Chapter 20

Pictures of You

The smell coffee woke her up, otherwise she could have easily slept in. She didn’t have any plans for the day; she was pretty restricted to the house and bed. She took a deep breath and rolled up as if doing a sit-up, it stung a bit but so far through her experimentation it was the least painful way to get up. Large movements in her torso were painful, but twisting was by far the worst method of getting up.

A glance to the left showed that Hyunah was still asleep and wouldn’t be able to help her into the chair. Sunny propelled herself up and into the chair and rolled on out of the bedroom. Tiffany and Jessica were busy preparing breakfast. Tiffany was kind enough to make french toast for everyone. The sizzling sound danced their ways to Sunny who waited impatiently for breakfast. Jessica went to wake up Hyunah, who of course whined and said she was allowed to sleep in today because she only had two finals left, and they wouldn’t be for another two days. Tiffany had all of her finals still and Jessica had two left, so Sunny would be alone with Hyunah at home today.

“I have finals and then going to see Yuri and her cousin. I don’t know about Tiffany. So Sunny, take care of Hyunah!” Jessica said while eating her breakfast.

“Unnie! You said I was going to take care of Sunny! She can’t even walk! I don’t need to be taken care of!” Hyunah whined.

“That’s right of course! Always Hyunah, always. Take care of things here.”

Tiffany and Jessica left after breakfast for school leaving the two girls alone to clean up and finish their meal; well mostly Hyunah was doing it. Sunny wheeled herself to the sofa and transferred herself to rest a bit before she started taking her exams online. She’ll take two now and take a nap and do the rest later. She later scooted herself to the bedroom to turn on her computer, the same one she bought the parts to and built back in summer and she logged into her school online network. Hyunah was busy on her bed chatting on her laptop with friends back in Korea. After two hours she finally finished two exams and would take on a short nap.

*******************************

“Tiffany! How did you do? Did you do okay?” Taeyeon asked running down to Tiffany. Tiffany had finished half her finals and was tired. The school allowed 2 hours for each class for a final but Tiffany always try to take less time and tried to get out of there as soon as she could.

Taeyeon finished her finals already and only came to school to see Tiffany; she had a thermos of hot chocolate waiting to pour out a cup. It was particularly Taeyeon’s fault to wait for Tiffany outside on a bench in the snow. They haven’t had any large snowfall lately but it still lingered about on the grounds. Tiffany welcomed the warm beverage and her girlfriend.

“I’m surprised! What are you doing here, I didn’t expect to see you, and you said you were done.” Tiffany said, and took a seat next to Taeyeon.

“Not to brag or anything, but while waiting for you, I was hit on by like five guys. I think I’m a hot commodity now. I’m wanted.” Taeyeon cheerfully announced. She blew on the hot chocolate before serving it. “You should cherish what you have.”

“Are you trying to be cheesy? It just isn’t working for you dear. Oh and so you know, five ugly boys isn’t very impressive. I can get hit on simply by walking by the science building... just saying..” Tiffany jeered while taking sip of the warm liquid. She needlessly smacked her lips and smiled. “You really didn’t have to come all this way, I’m done for today now.”

“Well, I rode with Yuri and she already left... so I have no way of getting home. You wouldn’t leave your girlfriend here all alone would you?” Taeyeon asked, all the while snuggling into Tiffany.

“Oh my gosh, who are you and where is my girlfriend? You’re supposed to be the dork and grab at my , and now you’re trying to be all romantic? That’s my thing! If you steal my thing, what will I have? Awfully selfish of you, don’t you think?” Tiffany asked.

“You have me. Isn’t that enough?” Taeyeon answered. Tiffany scoffed at the thought that Taeyeon was becoming a romantic. “How are things at home?”

“They’re just fine. Sunny’s condition does get better, she brings some fun and excitement with it though. It’s really cute without being too overbearing. So I guess things are okay. How’s Yuri’s cousin?”

“She snores... quite loudly too. Oh you should hear it...” Taeyeon rambled on but then remembered to stop before going overboard. “So will you play with me today?”

“Of course.”

************************

“Jessica, it’s finally nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you from Yuri,” Yoona cheered with excitement. It was enough startle Jessica. She wasn’t usually cheerfully welcomed in such esteem so it was a surprise. “I’m Yoona, Yuri’s cousin.”

“Yes, I know. It’s nice to meet you too! Welcome! How has your stay been thus far? Has Yuri been nice?” Jessica asked.

“Of course, she’s been wonderful. When she first told me years ago that she thought she liked girls I was so surprised and then she wouldn’t stop talking about Jessica. She spent like the whole first year mispronouncing your name, it was so cute and now finally you two are together. It’s like a drama!” Yoona rambled.

“Yes of course, but not a very good drama though. I’m sorry to disappoint,” Jessica said in response feeling a little angered in Yoona’s presentation. The statement impeded on her guilt that always lingered somewhere inside of her. The guilt was the one that caused her to spend an enormous amount of money on Yuri’s Christmas present, or rather presents.

“Yes, Yoon, she knows the story. I’ve told it to her. We’re living it.” Yuri added, hoping to stop Yoona from doing anything embarrassing. “She’s hungry Jessica, we waited until you were done with your final. She wanted to visit a really nice place to eat.”

They took separate cars to Fogo De Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse that offers a nearly endless onslaught of fine meats and salads. Pricey, upscaled and definitely unique and Jessica said she would spring for the entire bill. No one ever left Fogo De Chao hungry, and neither would the three. They chatted freely and talked.

“How do you know of this place? We never been here before, this has to be special,” Yuri commented.

“Oh well you know, I heard about it from people at school. You guys like it right?” Jessica said. She had heard about the place from some people from school like she said, but she had always been with Sunny. It felt like a small secret between her and Sunny, but they did mention of the place to Tiffany. However only Jessica and Sunny been before, it was a place the suited to the needs of a carnivore such as Sunny.

“This place is amazing, there is so much beef here in America. Thank you Jessica for getting us here.” Yoona thanked and happily took another bite into her steak.

********************

She woke up to find herself alone in the room. Hyunah must have left for somewhere, but wait the girl didn’t drive so she possibly couldn't have gone anywhere. She took a deep breath and sat up in the bed and moved her way to her computer chair. She rolled to her desktop and pushed the key to wake her computer from sleep-mode. She opened the site she had bookmarked and proceeded to check out, carefully punching in the numbers of her debit card into the boxes. It seemed a bit expensive, she thought while looking at the “Submit” button. Oh what the hell, she clicked and completed the purchase and they said that it would be at her door days before Christmas.

She rolled herself into the living room and got to the couch, with the house to herself she might as well relax a bit and power up the PS3 and catch up on her games. Hyomin and the tennis team had taxed much of her game playing time, so she seldom had time to really just go wild with the controller. Not even thirty minutes into her game she was interrupted by a phone call.

“Hello? Mom? Hello! Isn’t it late over there, why are you calling?... Oh you just got in? You must be tired!...No mommy I’m doing okay. You saw me yesterday, I am fine. Yesterday I was okay and I’m okay today. Don’t worry too much about me. I’ll be okay... I eat healthy, or as healthy as I can. I am on a good diet...You’re on your way to unnie’s house? I wish I could be there too... No I’ll be sending the packages soon to her... I’ll be spending it with Jessica, Tiffany, Hyunah, Yuri, Taeyeon and Hyomin and her roommates... Yes, Hyomin and I are serious like that...”

“Well she and her house did spend Thanksgiving with us... Yes we celebrate that now, you have too! It’s not an American November without Thanksgiving... her friends are good people. They’re from Korea too. Jessica knows one of them from the SM training camps... It is such a small world... Hyomin’s parents? I don’t know... I haven’t met them, they live in Korea... No I don’t know where, why? Are you going to go visit them or something?... I won’t allow that... I don’t know if her parents know, it doesn’t matter. We’re not one to tell them...  it’s not our business mom. That’d be a little rude… no…I’m being safe… of course… yes she’s going to be coming over for Christmas… okay, well be safe mommy and I’ll talk to you later… I love you too,” Sunny finished and hung up the phone and returned to her game on the screen.

“Don’t be loud, Sunny unnie might still be asleep.” Hyunah said in Korean. “Oh wait, nevermind. She’s awake, the TV is on!”

Hyunah walked in with Sunhwa carrying bags and some take-out food. Sunhwa politely bowed to Sunny. Sunny greeted back and ask what was going on.

“Well, Jessica told me to pick up some things for you from the doctor, and then she said to get some food to eat. She left me $100 dollars for the doctor and food and said I could keep the rest... Sunhwa is here because I can’t drive, and I didn’t want to wake you so I gave her a called. She didn’t mind helping.” Hyunah explained. Sunny asked how much money was left over, but Hyunah just ‘hmm’ as an answer. Hyunah told Sunny it was time to eat and stop playing video games. Sunhwa waited at the dining table for Sunny to roll herself to the table.

Hyunah and Sunhwa must have came back from Korea Town, since the food was fried chicken from a Korean place. Sunhwa was surprising a very charming girl, and Sunny was glad that Hyunah had made friends, even if it was the math TA and tutor. Sunhwa had been in America longer than Hyunah, but sometimes it just seemed like she had lapses in thought and looked as if she was completely clueless to everything around her.

“Sunny are you well? I heard about the incident and I’m really glad to see you’re okay. You are doing okay right?” Sunhwa asked.

“I’m doing well. Hyunah and everyone has been taking care of me.”

“It seems weird to ask, but do you think you could show me the scars? I heard of what happened and I find it amazing I just want see...”

“Sunhwa!!!! I’m eating! You can’t ask her that!” Hyunah whined. “How unreasonable, and to think I invited you to my home!”

“Sorry! Sorry, sorry. I just thought to ask. I never seen a scar like that in person.”

“Maybe next time Sunhwa, maybe next time.” Sunny said with a light laugh. “Don’t worry about it, I think it was kind of cute for you to ask that. Weird, but cute.”

***************

“When I said you were being cheesy, this was not what I meant.” Tiffany said while dipping the chicken into the cheese. Taeyeon had graciously drove Tiffany and her car to ‘The Melting Pot’, a fondue restaurant.

“I thought I’d mix it up. Even my hands can get tired from grabbing butts and um... whatever it is they do, and besides I had a coupon. It was too good of a deal to pass up. You know you love this!” Taeyeon stated. “I can be cute and romantic. You just don’t know.”

“Oh, nothing wins a girl’s heart like melted cheese.” Tiffany joked. “But honestly this is new, your new level of crafty cuteness.What brought this about?”

“You’ll think it’s stupid, so I’d rather not say.” Taeyeon mentioned looking a bit embarrassed, but Tiffany waited for an answer. “It’s just when Sunny got hurt it seemed like maybe we should have more special moments together... I know how it seems...”

“No, I don’t think its wierd... I understand. Sunny’s mishap was an eyeopener to how quickly things can go bad, but she also showed that it can be okay as well. So you really went out of your way to try to make today special?”

“Okay no, not really okay... today is special but this isn’t like my full effort or anything. If you think this is good, wait until the real special comes. You’ll be crying tears of happiness...” Taeyeon began to get boast.

“That’s cute... you never done this before huh? I thank you dearly. You are the best girlfriend anyone could ask for. You try so hard and I love you for it.” Tiffany said and feed Taeyeon something she just dipped into the cheese.

The two continue to celebrate their seemingly ordinary special day, and even began to garner attention from others.

***************

“Did you kick or not?” Hyomin asked Jiyeon. Jiyeon had finished her last final and was now free from school for the next few weeks. She had done well in the summer session and confident that her skills during the Fall were always adequate to pass with A’s.

“You know I did! So it’s kind of cold out, let’s skip the Cherry-Limeade today. How did you do on your classes?” Jiyeon replied while getting into the passenger seat of Hyomin’s car.

“I did okay. I felt good, now I just want sleep, too much cramming and studying. I’m so tired... I don’t even want to drive right now...”

“Don’t joke like that okay! Gosh... I don’t want to go to the hospital...”

“Hey, that’s not funny. Don’t joke like that. It’s not my fault about Sunny... you know that... really! Not funny, you’re lucky I don’t make you walk home...”

“Sorry, gosh. Just drive and get us home. I’m hungry and tired and I want to celebrate. Let’s go. Go go go!”

“I’m older, stop ordering me around!” Hyomin protested, but drove anyways. They would still be home before Soyeon, who already told them she was going to be far too busy to cook for them. Finals had exhausted both of them, so she knew they would just nap and then most likely order takeout.

The minute the pop through the door, Jiyeon dropped her school bag and shredded her clothes off down to just her leggings and tank top. She walked in a bee-line towards her room and jumped onto her bed. Hyomin was still at the door looking at the trail of clothing that the young girl left behind. Unbelievable she thought as she kicked the clothes toward Jiyeon’s door, she looked inside but the younger girl already crawled into her sheets and closed her eyes.               

Hyomin decided to send a text out to Sunny, but she was met with a strange response.

‘Sunny unnie is busy getting dressed. I will tell her you messaged her- Hyunah’

Sunny getting dressed? It brought to Hyomin’s curious nature. She texted back asking what Sunny was planning to do, Hyunah answered that Sunny was about to go play outside.

**************

Jessica drove home to find four figures outside playing in the front yard of the little townhome. Jessica pulled up to see Tiffany’s Q5 in the driveway and parked next to it and went to the front yard figure what was going on. Sunhwa, Hyunah, Sunny and Tiffany playing in the snow. They were busy burying Sunny in the snow. Snowballs being tossed lightly around, in all observation it looked to be a joyful event but Jessica felt a sting of anger.

“What are you guys doing? Outside, in the snow, in the cold? Just what are you doing?! Sunny’s still recovering and she’s outside playing? Is that smart? What are you guys thinking?! Hyunah you’re supposed to take care of Sunny... I mean...” Jessica yelled out to the girls, interrupting their festivities.     

Hyunah and Sunhwa stood up in shock and looked at Jessica, all the laughing and playing stopped.

“Jessica, it’s okay, they’re just playing. No need to get bent out of shape. Sunny is fine, Jessi it’s okay, don’t worry so much,” Tiffany said as she stomped through the snow towards Jessica. She placed her hand on the elder girl and repeated that everything is fine.

“Fine… everyone get inside, let’s go. It’s getting dark and cold. Help Sunny inside! Now, let’s go.” Jessica said and went inside first leaving the rest of the girls to dig Sunny out from under the snow and made their way inside.

“Jessi, I’m okay! See, we were just having fun in the snow. Nothing dangerous.” Sunny reassured Jessica after she stepped inside. Jessica was being silent as a way to calm down from what seemed like a silly thing to get upset over.

There wasn’t dinner or anything prepared in the fridge so Jessica just dialed a number from one of the magnets on the stainless steel door and placed an order. Jessica then went to her room to change into her longue clothes. Tiffany came in the room and gently closed the door behind her.

“Jessi, are things okay? You seem pretty upset about the snow games. Hyunah is upset because she thinks you’re really mad at her. Sunhwa and Sunny are with her right now in the bedroom. Jessi sweetie, are you okay? You been a little more, I don’t know. It’s just that you’re more on edge and stressed a bit. Maybe it’s from the finals and the Sunny getting hurt. You just need to relax and calm down a bit. Okay?” Tiffany ranted off to Jessica and then gave her a gentle hug and rub on her back. “You’re the eldest girl here, you always take care of everyone but you need to relax.”

“I’m sorry, you’re right. I just have been so stressed lately. I guess I’m just on a short fuse, it’s temporary, I promise.” Jessica said. The two walked out of room together and Jessica went to Sunny and Hyunah’s room. She asked if she could just speak with Hyunah alone. Sunny and Sunhwa left the room and Jessica take a seat next to Hyunah. “Hyunah, I’m sorry I yelled at you. I didn’t mean to be angry or upset with you. You know I love you. I’m sorry; I’m just worried about Sunny that’s all. Is there anything I can do for you?”

“It’s okay Jessica, I didn’t mean for anything bad. We just wanted to have fun. I’m sorry Jessica,” Hyunah said.

“No no no. Don’t be sorry. I was the one who yelled at you. I’m sorry. I feel bad about it. You were just trying to have fun, it’s just been a bit stressful for me lately. You’re not upset at me are you?” Jessica said and gave Hyunah a gentle side hug. Hyunah hadn’t been crying, but just upset. Jessica’s apology seemed to have worked a bit in lifting the spirits of the younger girl.

“Sunhwa doesn’t have any family here, and I was wondering,well we were wondering if she could spend the holidays with us. Sunny and Tiffany didn’t mind. Tiffany said it was really sweet, but you’re the eldest so I needed to ask you...” Hyunah spoke shyly.

“Of course, she can stay. The more the merrier. I’m glad you found a friend. We were worried.” Jessica answered in excitement. She heard the doorbell ring. “That’s dinner! Come on, let’s go.”

The two exited the room and Jessica went to pay the delivery person for the food. The girls all gathered for dinner. Jessica announced that it would be okay Sunhwa to stay with them during the holiday winter break. Sunhwa stood up and bowed and thanked them all repeatedly. Sunhwa lived on dorm alone and she finally had a chance to spend time away from the dorm. She spent money on getting a driver’s license and a car, so she couldn’t afford to go home for the holidays, the the trip was far too expensive for her to make every year.

“So, wait where will Sunhwa sleep?” Tiffany asked, as if the question just came to realization in her head. Based on the looks of everyone else at the table, they just all skipped over the question too.

“No, it’s okay. I can sleep on the couch or in a sleeping bag. It’s okay. I don’t need much.” Sunhwa interjected.

“No, guest of ours shouldn’t sleep in sleeping bags. Or the couch.” Sunny said.

“She could sleep with me in my bed.” Hyunah said.

“No, you two barely fit. One of you will be on the floor in the morning bleeding all over the carpet.” Jessica said.

“How about Sunhwa sleep in Sunny’s bed? That way Hyunah and Sunhwa can be in the same room.” Tiffany reasoned.

“Then where will Sunny sleep?” Jessica asked.

