Kai.

“Kai!”

Everyone turned to their right. It was Yunho.

“What’s up?” asked Yunho. “Oh… are these men causing you problems?”

“Yeah.” Said Kai.

The men looked at each other and move away from them.

“We’ll let it go for tonight.” Said the men and then they went away.

“You still have it , hyung.” Said Kai. “People here are still frightened by the mere sight of you.”

Yunho chuckled.

“I can’t help it.” Said Yunho.

Kai lifted Reena up and when Reena did not wake up, he carried her on his back.

“What happened to Reena?” asked Yunho.

“Her Boss said she’s been sick earlier. It seems like she fainted.” Said Kai. “I’m going to bring her to the hospital.”

“Good thing you found her.” Said Yunho. “Or else, she may have it bad with those kinds of men around.”

Kai and Yunho walked towards the taxi stop.

“It seems she’s the type that catches the attention of erted guys.” Said Kai.

Yunho laughed.

“What?” asked Kai.

“You still don’t see it huh?” asked Yunho.

“See what?” asked Kai.

Yunho shook his head in unbelief.

“You are blind, my brother.” Said Yunho. “Blind or numb I don’t know which is which with regard to you.”

“What do you mean?” asked Kai.

Yunho stopped laughing and seriously faced Kai.

“The woman you’re carrying behind you is pretty. She’s beautiful. Only the blind would not see.” Said Yunho.

Kai fell silent for a while.

“She may not be as stunning as those kpop idols you see on TV but her face is not ordinary. She’s the type who becomes more and more beautiful the more you look at her.” Said Yunho. “And tonight just proved that I’m not the only one who thinks so.”

Kai shook his head as he brushed Yunho’s words off. He took a taxi and as he was going  to leave, Yunho stopped him.

“So be careful, Kai, men are starting to notice her.” Said Yunho. “Good thing high school girls are not my thing.”

Yunho smiled and then he left.

Kai made an irritated grunt.

“Let’s go to the nearest hospital.” He instructed the taxi driver.

-------------------

At exactly 11:45PM, Kai sent a message to report to the dorm management that Reena is in the hospital. She fell sick and the doctors are still checking on her. Kai specifically told the management that they need to contact Reena’s family just so they would know where to look for her. No interrogation necessary. The dorm management just replied with.

“We will not report this incident for now. Kindly send an update after two hours.”

Which means he needs to stay beside Reena and report it to the dorm management as if he’s her nanny.

Kai closed his eyes.

What is happening to Reena? These past days, she looked the usual, she did the usual. Did she have it too exhausting at work because of that guy who got married and left all the work to her? Did the bullying in school finally take a toll on her body?

Kai felt that bitter taste in his mouth again.

The doctor pulled the curtains away.

“Are you her housemate?” asked the doctor.

“Yes.” Answered Kai.

“She’s suffering a vertigo attack. Plus, she’s anemic. She said this isn’t the first time she had this kind of attack. She said it’s normally triggered by lack of sleep. It seems she was not able to sleep well the past days.” said the doctor. “She just needs rest. I already gave her medication for the vertigo.” Said the Doctor.

Why couldn’t she sleep?

Kai nodded and then the doctor left. Kai went to Reena. Reena was awake, but she still looked awfully pale.

“Why couldn’t you sleep?” asked Kai. “Are you feeling threatened by having a male roommate? I told you, it shouldn’t bother you since I don’t have the slightest intention to do anything towards you.”

“I know.” Said Reena. “It was not because I thought you might do something to me.”

Jongin was more than clear about that.

“So why couldn’t you sleep? Is it because of the bullying? Does it haunt you even in dreams?” asked Kai.

“No. Unlike you, my dreams are full of good things, things that does not happen in reality. Sometimes I’d rather stay in my dreams.” Said Reena.

“So why couldn’t you sleep?” asked Kai.

“Algebra.” Answered Reena. “I had to finish the assigned problems in Algebra. It was submitted this morning. I was only able to solve 65 problems out of 100. And out of the 65, I am sure I got half of it incorrectly.”

“You did not sleep for days just to do your assignment which you already know would fail?” asked Kai. “That’s weird. If you think you’d fail, why bother going through the pain of doing it?”

“Because I have to at least give it a try.” Said Reena.

