My handsome neighbor - Loveyoukpop

VIXX Review Shop | CLOSED | HIRING REVIEWERS!
VIXX REVIEW SHOP

 

[16/07/2017: SHOP NOW OPEN!REQUEST NOW!]

 
My handsome neighbor - Loveyoukpop
Reviewed by Vonchic
Title
 

The title doesn’t interest me because it just doesn’t sound like a story I’d read. It sounds bland and it’s a really common title. Also, you should properly capitalize titles (same goes for your chapter titles). In this case, you write ‘My Handsome Neighbor’, capitalizing the beginning of each word.

Description/Foreword
 

Your description has faulty grammar, and if I was just a normal reader and not a reviewer, I would definitely not click on the next button because I wouldn’t want to read because I wouldn’t want to find out.

Original: The (1)door next to (2)eunji's has always been empty. (3) Eunji was never been hugged by any boy ( except her friends) nor being kissed. (4)Until one day. That one day changed Eunji's life. She's never been the same. From a lonely girl to a busy girl. What happened that day? Read to find out.


1 – I suggest you write house/room/apartment instead of ‘door’. And I get that you used a figure of speech to represent the house/apartment but I feel like if you use any of the above-mentioned words, it’ll sound more natural and more coherent.
2 – You should capitalize proper nouns.
3 – Faulty grammar. I suggest you write: “Eunji has never been hugged or kissed by a boy.”
4 – This is where it gets glaringly obvious, the fact that you jumped from one thought to another throughout this whole paragraph. You also made sentences out of fragments (incomplete thoughts) and that’s just a bad decision. You also said to read your fic to know what happened that day but everything was hinted in the description: Someone moved in to the house next to Eunji’s and it so happened that they kissed or hugged and the story goes from there.

Appearance
 

The font style and size are okay. They don’t disturb the readability.

Plot
 

The main character lives alone and tells the readers her thoughts about living alone. The empty, neighboring apartment is also introduced through the MC’s thoughts. The next day, a new student arrives and consequently, said student happens to be living in the room next to the main character’s. But after that, nothing happens yet.


Honestly, I feel like you haven’t shown enough of the plot for me to write a sensible review on it. There weren’t developments yet, which is understandable considering the flow of the story. You used three (very short) chapters to introduce the story and I’m not sure how it will progress.

Characters
 
Likewise, there isn’t much to judge…The things I learned about the characters so far were only superficial and skin-deep.
Details
 

I don’t think there were enough details. I felt blind reading the story. If I didn’t know any of the idols you used in your fic, I wouldn’t have known how the characters looked like. Make sure to show put enough details to guide your readers through the story. Details are important, but it’s also important that you don’t go overboard with them, and I’ve seen people put too many details because they were compensating. Don’t be that person.

Grammar
 
>I hate Mrs Kim! If something terribly happened to her, then why is she showing us her anger!?
The girl was adorably!
 
Terribly and adorably are adverbs. You use adverbs to describe verbs. For these two sentences, what you needed were adjectives (which describe nouns) i.e. adorable, terrible.
 
 
>Eunji calm down. You should not worry about such small problems.
This felt so out of the blue. You should italicize the inner thoughts of the speaker to indicate the difference. Also, add a coma when addressing someone: Eunji, calm down.
 
 
>Original: Again, I forgot to give Mrs Choi the rent money and she again , for the fifth time scolded me for being forgetful. Yes, I am forgetful. Little too much forgetful.
Suggested: I forgot to give Mrs Choi the rent money, and she, for the fifth time, scolded me for being forgetful. Yes, I am forgetful… a little too forgetful.
 
 
>U wouldn't believe how much time I spend to console Mrs Choi.
Spell out your words completely. Otherwise, it makes you look lazy.
Another example: "Hi Ji-ah. How are you?? Yesterday Chorong invited you for lunch but you didnt came. Were u sick?
You should also put an apostrophe (‘) where you cut words (in this case: didn’t.). Also, make sure to use a closing parenthesis to close the dialogue.
 
>I maked some food for myself and ate it. Then I went straight to bed. I don't know what is coming for me tomorrow.
>Morning came and I waked up and brushed my teeth and dressed myself up.
Make and wake are irregular verbs. To properly make such verbs into their past tense form, you change the spelling. In this case: make > made; wake > woke.
 
I feel like you know about this, though, since you used the correct past tense form of ‘make’ in the second chapter. In light of this, make sure to brush up on the things that you already know so you won’t forget.
 
 
>She entered the bathroom and stand in front of the mirror. She saw that her cheeks are red.
The past tense of ‘stand’ is ‘stood’, and the past tense of ‘are’ is ‘were’. You use the past tense form of these words to exercise parallelism, which basically means being consistent in your choice of tenses.
 
 
>"Good morning class, today a new boy will join your class. Please introduce yourself Mr Byun." Mrs Hwang pointed to the new boy.
" Hello. I am Byun Baekhyun. Please take care of me." That new boy named Baekhyun came a quick introduction of himself.
 
You used the phrase ‘new boy’ thrice just for these sentences alone. There’s no need to repeat something so much as it gets redundant. Rather, choose other words that would help you express a similar thought or other way of referencing to Baekhyun.
 
Also, instead of ‘came’, use other words like ‘said’ or ‘did’ because you can’t ‘come an introduction’.
 
All in all, you have really bad grammar. I’m sorry if that was harsh. Grammar is one of the basic foundations of writing. And your goal in writing is to communicate a story. How will you succeed in telling a story if the grammar makes the story difficult to understand? I really suggest you study more and get a beta-reader to help you.
Flow
 

The flow was slow for me. The chapters were too short. I feel you could have enclosed everything you wrote in the three chapters into one.
I hated how you switch the point of views every so often. That doesn’t help in establishing a constant flow. Please stick to just one.

Overall Enjoyment
 

I didn’t at all enjoy the story. I don’t like this kind of genre in the first place, but there are stories with this genre that I do find enjoyable. The bad grammar and the flow were the main reasons why.

I’m sorry if I was harsh. I also acknowledge that I could have told you in a kinder way but I felt it was urgent that I let you know in the way I chose. Anyway, I hope this only inspires you to study harder. I didn’t mean for it to let you down. Just take it as criticism.

Thank you for choosing our review shop. Please don’t forget to credit us in your foreword and comment after you received your review! I’m sorry it took a long time.