He Loves or Loved Him?

Finally You

 

Kai once again refocuses his attention on the papers in front of him, trying to fix his failed language papers. But he was having trouble concentrating right now. His heart beats unrhythmically. And the dots of sweat popping up on his forehead doesn’t help either. The place, weather, hot air and basically the world doesn’t support him to get a good grades.

Five minutes later, he really gave up after seeing the sweat already dripping on the paper. Hastily he wiped his forehead with a long sigh. Ugh gross!!! “Why, ohh why?!” Kai mumbles, using his sleeve to wipe the sweat flowing down on his temple.

Now that all the paper neatly stacked in the bag, he realizes there’s another problem that makes him difficult to concentrate or just simply think aside from the paper itself, his wet shirt, the sweats,  and... okay and  Baekhyun.

Kai sighs at the thought, It has been four days since their napped date. Kai hasn’t heard anything from him, strangely they didn’t run to each other in some rondom places like they always did. Glancing at the phone lying quitely in front of him, then glances around again, but when there are no signs of figure he was looking for he returns his eyes back to the phone. He had tried to contact Baekhyun, but he directly connected to the voice mail. He also left a message or two, but Baekhyun yet to respond to it. Then he didn’t try again, if Baekhyun want to talk to him, he will contact him, if not, then he’s not ready to talk to him or doesn’t want talk to him to or what! But the thing is he wants to hear from him so badly.

He sighs for the second time today, dialing Baekhyun’s number, he just wanted to try again, who knows Baekhyun’s finally ready to talk to him, thats it.

‘Hello,’ came a muffles voise,

It save to say Kai was shocked, he didn’t expect Baekhyun will pick the call on the first ring. “Oh hi hello...it’s –it’s me Kai.”

‘Ah, what’s up, Kai?’

Just wants to make sure he's okay. Thats it! “How are you?”

‘i’m good, how are you?’

Kai smiles in between relief, anxious and happy “I was looking for you,”

‘Why??’

“I just –I don’t know, we didn’t run to each other, thats strange...”

‘i’m fine.’

he was fine, now what? “That’s great,” he said, there is one more thing that hunt him, but he’s not sure if this will end up nicely if he really talk it out. But he needed something to talk about, he still wants to talk to Baekhyun. “Baekhyun, about last time when you –,”

“Yeah, I’m so sorry, i just left like that.”

He’s relieve Baekhyun cut his question, but it doesn’t give him the satisfaction of his haunting curiosity, so he try to ask more, “did you– did you go because someone needs you?”

‘Uhh yeah, kind of.’

Kai exhales quietly, relief knowing Baekhyun’s stil lon the line with him.

“Is this someone is your boyfriend?” there’s a voice on the back of his head, telling him that he’s going too far, too fast, too deep into someone bussiness, but regrets always comes too late, the words were already out from his mouth and now he is praying Baekhyun wouldn’t hung up.

There a small pause where Kai hold his breath and fidgeting in his place, then there was a muffled voice and he knew that Baekhyun didn’t hung up yet.

‘No, i told you before, i have no boyfriend.’

“Great! I mean –no, I mean –well single is great too, you know, you’re freeto do stuff and all. And beside if you want to hang out, you have me.” Kai hears a chuckled from the other line before he realises what he's just rants about, he quickly reopen his mouth and says, “Or your other friends.”

‘Hey, i’m not that pathetic, am i?’

“Oh no, you’re not pathetic at all, you’re great.” Baekhyun chuckled again and Kai breathes more and more sighs of relief. He always knew that a laughing Baekhyun is still his favorite. “Baekhyun?”

‘Yes?’

“Care to tell me?”

‘tell you what?’

“About yesterday when you... You just kind of left me there. I was worried that something bad happened to you. Because you seem confused, anxious, and a little gone, I was this close to shake your shoulders so that you come back to me, and I actually death curious about it. that’s only if you want to tell me”

‘I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you worry.’

“it’s okay, I know you’re okay now and he is not your boyfriend anyway,”  Kai says jokingly, but he really did happy Baekhyun is single.“so..., Baekhyun, You want to talk about it?”

‘uh well, we can talk at lunch? at the cafeteria? It’s that okay?’

“Of course, of course thats great, i’ll definetely be there. It’s today, right?‘’

‘no no, I didn’t go to class today, maybe tomorrow or the day after.’

Kai unconsciously pout, just a tiny pout though because he is happy to meet with Baekhyun, but he had to wait at least one more day or two at the most. Well, it is better than nothing at all.

 

 

 

 

 

The world took two days before he finally met Baekhyun. When he entered the cafeteria that day, Baekhyun is already there, reading something that looks like a bulletin. Kai knew he forgets something when his feet hastily took him to where Baekhyun is, but he can’t bring his mind to care. Six days for crying out loud. Six days he didn’t meet Baekhyun at all.

“Baekhyun! Hi...” Kai greeted a little too loud for a quiet cafeteria

Baekhyun looks a little plesantly startled by his presence, the bulletin slips from his hand. “Kai, why you always doing that!” Baekhyun whines, bending down to pick up his bulletin. Somehow. This makes him happy, startling Baekhyun. It’s like their routine. “You have to give me a sign of your presences, five years ahead i would have a heart attack, if you keep on doing this.”

He ignores Baekhyuns protests and let himself slided in to the chair in front of Baekhyun, grinnig so wide, his cheeks hurt.

“I’ll try. But you have to try to stop zoning out. It’s worrying...”

“Shut up! I was reading a bulletin.” Baekhyun says, holding his bulletin up to Kai’s face, the latter just grins some more.

“Where’s your food?” Baekhyun asks when he realizes Kai didn’t have any food or drink in front of him.

Oh right. Now he knows what he had forgotten, he came to the cafeteria to obviously eat. He turns on his brain, trying to find a reason which is quite reasonable on why he forgot to bring his food . “I uh.., I got tired with the food here, I need a new taste.”

“Then why did you agree to meet here?” Kai didn’t think of an answer to that question, so he just fix his posisition and grins again.Baekhyun shakes his head,“ If you want, you can come to my house and eat something from my mother cooking.”

“Really??” Kai was stuned and bewildered. Kai had never been to Baekhyuns house before, he never had the chance. Baekhyun always refused his offers to drive him home, and now he just offer him to eat his mother cooking at his house! What a day to live....

Baekhyun simply nodded, “My mother always had this habit, cooks too much food when there's only me and her in the house. I'm sure she would be happy if I bring someone to help us finish her cooking.”

“I'll definitely want to go to your house and eat all your food!” Kai said, claping his hands on the table. “but are they delicious? Non- poisonous, right?” he says jokingly just to cover up his excitement.

“As long as I can remember, all my mother's cooking is pretty edible and healthy.”

“I’ll take that as a good thing!”

They fell in a small silent after that, Kai actually want to asks him about so many things. But he didn’t want to make Baekhyun uncomfortable, he didn’t want to make Baekhyun freak out and then decide to leave him again. Kai didn’t want to become an insensitive friend for asking such a stupid or wrong question to Baekhyun. He was very sure he will not like it.

“So...” Kai hesitantly said, trying to break the silence

“Ah, about that humm... where should i start?” Baekhyun responds, “there is this someone, his name is Luhan and he is the one who called me that day. it’s maybe sound stupid to you but he called me because he is sick, he caught a fever i guess,” Baekhyun drew a smile, remembering how childish Luhan can be when he’s sick. That smile doesn’t go unoticed by Kai. “it’s just a fever but trust me, he can’t do anything by himself when it hit him, he will just lying under piles of thick blankets and shivering, that’s why he needed someone to take care of him. Luhan is child-like when he’s sick.”

Kai remains silent as the other man stop talking, he inhales deeply as he watches Baekhyuns eyeing him, “You love him?” he mumbles softly.

“Hmm?”

“You love Luhan, don’t you? You look happy when you talk about him.”

Now is Baekhyun turn to inhales, grasping the bulletin tighter. “I loved Luhan..., but everything is different now, we broke up about umm... seven months ago, more or less. He is with someone else now.”

“What happen?”

Baekhyun blinks a few times and Kai almost regretted opening his mouth, it’s just like a train, he can’t bring himself to stop asking.

“I don’t know what had happened but...” he paused, blinking again, “but it was mutual, someone said to me Luhan wants me to be happy, happier and actually Luhan said the same thing to me. But it just doesn’t feels right, how do you expect someone to be happy by ending your relationship?”

There’s an awkward pause before Kai finally realise he should be responding , “I’m sorry.”

Kai really mean it, he really is sorry. Because Baekhyun is smiling but the smile didn’t reach his eyes and it’s dimmed.

“It’s not your fault, so no need to apologize. Beside we’re good now.”

Kai wants to say something, maybe something to comfort Baekhyun or something sweet but he didn’t know what would make Baekhyun feel better. So he closes his mouth again and stares at his hands on the table instead.

He feels pathetic, really. He is not sure how to react or responds. A small part of him wants to comfort him (or even hug him)  and the other part  of him also feels a little unsure, Baekhyun loves or loved Luhan, Kai wasn't sure. His stomach threatens to flip at the thought and its feels empty.

Kai suddenly is pulled back into reality when Baekhyun put something in his hands that he'd been stared at. Mars Bar? Kai an eyebrow and Baekhyun smiles, “my mom gave me two mars bar today Because he like the chubby version of me, but i think i love sharing more.”

Kai takes the bar fully in his hand and leans down closer, he lock his eyes with Baekhyun, “are you trying to impress me with a bar?”

Baekhyun leans his body forward until their forehead almost thouching, almost. And Kai swear his stomach really doing a major flip this time.

“Maybe I am,” Baekhyun casually answers, biting his own bar and laughs.