Half Way to a Decade

Her Little Princess

A/N: It's like 2300+ words hehhee i'm proud of myself for writing this much. kid!jeti was so fun to write so i hope u guys will have the same fun reading this as well. 

Happy birthday to my dearest Pink Princess Fany Fany Tiffany!~ <3

comment, upvote, subscribe, spread the love~


 

It was the morning of August 1st and Tiffany woke up extra early with a wide giddy grin growing on her face as soon as her eyes opened. Finally, it had arrived, the day she has been waiting for the whole past year. Tiffany was finally five!

The little girl scrambled up to her feet from where she was sleeping on the mattress on the floor, skipped over to their window, and clambered up onto the chair near the wall. With the curtains wide open, the glowing golden rays from the sunrise shone into their small room, the sky was clear blue, a prospect of a great day, and birds were already beginning to take flight, twittering chirpily to each other.

“The sky’s awake, so I’m awake!” Tiffany exclaimed loudly to herself, copying the cartoon she watched the day before while giggling, and swung her arms around in a big circle. “Good morning, world! I’m five today!”

A bird landed on the windowsill on the other side of the glass and chirped back to the girl. Tiffany looked at it, wide-eyed, before giggling joyfully again.

Feeling like one of those Disney princess that had animal friends, she waved back to the little bird and blew a kiss to it.

“Bye bye, little birdy!”

Then, she jumped down back off the tall chair, immediately running towards the door when her feet landed on the ground. The thumping of small footsteps could be heard growing louder and louder from the kitchen as Tiffany came speeding down the short hallway to where she knew her mother would be cooking breakfast for her and the Jung family. Mrs. Hwang smiled, hearing the sounds of her daughter waking up, and prepared to greet her precious Tiffany.

“Umma!” Tiffany called loudly upon seeing her mother turning away from the stove and opening up her arms, ready to catch her. She flung herself at Mrs. Hwang, giggling and wiggling excitedly, as she wrapped her arms and legs tightly around the older woman.

“Good morning!”

Tiffany placed a big kiss on her mother’s cheek and was returned a loving peck on her forehead.

“Happy birthday, sweetie.”

“I’m FIVE today! Right, umma?” Tiffany asked enthusiastically, spreading out her five short fingers on one hand and showing to her mother.

“You’re already half a decade old!” Mrs. Hwang told her with the same level of joy.

Tiffany was securely placed on the marble counter, watching her mother go back to her work, but she couldn’t just sit still and quietly like how her mother would usually ask her to.

“Umma, what’s a decade?”

“It’s 10 years, honey.”

“10 years? A decade is 10 years!” Tiffany exclaimed her new knowledge in wonder, playing around with the numbers and her fingers. “Five plus five is ten, so I’ll be 10 years old in five years! Five is half of 10 so I am now half a decade old!”

Mrs. Hwang proudly looked over her shoulder to see her little daughter raising her left hand to her.

“Umma, high five!” Tiffany demanded and bounced in her seat slightly.

“High five!” Mrs. Hwang played along, which made her little girl laugh with glee, both of the Hwang’s eyes curving into pretty crescents. “Aigoo, my little Miyoungie is so smart!”

Patting her daughter’s head adoringly, Mrs. Hwang awarded the child with the small strawberry pancake she had made especially for Tiffany.

“Now Miyoung-ah, why don’t you go wake up your Sooyeon-unnie? And then Master Jung said we can have breakfast with them today.”

“It’s JE-SI-CA-unnie, umma,” Tiffany corrected her mother with a cute stern look but then took off running again with an eager squeal, this time up the stairs, as soon as her mother put her back down on the floor.

Mrs. Hwang looked at her daughter go, chuckling lightly to herself; she didn’t even bother warning her to be careful when climbing the stairs this time because she knew her little ball of energy couldn’t be contained. Her mind slightly worried how the morning sleepyhead little Jung would handle her extra-hyped daughter this morning, but she was reassured when she remembered those soft smiles and those gentle eyes with which Sooyeon always looked at Miyoung.

Tiffany was up on the second floor in record time and was already standing in front of the door to the older girl’s room. It reminded her of the first time she came to this big house and met her unnie. It has been over a year since that day but she felt like she has known her Jessica-unnie all her life and she had already made many new friends in her preschool. For a girl who was only five, of course one year seems like a long time, but for Tiffany, this day couldn’t have came sooner.

With no hesitation, unlike before, she opened the door that was unlocked as expected and sprinted full speed toward Jessica’s bed. She took a big leap and jumped onto it, aim perfected by experience, and landed right on top of her target.

“Unnie, unnie, wake up, wake up!” She sat down on the sleeping girl’s stomach and shook her shoulders roughly.

However, the Jung didn’t even budge from her dreamland.

“Unnie! Jessica-unnie!” Tiffany called again with a slight whine in her voice, now patting and pulling on the older girl’s stretchy cheeks.

Once again her attempts were futile as Jessica only shifted but didn’t wake up. Tiffany sat up straight with an unsatisfied ‘hmph’, crossing her arms. The cogs in her mind were turning to find new methods to wake up the sleeping beauty, and then she remembered a way. Princess Aurora had woken up when her prince kissed her!

Determined, Tiffany replaced her palms on Jessica’s cheeks to hold her stationary and swooped down, pressing her lips firmly against the older girl’s. They remained still in the position for a few seconds before Jessica choked on her breath and her eyes burst open, wide-awake. Tiffany fell down onto her side as Jessica frantically sat up against her headboard, a hand pressed against in shock.

“Wha—what were you doing?!” The older girl winced when she stuttered over her words and raised an eyebrow in confusion when Tiffany just sat there in front of her with a big innocent grin. She had thought she was being kissed by a prince in her dream, but it turned out it was just Tiffany, though the reality didn’t disappoint her as it surprised her.

“Waking you up, unnie. Good morning!”

“Uhh, morning? But why did you kiss me?”

Tiffany tilted her head with a pout, confused at why it was such a big deal. “Because Sleeping Beauty woke up when her prince did that.”

Jessica sighed when she realized the younger girl didn’t understand the possible consequences and meanings behind her actions. Being the older one by five years, she knew a little more about these things, about ‘love’, than little Tiffany did.

“You’re not supposed to go around kissing people on the lips, Tiffany,” Jessica explained calmly, bringing the girl to sit on her lap. “You’re only supposed to kiss the people you love like that.”

“But I love you!” Tiffany pouted even more, her eyes turning sad. “Don’t you love me?”

“Nono, I do! Not like that. Not love in that way. Love like a boy loves a girl. Like boyfriend girlfriend love…” Jessica trailed off uncertainly when she didn’t know how to continue explaining.

“Oh…” Tiffany said and Jessica perked up, thinking that the younger girl had understood her. “Then I’ll just love you like that and you can love me too so that I can kiss you again! It felt very good!”

“EK! No, Tiff! You already took away my first kiss just now. You’re not having another one!” Jessica had to quickly grab the back of the younger girl’s head and pushed it, forcefully yet gently, into the crook of her neck in order to avoid the advance of the puckered lips towards her own. “Why are you so energetic this morning anyways?”

Tiffany stilled and then wiggled out of Jessica’s arms, remembering her original excitement again.

“Unnie, it’s my birthday! I’m half a decade old!” She proudly told her unnie, holding out her five fingers again in Jessica’s face.

“Yeah, I know,” Jessica chuckled and pulled Tiffany closer to her again, softly kissing the tip of her nose. “Happy birthday, Tiff.”

“Thank you~ Oh unnie, unnie!”

“Yeah?”

“How do you say five in English?”

“F-I-V-E. Five.”

“Five!” Tiffany repeated and Jessica nodded when she was correct. “What about ten?”

“T-E-N. Ten.”

“Ten! So in FIVE years, I’ll be TEN. I’ll be the same age as you, unnie!” Tiffany declared, sitting on top of the older girl again and wrapping her arms around Jessica’s shoulders.

“No, Tiff. I’ll be fifteen when you’re ten because right now, I’m ten and you’re five.” Jessica stopped for a while to let the child think through it. “So five plus five is…”

“TEN!” Jessica chuckled at the childish enthusiasm and gave her a kiss on her left cheek.

“And ten plus five is…”

“FIFTEEN!”

“Yes!” Tiffany’s proud grin grew when Jessica awarded her with another kiss on the right cheek.

“Unnie?”

“Yes, Tiff?”

“If you say I can’t kiss you, why do you keep kissing me?”

“I said no kissing on the lips, Tiff. Why? You don’t like me kissing you?”

“No, of course not!” Tiffany immediately shook her hand and waved her hands in strong denial. “Then Jessi-unnie, if not on the lips, I can kiss you too?”

“Of course!”