“If you’re going to give it a try then at least be positive about it. If you’re going to work hard for it, then try to visualize a success and not a failure.” Said Kai. “Half of the battle is done inside the head. If you think you’d fail, you’d really fail.”

Reena was silent for a while.

“My bag. The paper I used in computing for the answers is there. Can you check it please? You are the Prime section #1 in terms of Academics right?” asked Reena.

Kai’s eyes thinned. Is he now going to be her checker?

“Please.” Said Reena.

She sounded like her voice is going to fade.

Kai pulled Reena’s bag from the table, took her notebook and then sat on a nearby chair. He went through Reena’s answer for a few minutes. And then he sighed.

“See, I told you right? I’m not trying to be pessimistic. I really am not good in Algebra. That’s a fact.” Said Reena.

Reena’s answers are mostly incorrect. But her incorrect answers were usually caused by careless errors.

“If I am an Algebra doctor, I’d diagnose your problem.” Said Kai. “It’s not that you’re weak in Algebra. It’s just that you’re careless. In some problems, you got the sign of the answer incorrect. In some problem, you almost got the right answer but did not do the proper operation at the last minute of the solution.”

Reena looked confused.

“What I mean to say is.” Said Kai. “There’s still hope for you in terms of Algebra. You just need extra practice. And be reminded to be careful of the usual mistakes you do.”

Reena’s eyes lit up.

“Really… You’re the first person to say that. Even the teachers don’t give me much hope.” Said Reena, her voice croaky and weak. “That’s comforting to hear.”

Reena closed her eyes. She looked tired.

“Some of the teachers would say that you have to show your solution just so that they would see that you really solved the problem on your own and not just copied your answer from someone else. But most of them don’t really go through the solution in detail. If they do, they’d also see how careless you are. And how many answers you could’ve gotten right if you were careful enough.” Said Kai.

Kai’s words may sound harsh at some point but for Reena, they felt really good inside.

Kai is the first in years to tell her that she can still improve, that something can still change in her life.

“That means a lot to me.” Said Reena. “I hope there’s really still hope for me.”

Is she just talking about Algebra? Or is it a hope about other things too?

Hmm… There are a lot of things that’s bothering Kai about Reena. There are a lot of questions forming in his head.

And he’s going to get the answers.

----------------------

 Reena was clumsy on their way home. It was two in the morning. Reena insisted that she wanted to go back to the dorm instead of staying in the hospital. As soon as her dizziness subsided, they went on their way back to the dorm. Reena almost fell trice on the same block. And it was making Kai frustrated.

He grabbed Reena’s arm and then held it while walking.

Reena’s eyes widened.

What is Kai doing?

“I can… walk on my own.” Said Reena.

Kai’s hand on her arm felt… warm.

“You can’t.” said Kai. “When I was sick, I clearly admitted I needed your help. So don’t be too prideful and just admit you need my help now.”

“But I…”

“Don’t continue talking if you’re only going to repeat saying I can walk on my own.” Said Kai.

Reena fell silent.

“You’re too easy to read.” Said Kai.

“Yeah, people say that a lot about me.” Said Reena.

“People?”

Aren’t people in school scared of talking to Reena because they too might get bullied?

“Oh, I mean those people in school who loves to torment me. They told me before that they can clearly see on my face what my mind is thinking. They knew when I’m hurt the most.” Said Reena.

Reena was catching her breath while walking. She’s clearly not OK.

“That is why I was practicing poker face the past months. It seems to be working a bit. I got them confuse for a while. However, they’re starting to be more creative because of that. They even thought of stripping me in school.”

The memory of what happened in the library flashed before Kai again. And that familiar dreading feeling came back.

“I wonder what they’ll think of doing next time.” Said Reena.

Kai sighed.

“You should think of a way to stop them instead of anticipating what they’ll do to you next.” Said Kai.

Reena did not answer. But Kai heard her response with just how pained her face looked.

It’s not like I did not try that before. It’s not like I did not try fighting before. It’s just that I’m now tired of fighting that I allow them to continue hurting me.

Kai felt really bad inside. It’s like his chest is starting to cave in.

What is happening to him? What is it to him if she’s bullied? It’s none of his business right?

But why does he feel this way?