“Umm... she could share a bed with you? I mean you don’t take up that much space right Jessica?” Tiffany replied. Jessica got flustered, but she was composed enough not to show it. The thought of sharing the same bed with Sunny could be problematic. Sunny was recovering and... just too many ‘ands’ actually.

“I feel bad, I don’t want anyone to give up their bed because of me...” Sunhwa said softly.

“No it’s okay. You can sleep in my bed. You should be comfortable here. I mean you’re away from home, and now you’re out of the dorm, the very least you should have a nice bed to sleep on.” Sunny said with a smile of reassurance. Sunhwa again thanked Sunny, and so did Hyunah.

It seemed settled. Sunhwa would come back the next day packed with some clothes and spend the nearly month long break with them, and Sunny would sleep in Jessica’s room. Tiffany ruled herself out because she said Taeyeon would spend the night randomly so it wouldn’t work out. Jessica said she’ll see to getting an inflatable mattress or something to let Sunny sleep to herself. Sunny insisted it was alright. They slept together before so it wasn’t anything to worry about it.

Sunhwa left shortly after dinner and the other girls prepared for the night. Tiffany checked the heater to make sure it was set a nice roomy and warm temperature to counteract the expected overnight snowfall. Hyunah was showering. Jessica was in the bedroom with Sunny. Jessica helped Sunny out of her t-shirt. Sunny wasn’t wearing a bra because of the sutures that ran along her ribcage; she just sat fully bare. Jessica’s heart raced as she gently moved her hands to remove the bandages off the sutures. The cut the doctors used to open up Sunny’s side to remove the lung was still healing. The doctors advise that the dressings be changed at least every two days, and once every day when she starts rehab.

“It’s not pretty to look at is it?” Sunny asked softly, in a more serious tone than she usually carried. It was the tone that most people normally don’t hear, but it wasn’t new to Jessica.

“It’s a bit different, but it’s not not pretty... I mean... you’re still pretty, it’s just you’ll have this very long scar and you can tell people you got into a fight with a dragon or something...” Jessica responded with a smile, hoping her failure of off put humor would lighten the mood.

“Don’t be silly. I know it looks gross. Like my skin is some kind of fabric and they just sewed it together.” Sunny said in the same tone as before.

“I’m never silly. It’s only gross if you want it to be. I still think that it’s beautiful, and will take more than a scalpel and a drunk driver in a truck to ruin that.” Jessica said as she gently wiped away some of the capillary blood on the skin. Sunny winced a bit when pressure was applied, but overall it wasn’t a painful experience.

“You only say that because you love me so much.” Sunny said with a soft smile.

“Sunny, how many times do I have to tell you?” Jessica said firmly and applied a new dressing to the long cut. “I totally, 100 percent, absolutely hate you. And you know what? I always will.”

“Fine, I hate you too.” Sunny said with a smile. She raised her arms, which actually was quite painful to do, and allowed Jessica to pull a t-shirt over her. “Thank you Jessi.”

“You’re welcome. Goodnight hon.” Jessica said, and gave Sunny a peck on the forehead. She got up and walked to her own room and closed the door. She fell onto her big, and took in big deep breaths. The pace of her heart began to slow and she reached for her cellphone to dial Yuri’s number. She couldn’t help it, but a tingly guilt crept into her and she had to talk to her girlfriend.

*******************

“Sunny! Did you have a good day?!... That’s good! I had a pretty okay day, all I did was finals but now it’s over! I’m free!... I know, I get carried away... Jiyeon? I think she plans to spend all break sleeping.... I think she seriously has a 4.0 though, it makes me look bad. I’m the older one...Is there anything new going on?... Sunhwa? The skinny girl? Innocent face, the one who was helping Hyunah with math homework?... She’s a TA and Hyunah’s math tutor? Interesting... What?! She’s staying the break with you guys?... She stole your bed?!... I don’t care if you gave it to her, it still sounds like stealing to me!... What? You’re gonna share a bed with Jessica?!... Why? How? I mean your injuries, aren’t you recovering? You can’t be in a bed with someone else. That’s just not possible.... I don’t care if Jessica doesn’t move in her sleep, it still makes me very nervous...Fine, I won’t worry only because you say so... You’re mom called you? She asked about me? What about me?... She’s still not worried that I’m a gold digger am I?... You don’t know what she wants, or you won’t say?... Oh, okay. Well I don’t know if you really know or not. If you don’t know then I will believe you.... Okay....Are you feeling good?... That’s good... Oh, it still hurts, I’m sorry. That sounds bad... You’re tired?... Oh the medicine makes you drowsy and sleepy?... Okay, I’ll call you tomorrow.... Night Sunny.”