Tiffany had already placed a big sloppy kiss on Jessica’s cheek before the Jung even finished her word, and now she was sliding down the side of the bed, pulling the older girl along by her hands.

“Come on now, unnie! Umma cooked us strawberry pancakes. Uncle Jung said we could eat with you so hurry up and let’s go eat breakfast!” Tiffany bounded across the room and headed back down, shouting to Jessica over her shoulder. “I’ll meet you downstairs. Hurry up!”

Jessica sat on her bed and watched the little girl run around the house excitedly; the birthday girl was just too adorable.

``

Tiffany couldn’t sit still in her seat all day, knowing that back at home a party awaits her and her friends’ arrival. Usually she would be a very good girl, a passionate and enthusiastic little student, a teacher’s pet from the young age. However, today, nothing that the teacher said registered in her excited mind. With a bright beam illuminating her round cute face, Tiffany stared absentmindedly at the paper on her desk, her thoughts wandering elsewhere.

“Miyoung-ah!”

Tiffany started away and straightened her back immediately. “Ne, Teacher!”

“Why haven’t you started on your worksheet?” Her kindergarten teacher asked, stern yet concerned. “Do you need any help?”

“I’m sorry! I’ll do it right away!” Tiffany guiltily pouted but followed instructions like the good girl she was. Her smile once again grew bigger with each math problem she easily solved, thanks to her Jessica’s unnie extra help at home every weekend.

The day seemed to pass slower than usual but eventually the bell rang, signifying the end of the school day. Little Tiffany was of course the first one in line, all packed up and ready to leave. Behind her stood her best friend, Taeyeon, and three more little friends, Sooyoung, Seohyun, and Yoona, who were also excited to be going over to Tiffany’s house for the first time and to have more of the delicious food that Mrs. Hwang always makes.

“Girls, I will see you at 5 okay? Don’t be late and dress in pretty pink!”

Yes, of course the color theme of Tiffany’s party was pink. Our little pink princess was simply ecstatic thinking about being surrounded by her favorite color, favorite foods, favorite people for the night.

‘It’s going to be the best birthday ever!’ She thought as the school bus dropped her off in front of the Jung’s big house.

It was now 2 p.m., only three more hours till the start of her party. Upon entering the house, Tiffany was amazed by all the decorations that her mother and the other maids have put up in the living and dining room. The walls were covered with pink and yellow ribbons with a big “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” sign hung up above the television set, the tables and counters were laden were freshly-made delicious-looking food, and Mrs. Hwang greeted her daughter with a big grin and a new pink frilly dress in her hands.

“Welcome back, Miyoungie.”

“Hello, umma!” Tiffany tiptoed to kiss her mother, who had crouched down to be at her eye level, on both cheeks. “Is that pretty dress for me?”

The little girl gasped in delight and squealed when the older Hwang nodded.

“Yes darling. Master Jung got it for you as a birthday present. Do you like it?”

“Imm imm imm! I love it umma!”

“Why don’t we go wash up and then you can wear this beautiful dress? Also, don’t forget to thank him okay, not only for this present but also for letting you hold this party?”

“Ne, umma!” Tiffany nodded obediently and walked to their room downstairs with her hand holding tightly onto her mother’s. “Master Jung is so nice! I like him very much. I wish he could be my father.”

She failed to notice Mrs. Hwang smiling sadly at her as she continued skipping down the hallway in her happy childish innocence.

``

Soon, the clock struck 5 and Tiffany’s friends began arriving at the Jung residence one by one, dropped off by their parents. Mr. Jung had returned from work early for the party he had organized and he now stood with Mrs. Hwang by the birthday girl at the door, welcoming the little ones as they entered the big house with wide eyes when they saw all the pretty decorations and girly squeals when they finally laid eyes on their friend and the food prepared on the tables. Cone Disney-themed party hats were placed on their heads by the two adults while the children sat on the rug around the table in the living room, on which a five layered pink birthday cake was placed. The cake, specially baked by Mrs. Hwang, was decorated with small drawings of all the objects that Tiffany likes and five glowing candles were lit on top. Fruit punch had been passed around in pink paper cups and the children were all busy munching on the delicious kimbab, brownies, and cookies that Mrs. Hwang had made. As requested by Tiffany, everyone—even Mr.Jung had on a pink tie— was wearing the birthday girl’s favorite color. It seemed like the living and dining room had been swept by a pink tsunami but the two adults could only look at each other and smile upon seeing how adorable all the little girls looked in her pink dresses and how happy Tiffany was, standing in between the two of them and clapping along as her friends sang her the birthday song.

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Miyoungie—”

“Happy birthday dear Tiffany, happy birthday to you.”

A smoother and more feminine voice interjected in the middle of the song. The girls stopped singing, staring at the newcomer in awe. Tiffany gasped and turned around upon hearing the familiar voice that sometimes sings her lullabies to sleep.

“Jessi-unnie!” With a happy shriek, the younger girl launched herself at the taller girl who readily caught and hugged her.

“Happy birthday again, Tiffany.”

Jessica placed her back on her feet, patting her head adoringly, and looked up when she left a dozen little eyes staring at her. Tiffany’s friends had their attention trained on the older girl, never having seen her before and amazed by her melodious singing voice. Tiffany frowned a bit when she realized that everyone was now focused on Jessica. It wasn’t that she was jealous, but rather, Tiffany didn’t like it that all her friends were that interested in the older girl; in the birthday girl’s mind, Jessi-unnie was hers!

“Unnie, I have to blow out the candles and cut the cake now!” Tiffany tugged on Jessica’s hand and said with a pout.

Jessica chuckled, thinking that the young girl was annoyed because she stole her friends’ attention from her. Moving around the couch to sit between the two adults, she carried Tiffany to make her sit on her lap.

“Remember to make a wish!”

Tiffany put her hands together and closed her eyes tight.

‘I wish I can live happily ever after with Umma, Master Jung, and Jessi-unnie.’

Everyone clapped again when Tiffany blew out the five candles in one big breath. The cheers grew even louder when the cake was finally cut, the knife held by the five-year old whose hand was guided by the ten-year old’s. Mrs. Hwang took over from then on and went back into the kitchen to get more drinks. Mr. Jung decided to go back to his room to rest after placing a kiss on both of his girl’s foreheads and giving Mrs. Hwang a pat on her shoulder.

Jessica stood up as well. Tiffany immediately turned to her, her cake forgotten.

“Unnie, where are you going?”

 “I have homework to do...” Jessica smiled apologetically and patted the younger girl’s head.

Tiffany knew she shouldn’t try to make her unnie stay with her so she just nodded, a little dejected. Jessica’s hand patted her head one last time before holding onto her chin, making her look up. With a tissue, the older girl wiped away the cream around Tiffany’s mouth with a chuckle.

“I’ll see you later tonight, okay?” Jessica said with wink and mysterious smile that Tiffany caught.

“Okay, unnie!” Tiffany tried to wink back, failing cutely.

Jessica laughed and gave a kiss on Tiffany’s forehead. She noticed a pair of eyes looking at her the whole time from the side; the short little girl’s unwavering stare made her uncomfortable for some reason but she forced the discomfort to the back of her mind and left after giving her a tight smile. Tiffany, of course, was aware of the short interaction. Frowning, she turned to her best friend and held the round face with both hands.

“What?” Taeyeon asked, cheeks being squished.

“Taeyeon…” Tiffany almost growled.

“Who is she?”

“Jessica-unnie.”

Taeyeon’s grin grew bigger as Tiffany’s eyebrows tilted steeper.

“She’s very pretty. Can I marry her?”

“NO!” Tiffany’s eyes began to water and lips began to tremble in an attempt to not cry. “She’s MINE!”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew big at the sudden exclamations. “Okay, okay. I’m sorry. Don’t cry Miyoungie. You can have her.”

The slightly shorter and older girl hugged her best friend and rubbed her back soothingly. Tiffany sniffled but rested her head on the offered shoulder.

“Just give me Sunny-unnie then!”

“Yah! She’s my cousin!” Tiffany slapped Taeyeon’s arm, pulling away from the hug.

“You can’t have everyone!”

“Well, I can because today is my birthday!”

“Fine, just today. Starting from tomorrow, Sunny-unnie is mine! She said I was cuter than you.”

“That’s only because both of you are short. No.” Tiffany pouted again, knowing that she looks cute when she does the expression and that Taeyeon hates it when she looks cute.

“Then I’ll have Jessica-unnie.” Taeyeon shut her eyes tight and stuck out her tongue at the pouting girl.

“No!” Tiffany crossed her arms and pouted even more, considering the options. “Fine, you can have Sunny-unnie but Jessi-unnie is MINE!”

“I only wanted Sunny-unnie from the start anyways,” Taeyeon snickered and pranced away from the confused and tricked girl.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon!” Tiffany ran after her best friend, the two ended up in a tackle filled with squeals and laughter.

