Chpater 26

Stalker

 

26

      Detective Oh was not sure why she stopped at her car's door and looked up at the house. There was something in the pit of her stomach making her doubt her certitudes, and it was not only because of Lee Minwoo's words.

It was something else, something in the man's eyes that was making her wonder if, perhaps -and only perhaps- she should give him a chance for once.

It did not mean she would forget about his wrong doings and let him off the hook so easily, but she was a detective and she could not disregard when someone seemed in need of help. What would she say if tomorrow she was hearing Lee Minwoo from Shinhwa was found dead, overdosed, in some house in the countryside ?

It would not be good for her, and even if she did not like the dancer for personal and legitimate reasons; she could not let someone put his life in danger. Her duty was to protect and save, and what human being would she be if she was abandoning Lee Minwoo to some uncertain fate.

It was not in her character and she definitely needed to know if the idol was doing anything illegal so far from civilization.

Maybe he was using this house to get high as much as he wanted. She could not let that happen, and walking back to the house she hesitated once at the door.

Should she knock ? She rather not, because she wanted to eventually see from her own eyes the man with a syringe in hand. She needed this proof to give her this renew of energy to keep going with her investigation.

After Lee had arrested Minwoo's supposed stalker, most agents at the police station had began to doubt her words. They were slowly turning their backs on her and letting her on her own with the drug case. They did not want to have anything to do with something that could backfire before they could think about it.

Investigating on famous people was always complicated, and Oh most than anyone else knew this.

There was still this rage burning inside her when remembering her best friend's case.

Oh had just entered the police when Yuna, her childhood friend, had came to her, crying and asking for her help. Oh had done everything in her power, but she was just a rookie at the time, and soon the case was dropped; because the guy was a famous rising actor and no one wanted to believe a nobody accusing him of ual assault.

Since then, Oh had developed a great dislike for celebrities; and it had only worsened over the years. How many times did she have to watch rich or famous people get away with their wrong doings because of who they were ? Too many, and when Lee Minwoo's case happened she promised herself she would not be like her senior detectives.

They had all closed their eyes and let the culprits walk away because of their status.

Oh would not do that, and Lee Minwoo being her first case involving someone famous, she felt the need to give her whole to prove the man guilty. Because Lee Minwoo was guilty, they had evidences and testimony; so there was no reason for the dancer to get through it freely.

He needed to pay for his crimes and if no one had the guts to be responsible of it, she had to do it. She would not be better than her senior detectives otherwise.

      Trying the door, she was a bit surprised to find it open, but with a hidden smirk, she pushed open the wood and stepped inside the house.

Lee Minwoo was nowhere to be seen, and no real noise reached her ears. Walking carefully inside the place, she decided to try and look around a bit before the dancer could spot her. Maybe with some luck she would find drugs.

Heading on her right, she found the kitchen and started searching it. However, in a hasty movement a knife banged against the drawer and made her froze in place.

Had Lee Minwoo heard it ? She could not say for sure, because there was no real noise telling her what the man was currently doing. She had as only certitude the dancer was on the other side of the house doing she was not sure what.

Maybe he was preparing himself to take some drug. Should she check on him to eventually have the wanted evidences ?

Opting to do so, she started walking out of the kitchen when she heard soft footsteps on the flooring. It was barely audible, but she was a trained detective, therefore she immediately understood Lee Minwoo must be coming to her.

Did he know she was here ? What would be his reaction ? Should she announce herself ?

Maybe if she was being quiet enough he would miss her and resume whatever he was doing; which would give her the opportunity to catch him red handed.

Deciding to hide her presence, she stepped out of the kitchen and spotted a good place to avoid the dancer. However, she was not expecting for the hallway to be open on both sides on the living room. It was too late when she realized such fact, and when she approached it, something made her skull explode in pain. In less than a second, she was knocked out cold on the hard floor.

 

      Minwoo was frozen in place and did not know what to do. It was barely if he could believe what he was seeing. What the hell detective Oh was doing here ? He had not just knocked her out, had he ? He did not want to believe it.

As if he did not have enough trouble with her as it was. She would so arrest him at her awaking for assaulting her. What was he supposed to do now ? He could not let her like this. What if she was seriously injured ? Minwoo had used a lot of strengths to neutralize the person who was supposed to be his stalker.

What if Oh was dead ?

"Oh God !" He breathed in horror before falling on his knees in front of the unconscious woman to look for a pulse.

He thought for a second he had just done the worst mistake of his life, before eventually feeling a pulse. He released a loud breath and relaxed immediately.

At least Oh was not dead. His life would have been so over if he had killed a cop.

Crashing against the wall in his back, Minwoo suddenly felt drained out from any kind of energy he could have.

This vacation was supposed to be peaceful and relaxing, so what the hell was going on ? Was he cursed or something ? The main dancer did not know anymore and felt like just giving up.

How was he supposed to recover from everything that had happened if bad stuffs were still happening ? Because he knew, even if it was making him terrified, he knew when Oh would be awake then the nightmare would start again. There was no way the woman would believe him, and he was sure she would not hesitate to arrest him and take him back to Seoul.

" !" He shouted, punching the wall in his back which made his hand throb in pain. "What am I gonna do ?" He asked himself in a breath, and after passing a hand on his face he got a sudden idea.

Pushing himself up, he felt an ache in his leg, and limping for a second it subdued quickly to let him walk to the bedroom peacefully. Here, Minwoo grabbed his cell phone and looked for the needed contact, but the phone found no signal.

" !" He cursed once again at the verge of breaking something. "Come on…" He muttered, walking through the house to get some signal, but there was still none.

Sighing in pure annoyance, he had only one solution left. Glancing at the detective, he wondered if he should get her on the couch to be more comfortable, but moving a person with a head injury was never safe, so, with worry in his eyes he hurried out of the house to try to call for help.

Minwoo could only pray the woman would not wake up meantime and think he had ran away after knocking her out. It would only make things worse.

"Come on !" He growled in overwhelming irritation.

He was already quite far from the house, and no matter how high he put his phone he could not get enough signal to call someone; even for urgent matters.

" !" He shouted and kicked the dirt at his feet. "Okay." He breathed with a hand passing in his air in an attempt to calm down. "What're my options ?" He talked to himself in anxiety. "Maybe if I explain her everything she would believe me…" He could not help scoff at that. "Yeah, sure. And unicorns are real."

Pulling on his hair and moving nervously, Minwoo realized he was talking alone, and feeling on the verge of insanity, he took a deep breath to gather his mind. Losing it now would be of no help; and it was not like he had killed someone. The situation could not be that bad for Christ sake.

      The main dancer was still pacing outside and trying to find a solution when a loud bang cracked through the air from the house and petrified him in place.

What the hell ? Was it…

He could not believe it, and out of instinct he ran back inside the house and hurried to Oh's side. What he found made his eyes widen in horror, the blood he could now see on the floor something terrifying him out of his mind.

What the hell happened ? Oh God !

"Detective!" He called out in terror, but no matter how much he shook her she did not respond nor move. "… Detective Oh !" He shouted in growing panic, but the woman just kept bleeding out motionlessly. "Oh God ! … What the hell's going on ?" He breathed in growing hysteria, the hands he pressed on the bullet wound doing little to stop the bleeding.

Panicking, he felt her neck for a pulse, but there was none.

Oh God ! It could not be real. She could not...

Horrified, Minwoo stumbled on his feet and pressed his wrists against his mouth. The metallic smell of blood made him sick in his stomach, and when he stared down at his hands the blood covering them made him gagged.

Oh God ! It was real…

In total helplessness and shock, Minwoo could only stare at the dead woman on the floor at his feet. What was he supposed to do ? What the hell happened ?

Oh God !

Realizing the fire shot could not have happen on its own, the dancer felt raw fear assault him.

Oh God !

Looking around in pure terror, Minwoo saw nothing more than the walls and furniture, which only increased this feeling of panic.

Where the hell was he ?

Minwoo knew he was here, he had to be here, because no one else could be capable of such thing.

Oh God !

Breathing heavily, the main dancer did not know what to do, and the phone in his pocket was maddeningly useless.

What should he do ?

Looking down at the dead detective, he spotted something at her belt; and having no other option at the right moment, he hurried closer to her to take her gun. The blood on Minwoo's hands made it hard to grab the metal, so, after staring at his trembling bloody hands for a second, he wiped them on his pants.

It was sticky and disgusting, but in the end the main dancer managed to wipe his hands enough to get a good hold of the weapon at Oh's belt. He felt horrified and ashamed to be doing that to the dead woman, but he did not have a choice.

"I'm sorry." He whispered lowly before standing up with the gun in hand.

Minwoo did not have much of a choice anymore, and it was either fight or die. There was no way he would give up on life so easily, and looking through the house with the gun aimed in front of him, he felt ready to confront the man he thought was behind all this.

It felt incredibly weird and good to be standing up against the bastard who had tormented and tortured him for nearly a year. Minwoo had been so powerless and terrified all this time, because the man was leaving him no possibility to defend himself.

But here it was different.

Here he had a weapon and was standing on his two feet ready to kill the motherer who had done all this to him. There was no way he would let him harm anyone anymore. He would stop him and make him pay for what he had done.

Minwoo was so tired of this man's doings that the fact he was ready to kill a human being did not scare him for a second.

Knowing he was not one for violence, it was showing clearly how far this man had pushed the dancer to make him in the mindset of a killer.

Because, with the gun ready to be fired in hand and careful footsteps leading him through the house, Minwoo had only one purpose, and it was to put down his stalker.

Definitely.



So~

How was it ? Did you like it ? I feel bad for Oh -even if she was a - she's my character and I liked her despite her bad attitude towards our dear Minwoo.

I'm sure a lot of you are celebrating her death right now... but it makes me sad in some way people hated her so much -even if I understand considering what she did- and I don't know if you understood her better with the little glimpse in her motives, I'm not sure it made her more human to your eyes, but I really hope you weren't hating her as much as in the beginning after knowing why she was despising celebrities so much.

 

Anyway, I just hope you enjoyed this chapter and you're anticipating what's to come ^^

 

To next time !