Chapter 9

Pictures of You

There was popcorn in a bowl, a bottle of mango Calpico and a half eaten hot dog. The TV was on and so was the Playstation, in all seriousness it seem like a boy would be at the couch instead of Sunny. She wasn’t a big eater, but she had finished her classes for the day and decided to treat herself to hotdogs, popcorn and some Little Big Planet.

“I rock at this. Wait, did I use that? I rock, yeah that seems right.” Sunny said to herself as she beaten another level.

The girls had a dry erase board hung up in the kitchen that serve as a message board and posted each girl’s school schedule. Hyunah and Tiffany went to school four days a week, while Sunny and Jessica went Monday through Wednesday. Tiffany took five classes, while all the other girls took four. The board was made to figure out if carpooling could be done, since their weekly work schedules were also posted, and it helped out for Hyunah who didn’t drive.

There was a rattle at the front door, it opened and Jessica came in, all sweating and very frustrated. Sunny noticed Jessica’s less than stellar mood and saved her game as Jessica threw her bags down and sat on the couch next to Sunny letting out a great sigh. Sunny asked her what was wrong. Jessica finished off Sunny’s Calpico and hot dog and laid onto Sunny’s lap. She was still apparently angry, upset and still very sweaty.

“I got cut at try-outs. Again, me! Cut, in the first round!” Jessica answered, as Sunny her back. “I’m not a bad player, how could they do that to me?!”

Jessica had been looking to play on the club women’s soccer team for a while now and had not made the team since. They just didn’t seem the to have a place for the tiny Asian midfielder. Just like other club sports on campus, the women’s club soccer team was semi-competitive, non-varsity and played against other college club teams.

“It’s okay, you’re better off. You don’t need to play for them. They wouldn’t have been good for you anyways.” Sunny continued to offer comfort.

“You know, I was like faster than half the girls out there, and I actually knew how to play midfield too. I stay wide, I play the lines, I make the right passes. Gosh, they’re so screwed up. Stupid coach, stupid captain.”

“It’s okay Jessi, honey.” Sunny continued to comfort Jessica her back and hair. “Why don’t you play tennis with Tiffany? Tiffany got made an officer this year, like vice president or co-captain. Tennis is non-cut, so no tryouts.”

“I’m not good at tennis Sunny, I haven’t played in a long time. If I play would, would you join the club team too?” Jessica asked turning to face Sunny with puppy eyes. “I mean tennis? It’s really more Tiffany’s thing, I can’t do it alone, and you can play. So will you do it if I do it?”

“Jessica, I’m not very good at tennis, I haven’t played in a while either. I wasn’t looking to do any clubs this year Jessi. Why would I?” Sunny said,

“That’s okay, it’s fine. I wanted to be on the soccer team and they wouldn’t have me. So that’s fine.I guess.” Jessica said, seemingly looking more upset and defeated than before.

Sunny got a text from Hyomin asking her what’s up. Sunny used her one hand to try to text back to Hyomin.

‘Hyomin! School was good. Jessi didn’t make soccer team. I’m trying to convince her to play tennis’

‘Oh? That sounds cool. I feel bad for Jessica. Will she be okay?’

‘I don’t know. She wants me to play tennis too in order for her to play. She is almost begging me.’

‘PLAY! Go Play! You both can be happy and exercise.’

“Jessi, you sure you don’t want to play?” Sunny asked again even more sincerely.

“I told you, I wanted soccer. I told you Sunny, I’ll play tennis if you play.” Jessica said, sounding a little mopier.

“How about we go hit? That way we can make informed decision?” Sunny suggested.

“Like now? Go hit? Tennis?” Jessica asked.

“We could go now, sure why not? We’ll see if we want to play, or rather if we can play still.”

“Okay let’s go then. I’ll change into something for tennis and get the racquets.” Jessica said, getting up and moving to her room.

Sunny took this time to text Hyomin and let her know that she would be out playing tennis with Jessica. Hyomin protested with an ‘aww’ and said she would like to come too. Sunny asked if she knew how to play tennis, Hyomin answered ‘Wii tennis.’ Sunny said Jessica didn’t like to be hindered by inexperience when she’s a foul mood, so Hyomin asked if she could take pictures instead. Sunny said that’d be cool.

Sunny and Jessica went off to the neighborhood courts to start hitting; they only had to drive for a little bit to get there. Jessica and Sunny played with the same racquets and surprisingly had very similar form and .

“Argh, I’m so bad at this Jessi! I don’t’ think I should play!” Sunny cried.

“It’s fine we’re just warming up.” Jessica said.

Just then Hyomin walked up to the courts with her camera bag and waved hi. The girls stopped hitting and Jessica had a look of shock and surprise, but noticed Sunny waved back.

“Oh, she was invited by Sunny. Hmm.” Jessica said to herself as Hyomin went to the net post to join the girls.

“Hello. Sunny. I hope you don’t mind Jessica, if I take some photos. I have very little experience with action and sports photography. Please?”

“Okay, do you need us to do anything?” Jessica asked. Hyomin just shook her head and told them to play.

“Wow Sunny, you could have dressed cuter like Jessica, that looks more photo friendly,” Hyomin joked. Sunny had on shorts and t-shirt (which she rolled up the sleeves) while Jessica had a tennis skirt and top. Hyomin snapped on one of her fastest lenses and started shooting the girls hitting tennis balls around. “Don’t mind me!”

Click. Click.

Jessica and Sunny decided to play one set. Jessica and Sunny were both rusty from not playing in over a year. Tennis wasn’t the same riding a bike; it took some time getting back into. Sunny had always been the natural athlete of the household; faster, stronger and agile. However, even all-star Sunny couldn’t come out on top of everything; tennis required some finesse, which Jessica had a lot more of. Jessica had better timing on her and could strike the ball faster/harder without using all the exertion Sunny did. Sunny lost to Jessica 3-6, but Hyomin insisted on getting some photos of them together.

Click. Click.

Sunny and Jessica smiled, hugged and acted cute for some photos. Sunny said Jessica was ready and good enough to play on the club. Sunny hadn’t worked out in a month, so she was tired and drained, if her fitness was better maybe she would have kept up with Jessica. Jessica’s phone rang and interrupted the photo shoot.

“Jessica?! I need help! Can you come to my house?! Please! Jessica!” Yuri pleaded into the phone.

“What’s wrong? Is everything okay?” Jessica asked, the smile from her face earlier disappeared.

“I need you! I’m locked in my bathroom! The door handle broke and I slipped and I fell. I can’t get out, please come?! Taeyeon is still out and I can’t reach her, you’re the only one who can help. Please?”

“I’m so sorry. I have to go, Hyomin can you take Sunny home? I’ll talk to you later Sunny,” Jessica said and grabbed her things and drove off.

“That was sudden.” Sunny commented. Hyomin nodded and snapped another picture.

“We’re losing daylight too. You should try doing a serve. Yeah, like that! Do it showing some skin?” Hyomin asked, with no hints of a joke or innuendo.

“What?”

“You’re wearing a sports bra right? You’re covered in sweat. Do your serve or some shots without your shirt on, and the sweat and lighting will enhance your abs.” Hyomin said again, with straight face, just adjusting her camera.

“Did you just ask me to take my shirt off?” Sunny asked shockingly and confused.

“I guess I did. Um..Sure, why not? We’re both girls, and it’s just like wearing a swimsuit. It’d make you look like some professional fitness girl. Aren’t you curious to see how you’d turn out?” Hyomin asked. Sunny still had a look of indecisiveness. “Come on, don’t be shy. If it was you asking me, I’d do it.”

Sunny agreed, slowly taking off her tshirt to reveal the navy blue adidas sports bra, but she turtled a bit feeling shy. Hyomin said it’s cute and alright and took photos anyway, with slight protest from Sunny.

“You look great! Don’t smile! Look tough! You’re a pro! You’re practicing for Wimbledon! Great” Hyomin said.

Click. Click. Click.

“Please! Hyomin, you make it seem awkward when you say that!” Sunny exclaimed.

“What?! Sorry, Sorry. No you look really great.”

Sunny took a few serves and Hyomin took a few more shots before the sun fell below the buildings on the horizon. The girls called it quits and Sunny put back on her shirt while Hyomin packed up her camera.

“I hope that wasn’t awkward for you. It must not have been easy, so thanks?”

