Ten

Behind those Closed Doors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lu:

 

“One set of piping hot soya bean curd with fried dough fritters!” I said as I rushed into the ward.

 

It was hell getting this bowl of white bean curd. The queue, the noisy market, the squeeze. The- Oh, her smile, her smile is heaven. This bean curd is heaven. It’s a joy to get this bean curd.

 

“Lu,” A voice snapped me out of this entire inferno within myself.

 

“Oh yes my dearest most honourable wife?” I gave her my million dollar grin.

 

“Are you intending to give me my bowl of bean curd?” She said in a small voice, obviously weak from the chemo.

 

“Oh. Yes yes!” I said. “And a dough fritter!” I waved it excitedly in front of her.

 

“I’m not allowed to eat that..” She said softly, hoping that it would still land in her stomach anyway.

 

My eyes reached hers instantly as our face was dangerously close.

 

“I know,” I said with a hushed yet serious tone.

 

Her eyes flashed with expectancy and excitement.

 

“For me.” I said, chewing my first bite.

 

“I hate you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

 

 

“Oh, the doc says I’m fine enough to return home next week. My last set of chemo ended this morning.” She said.

 

I looked at her, as I immediately went by her side and hugged her.

 

“ARE YOU FOR REAL?” I shouted as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter