Eight

LEt Me Be DRess

Flashback~

 

It was my first year in middle school. I was hanging out with the rest of the baseball team. We were preparing for an upcoming game that was in two weeks. I was still new to everything but it didn't stop me from trying my best. "Hey violet someone's looking for you." The pitcher said while winking at me. "He said he would wait for you by the gym." She gives me a light pat on the shoulder.

I had a feeling it was him. We were working together for a while and I was excited. I couldn't stop the huge blush that crept on my face. I turned the corner and there he was. He leaned on the wall, playing on his phone. I slowly made my way to him. I leaned and shouted. "Boo!" His reaction was too cute. "Umma!" I couldn't help but laugh.  ”yah! Are you crazy?? You could have killed me." He rubbed his chest and playfully glared at me.  "Come on Jay I could never do that. I still need you to advertise me when I become a famous singer. You'd be my very special song writer and manager. I can't kill you yet till I've made it big." We both started laughing.

We had clicked the very first day. Both Jay and I were in science and music class. Science was our fifth class. It was awkward at first. We were paired and I didn’t have anyone I knew in that class. Neither did he. “Hey there my name is Violet. Nice to meet you." I waved at him. I might as well start a conversation. "Hey I'm Jay." He looked at me with a big smile that made my heart go crazy for the first time. 

We sat at the very back. Our chairs were side by side while we shared a table. The teacher discussed the basics of the assignment, class conduct and what we should expect to do. Of course it was boring and it wasn't something I haven't heard before. “Hey violet what other classes do you have? I wonder what other classes we have. It would be good if I had someone I knew in there. I'm actually new around here. I just moved a few weeks ago." He took out his schedule out and put it in the center of the table. 

I opened my binder and took mine out and placed it on the center too. We both leaned in and check. “Oh it must be very awkward moving to a new place. I’ve experienced it and did not like it. I finally came back and here I am. "I chuckle. “I hope I like it. It seems pretty cool here." He said while rubbing the nape of his neck. "Oh our third classes were so close. I don't think I saw you." I pointed to our schedule.  "Yours is two classes down from mine and we have our last class together. How amazing is that." He says while looking at both papers. 

The more I look at him, the more my heart began to do flips inside my chest. He was sweet to consider finding other classes with me. I was never good with attracting the opposite . I was so into my little world that I never felt this way. It was the first. I didn't understand it. "Since we have the same last period let's meet each other around this hall and walk to class together."  

Sure enough, we both went to meet each other in the designated hallway and walked to class. It was great. I had made a friend and we would always meet. He was great at playing the violin, saxophone and piano. I was never good at instruments. I was more into singing and song writing. One class day we were required to come up with our own music.  We were allowed to choose out partners. 

At this time I had joined baseball and was a month in. I believed I wasn't good but everyone told me otherwise. I wouldn't have joined if it weren't for Jay. By this time my feelings for Jay grew. I wondered if he ever felt this way about me. There were times at lunch he would stare at me and do weird face while his friends were in a deep conversation. I would do them back when my friends were talking about the latest fashion and cute boys around school. It felt as we were in our own little world were we could do silly things and never get caught. 

"So what is the plan manager? Are we releasing a hit wonder?" I cross my arms and raise a brow. He then pokes my forehead and grins. “We my artist are going to do a duet. I've had an idea but I need some ideas on the lyrics. What do you say, want to help me?" I squeal and jump around. “So I guess that's a yes." He chuckles and we he'd to the only room in the entire school with a piano. 

There was only one piano and that was used for assembly and occasional events. We had gotten permission from the teacher to be able to use it. Jay made his way to the piano, taking a seat and touched around the keys. His back was lean and welcoming... so comforting. I had to shake myself from getting any idea. He turns to look at me and pats the stool were he sat. I make my way and sit down clearing my throat. 

“What do you have so far as melody goes?" I ask trying not over think how close we were. “Uhhh... well you see, it's kind of like a balled...." Jay seemed embarrassed. His cheeks were bright red and he was rubbing the nape of his neck. A thing he does whenever he was nervous. “Just spill. Whatever it is I bet it's amazing." I urge him. "Okay. DON'T GET ANY IDEAS. I JUST THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE GOOD." He was shouting, rushing every word.  I rushed him to play and sing. 

I was excited to hear what he had come up with. Knowing how talented he was, he must have made something wonderful. The first few notes were soft and soothing. Slow but moved in a swaying way. Then he began to sing.

There's nothing greater than the smile you give. 

When we are together I forget to breathe.

There's just something about you that makes me weak in the knees.

Every night I wonder if you ever think of me like I do about you.

Can I say I've fallen for you since day one? 

You'd blow away the clouds that hung over me and bring me light. 

 

My heart raced as he sang each phrase. How- did he also feel this way? Was he referring to me? Did he like me the way that I liked him? Or was it reading too deep into the song. Either way I felt my face grow hot.  If Jay liked me too then would we be together if we confessed our feelings? 

Jay finished and looked the other way. "That's all I got so far. What do you think?" He crossed his arms and looked around the room searching for something to keep me from seeing his face. “I... I'm speechless to be honest." It was true. I loved everything about it. “I told you I needed help. I knew it wasn't good. I bet it was cheesy. We can do another one if you like." 

" A-ani! I like it. We should totally stick with this. I'm just so amazed with the lyrics. They are very good. It must have taken experience to come up with these. “This time I was the one looking away, trying to find something interesting. “Huh!?! I mean yea I guess. But I did what any other song writer would come up with. It's no big deal. It's not like I l-like someone. That would be crazy." 

I turn to him and stand. Jay jumps from my sudden movement and looks up at me. "Jay I have something to tell you." I grip my shirt and look directly at him. "The truth is that I-" The door swings opened and there stood Amber. "Jay Ms. Key is looking for you." Amber made her attention to me. She never liked me. She had always glared at me and would talk to her friends about me. It never bothered me much. I didn't really see her as much so it didn't affect me much. 

"Oh okay. Violet I'll see you tomorrow. We'll talk more about this. See you later." With that Jay waved and left out the door. I was now in a room with Amber. She eyed me up and down. “So why are you and Jay alone in this room?" Her glare looked as if she was going to devour me any second. I couldn't let her think she would scare me. I stood and placed my hands in my pockets. “What’s it to you? It's none of your business anyways." 

I could tell she was not happy with my response. “Just because you’re cool with Jay doesn't make you a bad . I can tell you like Jay by the way you look at him. But let's get on thing straight." She walked closers to me, smirking as if she's already one this argument.  ”Jay doesn't see you in that way. Give up. I don't know if you have noticed but you’re nothing to him."

I finally saw why she had always disliked me. She too liked Jay and I was in the way. I was not going to back down. Not when I was this close. "Look Amber, I get it. You’re jealous, I understand. But let's get one thing straight. Just because you like Jay doesn't mean I have to stop liking him so you can have him." With that I walked out.

I looked back to make sure she wasn’t following me. I let out a sigh. I was not the type of person to act that way. It was the first time I’ve ever done anything like that. I was not going to let her get to me. If anything, I’m going to try my best and tell Jay everything.

The next day, Jay and I worked on adding more lyrics to the song. We goofed around here and there. I wanted to tell him what I felt but I never found the right time to tell him. The truth was I was scared. Scared to loose what we had and end all these great memories we had together. I was willing to let go the urge of telling him that I had fallen hard for him.

___________________________________________________

 

Sorry guys for the long wait. I've actually had this chapter done but didn't get the chance to post it. I hope you guys like it. Just some back story between these two. I will be added part twould to this so be on a look out. Also I'll do a character profile I feel like I should explain the characters more.