“Umm, you’re welcome?” Sunny responded. She didn’t know quite to respond the whole situation.

****************

Jessica arrived at Yuri and Taeyeon’s home and followed Yuri’s instructions on to use the hidden key to get inside. She made her way through the home to the bathroom, where she could see there was no door handle. All was there was a hole where the handle used to be and bent down and peered inside and could see Yuri on the other side. Jessica let out a laugh to see Yuri distraught.

“This was the big emergency?”

“Yes, it’s not funny. I’ve been here for like over three hours now. I’m hurt, tired and hungry. Now help me get out!”

“Okay? How? The handle broke, and the latch bolt is still in the door well.” Jessica said.

She picked up the handle on her side of the door off the ground and tried to place it back on to turn the knob to release the latch bolt but it didn’t work. Jessica further examined why it wouldn’t open, she didn’t know what it was called but the hole where the spindle of the handle would go through was broken. If it had been bent, she could have worked to get the door open but it was just not there anymore.

“It won’t open, now what?”

“Just get me out of here!” Yuri protested.

“Like what? You want me to kick the door down?”

Yuri screamed yes and Jessica said okay with a shrug of her shoulders. She had advised Yuri to stand back. The bathroom door opened inwards, so Yuri couldn’t had possibly open the door from inside the bathroom by a kick. Jessica stepped back and performed a front kick to the door. The first try was unsuccessful, but on the second attempt the door flew open.

“Hi!” Jessica said, and flashed her phone for a photo. “I won’t know the next time I’ll get asked to kick down a door will be.”

“Did you just take a picture of me? I’m not wearing clothes! You can’t do what you did to Sunny with me! Hey! Jessica!”

“Hey, you asked me for help. It’s something for my memories. This will be the time I came in and saved Yuri’s life, and she was wearing just a towel. Sort of.” Jessica said and slid the phone up into legging of her spandex shorts she had underneath her skirt and helped Yuri out. “What will you tell Taeyeon about the door?”

“Um I don’t know. She’ll understand. We’ll just have to get it fixed,” Yuri answered.

She was had a slight limp from her slip and twisted ankle. She was a bit embarrassed by the situation, Jessica had gotten a photo of her in her less than best dressed and the phone was tucked someplace she couldn’t get to without seeming like a ert. Jessica must have known Yuri would have gone for the phone to try and deleted the picture so she stuck it in her spandex. She and Jessica were friends, good friends too, but she knew that she couldn’t just go reaching under her skirt. Maybe Sunny or Tiffany could get away with it, but she knew it would be awkward for the both of them if she just went for the phone. ‘You win for now’ she thought, but she secretly knew she wanted to get under that skirt.

“Yuri, you said you’re hungry but you have nothing in your refrigerator sweetie. I think you’ll have to go out to get something to eat.”

“Or you can get take out, and bring it back to me. I mean you don’t really want to eat out in tennis clothes do you?”

“It really doesn’t matter to me, but who said I would eat with you? Nevermind, you’re not really in any condition to go out, let me go get you something and I’ll be back.” Jessica said.

Yuri had just changed into clothes and Jessica walked out the door. Yuri smiled, this was nice for her. She would get Jessica alone for the evening, at least for dinner. Taeyeon had work after school, so they would be alone until at least nine thirty.

************************

“Are you hungry? Would you like to get something to eat? I mean tennis seemed tiring.” Hyomin asked Sunny as they drove out the parking lot of the courts.

“Why? Are you offering? You’re becoming generous lately. I still haven’t put together that computer yet, I was going to get to it...” Sunny answered brightly.

“Well you guys treated me to dinner last night, so I keep getting into your debt. Plus I got you to take off your shirt, I think I should pay you at least.” Hyomin said.

“You make me sound like some kind of stripper. Thanks, that’s so sweet of you,” Sunny said sweetly in a joking manner.

“Haha. That’s right! How’d you know? Let me treat you out to dinner.” Hyomin again pleaded.

“But we’re already in my neighborhood. We could just go to my house and eat. Why go out?” Sunny asked.

“I love your house and your roommates, but if we eat there then I just further be in your debt. At least this way, I get to treat you out. You know what, I’m driving so I’m in control!” Hyomin said taking the wrong turn to exit the neighborhood to find a place to buy dinner for Sunny.

Hyomin pulled to another chain of the casual dining restaurant that they went to before. They were seated in a booth and served their drinks. They placed their orders and even gotten an appetizer of chips and salsa.

“Chips and salsa is so good, but I think it’s a scam to get you to get full on this so then you can’t finish your meal,” Hyomin said with a mouth full of chips.

“Then why did you order it?” Sunny asked with a slight laugh.

“Because it tastes very good,” Hyomin answer, and then laughed with Sunny at the answer. “Sunny, I’m curious though. Where do the tennis balls go when you put them in your shorts?”

“What?” Sunny laughed.

“It’s just, I noticed you and Jessica would just pull tennis balls from out under the shorts or skirt, and you didn’t have any pockets, so where do the tennis balls go?”

“Um… you kind of just… you know what? Don’t worry about it, it’s a tennis thing. Super-secret among girl tennis players, I’d tell you but then I’d have to kill you,” Sunny laughed off as an answer.

The two continued their dinner and had opted to skip the cheesecake dessert. The comfort level between the girls had increased considerably. The two could talk with relatively ease.

“So what are you going to do with those pictures of me? Not going to sell them or anything are you?” Sunny asked in a jovial manner.

“Oh what?! No no no. These will become part of a private collection. I just wish they were hotter so I could blackmail you with it.” Hyomin answered wittingly.

“I’ve been so courteous to you. You have nothing to blackmail me on. I’m sorry dear.” Sunny said.

“Dear?”

“Sorry, I think I picked it up from Tiffany and Jessica. They used terms of endearment and pet names a lot. I started to pick it up I guess,” Sunny said.

“That’s really cute, do I get pet name?” Hyomin asked.

“What? Why would you have one? You don’t like me calling you Hyomin?” Sunny inquired.

“I’d like to think I’m special.” Hyomin pouted.

“Awww, you’re special. You think I’d take my shirt off for anyone?” Sunny said, as the waitress walk by to clear their plates. “Hehe, it’s not what you think. It was for a photo shoot. Not anything erted.”

The waitress smiled and politely nodded and it was fine. The Hyomin paid for dinner and walked Sunny out of the restaurant, but not of course without a photo of the two for her collection.

Click.

“Do you take pictures everywhere you go?”

“Of course, well almost. I’d like to keep memories handy. Never know when it’ll spark something.” Hyomin answered.

Hyomin drove Sunny back to her house well before nine. Sunny still had school in the morning and would be responsible for Hyunah’s trip to and from school. Hyomin was taking Jiyeon to and from school as well.

“Well what is your schedule like, maybe we can meet up during a break?” Sunny asked.

“Yes! That would be awesome! Let me write it down, it’s easier that way.” Hyomin quipped in excitement. She wrote down her schedule for Sunny, and in return Sunny wrote out her schedule for Hyomin. The two girls hugged and parted ways.

Sunny walked into the home to find Tiffany and Hyunah both studying and going through their books at the dining table. She waved hi and was told Jessica hadn’t came home yet. Hyunah was doing some math homework.

“I don’t think the teacher assistant is very good at teaching math. She gets her multiplication tables mixed up,” Hyuanh stated in Korean doing her Pre-Calculus homework.

“English!” Tiffany and Sunny both said at the same time to Hyunah. “What’s wrong with the TA?”

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s just not that good with math. She’s Korean too, her name is Sunhwa,” Hyunah answered.

“They wouldn’t have let her be a teaching assistant in math if she was bad at it. You’ll be fine Hyunah,” Tiffany said lightly. “Sunny where were you this evening?”

“I just came back from dinner with Hyomin. Jessica and I were playing tennis earlier but Jessica had to go help Yuri with something........ oh crap........ I left my racquet in her car,” Sunny said. She pulled out her phone to call Hyomin about the racquet.

“Tennis?” Tiffany asked.

“Yeah, Jessica and I are thinking about joining your club tennis team,” Sunny responded.

“Missed me already?!” Hyomin answered the call. “You forgot your tennis racquet in my car? Oh, okay. I’ll just hold onto it and get it to you next time I see you. Okay. Have a great night! Thanks for today.”