Reboot - shesamytheu

VIXX Review Shop | CLOSED | HIRING REVIEWERS!
VIXX REVIEW SHOP

 

[16/07/2017: SHOP NOW OPEN!REQUEST NOW!]

 
Reboot - shesamytheu
Reviewed by Vonchic
Title
 

Reboot is a pretty common word but there’s something about it being a technical word that makes it interesting to me. The word reboot also tells me that the main characters have already met previously though it can also signify a fresh start.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see a connection with the title and the story, but I’m guessing it’s because I didn’t read enough.

Description/Foreword
 

The description caught my attention the first time I read it but it’s a bit blocky, like it sounds awkward and unnatural.

Original: As the news—or false accusation, as she insists—of her bullying a student spreads widely, the school takes initiative and puts her as the manager of a never-heard-before school band.

Suggested: As the rumor of her bullying a student spreads widely, the school takes initiative and puts her as the manager of a never-heard-before school band.

I chose the word rumor because it makes the whole sentence less wordy and it makes it flow more naturally.

Appearance
 

The font style and size are readable. There aren’t necessary formats that take away from readability.

Plot
 

The plot is light-hearted, and the “girl meets boy as part of punishment” isn’t new to me but you’ve given this your own flavor by adding the injustice bit. It was also unexpected how the band .


You also tagged this fic as romance and comedy. For the romance bit, I’m guessing that will come in the future but as for the comedy, I didn’t once think that the fic is funny.

Characters
 
First of all Gain is a very thoughtful character. She also has a sarcastic tone, and is very stubborn. I like that she is imperfect, but it’s hard to keep up with her inner voice despite it (her inner voice) being there all throughout the story.
 
The other characters haven’t been given enough spotlight. I feel like Baekhyun has more character than Kyungsoo, but that may have to do with the female character still figuring Kyungsoo out. I feel like there isn’t much to judge, as far as I’ve read.
 
Details
 

There were details but somehow it feels like the way you narrated the story (with the main character always in her thoughts) hindered you from establishing imagery. It's not that bad though. There were also some really glaring adjectives that feel out of place which I'll talk about below.

Grammar
 
You have a passable grasp on grammar but I find that your wording is very unnatural. Some parts also tend to get confusing because of their wordiness. I suggest building up your vocabulary and learning to use simpler words. Often, people turn away from simple words and lean towards more sophisticated terms but that isn’t always a good thing. The first concern should be on communicating your intended message to your audience; making it sound pretty comes afterwards.
 
 
“Right on the spot, I had already estimated the probability of surviving the hearing, eighty-eight percent of the time, I would hit the right spot, and the result of the hearing had just happened to be in that eighty-eight percent side. I wouldn’t call that bad luck, but bad judgement from the president herself.”
 
I didn’t really understand what was going on in this sentence. Maybe it has to do with misuse of punctuation but I really didn’t understand.
 
 
 
“It sounded like a good strategy, but the longer I stayed in the classroom, the more I felt my anger glowing brighter.”
 
It’s interesting how you chose to compare anger to something that glows but this honestly felt awkward to me. Even though this may be metaphorical, it’s a bit difficult to wrap my head around that. Wouldn’t it be more correct to say “…the more I felt my anger growing stronger…” or the likes.
 
 
 
Original: “Dad was cooking something inedible when I entered the house, and I had to hold myself from turning off the stove and pulling him away from it when I noticed the blackish soup.”
 
Suggested: “…and I had to keep myself from turning off the stove…”
 
 
 
“Then you’re gonna consume that yourself,” I told him. “Ryu and I are gonna order some pizzas.”
 
For this, I feel it’s more appropriate to just say ‘eat’. “Then you’re gonna eat that yourself.” I’ve never heard people in real life say ‘consume’ in settings such as the one in the story.
 
 
 
"Day dreaming all day and being overly imaginative doesn't make somebody qualified to be called an adult–well, even ‘teenager’ alone was exaggerative and laughable."
 
For this part, I feel like if you change it to “…even ‘teenager’ alone was too much.” Too much makes sounds easier to the ears but also doesn’t change the intended meaning. Exaggerative isn't even a word.
 
 
“No matter how much you think that it is not considered bullying, we pretty much think it is.”
I believe it’s best to omit ‘pretty much’ as it makes the speaker sound unsure and unconfident.
 
 
“I walked out of the room with the feeling of satisfaction for being able to defend my stance and my refusal to be told otherwise by others. Though, the intense stares and occasional glares I got from my classmates as I was sitting on my seat weren’t able to be balanced out by that feeling of satisfaction. At least ten out of twenty-five students in my class had the decency to pretend like they didn’t notice me coming inside. The other fourteen were showing me their indifference. Another one, Sooyoung, was smirking.”
 
This was just too wordy. If I were to simplify this, I’d say:
“I walked out of the room satisfied that I was able to stand my ground, although that didn’t help the stares and glares I received from my classmates as I sat on my chair. At least half of them pretended like they didn’t notice me come inside. The other half showed only indifference. One special case was Sooyoung, who smirked at me.”
Didn’t that flow better?
 
 
 
“My deep judgment and mental complaints were disturbed as I heard the sound of glass being broken into pieces.”
“My thoughts were disturbed as I heard the sound of glass being broken into pieces.”
 
 
“His crumpled school uniform and crooked tied made me feel threatened, so as soon as he lifted his head and stared at me, I threw my notebook at him. It hit him in the chest, but I guessed it wasn’t all mega since he didn’t even wince.”
Mega means huge, but even then, I still don’t know how that word fits in this sentence.
Flow
 

In the three chapters I read, I didn’t see much development in the characters or the plot. The flow is slow and there were parts that I deemed were unnecessary.

Overall Enjoyment
 

Truthfully, I had a lot of expectations because your foreword/description sounded really promising. I guess I was thrown off because the description was in third person but the actual chapters are in first person? But that was just one of my few first impressions. After that, it was just very difficult to immerse myself in the story because of the language. Like, I get that the main character is thoughtful, but most of the time, her train of thought just feels out of place. Your wording is very unnatural, thus not helping in making the story be more believable. I couldn’t get past the language and I’m sorry about that.

I only read until chapter three, then skimmed over chapter four to see if there were any significant developments (both in the plot and in the characters), but I found none, so I stopped there.

I'm so sorry if I was harsh in any way. I saw in your feed updates that you are discontinuing the story. I'm not sure what to say about that...but if you asked for a review, then it means you want to better yourself, right? I really hope I was able to help.

 

Thank you for requesting at our shop! Please don't forget to credit us on your foreword, and comment below once you've received your review! :)