An Innocent Bonding

Her Little Princess

Jessica can still remember the first time she met Tiffany (or Miyoung as she was called back then). She had just arrived back home from school, clinging onto her father’s arm as she skipped through their large living room. She was about to go upstairs to check on her mother as she does every day when her father stopped walking.

“What’s wrong, daddy?” She had asked.

“Come with me for a second. I have something to show you.”

Her father led her towards the kitchen by the hand from where the delicious aroma of fresh baked cookies made by her nanny wafted toward them. Upon their appearance at the entrance, all the people in the room stopped their activities to bow politely to them. Mr. Jung dismissed them with a slight nod of head and turned his attention to the woman standing in front of the oven.

“Aunt Hwang! Are those for me?” Jessica released her father’s arm and ran towards her nanny to give her a hug.

“Of course, darling.” The woman bent down to wrap her arms around the girl with a smile full of love. “How was your day at school?”

Jessica was about to answer her when something distracted her… specifically, a someone. It was little girl who was hiding behind Mrs. Hwang’s legs, clutching tightly onto the woman’s long skirt and peering out at her shyly.

Jessica took a step back and observed the girl with narrowed eyes.

“Who is she?” The question directed at Mrs. Hwang carried a tone not normally found in the speech of an eight year old; it was measured, indifferent, and held a hint of authority.

“She is Hwang Miyoung.” Her father answered, placing a hand on her shoulder and giving her a disapproving look for speaking as she did.

“She’s my little girl.” The girl was brought forward by Mrs. Hwang, but she continued hugging her mother’s leg while staring at Jessica with big round curious eyes. “She’s a little shy around new people, but she’s real sweet once you get to know her.”

Jessica observed the way her nanny looked at her daughter, and felt a strong emotion rise up in her. Her eyes began to sting with the tears that began to fill up and she clenched her hands tightly into fists. She would not cry in front of someone younger than her. She felt angry and confused at her own reaction. What she didn’t know then was that she was jealous.

“Unnie, are you ok?” Miyoung slowly asked all of a sudden when she noticed the way the latter was glaring at her.

Jessica averted her eyes and headed back towards the stairs. She walked as fast as her little legs would allow her to and locked herself in her bedroom, forgetting all about her routine of visiting her mother. Back in the kitchen, Mr. Jung and Mrs. Hwang looked at each other, confused at what just happened.

“Umma?” Miyoung tugged on her mother’s skirt. Her bottom lip was trembling as she was also about to cry. Her mother had told her to behave and act like a lady towards the boss’s daughter but she had just made her cry. “Did I do something wrong?”

Mr. Jung shook his head and ruffled the little girl’s hair affectionately. “No. Jessica’s just tired. And she’s not used to meeting new people too.”

At that moment, the oven’s light went out with a ding, signaling that the cookies are ready. Mrs. Hwang took them out carefully and placed them onto a plastic plate. Glancing at Mr. Jung for approval, she handed the plate to her daughter.

“Miyoung-ah, why don’t you take this snack to Jessica? She must be hungry.” She gave the girl a little push from the back and smiled encouragingly. “Go play with her while umma makes dinner. Maybe she will even show you her Barbies and share the cookies with you if you ask.”

Miyoung slowly headed towards Jessica’s room, glancing back at her mother every few steps. She climbed the stairs step by step and took a deep breath when she got to the top. Bringing herself up like a little lady she was told to be, she confidently approached the pink door down the hallway that said “Jung Sooyeon” in Korean and a bunch of English letters that she didn’t understand.

Balancing the plate of cookies in one hand and knocking on the wood with another, she waited for a few seconds before calling out to the girl. “Unnie, can I come in? I’ve got cookies.”

Jessica looked up from the storybook she was reading at the knocking and got up from the bed. She didn’t want to open the door but at the same time, her stomach growled in hunger.

“Jessica-unnie?” The girl outside called again, knocking longer and louder.

Jessica decided to answer the door before she ends up hurting her hand and she poked her head out, a scowl ready on her face.

“What do you want?” She asked coldly.

“Do you want some cookies?” Miyoung asked her back, smiling widely and seemingly unaffected by the coldness of the latter’s tone.

“Give me the plate.” Jessica tried to reach for the cookies but Miyoung moved out of reach.

“Can I come in?” The smile on her face grew even wider while Jessica’s frown deepened. “Umma said you have Barbies. Can I see them?”

“No. Just give me the cookies and go away.”

“No. Not unless you show me your Barbies.”

Jessica couldn’t believe the girl standing in front of her… she was so different from the little girl hiding behind her mother’s legs some minutes ago. She was going to retort when her stomach growled again. Miyoung giggled while Jessica blushed in embarrassment. The smell of the cookies grew stronger as the younger girl walked closer again.

“Fine. But you can only look at them. No touching.” Jessica gave in and opened the door wider. “Now give me the cookies.”

Miyoung deposited the plate in the elder’s waiting hands and immediately hurried towards the plastic dolls lined up on the wooden shelf on the other side of the room.

“You have a lot!” Her eyes glittered in excitement as she studied each Barbie carefully.

“I kno—” Jessica interrupted her own words and nearly dropped the cookie when she saw Miyoung reaching for a doll. “HEY! I said no touching!”

But Miyoung already grabbed the Barbie off the shelf.

“Why? Can’t I play with them?” She took hold of a second one. “Let’s play together!”

“YAH! That’s my favorite! Don’t touch her!” Jessica rushed over and snatched it out of Miyoung’s hand.

Normally this kind of action would make a child cry, but Miyoung was not like other children (as Jessica found out later). So she continued smiling, impassive to the latter’s anger.

“OK then. You can be her. I’ll be this Barbie.” She shook the doll in front of her face. “What’s her name?”

Jessica stared at her without replying, considering whether to play with her or continue being stubborn.

“What’s her name?” Miyoung asked again, fixing the little tiara on top of the doll’s head.

“Tiffany.” Jessica answered. “Princess Tiffany.”

Miyoung’s smile grew until her eyes turned into little crescents. “Alright, I’m Princess Tiffany.”

She pulled Jessica towards the dollhouse by her hand and sat down happily. Throughout the whole time they were playing, Miyoung’s eyesmile never disappeared and after a while, Jessica’s lips began to itch to curve upwards too.

“Jessica-unnie?”

“Yes, Miyoungie?”

“Princess Tiffany wants you to smile.”

That little demand of six words, a simple request, was the start of their relationship… the friendship and the journey of love of the two girls.

“Ok…” Jessica opened up into an easy yet genuine smile. “My little princess.”

 

 

 

 

A/N: hey guys! if you have subscribed to my collection of Tales that Never Came to Be, then you would have read this before. I just cut and pasted it hehe. but! BUT! tomorrow, I'll be back with a new addition for our Pink Princess Fany Fany Tiffany's bday ^^

so plz wait for it!

till laterz

comment, upvote, subscribe, spread the love!~