Nine

Red Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was nervous.

Not the kind of fluttering, butterflies-in-your-stomach kind of nervous but the nail-biting, fidgeting kind of nervous. She folded her hands neatly in her lap, but every so often she kept rubbing them together to occupy herself. She couldn't look at the man sitting right next to her, and shifted her gaze out the windows at the passing scenery. She could hear his soft breathing, his light tapping on the steering wheel and could see him glancing at her out of the corner of her eye. 

She gulped. The ready excitement that filled her when she left was replaced by a steady anxiety that refused to cease. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all. Maybe she couldn't just let go of the past that easily. Maybe all this baggage she carried around wasn't so easy to let off. 

It won't end well, a nasty little voice inside her head spoke, He'll deceive you and break your heart. All men are like that.

For a brief moment, she couldn't breath. The intensity of the fear that suddenly swelled within her was too much to overcome. Her mind was instantly filled with what-ifs and her heart was slowly be moving encumbered with memories of the past. This wouldn't do, she thought uneasily.

"Are you okay?"

His gentle voice pulled her out of her trance. Despite herself she turned and found herself facing his brown eyes. She timidly looked down at her lap, her face becoming warm at the way he was looking straight at her. 

"I'm fine." She stuttered, hoping he couldn't see how nervous she was. No matter how much she tried to deny it, he was very good-looking and somehow she just couldn't bear looking straight into his eyes for more than a fleeting second.

"Good." He chuckled lightly, the sound echoing in her ears. "I thought you're tired of me already."

She smiled slightly, tucking her hair behind her ear as she looked at the road ahead.

"Where are we going?" She started, attempting at small talk. Remaining silent seemed impolite. 

"You'll see." The corner of his mouth lifted up, as if thinking about something only he knew. He darted a smile at her before turning his attention back to driving. 

Somehow, in some myterious way, her fears and uneasiness gradually subsided. She exhaled and found herself hopeful again, just as the serene blue sky that hung above her outside the windows of the car. 

Everything would be fine.

 

The car came to a stop, jolting her out of her daydreaming. She sat up straight to see Sehun getting off the car. She was about to get out herself when Sehun suddenly appeared outside the passenger side and opened the doors for her like a true gentleman. 

"Thank you." She said in a small voice as she alighted the car. He closed the doors, and put the keys in his pocket before he started walking. She followed him, looking at her surroundings. They were in a small field, with tall willows and large bushes of whippoorwills swaying in the breeze. She extended her hand, feeling the willows glided past her skin as she walked. The hem of her sundress lightly rose and fell, and before she knew it she took off her shoes and started running. She ran passed an amused Sehun, her arms stretched out wide as the breeze played with her hair and the willows caressed her legs. She began to twirl, like how she saw people did it in movies, in small circles around and around. Lifting her head up to the sky, she closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, feeling every last bit of anxiety and insecurity slip through her fingers like quicksand. 

The breeze gently blew her hat off her head, but Sehun caught it in his arms. She opened her eyes and jolted out of her silly reverie when she realized he was standing right in front of her, his arms gently putting the hat back onto her head. 

"Come." He smiled, and grabbed her hand in his. The sudden contact startled her, and she almost jerked her hand back. Somehow, despite the chilly weather, his hand felt warm and comforting. Even though he was younger than her, he was taller and his hand was big enough to envelope her small hand completely. She could feel her cheeks slowly reddening, and could only stared at his back as he led her through the field. 

Once he reached the edge of the field, he quickly released her hand and covered her eyes with his hands. 

"Guess where you are." He whispered into her ear, the gesture made her all the more fluttered. 

"I...I don't know." She answered, feeling her cheeks becoming more heated at the warmth of his hands. He chuckled before slowly removing his hands. She opened her eyes, and her lips spread into an amazed smile when she saw everything that was in front of her. 

At the edge of the field, the ground descended downwards into a small slope that led to a beautiful lake. She could see the lush green trees dotting the edge of the water. She could see the entire blue sky reflected in the clear water. Some birds were playf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter