Ways of being a Jung

Her Little Princess

A/N: time to screw some things up moohahahahaha. nearly 2400 words. in one sitting. enjoy :)

i wasn't going to continue this but the idea came to my mind. plz don't ask me to update soon because for now, i have no plan to write more yet (cuz im planning to finish up Letters to Jessi first). I will though if inspiration strikes, so comment a lot and motivate me okay?

comment, upvote, subscribe, spread the love!~


 

 

It was seldom that her father asked her to come downstairs before dinnertime; Jessica was clearly not amused that her daily two-hour naptime was disturbed by the sudden “family meeting” that the oldest Jung randomly called.

So much for a family meeting, she thought when she saw Mr. Jung sitting alone on the sofa in their living room, reading the current week’s issue of the Economist. Why would you need a “family meeting” when it’s just him and me?

Her mood became even more irked when her father simply regarded her arrival with a curt “sit down” and continued to read his magazine, not even talking to her. Jessica took her usual place on the other couch opposite of him, crossed her arms, and sulked, staring holes into the face of the man on the cover of the Economist. There was so much that she should be doing now that she’s a middleschooler (with real homework and projects, unlike those easygoing elementary kids) but no, she was stuck here, sitting and doing nothing while waiting for her father to finish reading his article. Her temper was getting shorter with each passing minute but just when her fuse was about to blow, her favorite call sounded from behind her.

“Jessi-unnie!”

Little Tiffany came skipping over to the older Jung, a big grin on her face as usual and pigtails bouncing behind her. The entrance of the little ball of energy and smiles lit up the atmosphere, eradicating the glower off Jessica’s face.

“Hey, Tiff.” She smiled warmly at her as she let the little girl climb up to sit on her lap. “How’s first grade going for you?”

“It’s so fun!” Tiffany slightly jumped in her seat in excitement, making Jessica wrap an arm around the six-year-old’s waist to prevent her from falling over. “The teacher is so nice. She let me bring home Franklin the turtle because I wrote the best journal entry of the class today!”

“Great job!” Jessica praised, giving the younger girl a kiss against her head. “That’s my little Fany.”

Tiffany giggled with glee and buried her face in the older girl’s big T-shirt, clinging onto her.

“Tiff, give unnie popo.” Jessica ordered and pointed her index finger at her cheek, to which Tiffany obeyed happily.

“Another one!”

“Muah!”

Upon receiving kisses on both cheeks, Jessica chuckled and placed a hand at the back of a giggling Tiffany’s head to bring her closer until her noses were rubbing against hers, giving her an eskimo kiss.

Mrs. Hwang had followed her daughter into the living room from the kitchen and was now standing beside Mr. Jung’s sofa while watching the two little girls affectionately play with each other. Mr. Jung had also put his journal down when Miyoung entered and was smiling to himself as he saw that his young daughter had let someone else into her heart again.

“Girls,” Master Jung called for attention, making everyone look at him curiously. “We have something to tell you.”

“We?” Jessica repeated under her breath, confused.

“Mihwa, sit down.” Mr. Jung told Mrs. Hwang, eyes trained on her as she carefully made her way over to them.

Jessica let out a soft gasp of surprise when Tiffany’s mother took a seat beside her father on the sofa. Tiffany, being the only one who heard her, tightened her grip around the older girl’s shoulders as if unconsciously reassuring her.

“Now?” Mrs. Hwang’s question was directed towards Mr. Jung. The two adults shared a look that the young girls weren’t able to completely understand.

“Miyoung-ah,” Mrs. Hwang called to her daughter, reaching out her arms to call her, but Tiffany shook her head and refused to let go of Jessica. Jessica made no move to persuade the youngest to go to her mother either and instead rested her hand securely on top of Tiffany’s thighs.

Clearing his throat, Mr. Jung directed the girls’ attention to him again. “You two are going to get a sister.”

“Huh?” Jessica and Tiffany both simultaneously responded. Mrs. Hwang shot him an exasperated glare and gave him a slap on his leg.

“Girls…,” the two confused girls turned towards Mrs. Hwang again. "Miyoung-ah, remember how you keep on asking me why my tummy has been growing these past months?”

Tiffany nodded her head, still looking cutely confused, but Jessica, being the smart girl she is, seemed to have already caught on, now listening with no emotions displayed on her face.

“Umma has not been getting fat. Miyoung-ah, there’s a baby girl growing inside umma’s tummy. You’re going to get a sister soon.”

Tiffany gasped, a smile growing quickly at the news of a baby sister. She’s getting a baby sister! She can play with her, dress her up, take care of her, and she can take her along on her outings with Jessica! They are going to get a baby sister!

