Prologue

Red Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

S "Bom, it's me. Open up." Hanyeol lightly knocked on the wooden doors. "Bom open the doors I have food for you." She called, balancing a tray of food on her hand as she rapped on the doors with the other. 

There was no answer from the other side. No sound to indicate if someone was even living inside the room. Hanyeol tried again a few more times before sighing and setting the tray on the ground in front of the room. 

"One of her days again?" Hanseuk commented, not looking up from the newspaper she was reading. She nonchalantly sipped coffee every now and then as Hanyeol stood there with one hand on the stairs' rail with a worried expression.

"Unfortunately, yes." Hanyeol walked over to sit opposite from Hanseuk at the mahogany dining table. "She just completely shuts everyone out when she feels like it."

"It's not like you aren't used to it." Hanseuk took her eyes off the newspaper to glance over at the other female. "She's probably thinking about...it again."

'It' being something strictly taboo even when their niece wasn't around. 'It' was the cause for everything in the first place.

"It's been years." Hanyeol started, pouring herself some tea. "Shouldn't she have...recovered by now?"

"It's not really a disease that one can get better from. And besides," Hanseuk lifted her glasses. "The trauma was too great. We should feel grateful that she's even living right now."

"She isn't living, Hanseuk." Hanyeol contradicted, somewhat vehemently. "She's surviving. There's a difference."

For a few moments there was silence between the two women. A silence that spoke of their mutual concern for their only niece, Park Bom. 

"What do you think she need?" Hanyeol broke the silence. "She can't live like this for the rest of her life. She has to move on."

Hanseuk contemplated a question and for the nth time out herself in her niece's shoes. If she had to through what her niece went through, what would she need to motivate her to continue living?

And, like all the previous attempts, she drew to a blank. She just couldn't imagine herself living with that much pain.

"I don't know." She stated gloomily. "I really don't."

"I think she needs love."

The statement coming from Hanyeol got the other woman lowering her newspaper. For a moment she stared at Hanyeol as if the woman spouted another head. 

"Really? Don't you know how that turned out?"

"I know but..." Hanyeol tried to articulate. "I meant another love that will heal her. Nurture her wounds and enable her to leave the past behind."

"You know that would be impossible with her, right?" 

She didn't blame her niece. After what happened, she wouldn't exactly be thinking about love either. In her niece's eyes, love was a big fat lie.

"That's why we have to make it happen." Hanyeol suggested, a determined spark in her eyes. Hanseuk knew her for long enough to know that Hanyeol was up to something.

"How?" Hanseuk questioned doubtfully. "You know she thinks that everybody is like..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter