Chapter 25

Stalker

 

25

      An unimaginable amount of thoughts spurted in Minwoo's mind when Oh's words sank in his brain. Starting by what the hell was she saying to is it some kind of dream or something ?

Because he could not believe the female detective could be at the door of the house he had rented and just arrived at two days ago.

How had she found him anyway ? Nobody knew where he was. Was it Eric ? Did something happen ? Were his friends alright ? Oh God, what if his stalker had escaped and hurt someone ? What if Eric was hurt because of him ? Maybe the man had sneaked inside the leader's apartment thinking Minwoo was there but then had attacked Eric instead as retaliation.

Oh God !

Minwoo would never forgive himself if his friend was hurt because of him.

Narrowing her eyes at the panicking Minwoo, Oh bit her lip in visible annoyance. "You said you wanted to talk to me. So go ahead, I don't have all day."

"I don't…" Minwoo did not know what to answer to that, nor if he was understanding the words to begin with.

Because it had no sense.

"Listen to me !" She snapped back, shifting her weight from a foot to the other in growing irritation. "You think calling me here would make me change my mind on you ? I know what you did and it doesn't matter why. You're an addict and you've to pay for that."

Blinking and shaking his head, Minwoo shot back "What the hell are you doing here ? I've never called you and… , can't you leave me alone ?"

A silence fell at the dancer's words, because now the detective was the one confused by the situation.

"Don't bull me ! You sent me a message telling me you wanted to have a talk with me about the drug case before giving me your address. I thought you wanted to come clean and finally face the consequences of your acts."

With his jaw dropping, Minwoo thought sincerely for a second the woman was an hallucination or from a bad dream. Because it could not be possible and this woman -if real- was crazy for going so far to destroy everything he ever had.

"I even thought for a second you were different from all these other celebrities behaving like s just because they're famous. So what…?" She resumed with a threatening expression. "You thought you'll be able to bribe me to cover up your doings ? I'm not one you can corrupt, and I'll get you for trying something like that."

Minwoo listened without really listening, the only permanent thought reasoning in his head being she was crazy and it could not be real.

"Wait ! Wait." He eventually snapped out of it as Oh stared at him expressionlessly. "What did you say ?"

She looked at him as if he was stupid before sighing and saying "Are you deaf or something ? I don't have time for your stupid games. I've work to do, and don't think you're off the hook. You just gave me another reason to continue my investigation."

She was about to leave but Minwoo shot his arm out and grabbed her arm "Wait !"

Tensing up, the detective glared up at him threateningly "Let go !" She hissed lowly, and swallowing thickly, Minwoo obeyed.

"I'm sorry but… You've to listen to me. I don't understand what you're talking about. I've never texted you or anything. It must be a mistake…"

Narrowing her eyes at him, Oh faced the dancer again with her hands still deep in her pockets.

"If it's one of your tricks again…"

"It's not ! I swear, gosh… I've no idea what's going on. How did you find me ? Did Eric tell you ?"

The detective frowned "I didn't talk to your friend for months, and I already told you. You texted me your address almost begging me to meet with you because you needed to come clean about the all story."

"I…"

Passing a hand in his brown hair, Minwoo took a breath and himself in growing anxiety.

All this made no sense, and a worrying, terrifying thought was slowly settling with him. But he did not want to believe it. The guy was in prison, everything was over…

What the hell was going on then ?

"Can I see the message ?" He asked out of the blue, because he could not believe what the woman was saying.

"What ? Why ?"

"Because…" He began, almost panting. "I need to see it."

Narrowing her eyes at the dancer, Oh eventually complied with a sigh. "Don't try anything funny." She warned with her hand not far from her weapon.

Minwoo did not notice it though, too preoccupied by the frightening possibility becoming more and more real.

He thought and prayed the woman had lied all along or mistaken something; but when he saw the message there was no doubt. The text was signed Lee Minwoo and every words were true to Oh's saying.

What the hell ?

It could not…

Snapping his head up, Minwoo stared with horror filled eyes at the detective. Said woman slightly flinched before gaining back her composure.

"Come on in !" He hurriedly said before entering the house without even checking if Oh was following him.

"What's going on with you ? Give me back my phone already !" She ordered once in the living room.

Working on reflex, Minwoo handed back the phone and tried to think quickly and efficiently. There was no dozen of explanation to the situation, and the most probable one was terrifying and making the dancer sick in his stomach.

"Okay…" He breathed to himself while pacing in the room. "Maybe I'm being paranoid…" He continued lowly with a hand wiping his mouth. "Just calm down. It can't be that…"

"Lee Minwoo !" Called the detective, and snapping out of his trance he looked at the woman in a mix of confusion and expectation. "You're behaving like a maniac. You've to calm down and tell me what's going on."

"I…" Minwoo had no answer for the woman.

"First thing first, why did you ask me to come here ?"

"I didn't ask you to come here." He answered and Oh nodded.

"Then, who did it ? Is it some kind of joke or s…"

"It's him !" He cut off in growing panic.

"Him who ?" She frowned back.

"My stalker. It's him. It can only be him."

"What are you talking about ? Gong's in prison."

"I… it must be a mistake. They certainly arrested the wrong guy or he escaped… Gosh I don't know. It's crazy to me too but… it can only be him. It won't be the first time."

"Okay." She breathed in annoyance. "I've enough of your act. Gong's in prison, that I can tell you. And if he'd escaped I'll know it." She pulled on her shirt and added. "I'll be on my way now, but don't think I'll let this pass."

Minwoo did not even care about the threat, because there was so much more important matters at hand; and said matters could be dangerous.

"Detective, wait !" He ran after her, but she was already at the door and stepping outside.

"Stop it already." She answered without even looking at the dancer. "Are you using again ? You're behaving insanely." She added once facing the shorter man.

Minwoo stopped in his track and stared at her at a loss of words.

"Maybe I should just take you to the police station with me. Who knows what you'll do on your own here."

Detective Oh was not meaning her words, just intending to scare the Shinhwa member to eventually leave peacefully.

"Stop wasting my time now. I've a two hours drive back to Seoul, and meeting with you just got my mood worse."

Minwoo did not have a reply to this and just let the woman walk to her car. What could he do now ? She was not believing him and he had no more argument nor even proof of his saying. Maybe it was just some kind of hackers taking pleasure at doing such stupid things.

Who knows. In this world, everything was possible.

Slowly accepting he could not do anything to change the detective's mind and would have to face some unpleasant events once back to Seoul; he turned to the house to step back inside. He was suddenly feeling very sensitive and nervous. The perspective the man who had tormented him for months was maybe not far something he could not ignore.

He had to get away, and fast, before anything could happen to him.

Maybe he should have leave with Oh. What safest place than with a detective ? Sometimes Minwoo was so stupid.

Shaking his head in disbelieve, he headed to the bedroom where he immediately dressed before starting to pack. The positive point of the situation was he had barely enough time to take anything out of his luggage.

Shoving a t-shirt in his bag he was about to grab his computer when he heard a noise.

At any other moment in any other kind of situation he would have perhaps ignored it; but not here. It was loud and clear in his ears which put him on alert immediately.

He could hear his heavy breath rising his chest up and down, the way the atmosphere around him slowly changed adding to the tension he was feeling.

Minwoo had no certitude, but his experience was enough for him to grab the heaviest thing he found to use as weapon. There was no way he would confront the man empty hands, and the last thing he wanted to happen was to be powerless in front of his stalker like by the past.

He was tired of always be the victim. This time he would fight for himself and he would do it right.

      The lamp was cold against his skin, and heavy in his hand; which was perfect. He did not know what he would find, but he knew he would be ready for it.

Progressing through the house, he was careful and aware of his surroundings. He could hear and feel everything, as insignificant as it could be.

There was the regular noise of the heater engulfing the house, the air cleaner in the bedroom and living room offering a low, discreet melody Minwoo focused on unknowingly. He could hear his every footsteps as he made his way to the other side of the house, the way his heart beat worrying him someone could hear it.

It was pounding so loudly against his ribcage that Minwoo barely managed to ignore it. But the worst was how breathless he felt and how heavy his breathing was; it was almost painful, his lungs refusing to function as wanted.

When they contracted and let air out, it felt oppressing and worrying, and when the dancer breathed in, he feared each time to make too much noise and give away his position.

Then, arriving in the hallway leading to the kitchen, he heard some kind of shifting; and feeling the presence close to him, he swung his arm and hit full force some hard skull. In a loud thump, the body crashed on the floor under Minwoo's wide and horrified eyes.



So, now you know  what Oh was doing here.

I hope you liked this chapter, I know I'm not satisfied with it -but I don't hate it either ^^-

 

Well, I've nothing much to say, so...

To next time !