Zero is a Color - Jaydreamer

VIXX Review Shop | CLOSED | HIRING REVIEWERS!
VIXX REVIEW SHOP

 

[16/07/2017: SHOP NOW OPEN!REQUEST NOW!]

 
Zero is a Color - Jaydreamer
Reviewed by Vonchic
Title
 
The title is very interesting, and when I first read it, it had me asking why. If I saw your fic on my feed, I’d definitely click on it because of the title.

One problem with this though, is the capitalization. It should be Zero Is a Color.
 
Description/Foreword
 

My ‘why’ was answered when I read the description, and I mean that in a good way. The universe in which your story was set was already established in the description—this meant that I wouldn’t be confused once I read your story. It was a good introduction, and although I also feel like other people may find that your description reveals too much but it’s good enough for me.

Appearance
 

The font size and style didn’t take away from readability. The poster also suited the mood of the fic…it wasn’t angsty and it wasn’t fluffy—just right in the middle, where your story is.

Plot
 

Soulmate AU fics aren’t new to me but this is the first time I encountered a soulmate!au fic where most of it was set in the hospital, so I commend you for that, for giving this genre a flavour of your own.

While I was reading, I wondered how Hoseok immediately knew that the buff guy on the other side of the road was his soulmate. While his the numbers in his watch were going down, Hoseok’s anxiousness and excitement was shown, but the moment his eyes laid on Hyunwoo, it didn’t at all feel special…and I get it that it wasn’t supposed to be like that (Hyunwoo, after all, wasn’t his soulmate), but I feel like if you instead put emphasis on that moment, you’d fool your readers (lol) and make the plot twist more shocking. To do this, I thought you could say: He looked across the street, through the passing cars. And Hoseok saw him.

I was confused while I was reading that part because I knew that Hyungwon was skinny, and I was expecting this to be a HoseokxHyungwon fic, but yeah, those are just my two cents on that front ^^.
Your title was all over this fic, not literally, but I thought it was great that the idea of (Zero is a Color) was reiterated all throughout this fic. I especially love this line:

“But gazing into Hyungwon's eyes, all Hoseok could think was, zero was such a lovely shade of brown.”

Your fic made me laugh, swoon, and cringe (because Hyungwon was a straightforward creep in Hyungwon’s room lmao). I can’t say it made me sad, though, since I don’t get sad because of written works. But I do understand why your other readers would, so the problem is all me.

That said, I feel like Hyunwoo’s letter was a bit out of place. I understand its purpose, though, and it also helped Hoseok in realizing that “Zero is just the beginning”. But, I don’t know, it just felt a bit random? They were the words of someone who had found and lost his soulmate too soon and he somehow wanted to help Hoseok who had just found his own soulmate. I just felt like there were unnecessary details on that letter because it established another pairing that wasn’t exactly crucial to the story.

I really babbled on that last part, I’m so sorry if I didn’t make sense, but I'll discuss it more below.
 

Characters
 
The only character that you really expounded on was Hoseok. The story was set in such a short period of time that I thought it would be difficult to execute a character that was well-made and didn’t feel half-baked. But Hoseok was that character. Hoseok was enough in moving the story to its completion.
 
Hyungwon, on the other hand, was just shown enough to be called the main character, but it was all through Hoseok’s thoughts. I also loved how Hyungwon could be so savage right after waking up from a coma, lmao.
 
“His name was Lee Minhyuk. He was tall and thin. He had soft, fluffy hair. He was cheerful, caring, bright, a ray of sunshine.” This line for me was what I was talking about when I said ‘unnecessary’. It showed Hyunwoo’s affection for Minhyuk, and even though this was more ‘telling’ than it was ‘showing’, we never really had the chance to know Hyungwon the same way we knew Minhyuk. Yeah, Minhyuk is not even a physical character in the story, but he was described as ‘”caring, bright, a ray of sunshine.”, but there were no such things for Hyungwon.
Details
 

I liked how you wrote the details. It felt like I was in the same room as Hoseok this whole time. Good job on that one!

Grammar
 
You don’t have problems with grammar. It’s almost perfect! But! I feel that you sometimes tend to make your sentences wordy, which in turn made them redundant, as shown in the examples:
 
“He tried to focus on the optimistic possibility of his soulmate surviving and seeing him tomorrow…”
 
“The room and hallway were quiet, all the surgical action and noisy machinery confined to the operating rooms behind closed doors that prohibited entry.”
 
Did you perhaps mean ‘pore’ for this sentence?
“Instead, he had poured over every picture of Hyungwon that was in the magazine he brought with him from the waiting room.”
Flow
 

The story was set in a few days and even with such a short time, you got to execute the plot well. Some parts were confusing in that there were two nameless people who were in the accident, but it probably just needs some re-reading.

Overall Enjoyment
 

When I first received this request, I was excited to review it because I love Monsta X! This is actually my first Monsta X fanfic and I want to thank you for giving me the honor of reviewing this story! This is, by far, the best fic I’ve ever had the pleasure of reviewing, so thank you for giving me that experience!
I hope you were satisfied with this review! I’m sorry if I didn’t make myself clear in some parts but you’re welcome to discuss it with me! Thank you for choosing this review shop! Please don’t forget to credit us in your foreword and comment down below once you have received your review! Have a nice day! :)