“That’s not all,” Mr. Hwang interrupted Tiffany’s excitement, making the little girl look towards him with shining eyes. “I’m going to be adopting her, so Jessica, she will legally be your sister as well.”

“You two will meet your little Soojungie in 6 months.” Mrs. Hwang added, lying a hand gently on her swollen belly.

“Jung Soojung. Or Krystal Jung. It’s only right that she takes my last name if she is going to be my daughter.” Both adults nodded at Mr. Jung’s statement.

Tiffany bounced even more happily on Jessica’s lap but the older girl’s unexpressive face was now marred by a glare directed at her father. She patted Tiffany’s bum to signal her to get off and stood up.

“Sooyeon-ah.” “Miss Jessica.”

The adults called to her, surprised and worried by her sudden action.

“Dad, if that’s all, I’ll go back to my room now. I have a lot of homework to do.”

Without waiting for anyone to respond, Jessica walked away, trying hard not to stomp, cry and throw a tantrum.

“Wait, Miss Jessica, your dinner!”

“Sooyeon-ah!”

She heeded no attention to the calls, but she knew that no one came after her anyways. As she rounded the corner on the staircase, she saw in just a glimpse what triggered the release of her held tears: Mrs. Hwang placing a calming hand on her father’s arm, holding him back from storming after her in anger.

With a teary scoff, she speed walked into her room and slammed the door close, not bothering to lock it since no one was going to come after her anyways. Finally in her room, burrowed under her blankets, Jessica felt like she was alone. So alone, but somewhere no one can hurt her. It felt peaceful in a way, no mother who left them—left her— when she was still a mere weeny baby, no father to betray her (it has not even been many years since "the love of his life" passed away—though she has not been truly living for years even before her death— and now... how long has this been going on), no ahjumma to try to replace her mother whom she never fully loved yet fully hated…

“Jessi-unnie?”

But of course there was Tiffany, her sweet little Tiffany princess, innocent little Miyoungie who only knows how to love—to love her.

“Unnie?” Her voice was only a muffle when heard from under the blankets but each call grew louder as Tiffany slowly approached the lump on the bed.

“Are you okay, unnie?”

The bed dipped onto one side when Tiffany struggled to climb up with a little “umph” and scrambled over to lean against Jessica’s body over the blankets.

“I came to make you feel all better, Jessi-unnie!”

How can one ignore the cheery sweet voice, especially when it was meant all for you? A head and an eye peaked out too see Tiffany sitting on her knees with a sandwich in one hand and a jar of cookies in another.

“Hi, unnie!” Tiffany quickly moved down on her elbows and placed her face right in front of the older girl’s.

Even in her foul dark mood, the cute antics didn’t fail to put a smile on her face. She let Tiffany pull the blanket down to her waist and sit her up properly.

“Unnie! We were worried that you might be hungry so umma made you a sandwich!” A chicken sandwich was in her face.

Jessica unconsciously wrinkled her nose, trying to sniff if there were any cucumbers inside, although she had convinced herself that she had no appetite.

“I made sure umma didn’t put any cucumbers but umma remembered anyways.”

The confirmation pulled down on Jessica’s heart like a heavy weight. She just lost her appetite even more.

“No, I’m not hungry.”

“If you don’t want sandwich, then do you want to share my cookies with me?” Tiffany asked hopefully, showing Jessica her cache of cookies that she had saved. She really wanted her unnie to eat something for dinner.

A cookie was taken out from the jar and placed at Jessica’s lips.

“Here.”

Unwilling to deny Tiffany’s requests, Jessica opened and let the younger girl stick the sweet snack inside. The cookie was a little soft and stale, but to Jessica, it was the best dinner she had eaten. After all, Tiffany was sharing with her her cookies that she had saved meticulously “in case the world ends and all food is gone”. Jessica starts to smile as she chewed slowly while watching the younger girl nibble on her own cookie; Tiffany considered her being sad as a situation worse than the world ending.

After they finished their respective cookies and Jessica had wiped hers and Tiffany’s fingers carefully with a wet tissue, Jessica pulled the younger girl by the waist to make her sit on her lap again.

“Tiff?” She called softly against her sweet-smelling head; she smelled like strawberries and milk, still with the warmth of an infant.

“Nae, unnie?” Tiffany snuggled closer below Jessica’s chin.

“Are you that happy to have a sister?”

“Yes! I can’t wait to meet Soojungie!” Jessica could hear Tiffany’s grin transform into a pout. “But unnie, why aren’t you happy?”

“I don’t want another sister.”

“Another?”

“I already have you.” Jessica hugged Tiffany tighter around her waist. Just the two of them, that’s already perfect enough, Jessica thought.

“But I’m not your sister! I’m your little princess!”

Jessica had to laugh at that. “Yes, you’re my little princess and you’re all that I need.”

Tiffany’s smiling eyes looked up at the older girl. “Okay unnie. If you aren’t happy, I won’t be excited either. I won’t want a younger sister; you’re all that I want too!”

That was enough to quell Jessica’s anger for a while, but during the silence in which they hugged, reality registered in her mind again.

“Well, whether or not we want the sister, she’s still coming anyways.” She whispered, trying to hide her bitterness.

“That’s why we should just be happy about it unnie. We don’t want to make our sister feel unwanted right? I would feel very bad if you didn’t want me anymore, unnie. I don’t want our sister to ever feel that way.” Tiffany stated firmly, thoughtful and sincere.

Jessica smiled proudly and rubbed her nose lovingly against the crown of the eyesmiling girl’s head.

“But unnie?” Tiffany called again, head cocked curiously.

“Yeah?”

“Why can’t Mr. Jung adopt me too then?”

Jessica’s smile turned sad again, but Tiffany was too young to understand the slight change. You’re too young to understand all that which remains unsaid, my little princess. And I will not be the one to rid you of your precious innocence.

“Why do you ask, Tiff? You want to be my sister too?”

“Why can’t I be a Jung too?”

Tiffany pouted. To her, being a Jung meant being rich, being able to speak English, being able to go out together with Jessica and being able to be called Jessica’s sister… to be proudly called Jessica’s something, that would be enough for her.

“To be a Jung, you either have to be adopted by a Jung or you have to marry a Jung. In the west, when a woman marries a man, she can change her last name to his if she wants to.”

“Exactly! That’s why Mr. Jung should adopt me! Or you should adopt me as your sister!” Tiffany concluded after listening attentively to the older girl.

“Tiffany, remember how you said you wanted to marry me when we grow older?” Jessica decided to cute friend.

“IMM! I will marry you and kiss you! On the lips!”

“But Tiff, if you are adopted, then you become my sister. And sisters cannot marry sisters.” Jessica explained, speaking in a fake sad tone.

Tiffany paused and seemed to be deeply considering her choices. She had rested her head on her small fists, lips pouting, eyebrows furrowed, making little humming noises to herself as she thought. Then with a gasp, she clapped her hands, excited with the solution she came up with.

“UNNIE! Then I will just marry you! You are a Jung and if I marry you and you become my husband then I will change my last name to Jung!” Tiffany hugged Jessica and swayed their bodies together happily, giggling all the while. “This is great! I get to marry you and also become a Jung. I will never let Mr. Jung adopt me then.”

“That’s good,” Jessica replied with a sigh of relief.

A short comfortable silence settled upon the two children again as they rested against each other, lost in their own thoughts.

“Jessi-unnie?”

“Hmm?”

“I hope Soojungie looks like you.”

That was not possible and Jessica knew. Jessica was known for looking like her mother in all her features and manners, except for her eyes and her wide forehead. Maybe they could have the same eyes or the same forehead. No, maybe not the eyes.

“I wish Krystal will have your eyes.”

“I hope she will be very beautiful like you.”

“I wish Krystal would smile with her eyes like you do. But no matter how pretty her eyesmile is, yours is still the most beautiful.”

“Jessi-unnie, you’re beautifuller!” Tiffany said in English.

“It’s more beautiful. You’re more beautiful.” Jessica corrected, smiling at her adoringly.

“Well, if Soojung looks like both of us, then she really will be very pretty and cute.”

“Surely.

“Unnie, I can’t wait to meet our little sister.”

“… Me too.”

Fortunately or unfortunately, there were only six months left before things might change.

 

 

A/N (2): sorry guys, i just had to screw some things up to put some drama... moohahahhaahhaha *evil author appears*

anyways, there's a figment from my childhood in the chapter. Franklin the turtle. that was my first grade life. i worked so hard to bring the turtule toy back home and i loved the books about the little turtle. gahhh those days, my lovely childhood days.

i'm kinda worried that our little jessica might have been portrayed a little too mature for her age (she's 11 remember!). if u guys think so too, tell me cuz i'll fix some things up, and uhhh this chapter takes place one year after the previous, thus the age change of the characters.

hope u guys enjoyed it ^^

P.S.: a shoutout of great thanks to CJaaaaay for pointing out that i forgot to tell u guys what the deal is with Jessica's mother. so to make things a little less angsty and complicated and dramatic, i have killed off Mrs. Jung (sorry!). from the start, i had intended for her to not be very healthy (thus sica checks on her whenever she gets home). and well, i thought it would just be weird if Mr. Jung... okay i'll stop here, i don't want to give things away. not that my plot is not obvious :P