When Kai and Reena reached the dorm, Kai put his glasses and shuffled his hair to look more like Jongin. Reena still couldn’t understand how fast he could transform.

“It’s like magic.” Said Reena.

Jongin just shook his head.

And then they entered the dorm.

-----------------

It was like the three bears going back home only to find something weird in their house. They chair, porridge and bed were not in the proper order. Someone has gotten in the house.

That was how Reena and Jongin felt like when they reached the rooftop house. The sink has some food containers just washed. The fridge had a lot of food, it was almost full of food.

“Someone went here.” Said Jongin.

“For sure.” Agreed Reena.

The washed spoon and fork by the sink were two pairs.

“Two people.” Said Jongin.

“Who can they be?” asked Reena. “Could the other room’s occupants be in the house already?”             

“Possibly.” Said Jongin.

Jongin went to the bulletin board.

“There’s a welcome greeting here. But no names.” Said Jongin.

“So that means they’re inside that room right?” asked Reena.

“Yeah. Possibly.” Said Jongin.

“Weird. It feels weird.” Said Reena.

“Weird?” asked Jongin.

“It feels weird that we are no longer just the two people in the house.”

“Oh.”

Jongin felt uneasy suddenly.

“I’m curious about them.” Sad Reena.

What kind of outcasts would they be? Or could they be normal students?

And then suddenly, the door of the other room opened. Both Jongin and Reena’s eyes went to the door.

A girl went out scratching her eyes and yawning. She had her eyes closed but she was walking.

The girl was overly familiar.

Reena unconsciously pulled Jongin’s sleeves. Jongin made a long sigh.

Their housemate is none other than…

Jill Park.

Crazy Jill Park.

And then Jill slammed against the wall. Jill’s eyes opened and then she started crying with the pain that suddenly attacked her.

Reena closed her eyes with the impact. That would be extremely painful!

“This is a scene I never once imagined.” Said Jongin.

“Me neither.” Said Reena.

She’s becoming dizzy again.

Another person went out of the room.  This time, it was a guy. He was wearing a shirt and a shorts.

“What are you crying about now? You just stopped crying not an hour ago, right?” asked the guy. “We need to sleep. You have to stop crying. We still need to go to school tomorrow.”

But Jill Park continued to cry.

That guy too is overly familiar.

He’s no other than…

Lu Han.

Reena let go of Jongin’s sleeves. And Jongin’s eyes thinned.

“It’s so painful here.” Jill Park pointed on her forehead.

“Did you bump on the wall? Did you just sleep walk?” asked Lu Han.

She’s crazy and now she sleepwalks?

Jill Park just pouted her lips.

Tsk!

 “I’ll get an ice bag.” Said Lu Han.

Reena sighed. If it were Jongin, he’ll not get an ice bag. He’ll just say ‘That was stupid of you. You wouldn’t be hurt if you didn’t allow the wall to hurt you.’

And the Lu Han stopped. Standing by the kitchen are two familiar faces. They both looked confused as they stared at him.

Reena Choi?

And Kim Jongin?

“What… are you two doing here?” asked Lu han.

“That’s our question exactly.” Said Kim Jongin.

“You…” Lu Han pointed at Jongin and then at Reena.

“Do you two stay here?” asked Lu Han.

“He’s a smart guy.” Thought Reena.

“That’s pretty obvious.” Thought Jongin.

 “Are you the new tenants?” asked Reena.

Lu Han’s eyes widened.

“So you do live here too? In that room?” asked Lu Han, with disbelief.

Reena nodded.

Too bad for the cool guy Lu Han, he’s unfortunately dumped with the outcasts.

“What a house.” Thought Lu Han.

Jill wiped her tears.

“Reena Choi and the Prime section #1 are our housemates?” asked Jill Park. “This is so great isn’t it? This is just amazing!”

Jill Park is now laughing joyfully like she wasn’t crying just a few seconds ago.

Jill Park went towards Reena and hugged her tight. Reena was shocked.

“I am sooo happy. I have my roommate buddy Lu Han. And now I have my best friend Reena Choi and my super intelligent friend… Prime section #1 as my housemates!” said Jill Park.

Kim Jongin rolled his eyes. Jill Park doesn’t even know his name.

“Best…friend?” Reena’s eyes widened. What is Jill Park saying? How did they become best friends?

Jill Park let Reena go and then she stretched her arm so that she could shake Kim Jongin’s hand.

“I don’t want friends.” Said Kim Jongin. “I am not here to make friends.”

“Great.” Said Jill Park.

Great? Reena closed her eyes for a second.

“Because I don’t want a friend either.” Said Jill Park. And then she quickly went in front of Kim Jongin and hugged him.

“Because what I want are real and close friends, not just ordinary friends who will come and go.” Said Jill Park.  “And we’re going to be real friends. I can feel it. The four of us will be best of friends, buddies, pals… we’ll be inseparable.” Said Jill Park.

“That’s not likely to happen.” Kim Jongin pushed Jill Park away. Good thing Lu Han was behind her to catch her when Jill Park almost fell.

“Hey, that wasn’t so nice.” Said Jill Park.

“I never said I’m nice.” Said Kim Jongin. “And then he went to his room leaving the three.”

“He’s a complicated person.” said Jill Park.

When that kind of statement comes from Complicated Crazy Jill Park, it sounds weird.

“Don’t worry.” said Reena. “He may sound like a really cold person. And he is…”

Reena took a deep breath.

“But I think he’s really a good person inside.” Said Reena.

“How can you say?” asked Lu Han.

Lu Han’s voice went a bit deeper.

“Are you two close?” he asked.

“huh?” asked Reena.

“Being roomates, did it make you two close?” repeated Lu Han.

“Oh… we’re far from being close friends but…” Reena looked at Jongin’s closed door. “He’s not a bad person. Kim Jongin is not a bad person.”

And though Jongin was inside his room, he heard Reena loud and clear.

His chest started to feel strange like something tingling.

Weird. And then he felt the door of his room opening. Reena entered it. She sat on her bed. They were both silent for a while.

“Things would be different around here now.” Said Reena after a minute. “The positive side of me says Interesting things will happen. The negative side of me says there’s going to be a bumpy ride ahead. I don’t know which to think more.”

And then Reena lain on her bed. She yawned and seems to have started drifting off to sleep. Jongin turned to look at Reena. And then he sighed. She did not even change into her sleeping clothes, she normally wears a lose shirt and shorts to sleep. Plus, she did not even bother washing her face. Is she even a woman?

Jongin stood up and tapped Reena.

“Wake up, go wash up first before you go to sleep.” Said Jongin.

Reena just moaned in her sleep. She’s perspiring. Jongin touched Reena’s head and she felt cold.

Right. She’s still weak. She’s still sick. He almost forgot.

Jongin went to the washroom and took a small basin with water and facial wash. He then took a small towel. He sat on the side of Reena’s bed and ever so gently put some water on Reena’s face. He massaged some facial wash on her making sure he covers her entire face, her face was small, almost just like the size of his entire hand. And then he washed the soap off.

Reena did not wake up the entire time. With the towel, Jongin dried Reena’s face. And then he just sat there, on Reena’s bed beside her, staring at her face.

Reena’s skin is good. There could be one or two old pimple mark but that’s it. She has long lashes, something he only noticed now. Her nose is not too long nor too short. It’s not too pointy but just right for her. And then he went lower to look at Reena’s lips. She has rather thin lips. She doesn’t have the Angelina Jolie type of lips. But it isn’t bad. It actually makes her face glow when she smiles with her thin lips. Jongin reached his fingers and touched Reena’s lips. They’re soft. Thin but soft.

And then Jongin immediately withdrew his hand. What is he doing?

Jongin looked back at Reena.

Reena Choi… is pretty.

“It’s like magic.” whispered Jongin.

Yunho Hyung was right. How come he only noticed it now? How come he has never paid attention to her in the past?

Jongin knew the answer. It was because he never cared to look.              And now that he started looking…

“The woman you’re carrying behind you is pretty. She’s beautiful. Only the blind would not see. She may not be as stunning as those kpop idols you see on TV but her face is not ordinary. She’s the type who becomes more and more beautiful the more you look at her. And tonight just proved that I’m not the only one who thinks so.”

Jongin bit his lip as he closed his eyes in frustration.

This is bad.

Yunho was so right that he wasn’t the only one who thinks so.

 

 

 

 

 

Kai