On the staircase, hidden in the shadows, listening to the bickering of the two cute children was Jessica. She chuckled to herself, feeling slightly proud of her Hwang, and finally went up to her room.

All was well.

``

The party had ended at 7. The minute hand of the clock was now nearing 8 p.m., almost Tiffany’s bedtime. The little birthday girl could also not wait to sleep, after such a long day of excitement, fun, and happiness, but there was something that she had to do.

Trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to rouse her mother or Master Jung, Tiffany tiptoed up the stairs to the second floor. Silently, she padded down the carpeted hallway until she reached the familiar closed door. A soft yellow light spilled out from under the wooden door, illuminating the tip of Tiffany’s toes in a golden glow. Jessica’s table lamp was still , but Tiffany knew that the older girl sometimes slept with the light on if she thought she might have nightmares again that night. Not wanting to disturb anyone’s sleep, Tiffany threaded to and fro in front of her destination indecisively.

On the other side of the door, Jessica was chuckling to herself again. She could hear the soft footsteps of the younger girl walking around in front of her room and the little grunts and whines Tiffany was making as she thought and thought through her decisions. After listening to the rhythmic thumping for about five minutes and when the red LED lights on her digital clock showed 8:00, Jessica got up from her bed and stopped at her closed door.

“Tiffany, isn’t it your bedtime already?”

A tiny muffled squeak could be heard as Tiffany almost jumped out of her skin at the sudden voice.

“Jesshi-un-unnie! I—aauhhh—you…” The younger girl stuttered, frozen guiltily on the spot, eyes darting back and forth down the hallway to see if any adults had also caught her.

The closed door finally creaked open; Jessica stuck out her head to invite her friend in with a teasing grin. The two girls walked back hand-in-hand to the big soft bed and sat on the edge, smiling at each other, giddy with the thrill of sneaking behind the adult’s backs and of being together.

“Happy birthday again, Tiff.” Jessica said in English.

“Thank you, Jessi-unnie.” Tiffany replied in the like, her eyes and lips curving into pretty crescents.

“Wait,” Jessica commanded and jumped off the bed to take out something from her schoolbag. “Here, I got something for you.”

Tiffany’s eyes twinkled at the sight of a pretty pink paper bead necklace in Jessica’s outstretched hands.

“I made it by myself… Do you like it?”

Jessica watched Tiffany take the necklace from her and run her fingers over each carefully crafted bead, proud yet nervous.

“Like it? I love it! Thank you so much, unnie!” With that, Tiffany also slid off the bed, right into Jessica’s waiting arms, happily holding onto each other.

Jessica took the necklace again and fastened it around the younger girl’s neck.

“It’s made of paper so you have to be careful with it, okay? I’m glad you like my present, but later on, I promise I will get you something better. Oh and inside each bead, there are messages that I wrote for you.”

Tiffany’s eyes grew wider in fondness and wonder as she listened, her fingers still playing with the necklace which was a little big on her – but still perfect, she decided.

“Do not open the beads. Let’s read the messages together when you turn 50 years old.”

“Fifty? That’s a long time!” Tiffany gasped.

Jessica pouted at the response. “Why? You don’t want to be with me that long?”

“Of course I do, unnie!” Tiffany immediately replied, hugging the older girl. “So Jessi-unnie, when I am 50 years old, will you still be with me?

Jessica wrapped her arms around Tiffany and rest her head on top of the latter’s. “Of course, my little princess.”

“Will I still be your little princess?”

A soft kiss was pressed against Tiffany’s cheek and then on her forehead and a promise was whispered.

“Always.”

 

~~

Later on in the night, when Tiffany was lying next to Jessica on Jessica’s bed…

“Jessi-unnie?”

“Hmm?”

“So when we grow older and we become girlfriends, will you kiss me on the lips again?”

“WHhhaa—I mean, what g-girlfriends?”

“I love you and you love me, so won’t you be my girlfriend when we grow up? I want to marry you, unnie!”

“Oh, Tiff… Just go to sleep now, okay? The future awaits for you tomorrow.”

“But unnie!”

“Sleep Tiff! Or you won’t be getting ANY more kisses from me from now on.”

“…Okay…”

“Good girl.”

“Good night, unnie. I love you.”

“Good night, princess. I love you too.”

Tiffany giggled and slowly fell asleep, snuggled and loved, in Jessica’s arms.